Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Okja (2017, D: Bong Joon Ho) S: Swinton, Dano, Seo-Hyun Ahn, J. Gyllenhall

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-18-17, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

(As someone who really dug The Host and Snowpiercer, I really wanna see this on the big screen. Hopefully it plays somewhere near me.)

Directed by Bong Joon-ho (Snowpiercer, The Host), this Netflix original film stars Tilda Swinton, Jake Gyllenhaal, Paul Dano, Giancarlo Esposito, Steven Yeun, Lily Collins and newcomer An Seo Hyun.

Okja will premiere exclusively on Netflix on June 28.

Netflix has said that the film will also get a limited day-and-date theatrical release in the U.S.

For 10 idyllic years, young Mija (An Seo Hyun) has been caretaker and constant companion to Okja, a massive animal and an even bigger friend, at her home in the mountains of South Korea.

But that changes when a family-owned multinational conglomerate Mirando Corporation takes Okja for themselves and transports her to New York, where image obsessed and self-promoting CEO Lucy Mirando (Tilda Swinton) has big plans for Mija's dearest friend.

With no particular plan but single-minded in intent, Mija sets out on a rescue mission, but her already daunting journey quickly becomes more complicated when she crosses paths with disparate groups of capitalists, demonstrators and consumers, each battling to control the fate of Okja

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AjCebKn4iic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DZOI2OjQ1O8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-18-17, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
Re: Okja (2017, D: Bong Joon Ho) S: Swinton, Dano, Seo-Hyun Ahn, J. Gyllenhall

I'll watch this since it's Boon Joon-ho, he isn't my favorite korean director by any means but his output is at least always interesting.

Well that and it's Netflix, so it's not like I have to go out of my way to see it.
Old 05-18-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Looks semi-interesting. I'll watch it because Netflix.
Old 05-19-17, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Reviews are starting to come in from Cannes, where there's a big debate over "Netflix" as a movie release platform. Boon and Swinton defended Netflix (they're both producers), Boon stated they afforded him absolute freedom, Almodóvar (president for this year) hit back that he didn't consider any movie that wasn't going to be shown in French theaters as legitimate.

It was initially boo'ed, but apparently that was due to technical issues. 7 Reviews are out now, 6 positive 1 negative. It sounds like the typical Boon mishmash of genres.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/okja

Now I'm waiting for Netflix to offer Almodóvar $15m for his next movie.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-19-17 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-19-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Almodóvar can fuck off. This is going to be the future for films that typically would not see a large audience (like many of his shitfests) so he should get on board.
Old 05-19-17, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,257 Likes on 837 Posts

Almodovar can fuck off, but in the end, it's the antiquated French law that is stupid. But the irony is delicious:

"Cannes demonstrates the superiority of the big screen experience by showing Netflix film "Okja" in the wrong aspect ratio."
Old 06-28-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Starts today with a Netflix subscription near you.

82%@7.5/10.0 with 90 reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/okja
Old 06-28-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Starts today with a Netflix subscription near you.

82%@7.5/10.0 with 90 reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/okja
I'll be checking it out for sure sometime in the next couple of weeks.
Old 06-28-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

If you're in L.A. The New Beverly will be playing this on the big screen via a 35mm copy struck specifically for them -- I'm sure it was thanks to Quentin Tarantino since he owns the joint.
Old 06-30-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page "Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies":

IN MID-STREAM - Okja (TV-MA/R) - Netflix - What begins as a heart-warming tale of a girl and her super-pig turns dark and tragic

Whew, this was a tough one to sit through, but not because it is a bad movie - it’s actually very good, though (SPOILER) the ending is extremely bittersweet. It is from South Korean director Bong Joon Ho, best know in the states for The Host (2006) and Snowpiercer (2013). From the perspective of an animal-lover, the online trailers and images might lead you to believe Okja is the story of a plucky teenage girl who must rescue her beloved pet from an evil corporation intent on exploiting the animal. On the surface, that is the general plot. But within a few minutes of the film’s beginning, the primary villain drops an f-bomb during a press conference and lets us know upfront that Okja is NOT going to be a film that the whole family can enjoy together.

In 2007, the head of Mirando Corporation (Tilda Swinton, in a dual role) announces that it is shipping 26 eco-friendly pig-like mutations to farms around the world, to be raised by farmers in various countries. These mutations look like a cross between a pig and a hippo, with the temperament and intelligence of a pet dog.

Fast-forward ten years, and we meet Okja and her owner, Mija (An Seo Hyun), a teenager girl helping her grandfather scratch out a life on a mountain farm in South Korea. Okja is roughly the size of a full grown hippo, but is playful and protective of Mija. (The effects that bring Okja to life are amazing, by the way.) Mija and her grandfather are visited by representatives of Mirando, including Johnny Wilcox (Jake Gyllenhaal), a very profane and self-absorbed version of television personality Steve Irwin. Mirando is determining which of the 26 specimens they sent into the world turned out the best, and Okja is the winner, hands down.

