Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

War for the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: War for the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
9.68%
32.26%
38.71%
9.68%
9.68%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

War for the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 07-09-17, 10:56 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"War for the Planet of the Apes" (Starring: Andy Serkis, Woody Harrelson, Steve Zahn, Karin Konoval, Amiah Miller, Terry Notary, Judy Greer)

Release Date:
7/14/17

Rating:
PG-13 (for sci-fi action violence, some language and brief suggestive comments.)

Running Time:
140m. (2h. 20m.)

Budget:
$125 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Caesar and his apes are forced into a deadly conflict with an army of humans led by a ruthless Colonel. After the apes suffer unimaginable losses, Caesar wrestles with his darker instincts and begins his own mythic quest to avenge his kind. As the journey finally brings them face to face, Caesar and the Colonel are pitted against each other in an epic battle that will determine the fate of both their species and the future of the planet. Written by Twentieth Century Fox

IMDb Info and Rating:
0.0 (0 votes as of 7/09/17)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:61 Rotten:05 (92% as of 7/09/17)

Metacritic:
78 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 7/09/17)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
Old 07-13-17, 11:07 AM

Re: War for the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

bump for tonight's release...
Old 07-13-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: War for the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I saw it last night in the Ape triple feature. It is a good film, but not the outstanding film the hype would lead you to believe. I do appreciate that the series hasn't been dumbed-down for the masses like almost all other franchises by other studios.(although they got close with fecal throwing) I liked the nods to the Goldsmith score, and the other films (save chevy nova) but it definitely isn't the "feel good movie of the summer."

One other tiny nitpick, a couple of the soldiers look a lot like Woody Harrelson, and at one point I was puzzling if the person the apes were talking to was him... You'll know the scene when you see it.

Last edited by hasslein; 07-13-17 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw it last night, part of the PotA triple feature. My opinion may be marred by logistical problems at the theatre (biggest of which was an unannounced 75 minute break between Dawn and War, fully planned by the theatre but unannounced to those in attendance until we started asking questions while waiting for War to start), but I found it to be largely underwhelming. It does a fairly decent job wrapping up Caesar's story arc, so if you're fine with this being so Caesar-centric, you'll probably enjoy it more than I did. I was expecting more scale, and more global (or at least regional) implications.
Old 07-13-17, 09:28 PM

I can't wait. Seeing Tuesday. Watching first 2 to prep...
Old 07-13-17, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Really enjoyed this one, maybe the best of the 3 IMO. I liked that it was a smaller story and how it sets the roadmap to the originals. It's hard to believe how far technology has come with motion capture performances and how realistic animal renderings can be (Jungle Book was fantastic in this respect and I think this surpasses it). I was expecting a different resolution for the Colonel, but it certainly seemed a fitting end for him. Bad Ape was fantastic and his character brought just the right amount of levity to what is a fairly dark affair.
Old 07-14-17, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Saw this last night. Pretty large crowd at my local theater for a 7pm showing.

I enjoyed it. The tone was surprising (and refreshing) as Reeves could have done another Apes film with a ton of Action Scenes but showed a lot of restraint here, which I believe the film is much stronger for. My favorite part of the film hands-down have to be Caesar and his cohort (Rocket, Luca, Maurice), as well as their new addition Bad Ape, who I believe added just the right amount of film in a bleak film. I literally could watch this group travel, interact/communicate and sneak around forever.

The things that kept me from loving this film were (some of) the parts of the script that involved The Colonel. While the idea of the Simian Virus mutating is interesting, it never really has a large impact in this film. Also The Colonel's human opposition just is, no real explanation and while they provide a few large Action Sequences at the end of the film, I wasn't convinced to care.
Old 07-15-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Caught this yesterday. Really liked it . It takes a lot of determination to make an FX heavy studio sci-fi film of this scale that is so anti-blockbuster in feel. I would actually liken this movie to old school David Lean epics. They had great visuals and set pieces, but they were there to supplement the story and characters, not substitute for a lack of both.
I am kind of curious of Reeves will make an updated take on the original POTA with modern FX. If this happens, I want it to be a take done in the style of these movies almost entirely from the apes POV. I think that would be something worthwhile. I do see how the ending sets up the original, but have always figured from the get go that this was meant as a reimagining of the entire saga except with an earlier starting point.
Old 07-16-17, 12:36 AM

