Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: caligulathegod
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

The following have unknown expiration -- these are old coupon that has been active online for months Please let me know if it's active
15% Off One Item A
15% Off B
15% Off C

ONLINE CODES
25% off single item
None

20% Off Online Single Item
UM2JEPTJDFNG4 - exp 6/19 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF
3DFK58XQZ9AC4
9FBB4LT8D32KS
CN2QAS5VJSQ54
DEXWXAT2199K1
EASTWGZS8XJP4
QR59YQMGEANX8

MOREISMORE
10% off $35 or more, 15% off $60 or more
valid from May 15, 2017 at 12:01am to May 18, 2017 at 2:59am Eastern Time

"New Member" Welcome Coupons ONLINE ONLY EXPIRES February 27, 2016 2:59am ET
Looking for a new member who got these via Joining Email

"New Member" Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business February 26, 2017
Print Wikipost

Old 05-23-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the Eighth Annual Historical Films challenge.

List thread.
  • Challenge runs June 1-30 2017. Memorial Day weekend is a bonus if you aren't participating in another challenge or want to take a break from it.
  • Movies and TV content about an historical figure, event or period are eligible.
  • Genres also include Westerns, War Movies, Biographical films and Period Films.
  • Historical Documentaries
  • Zeitgeist Wild Cards. These are for films that aren't technically period films, but are time capsules of their era. Films like Rebel Without a Cause, Easy Rider, Saturday Night Fever, Valley Girl. They might have been contemporary when released, but they forever represent their time periods. We have three on the checklist, but the actual amount is unlimited.

Total counts really aren't as important in this challenge. Most of the eligible films tend to be rather long, so go ahead and watch Lawrence of Arabia or Barry Lyndon. You can count however you wish. Each episode can count as a single entry rather than the standard 2 broadcast hours equals an entry.

If you have specific questions about a film's eligibility, then please ask in the thread.

Don't abuse the Zeitgeist Wild Card. We're talking the type of film you would consider dressing up as at a theme party. For instance, Vanishing Point takes place in the 70s and is dated, but you wouldn't say it represents what we think of as the 70s, compared to something like Billy Jack, with its 70s era hippies/Kung fu pseudo-spiritualism cheesiness.

I'm proposing one slight change to the rules. I'm allowing in time travel fantasy as long as the time travel is just an element to get the character to the past. Examples would be A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Voyagers!, Outlander, Life on Mars, Quantum Leap, and the like. We're not talking something like Doctor Who, but programs where the protagonist is put back to previous time period and has to deal with it in a non sci-fi way. Fish out of water type stories or those with strong history elements. You can back load these on the final day so they can count for the Sci-Fi challenge but you are welcome to watch them whenever you wish for this challenge. Any objections to the new change?

Last edited by caligulathegod; 05-26-17 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-23-17, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

I wouldn't mind the change.

As for the change to online historical documentaries, I don't mind that either, as between Dogfights, and Victory At Sea, I have two series of historical documentaries. I can also watch Band Of Brothers on HBO Go, and The Tudors, on Showtime Anytime.
Old 05-24-17, 08:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I'm considering re-watching Roots for the first time since broadcast TV days.
Old 05-24-17, 12:29 PM

I just installed Dolby Atmos/DTS-X not too long ago and have been saving Apocalypse Now for a special occasion. Might have to break it out. It used to be my favorite demo disk back in the Laserdisc days.
Old 05-24-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 624 Likes on 458 Posts

I'm OK with the time travel change. If I didn't already have enough traditional fare to fill 3+ months of this one I'd use it to finish Quantum Leap...
Old 05-24-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Change sounds good
Old 05-24-17, 01:41 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
For instance, The French Connection takes place in the 70s and is dated, but you wouldn't say it represents what we think of as the 70s,
Wouldn't the French Connection be suitable for this challenge?

It's adapted from a non-fiction book with characters and story based on real life people/events. And according to Wikipedia:

"In 2005, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being 'culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant'."
Old 05-24-17, 01:44 PM

I didn't get to watch too much during May's MYOC. So I think I'm going to continue my 80's theme. Historical movies made during the 80's. And maybe I'll do some modern movies set in the 80's.
Old 05-24-17, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Wouldn't the French Connection be suitable for this challenge?

