Black Lightning (DC Comics) -- From EP Greg Berlanti -- In Development

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-01-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...erlanti-924999

Black Superhero Drama From Greg Berlanti, Salim and Mara Brock Akil in the Works

'Black Lightning' is being shopped to networks this season.
DC Comics guru Greg Berlanti is teaming with The Game's Salim and Mara Brock Akil for a potentially ground-breaking superhero drama.

The Arrow/Flash/Supergirl/Legends of Tomorrow exec producer is working with the Akils to develop Black Lightning, a drama about one of DC Comics' first major African-American superheroes. (The character debuted in 1977 and was created by Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eeden.)

A network is not yet attached, but the drama is being pitched to networks this development season after being in the works at Warner Bros. Television — where the Akils and Berlanti are under rich overall deals.

Here's the official logline: Jefferson Pierce made his choice: he hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hell-bent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend — Black Lightning.

In the comics, Pierce has two daughters who both became superheroes: Anissa Pierce (aka Thunder), a member of the Outsiders; and Jennifer Pierce (aka Lightning), who is recruited by the Justice Society of America.

The Akils (Being Mary Jane) will pen the script and exec produce alongside Greg Berlanti Productions' Berlanti and Sarah Schechter.

Should Black Lightning move to series at a broadcast network, the drama would be the first to feature an African-American superhero as its lead. Netflix, of course, has Marvel drama Luke Cage due this month.

For Berlanti, Black Lightning marks his latest DC Comics-inspired drama. In addition to Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow, he has Archie Comics take Riverdale — also based on the DC characters — due to join his super slate at The CW. Black Lightning also marks Berlanti's latest sale this development season, where he's reteaming with Blindspot creator Martin Gero for Criminal at ABC and Raised by Wolves with Diablo Cody at ABC. The Akils, in their first year with WBTV, also have Documenting Love at ABC.

Not at all familiar with the Black Lightning character.

Would not surprise me if this somehow ends up at The CW.
Old 09-01-16, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
re: Black Lightning (DC Comics) -- From EP Greg Berlanti -- In Development

Nice. I wish they had chosen him for the Justice League film instead of Cyborg but I'll take a tv show.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-02-16 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-01-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

IIRC, he was in the Young Justice show briefly and sort of took Static under his wing.
Old 09-01-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Probably won't tune into this. Never heard of the character before and I'm watching too many Superhero themed shows as-is.
Old 09-01-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Nice. I wish they had chosen him for the Justice League film instead of Cyborg but I'll take an tv show.
Any black superhero would have been preferable to Cyborg.
Old 09-01-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

I'd prefer a live action Static Shock.
Old 09-01-16, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Black Lightning (DC Comics) -- From EP Greg Berlanti -- In Development

They need to bring in Apache Chief as well.
Old 09-01-16, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ That's Black Vulcan. A completely different character who first appeared on the Super Friends cartoon.
Old 09-01-16, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

No Sinbad? No sale.

Old 09-01-16, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Nice. I wish they had chosen him for the Justice League film instead of Cyborg but I'll take an tv show.
Fuck that. John Stewart. Fuck. Is there any legit fans that hold Cyborg to be good enough to be in the JL? Shit. Was he even that interesting in the TT comics? Cuz from what I saw he was never that great in them.

Originally Posted by Thrush
Any black superhero would have been preferable to Cyborg.
Old 09-01-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
^ That's Black Vulcan. A completely different character who first appeared on the Super Friends cartoon.
Yeah another black character with lightning powers, what a coincidence. Supposedly the only reason they created another character was so they didn't have to pay Tony Isabella.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/career-wee...ack-lightning/

In fact, I'm surprised they're shopping this around and not Static (yet another black superhero with lightning powers) or something. Or heck a Milestone series, since they were able to use Icon and Rocket in YJ.

As far as Cyborg goes, don't get me wrong, I loved the New Teen Titans back in the day, but his claim to fame was always his awful underwear costume and his constant, Thing-like whining about now being a man anymore. But Johns wanted Hal back so what else are you going to do to bring in some measure of diversity? Create someone new? Ha!

Last edited by fujishig; 09-01-16 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-02-16, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I've been a big Black Lightning fan for decades. He's been a reserve member of the Justice League going back some years. You can see him standing behind Wonder Woman in this cover. I was surprised DC started promoting Cyborg ahead of him a few years ago.

