Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's The Dark Tower - (2017, D: Arcel) S: Elba, McConaughey

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-14-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Dark Horizons:

Stephen King and J.J. Abrams are in talks to bring King's "Dark Tower" book series to either film or television.

Abrams' Bad Robot shingle has a first-look deal at Paramount for film projects and a deal with Warner Bros. Television for TV projects.

Determining which format is tricky. King's seven-book series - which blends fantasy, sci-fi, horror and Western genres - seems tailor made for multi-episodic television.

Yet the cost of the ambitious undertaking may relegate it to more cinematic means. It is unclear whether Abrams would solely produce or potentially direct.

This would be awesome. The Dark Tower series are my all time favorite books. I'm not sure which way I would prefer it; movies or television series.

If they made them movies, they could combine the Gunslinger and the Drawing of the Three, The Waste Lands could stand alone, The Wizard and the Glass could be done last as a prequel since it takes place in the distant past, Combine Wolves of Calla and Song of Sussanah, and let the Dark Tower stand alone. That would be four movies, not counting Glass. I really don't see anyway they could do all seven as separate movies. I would be to afraid of them not finishing them up. There are not too many franchises that have had seven installments.

A television series might not be a bad idea either. Make it an FX or HBO series and do thirteen episodes a year. We would get a much more full adaption that way.

I just hope it does not get screwed up...
Old 02-14-07, 07:45 PM

Whoever finances this better have deep pockets.
Old 02-15-07, 01:13 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Regardless of what they choose, would be great to see this. The books were great, but I don't think any movie or TV show would ever do them justice.
Old 02-15-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
As a huge DT and King fan I'd love to see it, but my practical side says it will never happen. There is a kid that doesn't really age throughout the seven novels. It would be impossible to achieve that. They couldn't even avoid it on Lost and that was only a year and a half of seeing Walt. Seven years, even more with production, is astronomical.

How will they show the "wolves of the calla?" They don't own the rights to that "character."

I still say the best route is all CG in the vein of Final Fantasy. Either film, or Mature rated CG show on HBO.

It would be kinda cool seeing:
Spoiler:
Roland meet King. That is an easy in for King since he cameos in most of his movies

In the end, it gets the fans excited, but I don't see it happening.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 02-15-07 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-15-07, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

How will they show the "wolves of the calla?" They don't own the rights to that "character."
Which character?
Old 02-15-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
No movie company owns the rights to that character. Stephen King owns the rights to his characters, and he decided to use that character in that story. So if someone buys the movie/TV rights to Wolves of the Calla and subsequent Dark Tower books, they own the rights to use that character in those stories.

It's like how those two non-EON James Bond films were able to be made because they were based on stories EON didn't have the rights to, even though EON owned the rights to the character.
Old 02-15-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bcolon
Which character?
Spoiler:
Father Callahan, who originally appeared in Salem's Lot
Old 02-15-07, 08:42 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
There was a blurb in a recent issue of EW about this and after reading it...I wasn't very optimistic it would ever happen. Glad to see J.J. mentioned, but I'm still not optimistic.
Old 02-15-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geofferson
There was a blurb in a recent issue of EW about this and after reading it...I wasn't very optimistic it would ever happen. Glad to see J.J. mentioned, but I'm still not optimistic.
While it would be amazing to see, I'm not very optimistic either. As was pointed out, the budget would have to be tremendous, to do it justice imo. It would be nearly impossible to fit all of the books in without doing 3 or 4 long movies or a 13 or 14 episode mini series. And even then they probably wouldn't get all of the material in. I think it's one of those things that should just stay in book form.
Old 02-15-07, 09:52 PM

Another con is that with books that are made into films they do a lot of cutting and changing. Doing those things to the Dark Tower is just unacceptable. You change one thing it will ruin it all. If they can't do everything by the book (pun intended) then they shouldn't do it at all, though there is nothing more I want to see than a Dark Tower film/series.
Old 02-16-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Spoiler:
Father Callahan, who originally appeared in Salem's Lot
I don't think this who he was refering to. The wolves themselves resemble a comic book character, just as many of their devices are drawn from other works of fiction.

As a fan, I'd love to see the series. I'd prefer an animated version though, as I do not think the right actors/sets/etc. could ever be chosen for me. As someone suggested, I do not think books like Wizard and Glass could be done last. Roland's history is too important to the character and needs to be told within the context of the rest of the story. This would make this a long series (TV or movie) which means I doubt it will get made unless King works on a reinvented version of the story just for the film/TV.
Old 02-16-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by outer-edge
I don't think this who he was refering to. The wolves themselves resemble a comic book character, just as many of their devices are drawn from other works of fiction.
You mean...
Spoiler:
Dr. Doom, lightsabers, and the sneetches?

Stephen King didn't have the rights to any of those when he wrote the novel either, yet he hasn't been sued by the respective parties yet. I think they understood those were homages and not outright theft. Anyway, if any of those parties have a problem with those things being in the movie/TV version, then they could be altered slightly in appearance and/or function to remove the obvious similiarities. It's not like any of those are critical plot points.

As a fan, I'd love to see the series. I'd prefer an animated version though, as I do not think the right actors/sets/etc. could ever be chosen for me.
But yet you think the right character design, backgrounds, and voice acting can be chosen for you?

