Lady Superhero costumes redesigned by ladies

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 05-30-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Lady Superhero costumes redesigned by Ladies

Gentlemen, we need to chat. Because — real talk — you seem to have only the vaguest concept of how clothing functions. Many thanks to Celeste Pille for bringing these designs to life!
So it's designed by ladies, or one particular lady? I don't get why many of the female superheroes are redesigned with different body types, and made to look less attractive in the face as well.

One of the worst.

One of the best.

I agree with getting rid of Powergirl's boob window but losing the cape because it's impractical? Why not remove that from Superman as well?

Last edited by brayzie; 05-30-17 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Lady Superhero costumes redesigned by ladies

How does that redesign give Psylocke any more breast support than her normal costume?
Old 05-30-17, 04:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of the costumes have already been revamped in the past couple years to be more functional & less gratuitous, so it's not as big of a statement as it could be. And the fact that the new costumes aren't particularly good doesn't help.
Old 05-30-17, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Weird that the Spider Woman costume keeps the crotch arrow, especially since she already has a revamped costume that looks a lot better (and she was pregnant in it).

See the original post here, which also started a 12 page discussion about body shaming:

http://community.comicbookresources....s-of-ourselves

Last edited by fujishig; 05-30-17 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

No offense to the artist, but I'm not a fan of the art of all the redesigns at all, even if i get the point that's trying to be made.
Old 05-30-17, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Most of those remind me of 70s and early 80s Superhero cartoons style.
Old 05-30-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Huntress had a much less gratuitous costume in the 90s before Jim Lee revamped her with the horrible hot pants look.

Old 05-30-17, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Huntress's original, post-Crisis costume was cool. The Jim Lee redesign was unnecessary, and his reasoning for it was pretty weak too.

Originally Posted by BGPu
Some of the costumes have already been revamped in the past couple years to be more functional & less gratuitous, so it's not as big of a statement as it could be. And the fact that the new costumes aren't particularly good doesn't help.
It turns out this is an old article, from 2013.

Originally Posted by fujishig
See the original post here, which also started a 12 page discussion about body shaming:

http://community.comicbookresources....s-of-ourselves
That's a pretty good discussion. You can't please everyone. One segment of the community says female superhero costumes that are revealing are sexist. When Marvel and DC cover them up, another segment says that it's body shaming.

I think it's funny how some people tend to speak as if they're representative of the entire minority group they belong to, like the author of this article seems to imply by titling it "redesigned by ladies" but really it's redesigned by one lady. I remember one argument for females not being into comic books is because women characters are drawn to appeal to fanboy fantasies, and the comic book stores themselves are off putting to females because of all the fan service merchandise. And yet, the sexy female superhero costumes sell pretty well for Halloween.
Old 05-31-17, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

wow. The designs are crappy and the artwork is shitty. These bitches can't draw.
Old 06-01-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

This is also how Hollywood ends up butchering superhero costumes. People unfamiliar with the genre as it has been shown for over 70 years come in with redesigns that pay virtually no homage to earlier examples.

Lots of cool superhero costumes have been designed and tweaked by female cosplayers, but they have a genuine interest and respect for conventions of the genre like capes.
Old 06-01-17, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

? I feel like the cinematic universes, especially Marvel, have done a good job with the costumes. The DC ones are not as colorful as I would have liked but otherwise those seem perfectly fine. What designs are you talking about?

Ok I'll give you Iron Fist. He's a character in a mobile game I play and his best version is that wretched Netflix version. And Nova.
Old 06-01-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd say that "Hollywood" has gotten superhero costumes right more then they've gotten it wrong, and even moreso since the popularity of the MCU took off.
Old 06-01-17, 09:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These are just awful. It's like listening to Kanye West trying to critique Mozart.

My favorite part is how she's always going on about how the clothes aren't practical. First of all, not all male superhero oufits are practical looking or comfortable looking around tbe crotch. They're comic books. Get the Hell over it lady!

Secondly, why does she think fabrics in the comic book world work the same? Marvel, for example, is chock full of unstable molecules that can show abs without choking you while keeping breasts in place better than a sports bra. Do a little research lady!

Also, all the talk of body types and issues with female characters are so much one-sided feminazi talk. How many of us men are built like the male superheros? I know I'm built more like Mole Man. Does this take away my enjoyment of reading comics? Hell no. Do I want them to redesign Captain America to be built like me. Hell no!

Get a life lady and get over it.