The Gong Show is coming back on ABC

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-03-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

http://deadline.com/2016/10/the-gong...tt-1201829517/

After successfully rebooting several retro game shows, ABC is bringing back another classic shiny-floor competition series. The network has given a 10-episode order to The Gong Show, a new version of the irreverent talent show competition, which is being executive produced by Will Arnett.

Every episode will feature non-traditionally talented performers plucked from the internet and put in front of a revolving panel of Hollywood judges. Sony Pictures TV, which owns the rights to the original series, is the studio.

“ABC has tapped into the nostalgia and excitement of primetime game shows,” said Rob Mills, SVP, Alternative Series, Specials & Late-Night Programming. “We are thrilled to add The Gong Show to ABC’s schedule spearheaded by the incomparable Will Arnett.”
Old 10-03-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
re: The Gong Show is coming back on ABC

Ugh
Old 10-03-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

I vaguely remember seeing The Gong Show in repeats and it was awful back then.

Best place to put this....summer. Don't waste Fall and Spring on an update for a shit talent show.
Old 10-03-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Thought the Pyramid and Match Game updates were terrific so I say bring it on.
Old 10-03-16, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

We'll need a new "Gene Gene the Dancing Machine"
Old 10-03-16, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I vaguely remember seeing The Gong Show in repeats and it was awful back then.

Best place to put this....summer. Don't waste Fall and Spring on an update for a shit talent show.
You were probably too young to appreciate it. The Gong Show was no game show, or like any other kind of show that came before it. It was a true anti-show. It was the original trolling the network and audience show. And any show featuring an act called "The Popsicle Twins" in an afternoon time slot deserves our respect.

That said, the remake probably will be terrible so I agree with your second statement. I doubt a network would have the balls to air anything remotely like the original today, especially give the immense power wielded by the grievance industrial complex of today.
Old 10-03-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

As long as the host is a secret agent I'm in.
Old 10-03-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

it's never going to work, especially if they're mining the well picked over viral wannabes online. It'll never measure up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EkcieWccaAA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-03-16, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Too bad they didn't use just one popsicle.
Old 10-03-16, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
it's never going to work, especially if they're mining the well picked over viral wannabes online. It'll never measure up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EkcieWccaAA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I would have given them a 69.

And Klinger's a ***.
Old 10-04-16, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

How is this any different than those stupid singing game shows that have judges, like The Voice, American Idol, America's Got Talent, etc? Just more dumb shit. Still, they better bring back the Unknown Comic!
Old 10-04-16, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
How is this any different than those stupid singing game shows that have judges, like The Voice, American Idol, America's Got Talent, etc? Just more dumb shit. Still, they better bring back the Unknown Comic!
It's not different. In fact, we have Chuck Barris to thank for all of these shows.
Old 10-04-16, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I was too young to watch the Gong Show in the late 70's, but I remember hearing about it like it was the greatest show in the world. USA Network showed reruns of it in the mid 80's, and I was amazed at how bad it was. Maybe that was the point of the show during that era as it was so bad, it was entertaining.
Old 10-04-16, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason

Girl on the left, cuter. Girl on the right, talented.
Old 10-04-16, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I was too young to watch the Gong Show in the late 70's, but I remember hearing about it like it was the greatest show in the world. USA Network showed reruns of it in the mid 80's, and I was amazed at how bad it was. Maybe that was the point of the show during that era as it was so bad, it was entertaining.
Yes, that was the point. Most of the acts were novelty with a few serious acts thrown in.

The types of acts that were perfect for The Gong Show showed up during the initial elimination rounds of American Idol. I remember in those discussion threads in TV Talk, people would tune in just to see those horrible acts.

Hmmmm, maybe this show MIGHT be able to make a comeback
Old 10-04-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Girl on the left, cuter. Girl on the right, talented.
Yep. You're assessment is quite accurate.
Old 04-28-17, 12:42 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

The Gong Show has found its host.

Sony's reboot, which is being produced for ABC by Will Arnett’s Electric Avenue, has tapped an unconventional emcee befitting the nostalgic talent show. And while no party involved will confirm it, that host is believed to be Mike Myers. In a twist without much precedent, the comedian behind Wayne's World and Austin Powers seems to be going full method for the gig. His name is unlikely to be found on any literature, promotions or even credits tied to The Gong Show. No, the host is technically "Tommy Maitland," an elaborate character created for the sole purpose of stepping into the Gong Show role once famously filled by the late Chuck Barris.

The variety show, which will premiere with much fanfare June 22, is being filled out by an impressive rotation of celebrity guest judges, who will appear as themselves. In addition to Arnett, who will turn up in multiple episodes, Zach Galifianakis, Alison Brie, Andy Samberg, Elizabeth Banks, Joel McHale, Dana Carvey, Will Forte, Jack Black and Anthony Anderson are among the others. Each is expected to praise, critique and “gong” the contestants, as those on the original did some four decades earlier. The series, which also counts Den of Thieves and Principato Young's Peter Principato as producers, is the latest retro game show reboot for ABC. Of late, the network has found success with Celebrity Family Feud, Match Game and $100,000 Pyramid.

