Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Fortnite

Old 12-12-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fortnite

what did you guys think of this trailer?

my thoughts

Spoiler:
Cliffyb was like "OMG MINECRAFT! we need rip that idea off. Oh, Team Fortress graphic style! And funky hats on characters too! Dickjoke!!"
Old 12-12-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Fortnite

I don't know what the game is about.

The Fortnite teaser has a definite Team Fortress 2 vibe and indicates that the game will involve fortress building by day and fortress defense by night.
Hmm, better have Gears 4 ready for 2013 Epic!
Old 12-12-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a whole lot to go on in that trailer. I'll reserve judgment for now.
Old 12-12-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.gamefocus.ca/news/15627.h...medium=twitter

Called it.

The information given says, "I see lots of questions asking if Fortnite is freeform construction. It is. It’s not scripted or just boarding up existing structures". Furthermore, Perry says that, "it stands to reason if you can build a world, anything can be destroyed. That’s about all I’m tossing out there for now " and “chance of weapon crafting/traps, lvl system, underground exploration, Boss fights, team survival mode, rare loot? Fortnite Chances? High". Perry doesn’t deny that the game is inspired somewhat by Minecraft, which is great news for those of us who like building games. Add on the idea of weapons, and it sounds like it has a bunch of potential. Think of it as Nazi Zombies for those of us who crave a lot more depth, which could really appeal to tons of gamers.
Old 12-12-11, 04:04 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pass
Old 12-12-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

More Zombies, ugh.
Old 06-08-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts

Epic Games has announced that Fortnite - the third-person 'action building' game - will be coming to Paid Early Access on Xbox One, PS4 and PC on July 25th.

In Fortnite, players team up to build massive forts and battle against hordes of monsters, all while crafting and looting within giant worlds where no two games are ever the same, according to the press release.

“Bringing Fortnite to life has been a true labor of love by a talented and dedicated team over many years,” says Darren Sugg, Creative Director on Fortnite. “We’re excited to share the experience and start playing along with more gamers in Early Access this summer.”

Fortnite Founders Packs give players entry to the Early Access Season, access to exclusive in-game events in 2017, and offers a huge value on stuff like Heroes, loot, weapons, and in-game boosts.

Players who pre-order a Founder’s Pack will get a four-day head start beginning on July 21st, along with the exclusive Storm Master Weapon Pack.

Additionally, Epic Games has partnered with Gearbox Publishing to distribute a boxed retail version of the game for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One - we expect more information on that soon.

Epic Games debuted a new gameplay trailer today highlighting Fortnite’s unique mix of exploration, building, defense, and combat - you can check it out below.

Fortnite is coming to Founders on PS4 and Xbox One on July 21st, and Early Access begins in earnest on July 25th. A full release date is not yet available.

<iframe width="620" height="349" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gZWg4iXp_lE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news...e-in-July.html
Old 06-08-17, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

That is one long fortnight!
Old 06-09-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

The video Gerry posted is not working for me but this is what I saw on playstationlifestyle......

Overall I like the look and concept....something all ages could get into. Has a bit of Overwatch, Battleborne with a Dungeon Defenders concept and added Build & Defend element along with crafting. Be interesting on amount of characters that might be added but looks fun. I would say I'll jump in on the bottom Founder's Pack much like I did with Paragon
Old 07-19-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

48 hours to go on this and can't wait. I think this game is gonna be big.
Old 07-19-17, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
48 hours to go on this and can't wait. I think this game is gonna be big disappointment.
Yeah, me too

I'm just curious to check it out after such a long wait. Almost 6 years since the reveal trailer.
Old 07-20-17, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Almost forgot about this...honestly I was eyeing "Orcs Must Die ". Will be interesting and like the concept of not just defend but building your own defense beyond just guns and weapons. More curious as to how matchmaking and getting a team up works because that will matter big time.
Old 07-20-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Almost forgot about this...honestly I was eyeing "Orcs Must Die ".
PS4 - Orcs Must Die! Unchained is currently free as well as the PS Plus pack add-on https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...DUNCHAINED0001
Old 07-20-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Music
PS4 - Orcs Must Die! Unchained is currently free as well as the PS Plus pack add-on https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...DUNCHAINED0001
The entire game is Free.....I thought the page I went to was some add-on saying it was Free to PS+ subscribers...I didn't know the game itself was...well that's cool....
Old 07-20-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks! I played the shit out of Orcs Must Die! on 360, so I'll give this a shot.
Old 08-03-17, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After about two weeks I absolutely love this game. Can't stop playing.
Old 08-03-17, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Larry...are you PS4 or XB1?.......

