Flo Steinberg, Stans "Girl Friday" dies

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 07-24-17, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

http://ew.com/news/2017/07/23/flo-st...ecretary-dies/

She probably had a lot to do with the early days of Marvel during the Silver Age, but pretty much stayed out of the limelight and most of her influence on the company was behind the scenes.
Old 07-24-17, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: Flo Steinberg, Stans "Girl Friday" dies

Every story that I've heard is that she was the one that kept the place organized, running like a fine tuned machine. I've never heard anyone from any generation say anything but great things about Flo.
Old 07-24-17, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

It seemed like I would see Flo mentioned constantly in the Bullpen Bulletins and Letters Pages.

I always envisioned some silver haired 60 year old Librarian type. When I finally saw pictures of her at the height of Marvel's Silver Age prime, my jaw hit the floor. She was not only young, she looked adorable. And yeah, it did sound like she was indispensable to Marvel functioning at the high level it did in those days. IIRC she also spent some time at Warren, working her BTS magic over there as well.
Old 07-25-17, 08:04 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

She became a publisher, and later returned to Marvel as a proofreader. If the wiki is correct, Marvel lost years of her service over a $5 raise.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flo_Steinberg
Old 07-25-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
It seemed like I would see Flo mentioned constantly in the Bullpen Bulletins and Letters Pages.

I always envisioned some silver haired 60 year old Librarian type. When I finally saw pictures of her at the height of Marvel's Silver Age prime, my jaw hit the floor. She was not only young, she looked adorable. And yeah, it did sound like she was indispensable to Marvel functioning at the high level it did in those days. IIRC she also spent some time at Warren, working her BTS magic over there as well.
Had never seen a picture of her until I just looked it up recently. She had an exotic look to her in a few of the pictures I've seen. She almost looked to be of Asian decent. If you listen to her in this record from the MMMS from the 1960's you can definetly hear her Bostonian accent.

Old 08-05-17, 07:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised no one mentioned her appearance in What If #11 (Oct 1978): "What if the Original Marvel Bullpen Had Become the Fantastic Four?"
Steinberg was The Invisible Girl, Sol Brodsky, Marvel's production manager, was The Human Torch, Jack Kirby (who wrote, pencilled and edited the story) was The Thing, and Stan Lee was Mister Fantastic.

https://magazinesandmonsters.com/2015/08/17/whatif11/

http://gone-and-forgotten.blogspot.c...l-bullpen.html