It's adapted from a non-fiction book with characters and story based on real life people/events. And according to Wikipedia:

"In 2005, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being 'culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant'."
Yeah, I picked a bad example. I was just trying to think of a 70s movie that was just a movie and not a cultural touchstone. I forgot it was based on a real person/story.
Old 05-24-17, 02:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been waiting for this one.
Old 05-24-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Would Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure qualify for the time travel angle?
Old 05-24-17, 07:14 PM

I'd allow Bill and Ted, and even Peabody & Sherman cartoons. I want to make this challenge fun.
Old 05-24-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Since we are already 16 years into the 21st Century, I'd like to propose that the checklist item of 5 films set prior to the 20th century be changed to the 21st Century.
Old 05-24-17, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recently bought Full Metal Jacket at Wal-Mart about a month and a half ago. Been looking for an excuse to open it up and revisit that classic film. Haven't seen Cutthroat Island in years either. And since I love pirate films, this will be a good chance to revisit that as well. Speaking of pirates, been looking for an excuse to finally watch Black Sails, since, since we have Starz on Dish, I get Starz On Demand, on Roku.

Edit to ask:

Would Time Tunnel episodes to the past count? Or did those get too sci-fi? I own the series, but have only seen the first few episodes.

Also, what of documentaries about people? I know Amazon Prime has one on Ray Harryhausen, and I have a couple documentaries on Tolkien on Google Play.

Last edited by shadokitty; 05-24-17 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 11:52 PM

Documentaries on people or historical events are fine. Errol Morris type are OK. Michael Moore and Steve Bannon docs are OK. There's a great one that was on Netflix whose name escapes me that was about a recreation of different time periods meals.

I've never seen Time Tunnel, but if it's historical then it's OK. We're being more lenient this year than in the past.
Old 05-25-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 624 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Edit to ask:

Would Time Tunnel episodes to the past count? Or did those get too sci-fi? I own the series, but have only seen the first few episodes.
I've never seen Time Tunnel, but if it's historical then it's OK. We're being more lenient this year than in the past.
I have seen The Time Tunnel (several times - I own a copy). I'd say the journeys to the past are OK. Much like Quantum Leap the SF part is mostly with them jumping in/out of a time period. There *are* the occasional "Lets try to send them something they need to help" on the part of the Project Tick-Tock scientists but it's rather minimal.
Old 05-25-17, 03:02 PM

Thanks. That's why I changed the rule. Shows like that might use science fiction, but it is a device just to put modern characters into history so we can better relate to the events and cultural differences.
Old 05-25-17, 03:04 PM

Oh, this might be pushing it, but I'm allowing in 11-22-63, the Stephen King miniseries, as well. I've been dying to see it and this gives me an excuse.
Old 05-25-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I have seen The Time Tunnel (several times - I own a copy). I'd say the journeys to the past are OK. Much like Quantum Leap the SF part is mostly with them jumping in/out of a time period. There *are* the occasional "Lets try to send them something they need to help" on the part of the Project Tick-Tock scientists but it's rather minimal.
Thanks. That's why I changed the rule. Shows like that might use science fiction, but it is a device just to put modern characters into history so we can better relate to the events and cultural differences.
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know, so I wanted to ask.
Old 05-25-17, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Yeah, I picked a bad example. I was just trying to think of a 70s movie that was just a movie and not a cultural touchstone. I forgot it was based on a real person/story.
THE FRENCH CONNECTION, though made in 1971, was about events that took place a decade earlier, so it is, to all intents and purposes, a historical film. Just to give you an example of how it played to audiences in the '70s, I remember seeing it back then with two black friends who pointed out that the scene where Popeye and Russo barge into a black bar in Brooklyn and roust the patrons might have happened that way in the early '60s but was not something that would be tolerated in the Black Power era.
Old 05-26-17, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[*]Challenge runs June 1-30 2017. Memorial Day is a bonus day if you aren't participating in another challenge or want to take a break from it.
Any chance we can start on the evening of May 31st? There is a screening of Norma Rae near me that night that I was wanting to go to.

If not, no big deal, but I figured it can't hurt to ask.
Old 05-26-17, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Would Hidalgo qualify as a western? I've been thinking of revisiting that movie, since I haven't watched it in years. If not, it's no big deal. I could probably squeeze it in on the last few days of this month under my make your own challenge.
Old 05-26-17, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Any chance we can start on the evening of May 31st? There is a screening of Norma Rae near me that night that I was wanting to go to.

If not, no big deal, but I figured it can't hurt to ask.
As far as I am concerned, this is Memorial Day Weekend, so if it does not interfere with participation in the current Make Your Own Challenge, you can start tonight. TCM is showing War movies all weekend and that was the original focus of this challenge (and Westerns).

Last edited by caligulathegod; 05-27-17 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-26-17, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As far as I am concerned, this is Memorial Day Weekend. If it does not interfere with participation in the current Make Your Own Challenge, you can start tonight. TCM is showing War movies all weekend and that was the original focus of this challenge (and Westerns).
In that case, I just may start later tonight.
Old 05-26-17, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Would Hidalgo qualify as a western?
IMDB calls it a Western. It should also count as a Historical movie. It's a biographical film based on a real person (although his exploits are probably exaggerated).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Hopkins

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.