I saw a article on a game site a few days ago that said Fortnite already had 500,000 playing 5-6 days after release. I saw a friend playing who was level 4-5 and asked how he liked it and haven't heard back. He's a big Destiny fan but I haven't seen him play anything but Fortnite this whole week.

How does the matchmaking part work with getting in a group and level wise?I'd like to give it go even though I already have too much going with Diablo (Necromancer DLC), a bit of Elder Scrolls and giving Neverwinter a try....plus already in for Star Wars Battlefront II. But this does look fun with some actual thinking and planning needed.
Old 08-03-17, 09:45 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
After about two weeks I absolutely love this game. Can't stop playing.
Could you give us some details? You playing with a group of friends?

One thing that has kept me from getting this is it is a free to play game that they want money for to get early access. This seems to be the new model for free to play, but I don't want to spend 40-60 bucks on a game, only to find the free to play model lowers my enjoyment once I get far enough into the game...
Old 08-03-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see a free version up on PSN. Is that not the free to play version?
Old 08-03-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I see a free version up on PSN. Is that not the free to play version?
It's just a client. Here's what the description says :

NOTE: A Founder’s Pack is required to play Fortnite. The Early Access season begins on July 25th.
Old 08-03-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

The Free-to-Play version is next year, this is the current Fee-to-Play version.
Old 08-03-17, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Free-to-Play version is next year, this is the current Fee-to-Play version.

I guess this is the latest thing...basically sounds like a year long "Paid Beta"...I can understand some amount but full price a year away...???

Last edited by K&AJones; 08-03-17 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-10-17, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Could you give us some details? You playing with a group of friends?

One thing that has kept me from getting this is it is a free to play game that they want money for to get early access. This seems to be the new model for free to play, but I don't want to spend 40-60 bucks on a game, only to find the free to play model lowers my enjoyment once I get far enough into the game...
Details... I do play with groups of friends. I have used matchmaking and posted LFG's. As far as gameplay goes the maps are procedure generated. If you like exploring and I mean every building and structures have fully furnished rooms and even hidden basements and attics. You are constantly searching for resources and loot and trying to complete daily, side and challenge quests during your main missions. You complete this quests and mission for rewards, XP and loot llamas. The in game currency is called V bucks and can be used to purchase llamas. Llamas get you heroes and survivors which are your main sources of your power level. There are two sets of skill trees one is your basic standard skill tree where you gain skill points as you earn XP and there's the research skill tree in which is time based. You accumulate points over time to unlock different skill nodes.

The building is really fun and with practice you get really good at building extremely fast and you can build some really cool shit.

The combat is great the shooting feels excellent. Each Hero has different abilities and specialties. Every hero can use all weapons and they all can build. So they do a good job of letting you play as a constructor but still kick ass. The variety of weapons is great. Some really cool guns in the game. Heroes and weapons as well as survivors can be leveled up and eventually evolved to higher levels

Weapons have durability so they eventually break so when they get low it's best to recycle them for resources. When you find weapons in the world they are normally almost broken. You can use them for a bit. The way it works is you get weapon schematics via loot llamas which you level up and evolve so you build the weapons with resources you loot. It's also how you craft your ammo.

But the best part for me is out smarting the A.I. to funnel the hordes through what I call death tunnels. I build these corridors filled with fun and unique traps and watch like a mad scientist my creation's success. Traps work just like weapons and you get a lot of variations. The challenge is to built a structure where the weak points are the death tunnels. It's a blast.

It's hard to compare this game with anything else. It has the charm and feel of Overwatch (ok maybe not that far) with a bit of plants versus zombies and orcs must die, with building elements with a progression and loot system similar to destiny and the division.

I hope this answers what questions you may have.

P.S. in regards to the free to play model. If you were to spend $40-$60 now you would experience an enhanced level of progression and loot compares when it becomes free to play. Additionally you would be supporting a very talented staff and studio. This beta version is vastly more complete game then most studios put out nowadays.

Last edited by Larry C.; 08-10-17 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-20-17, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So is there a "Free Version" of not?.....

...the other night someone jumped in our party and asked does anyone have Fortnight and we ere like, "nope....costs too much for a beta and got other games". He said no, it's free. So afterward I go to the PSStore and check the game out and see not one but four versions...starting around $24 up to like $100...and that doesn't look like Free to me.

I haven't read into the game, long term, what's coming or going, changes and all but what do you really need to play the basic part...just the entry Deluxe Version or something else. I don't really need another game but one of us has some friends playing and they thought you had to buy one of the versions.
Old 10-20-17, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the Battle Royale (with cheese) is the free to play mode (100 player PvP)

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...RTNITETESTING1

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.