Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Food Network Star season 13 (2017) (+ Comeback Kitchen)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-22-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

The thirteenth season of the American reality television series Food Network Star premiered June 4, 2017 on Food Network. Food Network chefs Bobby Flay and Giada de Laurentiis returned to the series as judges. Episodes air Sundays at 9|8c.
Contestants:

Addie Gundry 30 Lake Forest, Illinois Cookbook Author/Chef
Amy Pottinger 32 Honolulu, Hawaii Food Blogger
Blake Baldwin 30 Flemington, New Jersey Marketing Manager/Home Cook
Caodan Tran 29 Dallas, Texas Personal Chef
Cory Bahr 40 Monroe, Louisiana Chef
David Rose 35 Atlanta, Georgia Caterer
Jason Smith 39 Grayson, Kentucky Cafeteria Manager
Matthew Grunwald 24 Scottsdale, Arizona Restaurant Chef
Nancy Manlove 65 Texas City, Texas Chef
Rusty Hamlin Atlanta, Georgia Executive Chef
Suzanne Lossia 42 Detroit, Michigan Personal Chef
Toya Boudy 34 New Orleans, Louisiana Personal Chef
Trace Barnett 27 Brilliant, Alabama Food Blogger

Comeback Kitchen Contestants
Rob Burmeister, Season 12
Danushka Lysek, Season 9
Emilia Cirker, Season 11
Jamika Pessoa, Season 5
Josh Lyons, Season 8
Joy Thompson, Season 12
Matthew Grunwald, Season 11
Old 06-22-17, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
Re: Food Network Star season 13 (2017) (+ Comeback Kitchen)

Loved seeing Matthew back. Always enjoy people who disrupt these shows with their antics.
Old 06-22-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sooooo this show kind of slipped off my radar, and I've watched five episodes this week (the first three being Comeback Kitchen) to nearly get caught up. The show has definitely lost a lot of its luster by not giving the winners, y'know, actual cooking shows, but in fairness I rarely watched those anyway, and this is pretty much the only thing I watch on Food Network these days.
Old 06-22-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Sooooo this show kind of slipped off my radar, and I've watched five episodes this week (the first three being Comeback Kitchen) to nearly get caught up. The show has definitely lost a lot of its luster by not giving the winners, y'know, actual cooking shows, but in fairness I rarely watched those anyway, and this is pretty much the only thing I watch on Food Network these days.
Primarily the winners are used as judges/hosts on food comp shows on the network. Eddy (The BBQ Guy) and Dameris (who I think still has a show) host a Kids BBQ contest together.
Old 06-22-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Not really seeing any frontrunners yet ... We usually really enjoy this show, but I think my wife has ended up reading her book by the end of each episode so far.
Old 06-23-17, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Not really seeing any frontrunners yet ... We usually really enjoy this show, but I think my wife has ended up reading her book by the end of each episode so far.
I tend to forget the names without a picture, but...

Rusty, the one who looks like a lawn gnome, has won FN's "Baking Contest" and is very personable on screen.

Corey, the bearded chef, was clearly on Flay's radar in Episode One, and I think he's definitely the type they're always looking for (Manly, but appealing to The Ladies).

The blonde food blogger, -the less organized, more life-like one, -has shown up well so far.

Mathew has definitely improved for this third try, and he has skills, but I just think he's not quite warm and natural enough to win, though he does his best to fake it.
Old 06-23-17, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There was one judge in the first regular episode called Monti Carlo, which I figured had to be a fake name, but there's no mention of it in Wikipedia or her website. Pretty cute regardless.

Originally Posted by DWilson
Primarily the winners are used as judges/hosts on food comp shows on the network. Eddy (The BBQ Guy) and Dameris (who I think still has a show) host a Kids BBQ contest together.
This is where not watching other FN shows makes me lose track of these people. I mostly see them when they return to this show as mentors or judges.

Originally Posted by DWilson
I tend to forget the names without a picture, but...

Rusty, the one who looks like a lawn gnome, has won FN's "Baking Contest" and is very personable on screen.

Corey, the bearded chef, was clearly on Flay's radar in Episode One, and I think he's definitely the type they're always looking for (Manly, but appealing to The Ladies).

The blonde food blogger, -the less organized, more life-like one, -has shown up well so far.

Mathew has definitely improved for this third try, and he has skills, but I just think he's not quite warm and natural enough to win, though he does his best to fake it.
Yeah, Matthew is much better, but it helps when you get that many bites at the apple. I wonder what goes into bringing someone back, like if they figure they've done some relevant TV work and might be better, or if it's purely a matter of who will bring the ratings and who will agree to do it again.

