Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sega Genesis is getting a premium, feature-packed Flashback release this year.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Sega Genesis is getting a premium, feature-packed Flashback release this year.

Old 06-09-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

Spoiler:

A new, premium Sega Genesis Flashback console from AtGames will be released this September, and the feature list includes some serious improvements from past product lines.

The system comes with 85 games built in — including seven Sonic titles, Virtua Fighter 2 and Altered Beast — as well as a cartridge slot so you can play “most” of your Genesis and Mega Drive games. Two 2.4ghz wireless controllers, not infrared, are included in the box.

The Flashback also includes standard Genesis ports so you can use your existing wired controllers. The system’s case is designed to look like the classic console, instead of using a stylized shell that’s meant to evoke the Genesis without actually copying it.

“Other new features for the Sega Genesis Flashback include 720p HDMI output, scan line filtering, and a save/pause/rewind feature for every game,” the company states.

These are very welcome upgrades from past classic console releases, but the company isn’t releasing a price for the hardware yet, and the quality of the built-in emulation will also be unknown until we get our hands on the system itself.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/9/157...onsole-premium

Depending on the price, I might be interested in buying one.
Old 06-09-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The Sega Genesis is getting a premium, feature-packed Flashback release this year

I'm so in. I love this system.
Old 06-09-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts
Re: The Sega Genesis is getting a premium, feature-packed Flashback release this year

This is the same company that made the previous couple Genesis classic releases and everyone is supposed to be terrible so I wouldn't have high hopes that they would make a good one this time.

The last release said 80 games and half were Genesis and the other half phone games.
Old 06-09-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, it just says 85 built in games, not specifically Genesis games.
Old 06-09-17, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, obviously many improvements inspired by the mini NES, but I won't expect the quality to be there until several hands-on tests say otherwise.

At the same time, would be nice if the inspiration goes back the other way to Nintendo as they develop the new SNES. Wireless controllers in particular..
Old 06-09-17, 08:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

That's the way you build a retro console. Fuck the big N!
Old 06-10-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
This is the same company that made the previous couple Genesis classic releases and everyone is supposed to be terrible so I wouldn't have high hopes that they would make a good one this time.

The last release said 80 games and half were Genesis and the other half phone games.
Yeah this does not inspire me with confidence. They saw $$$ when the Nes classic was a hit, but I doubt they'll price this reasonably, and IIRC even their emulation was terrible.

What does it mean by most (not all) Genesis cartridges? Were there some special cartridges that didn't work on some systems.
Old 06-10-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah this does not inspire me with confidence. They saw $$$ when the Nes classic was a hit, but I doubt they'll price this reasonably, and IIRC even their emulation was terrible.

What does it mean by most (not all) Genesis cartridges? Were there some special cartridges that didn't work on some systems.
if I recall correctly, there were some Genesis cartridges that had a special chip in them, kind of like the Starfox chip, for some 3d things. I think they were racing games? I'm guessing stuff like that won't work
Old 06-10-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

It seems like it would have made sense to add some of the Sega CD games as well. Looks nice I got the PS3 genesis collection so I think I got my Sega fix.
Old 06-10-17, 04:10 PM
Banned

if I recall correctly, there were some Genesis cartridges that had a special chip in them, kind of like the Starfox chip, for some 3d things. I think they were racing games? I'm guessing stuff like that won't work
It also probably means their emulation engine will still be shit, so it will have problems with certain games.
Old 06-10-17, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:

Now Atari is getting in on the action. This was in the same article as the Sega one so I didn't start a new thread about it.

The Atari Flashback 8 Gold comes with a massive 120 built-in games, two wireless controllers inspired by the Artari 2600, and two ports for wired joysticks and paddles. It'll also support 720p HDMI output, scan line filtering, and rewind, fast-forward, and save functions for every game.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/se...ource=facebook
Old 06-10-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, 120 games is better than 85 games. So I guess Atari wins?
Old 06-10-17, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

That's the same company as the Genesis one.
Old 06-11-17, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

The "NEW HIT TITLES" is the problem for both.
Old 06-11-17, 07:05 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

How does a game like Kaboom work without the analog paddle controller? Did the original game support the joystick?
Old 06-11-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like the same company is doing portables of both the Genesis and Atari systems too, but with fewer games packed in (however, both contain SD slots...not sure if that's for game saves or roms).

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/233...source=twitter
Old 06-12-17, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
How does a game like Kaboom work without the analog paddle controller? Did the original game support the joystick?
Whatever 2600 emulator RetroPie uses automatically "converts" the paddle movements to the left and right arrows of a gamepad (and I can confirm it works fine with Kaboom! and Warlords), so I would assume this uses something similar.
Old 06-12-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

I love the idea of this... but Retropie is so simple and cheap. I'd probably pick this up though --- if only to play Tommy Lasorda Baseball or Lakers vs Celtics again.
Old 06-12-17, 03:22 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
Whatever 2600 emulator RetroPie uses automatically "converts" the paddle movements to the left and right arrows of a gamepad (and I can confirm it works fine with Kaboom! and Warlords), so I would assume this uses something similar.
Yeah, I guess that's how it would work, but a game like Kaboom (or Breakout or Pong) needs that precise analog movement that allows you to jump quickly to a specific location. I was looking to see if the paddle controllers will be sold separately, but I can find that information. It looks like an earliest bundle included them at one point.
Old 06-13-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
the SVP (Sega Virtua Processor). Only one game was actually released that used it, Virtua Racing, although a few others were in development.
http://www.sega-16.com/2006/03/segas...oad-not-taken/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_G...rtua_Processor
Old 07-28-17, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From Gamespot:

Do Not Buy AtGames' Sega Genesis Flashback Console.

https://www.gamespot.com/sega-genesi...GSS-05-10aaa0a

Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth.
Old 07-28-17, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Shocking...
Old 07-28-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

There are flawless genesis emus out there. I can't believe they couldn't get this right. Too bad. I'll just use a Pi for those games.
Old 07-28-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I'll stick with my copy of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on PS3.
Old 07-28-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Iterations of these have been around for a while and they've been known to not be very good. Not surprised to hear that this latest version has problems as well. Say what you will about Nintendo and the scarcity of the NES Classic but they made a quality product at least. Hopefully the SNES Classic is easier to find.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.