As someone suggested, I do not think books like Wizard and Glass could be done last. Roland's history is too important to the character and needs to be told within the context of the rest of the story.
His backstory is actually being told last; King is producing a comic book series that will delve into backstory for the Gunslinger that we haven't seen yet.

Be that as it may, one solution would be to only film Wizard and Glass last, or perhaps even concurrently with one of the other films or seasons, since the majority of Wizard and Glass would utilize completely different actors and sets, etc. Then it could be shown in the proper story order without pausing the filming of the regular characters for a long stretch.
Old 02-17-07, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was just watching the recent remake of The Count of Monte Cristo, and I think Jim Caviezel would be an awesome choice as Roland. He's got that dark side as well as a quieter side that would fit very well with the character as King wrote it.
Old 02-17-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jay G.
You mean...
Spoiler:
Dr. Doom, lightsabers, and the sneetches?

Stephen King didn't have the rights to any of those when he wrote the novel either, yet he hasn't been sued by the respective parties yet. I think they understood those were homages and not outright theft.
Yes that was whom I was referring. The second two can easily be seen as homages, but the first played a pretty major role. With all the comic book movies being greenlit and currently in production(especially two existing franchises he could appear) I doubt Marvel would let that one slide by.
Old 02-17-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes that was whom I was referring. The second two can easily be seen as homages, but the first played a pretty major role.
Spoiler:
It wasn't Dr. Doom though, they were robots that resembled Dr. Doom. If Marvel seriously has a beef with it, their appearance can be changed without affecting the plot at all.
Old 02-17-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Marvel is already in bed with the DT series with the graphic novels, though. I don't see them pitching a hissy fit if the producers of the movie/series wanted to be faithful to King's original version.
Old 02-17-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man...I am beyond excited about the possibility of this. This is my Lord of the Rings.
Old 02-17-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pinata242
Marvel is already in bed with the DT series with the graphic novels, though. I don't see them pitching a hissy fit if the producers of the movie/series wanted to be faithful to King's original version.
Good point. I still don't see this project going anywhere though. It is just too big of a logistical nightmare.
Old 02-17-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Actually, it can be sort of tricky to use characters that span multiple books, like
Spoiler:
Father Callahan.

You will recall that Johnny Mnemonic had the female lead from the story (Molly) replaced with another character because the character of Molly was tied up with whoever had the film rights to Neuromancer.

And "Silence of the Lambs" almost had to rename the characters who appeared in Manhunter (Hannibal Lecter was renamed Gideon Quinn in an early script).
Old 02-17-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
The only thing I hope, no matter how this comes to fruition, is to have the acting be good. So many of King's adaptations have great actors, but terrible acting.

I would think a two year series on an HBO-ish channel would be the way to go. Having the kid grow up would cause a small problem, but I'm sure it could be worked around. I don't have cable, but would definitely pick this up on dvd.
Old 05-03-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Dark Tower... A Ron Howard Film

'Dark Tower' by Ron Howard, Brian Grazer and Akiva Goldsman (exclusive)

By Borys Kit and Ace Fernandez

J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot shingle, which has long sought to crack Stephen King’s “The Dark Tower” book series as a television series, no longer has the rights to one of the author’s biggest properties.

Bad Robot has returned the rights back to the best-selling author. Now Ron Howard, Brian Grazer and Akiva Goldsman are teaming up to tackle the fantasy Western.

The three are in discussions on a scenario that would see an adaptation begin as a movie, to be written by Goldsman and directed by Howard, that would lead to a TV series produced by Imagine’s small-screen division.

“Tower” is not set up, nor has any option deal been made, but insiders say Universal, home to Imagine, would be the studio that will release the movie.

That would be a contrast to the vision drawn up by Bad Robot, which had been eyeing their potential series as a reunion with “Lost” exec producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. Because of the comprehensive nature of the project, the creators wanted to wait until “Lost” was over to give it their attention. When they realized they wouldn't be able to do an adaptation justice, they gave the rights back to King.

King’s magnum opus, “Tower” encompasses not just a narrative about the Man in Black and Roland, the Gunslinger, that spans seven lengthy books (and one short story), but also the entire universe of King’s fiction. Characters from his other novels flit in and out of “Tower” in minor and major ways.

Envisioned when King was still in his teens as his own take on spaghetti Westerns and the world of Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings,” “Tower” has also spawned a series of graphic novels from Marvel Comics, with the latest issue hitting shelves May 19. The property’s expansive nature and direct connection to King’s other works make it one of the biggest, ripest franchise possibilities in entertainment.
http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/0...goldsman-.html
Old 05-03-10, 11:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Dark Tower... a Ron Howard film (dear god, no)

Keep those hacks the FUCK AWAY from The Dark Tower!
Old 05-03-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish this would just go away for another 10 years to give Hollywood a chance to adult up a little. Right now, a big-budget multi-picture story like this will have no chance as the scary, sex and blood filled epic the books are and can only be done as a Harry Potter-esque PG-13 family-friendly franchise in 3333333DDDDDDD

Dionysus weeps.

Last edited by lamphorn; 05-03-10 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-03-10, 11:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Akiva Goldsman has done some good stuff recently with Fringe, but I don't have a lot of confidence in this project (which should be a series, not a film).
Old 05-03-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron Howard. Sorry to pile on, but this guy is the hackiest of hacks ever to hack in hollywood.

His films are heavy handed, maudlin and bland. Granted he makes a lot of money for the studios, but his body of work, so lacking in style, is just generic and pedestrian.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.