I get confused by the two blondes (one looks like a young Hillary Clinton, while the Middle Eastern contestant looked like Idina Menzel), but I do like the less-polished, non-chef one (I think).
Old 06-25-17, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk God

@ Matthew this week. Just took over the group demo.
Old 07-06-17, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
@ Matthew this week. Just took over the group demo.
I would have shut him down immediately. I'm rooting for the guy from Kentucky. He's corny but a nice person, entertaining, and a good cook.
Old 07-06-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I get it, the show needs "a villain" but just stop already with Matthew. He was an ass the first time he appeared on Chopped and has become a bigger ass every time somebody puts him on TV. If he was worthwhile, they would have given him a show already. He is only there to provoke the real contestants. I can't believe they are actually encouraging him. He should have been bitch-slapped and sent home for his stunts which impacted other contestants.

I will say this much though, at least he has some cooking credibility unlike the usual "Giada's wet in the panties" hunky schlubs that they usually keep around despite them having no cooking or hosting talent.
Old 07-06-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Actually he is much more subdued this time around. He is still annoying but far from what he was the last time he was on this show.
Old 07-07-17, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's all about the edit, and they're editing Matthew as an irritant. That makes me think they intend him to be in the finale, but he'll lose to the one they have in mind (this particularly will work if the audience has a vote, -Matthew will never win that way). He's improved, he's capable, but I don't know if they'd give him a show, -but they might let him judge on one. I'm thinking it's Cory or Jason.

Last edited by DWilson; 07-10-17 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-09-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have to LOL when I see Giada after her recent meltdown on Ellen with Nicole Kidman.
Old 07-09-17, 04:54 PM

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I have to LOL when I see Giada after her recent meltdown on Ellen with Nicole Kidman.
Not sure what you mean by this.

If anything Giada came off better than Nicole Kidman who looked like a stupid rude bitch.

Giada clearly told Nicole that was the 'presentation' plate that had been sitting under the hot studio lights for who knows how long. Ellen and tired schtick of eating something she is clearly not meant to is the one who caused the problem and Nicole followed right along.

Giada did her job and handled the rude way she was treated with class.

There was no reason for Nicole to say anything on camera about it tasting awful. You didn't see Giada calling Nicole out for being box office poison and not being able to open a film since Moulin Rouge.
Old 07-14-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finally got caught up with the season!

Jason is my current favorite, though Cory is fine too. Rusty and the muscle-y guy don't do much for me, nor does Amy. Matthew isn't as bad as he used to be, but he's still smug and annoying.
Old 07-14-17, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
Finally got caught up with the season!

Jason is my current favorite, though Cory is fine too. Rusty and the muscle-y guy don't do much for me, nor does Amy. Matthew isn't as bad as he used to be, but he's still smug and annoying.
Jason is my favorite too.
Old 07-14-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Jason is my favorite too.
  • Can actually cook
  • Is not a disaster on camera
  • Is not annoying as fuck
Old 07-14-17, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The most recent episode, -"The Mid-Term" - was interesting. It ended with the elimination I was expecting, but it also seemed designed to point out everyone's flaws, mostly through sniping from the other contestants.
Old 07-18-17, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And the little shit survives another week. He is talented and could be a decent host if he wasn't such a douche all the time. I guess I just work with too many people like him.

Not sure they "saved" the right group in the first place. I was shocked only one beat Bobby Flay.
Old 07-25-17, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cory is out. Good cook but never seemed comfortable in front of the camera. Still rooting for Jason.
Old 07-25-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

I think this is going down to Amy and Jason, and I think you are right, Jason will win. He's entertaining and would be a good judge on many of these shows.
Old 07-25-17, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It kinda sucked that the ginormous challenge came down to who got the meatballs, but that's Cory's fault for picking them. Plus his presentations have really gone downhill lately.

Rusty has no chance to win and seems to be hanging around because there's always someone worse that week.
Old 07-25-17, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was surprised to see Cory go, but he has been going downhill the last few episodes. I think it's pretty much Jason's to lose at this point. We still have to see who'll be the mystery player who wins "Salvation".
Old 07-25-17, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All in all, this has been the weakest group as a whole (compared to past seasons). I'm wondering if they stacked the deck.

Seems like Rusty and Cory hung around based on their cooking (as have past contestants), but my issue is they aren't looking for a chef -- they are looking for a host. I don't care how good of a cook the person is; if he/she can't speak, can't hit marks, and can't fill time ... BYE BYE!
Old 08-01-17, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, Amy got the boot. I would watch Jason and Rusty but Matthew is too cocky in my opinion. I would not watch him.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.