“I’ve been a huge fan of Tommy since I first saw his stand-up in the U.K. while traveling as a teenager. He was so funny and original. I had the good fortune to cross paths with Tommy a few years ago and ever since we've talked about working together,” said Arnett, playing into the gag. “I tried for years to come up with a vehicle that was suitable to expose his immense talent on a bigger stage, and The Gong Show is the perfect fit.”

Maitland not only has an extensive backstory but also a wide-ranging social media footprint via @MrTommyMaitland. Highlights of his biography include a teenage stint in the British Army, a cult following in Italy thanks to a collection of spaghetti westerns and a few James Bond knock-offs and numerous past credits hosting other game shows — including the unfortunately-titled Australian project Dingos Got the Baby.

The Gong Show seems to be a return from retirement for the 72-year-old U.K. native, who is the first to admit he's doing the variety show for the money. With a sing-song British accent, "Maitland" spoke by phone about his aspirations, his catch phrases and what he can’t wait to do here in Los Angeles.

U.S. audiences aren’t familiar with you yet. What should they know?

Well, I love to entertain, but I can be a bit of a cheeky monkey. Nothing terribly dirty, just a little naughty at times. And I really enjoy America — they’re very good, Americans, for the most part. I’m excited to see the underbelly of American talent, and what you have to offer here. Of course, I’ve been to America before. Been to Philly, Frisco, Bean Town, the Big Apple….

Why is this, The Gong Show, your first U.S. foray? What was the appeal?

Well, I did have some money problems back in England. Some terrible investments, I overspent and taxation during the '70s was a killer. And they waved a tremendous amount of cash under my nose, which for me, at this time in my life, is welcome indeed. I will retire to Malta. Do you know how to make a Maltese cross?

I do not.

Punch him in the face. Punch a person from Malta in the face. I’m happy to explain all of my jokes.

What else would you like to do while you’re here in Los Angeles?

I’d love to have a fish taco, I think. That would be nice. There’s a place called The Pink Taco, which if Freud was alive today would make him sweat profusely.

With The Gong Show, you’ll be filling some big shoes. In what ways will you model yourself after Chuck Barris?

Well, first, I’d like for the acts to speak for themselves. While it’s true many of them have willingly crossed the line of dignity to come onto the stage, you do have to salute their bravery. I’m hoping this will be a place for people who don’t normally have a venue to do things like play the bagpipes with their nose or do anything with a unicycle. But Mr. Barris’ are very big shoes indeed. We didn’t really get The Gong Show in England, but when I would come [to the U.S.] now and then on different tours I’d watch.

You can expect to see a lot of wacky talent come through. What would be the dream skill?

Well, there are standards and practices that intervene in terms of what I’d really like to see.

So, if there were no standards?

Ping pong balls being shot out of places that they shouldn’t. But there is a strident team of people who are there to make sure nothing gets shot out of anything or into something else and that’s as specific as I can get, contractually.

How about the format? Any tweaks you’re making to spotlight your talents?

The big thing I wanted to stress was that people are there by choice. If they should unfortunately get gong-ed, you know that they chose to be there. On the other hand, I do not want them to feel bad about what they do. Who, ultimately, are we to judge?

If you look around the landscape here, is there a host who inspires you? Perhaps even a role model as you approach this?

I like Jimmy Kimmel a great deal. He has old school sensibilities. Jimmy Fallon is a natural entertainer, and I love that about him. And Colbert is very smart. Scary smart. But my inspirations come from England: Bob Monkhouse, Terry Wogan... Bruce Forsyth is a huge, huge influence on me. A man who had both catchphrases and catch poses, which is a huge achievement in the hosting annals.

Have you given any thought to your Gong Show catchphrase?

Oh, I’ve had one for years, darling.

Apologies. What is it?

I say, “Who’s a cheeky monkey?” Then the audience goes, “You are.” And I go, “No, you’re a cheeky monkey, and that’s why I love you.” The other catchphrase of mine is, “You’ve got no proof.” So, when I say something slightly cheeky, I’ll say, “Well, you’ve got no proof.” My second memoir was titled, “You’ve Still Got No Proof.”

And your first?

“You’ve Got no Proof.” The third one is in the works, “Still No Proof.” The fourth one will be “You Might Have Proof But Not All of it’s Correct.”

Anything else I should be asking you?

I don’t think so. Personally, I’m spent.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ebook_20170428
Old 04-28-17, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2017/04/the-gong...st-1202079151/

How funny. Deadline seems to be taking the "host" announcement seriously. They list his "credits" and say that he and Arnett are friends etc.

Doesn't even assume that Mike Myers is playing a character.
Old 04-28-17, 01:04 PM

TVLine reported it too, but they said it was a joke. I think Deadline is just in on it.
Old 04-28-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dex14
TVLine reported it too, but they said it was a joke. I think Deadline is just in on it.
Deadline eventually revised how they wrote their article. Initially they wrote it like the host was a real person with real credits. Now they changed it with the Mike Myers reference.
Old 04-28-17, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I hope Tony Clifton makes an appearance.
Old 04-28-17, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

The article was better when they wrote it like he was a real person.

I really hope all the acts are bad here.
Old 04-29-17, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

This sounds too crazy to miss now. Bound to be memorable even if it's a cringe inducing train wreck.
Old 05-03-17, 12:02 PM

<iframe width="688" height="387" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e64HSt6HsJI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-03-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

^That's disturbing...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.