Despite Mija’s protests, Okja is taken from their home to a corporate location is Seoul. Mija follows, and as Okja is being moved from Seoul to New York for public presentation, an animal rights group called the Animal Liberation Front, lead by Paul Dano, “rescues” the super-pig and Mija. The rescue is short-lived, we discover, as the ALF has their own plans to use Okja to take down the Mirando Corporation.

Despite some bouts of humor and corporate satire, Okja is a dead-serious movie about animal cruelty, corporate greed, and consumerism. During the film, you actually fear for what’s going to happen to both Okja and Mija, as the Mirando crew will do anything to get their end product to market, and the second half of the film is extremely dark and terrifying for our heros.

Again, this is NOT a family-movie, however it is well-made and absorbing in various spots. Jake Gyllenhaal’s character is a bit over the top bizarre, and Tilda Swinton’s Lucy is a tad overdone in spots, as well. Overall, I give Okja 3.5 lightsabers out of 5, but I am not sure this is one I would choose to revisit in the future.

NOTES FOR PARENTS - Despite the relationship between the heroine and her amazing animal companion, Okja is rated TV-MA/R for frequent uses of the “f” bomb and other profanity in various forms throughout the film (spoken and in subtitles), and escalating violence against both people and animals, especially in the second half of the film. There is no sexual content. Mija, Okja, and other characters are shown in peril and getting hurt at different points in the story. A lab that works with deformed super pigs is very disturbing, and the last act takes place at a super-pig slaughterhouse, where we see the animals being processed for consumption. In a humorous scene, Okja’s ability to fire poop-pellets on demand is demonstrated during an escape.

There is an after-credits scene showing members of the ALF preparing for another strike against the Mirando Corporation.

SHARE this review with friends and family, and LIKE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies!

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.
Old 07-01-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Yeah, Jake takes his character over the top and keeps going. He was having a blast, I imagine. I heard this is the role for the actress that plays Mija. Good job.

I really liked it. The craziness of the plot kept me interested and It's beautiful to look at. It's a tough decision for parents to let kids see this. It's a young girl trying to save her pet pig but it has some adult content outside of the f-bombs.
Old 07-01-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It's a tough decision for parents to let kids see this. It's a young girl trying to save her pet pig but it has some adult content outside of the f-bombs.
Yeah, that third act is definitely nightmare fuel for kids....
Old 07-01-17, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Saw this today. Really enjoyed it.

The small bouts of humor were appreciated among all the images of Animal Cruelty.

When the film gives Ahn Seo-hyun more to do than scream Okja's name, she is absolutely fantastic. The entire cast is solid.
Old 07-01-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was Gyllenhall channeling Rip Taylor? I was just glad to finally hear the term "fucktard" in a movie.

I also feel like this was Bongs most normal and accessible movie. Not that it's a bad thing, he's one of the few foreign directors to get good performances out of english speaking actors. Enjoyed it, glad it only had a semi-Korean ending.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-01-17 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-02-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Watched it this morning and it's one of the best films of the year. Bong-joon Ho continues to do no wrong. I'm hoping we'll see a sequel to The Host -- they did create some "proof of quality" reels a few years ago, so here's hoping Netflix gives hims more carte blanche.

Here's a Host 2 test from a few years ago:

Old 07-03-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Now I wish I had gone to the New Bev screening.... Tarantino and Bong Joon-ho were both there.

Old 07-07-17, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Really enjoyed this one. Debating if I'll let my nieces watch considering some of the content at the end. Great film though.
Old 07-07-17, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

I'm curious as to what it would taste like.
Old 07-07-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I'm curious as to what it would taste like.
Old 07-08-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Started to watch this, was tired and got bored so I shut it off during the scene where Jake Gyllenhall and crew get to the mountain top. Too much time spent traipsing around the woods beforehand -- started to think it was a Lord of the Rings movie. I'll go back to this, but I'm in no hurry.
Old 07-14-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of kids who are going to end up as future vegetarians after watching that slaughterhouse scene.
Old 07-14-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Started to watch this, was tired and got bored so I shut it off during the scene where Jake Gyllenhall and crew get to the mountain top. Too much time spent traipsing around the woods beforehand -- started to think it was a Lord of the Rings movie. I'll go back to this, but I'm in no hurry.
For what it's worth, it speeds up substantially after that

Last edited by RichC2; 07-14-17 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-14-17, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you Rich! I think I'm going to have some time this weekend to catch up on a few things (if I don't just crash out asleep) and will try to get back to this.
Old 07-15-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Really liked this movie. I didn't know anything about it before seeing it and was surprised by some of the cast members. I was also surprised by where this movie went at times. Torture, rape and mutilations are in this movie. I wouldn't let any young people watch it or watch it first to know which parts to skip over.
Old 07-17-17, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmm. I had trouble staying with this one. I think every tonal shift caused me to check out for awhile, then I would get back into it and things would shift again. I'm thinking just about any part may have been good, but the sum of the parts just didn't add up to a greater whole.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.