Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

EBay: Reinstating negative seller feedback

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-02-17, 02:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A recent EBay transaction went hilariously wrong, and while it did work out in the end (I used a different seller), I dinged the first seller with a negative rating. This afternoon I received an email that my comment (but not the rating itself) had been removed due to "Comments Not Related to the Transaction". The email went on to say that
Leaving a comment that isn't relevant to the transaction isn't allowed. This includes comments with political, religious, or social commentary, as well as comments about an unrelated transaction.
My comment was completely related to the transaction, and I considered it important to explain how this guy operates, so complained to EBay. The CSR seemed perfectly competent and agreed with me, but in the end said he had no ability to un-hide comments, and that supervisors were in the same boat.

I can't be the only person to find themselves in this situation. Has anyone ever been able to get a negative comment reinstated?
Old 08-02-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: EBay: Reinstating negative seller feedback

I just stopped leaving feedback entirely. If the transaction goes well, I do nothing. If bad, I challenge with eBay. There's no point in doing anything else.
Old 08-02-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

I've had an idiot buyer leave a negative feedback on my account event though the item was as described and shipped the same day. This is basically what he wrote "Wish I had waited. I could have gotten it for $3 cheaper at Walmart". It was a buy it now purchase and I had free shipping which would still make mine cheaper than him purchasing it and shiping it from Walmart.

I called Ebay and said the feedback needed to be removed because it was clearly buyers remorse and he was advertising a competitor in the feedback. Ebay removed the comment only and not the negative as the should have. I called back and complained and they said they could only remove the comment and not the negative because it was the buyers perspective. I asked them to put the comment back up then since it would make it clearer to future buyers that this guy was just an ahole leaving feedback due to remorse. They refused to put the feedback back up.
Old 08-03-17, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. Guess it's really not so easy to do.

Nobody asked, but in my case I was buying an out-of-print boxed set with supplies dwindling rapidly, and chose the seller in part based on their very detailed shipping schedule and policies. The "1-3 Days Processing Time" window came and went, so I requested my order status and my BS-meter started tingling. The package finally shipped 7 business days later but what arrived was the wrong version...direct from Best Buy! I understand drop-shipping, but in this case they weren't even trying to obscure the source. I gave him a negative rating and complained again. His reply was that "the item that you received from Best Buy was sent to you in error. It had been intended for our facilities for research purposes and is definitely not the item that we intended for you to received. Your actual order is still on it's way and should arrive later this week." I was skeptical, but gave him a couple more days. Another package did arrive...direct from Critics Choice (i.e. Super D)...and it was also the wrong version! Some of the seller's other negative feedback states that he "sells items he doesn't have". I don't know if he buys everything online or if I just got lucky, but in this case his well-laid plans failed because I also know who all the online merchants are and did that homework first. My removed comment stated
Missed own shipping schedule, then sent wrong item c/o Best Buy. Amateur hour.
Old 08-03-17, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

About 1-2 years ago I sold a BD from Well Go USA -- it was in Mandarin with English subtitles. The fucking idiot left negative feedback, because it had subtitles. The listing also had it in the description. I guess he must have been drunk bidding or some shit. I filed a complaint with eBay and they never removed it. The guy who left the feedback had 100% and thousands of positive feedback, so don't know what his issue was. I eventually came back up to 100% positive on my end, but all I was able to do was block the buyer from bidding on anything I list. The guy also never asked for his money back either, so he was being a passive aggressive toss pot.
Old 08-03-17, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I bet working Ebay customer service is a helluva job. I got negative feedback when I sold a Beta VCR which was working fine- although I covered myself by saying in the listing "Since this is an old item it is being sold as-is with no returns or refunds." The buyer then claimed it didn't work but it seemed like he just didn't know what he was doing- he wouldn't even send a picture of the problem when I asked. I just accepted that he was going to leave negative feedback and I was able to add a comment "I specified that this was an as-is sale, and it was working before I sent it."

I recently left negative feedback for a guy in Australia who is selling bootleg 3D Blu-Rays in side-by-side format- I had my doubts to begin with but took a gamble on Friday the 13th Part 3. It turned out to be just the same eye view in both sides, but made to look pushed in a little bit. The actual delivery had no issues, but since these discs are likely made by the seller himself I felt it was important and has hopefully kept others from getting ripped off.
Old 08-03-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I recently left negative feedback for a guy in Australia who is selling bootleg 3D Blu-Rays in side-by-side format- I had my doubts to begin with but took a gamble on Friday the 13th Part 3. It turned out to be just the same eye view in both sides, but made to look pushed in a little bit. The actual delivery had no issues, but since these discs are likely made by the seller himself I felt it was important and has hopefully kept others from getting ripped off.
You can open a case for that, and one of the options for reason is "suspected counterfeit".
Old 08-04-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Quick question, I'm trying to write a (positive) review for a seller I had a recent transaction with, but the only review options I get are for the product, not the seller.

What gives?
Old 08-04-17, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

You're in the wrong place then.

Try this:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/BayISAPI.dll?LeaveFeedback2
Old 08-05-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I just stopped leaving feedback entirely. If the transaction goes well, I do nothing. If bad, I challenge with eBay. There's no point in doing anything else.
This. I also don't give two-shits about Yelp, Google, etc. reviews. A restaurant can serve 5000 people, and receive 1 online review. And of course it's from someone who thought the food had too much salt on it or whatever. The system is so useless.

I lost faith in that whole review thing. I just don't care anymore.
Old 08-12-17, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts

When I buy something, I usually leave feedback a day or two after I get the item if there are no problems. I was going to leave feedback on a recent item and noticed that the seller has never left feedback for anyone. Their feedback is all positive, about 150 transactions. Would you leave feedback for a seller who has never left feedback for anyone?
Old 08-14-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
When I buy something, I usually leave feedback a day or two after I get the item if there are no problems. I was going to leave feedback on a recent item and noticed that the seller has never left feedback for anyone. Their feedback is all positive, about 150 transactions. Would you leave feedback for a seller who has never left feedback for anyone?
somebody has to leave feedback first. If everyone waited for the other person to leave it first, everyones feedback score would be 0.
Old 08-14-17, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
somebody has to leave feedback first. If everyone waited for the other person to leave it first, everyones feedback score would be 0.
Neat fact... On Amazon, our business receives feedback from about 1 in 200 or 1 in 300 transactions. I think there are less and less people putting stock in feedback anymore. The whole concept is flawed, and generally detrimental to the businesses.
Old 08-14-17, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

There's no incentive for an Amazon buyer to leave positive feedback, unlike eBay where both parties leave feedback.

And, on top of that, the way Amazon displays buyer feedback blows ass.
Old 08-14-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
This seller's feedback rating is 100%, again about 150 transactions. When you look at their feedback, you can see "Feedback left for others", whether it be for buying or selling. They have never left feedback for any transaction, ever. I appreciate receiving feedback and I will leave it first if I'm buying, but if I know the seller will never reciprocate, why should I bother?