Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Mary and The Witch's Flower

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 06-09-17, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The film tells a story of a young girl named Mary who discovers that she has a mysterious power to become a witch.

This is the first animated feature from Studio Ponoc. Studio Ponoc was founded on April 15, 2015 with several animators formerly with Studio Ghibli.
Screenplay by Riko Sakaguchi and Hiromasa Yonebayashi
Based on "The Little Broomstick" by Mary Stewart"

This looks pretty good.
Old 06-10-17, 01:55 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 521 Likes on 458 Posts
Re: Mary and The Witch's Flower

North American distributor is TBA, but Altitude Film has worldwide rights.

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/b...wer-1201975992
http://www.twitter.com/AltitudeSales...02673061212160
http://4NN.cx/.111766
Altitude Film Sales Acquires Worldwide Rights to Mary and the Witch's Flower Anime Film
posted on 2017-02-02 05:46 EST

Altitude Film Ent. to release film in U.K., Madman Ent. to release film in Australia, New Zealand

U.K.-based company Altitude Film Sales announced on Thursday that it has acquired the worldwide rights to Studio Ponoc and Hiromasa Yonebayashi's Mary and the Witch's Flower (Mary to Majo no Hana) anime film. Altitude Film Sales announced the license at the Berlin International Film Festival (Berlinale) event in Germany.

Altitude Film Entertainment will release the film in the U.K., and Madman Entertainment will release the film in Australia and New Zealand. Altitude Film Sales is shopping the film to other distributors at the film festival's European Film Market.
Old 06-25-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 658 Posts

It looks like Studio Ghibli has been watching Trigger's Little Witch Academia. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Old 07-13-17, 06:05 AM
WTK

http://4NN.cx/.118751
Mary and the Witch's Flower Film to Open in 155 Countries, Territories
posted on 2017-07-13 06:33 EDT

Oricon: English dub to include "big-name actors"

The staff of Studio Ponoc and Hiromasa Yonebayashi's Mary and The Witch's Flower (Mary to Majo no Hana) anime film revealed on Thursday that the film will open in 155 countries and territories worldwide. The news website Oricon noted that Studio Ponoc has received offers from distribution companies and agents from the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Australia, China, South Korea, South America, the Middle East, and Africa.

Oricon stated that an English-dubbed version of the film is already planned, and will feature "big-name actors."
Old 08-01-17, 08:09 PM
WTK

http://deadline.com/2017/08/gkids-ma...shi-1202139836
GKIDS Acquires Rights To ‘Mary And The Witch’s Flower’, First Feature From Studio Ponoc

Acclaimed animation producer and distributor GKIDS has acquired the North American distribution rights to Mary And The Witch’s Flower. The film is the first feature from the Japan-based Studio Ponoc.

Academy Award-nominated director Hiromasa Yonebayashi (The Secret World of Arrietty, When Marnie Was There) helms the film based on Mary Stewart’s 1971 children’s book The Little Broomstick. It was adapted for the big screen by Yonebayashi and Riko Sakaguchi. The story centers on an ordinary young girl named Mary, who discovers a flower that grants magical powers, but only for one night. As she is whisked into an exciting new world beyond belief, she must learn to stay true to herself. Studio Ponoc founder and two-time Academy Award-nominated Yoshiaki Nishimura (The Tale of The Princess Kaguya, When Marnie Was There) produces the film.

GKIDS also distributed The Tale of The Princess Kaguya and When Marnie Was There, and both received Oscar nods for Best Animated Feature. Yonebayashi’s The Secret World of Arrietty remains the highest-grossing Studio Ghibli title in the United States to date.

Mary And The Witch’s Flower is slated to open in theaters this winter. The deal was negotiated by Mike Runagall for Altitude Film Sales, and Eric Beckman for GKIDS.
Old 10-18-17, 08:40 PM
WTK

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/...-witchs-flower

IN THEATERS JAN 18

Premiere Event

Fathom Events and GKIDS are proud to present this special one-night premiere event in select movie theaters nationwide, English-dubbed at 7:00 PM local time and subtitled at 8:00 PM local time. Studio Ponoc's debut film is by Academy AwardŽ-nominated director Hiromasa Yonebayashi, who directed Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There and The Secret World of Arrietty, and was an animator on the classic masterpieces Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Ponyo and others. Based on the 1971 young adult novel The Little Broomstick, which was an inspiration for the Harry Potter stories, Mary and The Witch’s Flower is an all-ages action fantasy adventure that hearkens back to some of the most beloved animated films of all time, full of ingenious characters, jaw-dropping imaginative worlds, and the simple, heartfelt story of a young girl trying to figure her place in the world.

The English language version features the voice talents of Ruby Barnhill, Kate Winslet, and Jim Broadbent.

General Public Ticket On Sale Date: October 20, 2017
Old 01-14-18, 10:33 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Bump for the premiere this week.

http://app.powster.com/gkidsfilms/ma...chs-flower/us/

I was thinking about taking my niece and her friend to the dubbed showing. But my local theater is charging $16/ticket. I'm not going to spend $50 on tickets. And probably another $25 for popcorn & sodas. Forget it.
Old 01-18-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

My local theater is showing the Fathom Event premiere tonight for $15 per ticket, but then starting tomorrow they are running it regularly at normal prices. I might take my kids to a morning matinee this weekend for 4.59 per ticket.

I don't know why anyone would attend the premiere with that drastic of a difference in prices
Old 01-26-18, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this today and really liked it. Definitely has the feel of a Studio Ghibli film. Liked the soundtrack, too. I'm up for any future films from them.
Old 02-03-18, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 658 Posts

The pre-order is already up on Amazon.