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Somehow I missed the second film so I'll need to find a cheap way to see it first. Won't have time to see the new one for a few weeks, though, so no rush. Our local paper gave it a very glowing 4-star review, complete with big front page story in the Variety section.
Old 07-16-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Somehow I missed the second film so I'll need to find a cheap way to see it first. Won't have time to see the new one for a few weeks, though, so no rush. Our local paper gave it a very glowing 4-star review, complete with big front page story in the Variety section.
The Blu is 7.88 at Amazon and the digital was 4.99 a few days ago.
Old 07-16-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Comcast has it as a free on demand item now (from FX), other providers might as well.
Old 07-16-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Check with your local library. Out here we have two major library systems that offer free movie rentals.
Old 07-16-17, 02:51 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

War for the Planet of the Apes (PG-13) - A fitting conclusion to Caesar’s story arc, but look elsewhere for a “happy” ending.

In “Rise of the Planet of the Apes”, we met Caesar (Andy Serkis), a young chimpanzee who gains expanded intelligence and the ability to speak as a result of an experimental Alzheimer's treatment. Unfortunately, the human aspect of the drug trial goes wrong, and most of humanity is wiped out as a result of the “Simian Flu”, a devastating side effect of the Alzheimer's drug. Caesar and other apes exposed to the drug escape into the forests of Northern California, and as “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” began, the apes were in the early stages of building their own society. Caesar, their de facto leader, just wants the simians and humans to live in peace, but factions within his own inner circle, lead by Koba (Toby Kebbell), want to take action against the very humans Caesar is attempting to make peace with. Koba’s actions result in a war with the humans.

“War” picks up two years later, with the apes doing their best to defend themselves from constant human attacks, with diminishing success. Rocket (Terry Notary), one of Caesar’s trusted lieutenants, and Caesar’s eldest son, return from an expedition to report they have found a new location to relocate their fledgling society - if they can evade an army of humans, led by The Colonel (Woody Harrelson). The Colonel, we learn as the story progresses, has an agenda beyond the eradication of the apes, but makes the battle personal after an attack on the apes results in the deaths of Caesar’s wife and eldest son.

Their hidden forest sanctuary now compromised, the mass of apes proceed to escape to their new location, while Caesar, Rocket, Maurice (Karin Konoval), and Luca (Michael Adamthwaite) attempt to take the fight to The Colonel, and give Caesar a chance to avenge his family. Along the way, they meet and take in a mute girl (Amiah Miller), and a skittish chimp called Bad Ape (Steve Zahn) who provides the location of the Colonel’s army. When they eventually arrive at the Colonel’s base, the small band discover a horrific and mystifying secret, and Caesar knows he must do everything he can to stop the insane human.

War for the Planet of the Apes is intelligently written, expertly produced, and ultimately emotionally draining chapter in the latest incarnation of this saga. Director Matt Reeves has expanded on a world that not only honors the original series, but builds layers and makes the story his own. There are more than a few biblical allusions in this story, as well. And again, Andy Serkis is so commanding as Caesar, the ape leader who wants to protect his people, and has a greater capacity for compassion than many of those around him (with the exception of the wonderful Maurice). Just give Serkis an Oscar for his work, already!

War is not a happy film (although there are some humorous moments provided by Bad Ape), but it is an excellent one. There is no “perfect” resolution for either apes nor humans, but life doesn’t always turn out that way, does it… I think this is best of the three most recent Planet of the Apes movies, and give it a solid 4 out of 5 lightsabers.

NOTES FOR PARENTS: War for the Planet of the Apes is rated PG-13 for war-related violence and some dark themes. Both Apes and humans are shot with bullets and arrows during various battles and confrontations. The Colonel is a rather militaristic extremist whose full agenda endangers his own troops. Apes are captured and put in work camps. A couple of apes are beat with whips, other are crucified with timber and ropes. Major characters sacrifice themselves to save others. The theme of loss of family and the need for vengeance permeates the storyline.

SHARE this review with friends and family, and LIKE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies!

