Reload this Page >

Queen of the South (USA) -- Series Thread -- premieres 6/23/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-23-16, 06:42 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH SERIES PREMIERE - 10/9c

On the series premiere of QUEEN OF THE SOUTH the Mexican drug cartel comes after Teresa Mendoza with a vengeance and she is forced to run and do whatever it takes to survive. Teresa's fate is sealed in the dangerous narco world forever and she has to prove her worth to Camila. Meanwhile, Epifanio gets closer in his hunt. Back in Mexico, Brenda desperately tries to find Teresa and hide from the cartel. Stars: Alice Braga, Veronica Falcon, Peter Gadiot, Justina Machado, Gerardo Taracena, Hemky Madera; Guest stars this month include: Joaquim de Almeida, Jon Ecker, James Martinez, Jean Paul San Pedro, Adolfo Alvarez, Miguel Perez, Caitlin Leahy, Mark Consuelos, and Lobo Sebastian.

13 episode first season.

Last edited by dex14; 06-06-19 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-23-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts
re: Queen of the South (USA) -- Series Thread -- premieres 6/23/16

I'm going to give this a shot based on the previews. I don't have a lot of bandwidth for more TV shows, so fingers crossed.
Old 06-23-16, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I saw the preview for this in the movie theater a few months ago and I'm looking forward to it tonight. I like that it's a Mexican cartel thriller told from a female perspective.

I laughed when I saw it listed on my DVR as "Piloto"
Old 06-24-16, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

I thought the "Piloto" was pretty good. Very fast paced with lots of action. Very dark show judging by the 1st episode. Some of the stuff was almost R rated material. This is almost like an FX show.

I'm glad that they are going the route of Teresa being an anti-hero even before she apparently becomes the cartel queen. I laughed earlier in the episode when they showed a scene from Scarface. Since this show really has no name actors, it will probably get overlooked here by most, especially with the title "Queen of the South."

Looks like Varga's wife will be her mentor as she moves up the ranks.

I'm sure her fate in the opening scene will be addressed again by the season finale.

I actually remembered Alice Braga from Elysium and Predators. I liked her in them. Glad she's getting a chance for her 1st big lead role.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-24-16 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-24-16, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been interested in this show since I got a first glimpse of a preview. I watched the documentary Cocaine Cowboys and there was a female kingpin there. I've watched various movies and TV shows about Pablo Escobar. So far, I'm not overloaded. I find them interesting as long as they're done well. This will hold me over until Season 2 of Narcos. Unfortunately, I won't count in the ratings because I doubt I'll watch it week to week. Instead, I'm DVR'ing it for a bit of bulk watching, so when I do watch it and like it (as I suspect I will), I can go to the next episode. Summer's just a difficult time to find time for TV shows.

I remember the main actress as well (though not by name). From what I could see in the previews, I think she'll do a good job.
Old 06-24-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

I enjoyed the piloto.
Old 07-02-16, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I enjoyed the pilot but holy shit the actors playing Brenda and her kid were just awful.
Old 07-04-16, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Episode 2 was pretty good.

Teresa swallowing 23 condoms/balloons of coke was pretty crazy. But, I'm sure that's common practice in the drug smuggling. They either barf it out or shit it out.
Old 09-06-16, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Renewed for a 2nd season: http://deadline.com/2016/09/queen-of...er-1201814046/

Just finished episode 7 yesterday. A few weeks behind. A little bit of a slow burn in recent weeks, but I looking forward to seeing Teresa evolve into the drug kingpin that she will be.

Glad it's doing well ratings-wise for USA. They've struggled with a lot of recent shows.

The series, which took awhile to get to the screen, debuting more than a year after getting a series order, has been a solid performer for USA, delivering an average of 2.26MM total viewers in Live+7. It has ranked as Thursday’s No. 1 cable entertainment program in Prime among P18-49s (952K) and P25-54s (1.08MM), throughout its run.
Old 06-08-17, 06:43 AM

Re: Queen of the South (USA) -- Series Thread -- premieres 6/23/16

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XwR2ydQqfr4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Inspired by the global best-selling novel "La Reina Del Sur" by internationally acclaimed author Arturo Pérez-Reverte, QUEEN OF THE SOUTH follows the journey of Teresa Mendoza (Alice Braga) and the sacrifices she must make not only to survive but to also make it to the top of the drug world. Where will she draw the line when her moral code and her destiny are at odds? QUEEN OF THE SOUTH is executive produced by David T. Friendly ("Little Miss Sunshine," "Courage Under Fire") and Natalie Chaidez ("12 Monkeys"). The series is co-produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and Universal Cable Productions. Season 2 premieres Thursday, June 8 at 10/9c.
Old 06-25-17, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, this show definitely doesn't draw much discussion.

I just got caught up with the 1st 3 episodes. So far, it's been pretty good.

Frankly, my favorite actor on this series is Veronica Falcon, who plays Camila. I love how she plays the character. Cold and calculating.

It was interesting how they brought back Teresa's boyfriend and that he's actually a good guy working for the DEA to help bring down the cartel. While we know that it's Teresa's destiny to become the most notorious drug dealer in the States. I don't think we're anywhere near that road yet.

I like John Pyper Ferguson (Tex from Last Ship) as the DEA agent.

I in the previous episode when Cortez fed Don Epifanio that BBQ'd human and is now sort of controlling him.

There is really no likable character you want to root for. Everyone in this show, even Teresa, are bad people.
Old 06-26-17, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It was interesting how they brought back Teresa's boyfriend and that he's actually a good guy working for the DEA to help bring down the cartel.
He's not a good guy. He's a criminal who worked for the cartel, was stealing from them, and about to get snuffed because of it. The DEA got to him just before that happened and gave him the only offer that was likely to leave him alive. That's why he's working with them.

While we know that it's Teresa's destiny to become the most notorious drug dealer in the States. I don't think we're anywhere near that road yet.
The show is different from what I expected going in, but I'm still watching so far. Veronica Falcon as Camila does indeed contribute a lot to keeping the show watchable as Teresa develops.
Old 08-10-17, 02:39 PM

Renewed: http://deadline.com/2017/08/queen-of...sa-1202146518/
Old 06-06-19, 07:40 AM

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yFotq2b2QBU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starring Alice Braga as Teresa Mendoza, a woman who is forced to run from the Mexican cartel and seek refuge in America, this action-packed series returns for its highly anticipated fourth season on Thursday, June 6 at 10/9c. In Season 4 of Queen Of The South, Teresa expands her empire to the East Coast by taking on the Big Easy - New Orleans, Louisiana. But when new enemies emerge and familial trust is broken, Teresa is forced to make difficult decisions that weigh heavy on her soul.