Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

buggy script

Old 06-03-17, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,060 Likes on 575 Posts
buggy script

Now we have ads with buggy script that lock up my browser.

Good work.
Old 06-04-17, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: buggy script

Trying to squeeze that extra penny.
Old 06-04-17, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 352 Likes on 248 Posts

Welcome to DVDTalk 2017 where re-directs, bad ads and buggy scripts are a feature not a problem...
Old 06-05-17, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all bad ad issues can you provide a screenshot of the offending ad? Just saying there is a bad ad doesn't help us locate and remove it. We don't control the ad networks that push these ads, the only way for us to report them is if we know which specific one is causing the issues.

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
Now we have ads with buggy script that lock up my browser.

Good work.
Old 06-05-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by IBrshao
For all bad ad issues can you provide a screenshot of the offending ad? Just saying there is a bad ad doesn't help us locate and remove it. We don't control the ad networks that push these ads, the only way for us to report them is if we know which specific one is causing the issues.
As much as it would be great to get screen grabs, it can almost impossible when it takes over the phone vibrating the crap out of everything.
Old 06-05-17, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,060 Likes on 575 Posts

I can't tell what ad it is, because the ad can't LOAD.

I get a system report that a script is slowing down the system, and gives me the options to debug the script, contintue to try to load the script, or to stop the script.

I stop the script, and everything goes back to normal.

Then, it happens again.
Old 06-09-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,430 Likes on 912 Posts

Here's a screen shot. I don't know what good it will do. The ads or videos were off the top of the window.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-po...hread-211.html

Old 07-31-17, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

I don't know if this is an issue with the ads, but for the past week I've had a very hard time navigating the site with Firefox. I keep getting errors and connectivity issues. Changing to IE makes everything work fine but I usually browse with Firefox and am a little bummed out that I can't any more on this site.
Old 08-01-17, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't know if this is an issue with the ads, but for the past week I've had a very hard time navigating the site with Firefox. I keep getting errors and connectivity issues. Changing to IE makes everything work fine but I usually browse with Firefox and am a little bummed out that I can't any more on this site.
I'm seeing the same thing with Firefox as well. I had seen it a few weeks ago, but it seemed to go away, only to return in full force over the last week or so. I figured it was something on my end. I've switched to Chrome and so far so good.
Old 08-02-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Having the same issues on Firefox for the past week or more now. Getting the 'Unable to Connect' page when I click anything on the site, having to go back and forth a whole lot of times until I get anything to load.
Old 08-02-17, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

We don't control the ad networks that push these ads, the only way for us to report them is if we know which specific one is causing the issues.
Do you control which ad networks you use?
Old 08-03-17, 11:42 AM

Very strange that this is only happening on Firefox. Is there some fundamental difference between the three browsers?

Can one of you show me a screenshot of the error message?
Old 08-03-17, 02:57 PM

And wouldn't you know it, today is the first day in 2 weeks where it isn't glitching on FireFox. Maybe it's fixed?

I'll post if I get it again.
Old 08-09-17, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Funny, things started working for me again around the same time they did for Decker, but I just got the error a few minutes ago.

Clicking Try Again does nothing. I have to go back to the previous page. From there it'll seem to be ok, but then eventually when clicking other links the issue may pop up. The issue isn't happening at nearly the same frequency as it was about a week ago.
Old 08-10-17, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has this been resolved?
Old 08-10-17, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,430 Likes on 912 Posts

Mrs Danger says that it seemed to have been fixed, but then DT locked up again today. Firefox stopped responding. She had to use Task Manager to close Firefox.
Old 08-11-17, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Clear DVDTalk cookies.
Old 08-15-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 559 Likes on 403 Posts

I get slow response times and "shockwave flash is not responding" messages repeatedly here.
Old 08-16-17, 11:39 AM

Did you try the cookie and cache flush?

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I get slow response times and "shockwave flash is not responding" messages repeatedly here.
Old 08-18-17, 04:10 PM

It's back - with a Vengeance

I can't even use Firefox on the site today at all. They "cookie and cache flush" did not help.
Old 08-22-17, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 559 Likes on 403 Posts

Did you try the cookie and cache flush?
yes. if it solved anything, it was very short term.
Old 08-22-17, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Your ad network is shit. Today, I loaded this page, and noticed that everything was slowing to a crawl. When I looked at the waterfall for this one page, I noticed that it had been loading (and reloading) Ad resources at a brisk clip for 14 minutes straight (over 1600 requests)! And that happened while doing nothing but simply loading up the page and then letting it sit idle. When I looked at the RAM usage, it had caused the Chrome Helper for this page to balloon to 3.5 GiB of RAM! No wonder people's computers are crashing!

See the waterfall:

http://imgur.com/a/Il6sw

Here is the console output it generated during that period:

https://pastebin.com/D5uC6Jv6

I know I've said it several times over the past couple weeks, but DUMP THE AD NETWORK! It is doing nothing but making things shitty on this site and chasing away the users.
Old 08-23-17, 10:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
It is doing nothing but making things shitty on this site and chasing away the users.
you say that as of that isn't the intended goal at this point.
I highly doubt IB is breaking even on this place.
Old 09-18-17, 10:41 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Your ad network is shit. Today, I loaded this page, and noticed that everything was slowing to a crawl. When I looked at the waterfall for this one page, I noticed that it had been loading (and reloading) Ad resources at a brisk clip for 14 minutes straight (over 1600 requests)! And that happened while doing nothing but simply loading up the page and then letting it sit idle. When I looked at the RAM usage, it had caused the Chrome Helper for this page to balloon to 3.5 GiB of RAM! No wonder people's computers are crashing!

See the waterfall:

http://imgur.com/a/Il6sw

Here is the console output it generated during that period:

https://pastebin.com/D5uC6Jv6

I know I've said it several times over the past couple weeks, but DUMP THE AD NETWORK! It is doing nothing but making things shitty on this site and chasing away the users.
Not to give IB any ideas, but I wonder if what you're showing above has anything to do with what TPB has been caught doing:
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-p...-monero-2017-9

The Pirate Bay is experimenting with an unconventional way of raising money: hijacking visitors' web browsers to "mine" cryptocurrencies.

The torrent-news site TorrentFreak is reporting that the piracy site has introduced a piece of software that stealthily uses the processing power of users' computers to make some extra cash for the site.

How? Well, very quickly: Cryptocurrencies (a class of digital currencies, the most famous of which is bitcoin) don't have any central bank or regulatory authority. Instead, people on the network are encouraged to contribute to the network's upkeep by offering their computers' processing power in exchange for a chance to "mine" coins or currency.

This is what the software The Pirate Bay has introduced is doing — but it makes use of other people's computer hardware to do so, rather than its own.

Visitors to the site are seeing their central processing unit usage jump while on certain pages as a result. (It can be blocked by disabling Javascript or by using an ad blocker.)
Old 09-19-17, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Received 1,056 Likes on 616 Posts

Hey guys, I can assure you that we're not doing anything like The Pirate Bay (I think that's a relatively new method of mining, although I'm not 100%). I will check with our tech guys to see if it's an ad issue (most likely) or something else. Also, Roger decided to leave the company for greener pastures, so I'll be chiming in on problems now.