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.
Old 07-16-17, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Nice review that sums it up well. When you think about it, this movie does a good job of honoring the original in tone. That one had some good make-up work and was considered a blockbuster at the time, but it was never what one would dub an upbeat movie. Hell, none of the originals were when you think about it aside from a brief few minutes in Escape. Times have changed and somber sci-fi movies that double as blockbusters don't seem to exist anymore. Guess it's a change in audience attitude.
Old 07-16-17, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

This movie is heavy. A lot of the plotting is unpredictable. I love that they were able to make it what it is, and the studio allowed it. That goes for all three movies.

Watching so many movies, I'm always looking for something unique that separates itself from the rest. This is that kind of movie.
Old 07-16-17, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Saw it and loved it. One small thing that I didn't think was explained was one scene the humans were heading to the border and the majority of the apes were heading the other way to the desert. Then bam they've all been captured...???
Old 07-17-17, 08:27 AM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Saw it and loved it. One small thing that I didn't think was explained was one scene the humans were heading to the border and the majority of the apes were heading the other way to the desert. Then bam they've all been captured...???
There was a bit of exposition on that once Ceaser was thrown into the compound, about how they were ambushed. Remember, it was Winter that provided the Colonel with their movement information.
Old 07-17-17, 09:12 PM

Wow, such little talk. No wonder it only made $57 mil. Seeing this tomorrow, most likely...
Old 07-18-17, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I saw it today. I used the $7 from T-Mobile Tuesday last week to get a discounted ticket.

Anyways, I really enjoyed it. A really good wrap up to the series. I enjoyed that probably 80% of this movie was from the ape perspective. Andy Serkis as usual was amazing. He carried the movie as Caesar once again. Just amazing how most of the cast is actually CGI actors. They really did a great job creating the relationships with the apes. There was some good occasional humor too.

Harrelson was quite good as the "villain" I found him quite intimidating as the Colonel.

One of the things I liked about this series was that they kept Caesar as the voice of reason for the apes. He never wanted to result to violence, unless he was provoked....especially with the murder of his wife and son by the Colonel. Sad, yet sort of poetic ending with Caesar dying as the end.

One thing I was a little disappointed about was that they never really gave full closure on what happened to Will and Caroline from the 1st movie. I guess we're supposed to assume that they both died from the Simian flu. We saw a brief glimpse of Will from a video in the 2nd movie. But, considering both of them raised Caesar from birth, I wish they would have reflected a little more on that relationship with Caesar. He seemed to have forgotten about them and moved on.
Old 07-18-17, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. I was expecting a bigger world wide scale, but the smaller scale was gine as well.

So is there any word going forward? Is this it, or does Fox have any plans for more?
Old 07-18-17, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Saw it last night and enjoyed it. I was expecting a bigger world wide scale, but the smaller scale was gine as well.

So is there any word going forward? Is this it, or does Fox have any plans for more?
I haven't seen any talk about another sequel. Most of the stuff written says "if" it continues.

But with Caesar dead, this was for all intents and purposes the end of this trilogy. I'm fine with the series ending here if it doesn't get another sequel. Caesar's arc ended with closure. The apes got a new home.
Old 07-18-17, 02:39 PM

War for the Planet of the Apes...wow. what an emotionally resonant movie. a fitting way to end an excellent trilogy. Dawn is still my favorite, but this was so far the best movie I've seen all summer. To care about CGI animals in such a way is movie magic imo. Caesar's quest and journey through it all was magnificent and Andy Serkis deserves all the credit. Did he voice him too?

Either way, this movie was just an emotional wallop and i love the way it ended and tied it all up, saddened too, of course.

Don't see where the franchise can go from here, if at all, but what an incredible way to go out. So well done.

Old 07-18-17, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah, Serkis did the voice. It was blended with some other sounds in Rise, but I think it's been all him since then.
Old 07-18-17, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Wow, such little talk. No wonder it only made $57 mil. Seeing this tomorrow, most likely...
I thought that as well. I was initially thinking that the low attendance at movies this summer was due to the fact that most of them weren't that great. But this has a 94% RT score and most audience members are giving it a good rating as well. I knew there was something up when a movie like this that typically gets a lot of buzz in these parts only had seven posts halfway through Saturday. Guess people only want comic book escapism. Hope Dunkirk proves me wrong.
Old 07-18-17, 08:07 PM

Even though Harrelson was good, he did play a rather cliched villain. I did like his ending...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.