Fujishig is entirely correct that DC renamed him Black Vulcan for the cartoon show. Superfriends was designed to sell toys and they didn't want to pay his creator.

And yes, I was looking for any excuse possible to post this cover. It pays to search for the entire wraparound cover not visible above.
Old 09-02-16, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I was surprised DC started promoting Cyborg ahead of him a few years ago.
Cyborg has been in the Teen Titans cartoons for years so kids are familiar with him, some have "grown up" with him.
Old 09-02-16, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

I've been a big Black Lightning fan for decades. He's been a reserve member of the Justice League going back some years. You can see him standing behind Wonder Woman in this cover. I was surprised DC started promoting Cyborg ahead of him a few years ago.

Fujishig is entirely correct that DC renamed him Black Vulcan for the cartoon show. Superfriends was designed to sell toys and they didn't want to pay his creator.

And yes, I was looking for any excuse possible to post this cover. It pays to search for the entire wraparound cover not visible above.
My comic shop has a wrap of the full cover on their window.
Old 09-02-16, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah another black character with lightning powers, what a coincidence. Supposedly the only reason they created another character was so they didn't have to pay Tony Isabella.

In fact, I'm surprised they're shopping this around and not Static (yet another black superhero with lightning powers) or something. Or heck a Milestone series, since they were able to use Icon and Rocket in YJ.

As far as Cyborg goes, don't get me wrong, I loved the New Teen Titans back in the day, but his claim to fame was always his awful underwear costume and his constant, Thing-like whining about now being a man anymore. But Johns wanted Hal back so what else are you going to do to bring in some measure of diversity? Create someone new? Ha!
I brought this up in the JL thread. What about Martian Manhunter? He checks the diversity box and hes a 10 times better Hero and character than Cyborg.
Old 09-02-16, 09:20 AM
Banned

Green ain't black.

You want a black guy on the JL. You'd get John Stewart.
Old 09-02-16, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Honestly when I read the title, even though I know it's Black Vulcan, that popped into my mind as well.
Old 09-02-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I bet the prices went up on the Black Lightning comics on ebay.
Old 09-02-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Green ain't black.

You want a black guy on the JL. You'd get John Stewart.
Hes Black in his human form. Plus I dont think anyone would complain about a black guy with green makeup on.
Old 09-02-16, 12:06 PM
Banned

He can be black in his human form. He has also been white. And Asian too.

You go for diversity. You go all out for it. Making the green man go black for diversity... is just not really pushing for an actual sense of diversity. You got a shape shifter... it doesn't count in a way. If it was just casting a cast of characters w/o the WB need for diversity which they aren't hiding.. it'd be fine.

Let us say that we got a Supes, Bats, and WW in there. The 2nd line of characters would be like... a GL, a Flash, MM, and Aquaman.

Now... Momoa is diversity in the right way just cuz... well... Aquaman was in a fucked state in pop culture that hasn't left just yet. Mamoa mans the fuck up to what people may have thought Aquaman was.

You'd go w/ John Stewart for diversity w/o feeling like it. Cyborg is unwanted by all.
Old 09-02-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

Thanks for the link, I had been aware of that, I just look at them as separate characters once the decision was made. It can easily be argued that the decision shouldn't have been made, but it was.

But Johns wanted Hal back so what else are you going to do to bring in some measure of diversity? Create someone new? Ha!
I wouldn't at all mind them trying to create someone new, but there are established non-white DC super-heroes around, like Bronze Tiger, Vixen, the female Dr. Light. I always liked Bronze Tiger especially, and was bummed that they couldn't even find a place for him in a Suicide Squad movie. Bumblebee appeared in a recent DC Superhero Girls: Hero of the Year dvd, maybe they'll use more of her?
Old 09-02-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah this my my fave version of Black Lightning.
Old 09-02-16, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Fuck that. John Stewart.
Naw, FUCK THAT. We had John in the JL cartoons. Give another hero a shot.
Old 09-02-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Vixen was in the Meltzer lineup referenced above (and the Mcduffie lineup after that) and had that connection to the WB series. Bumblebee is actually a prominent figure in the toy lineup of Superhero Girls, more so than say, Katana. For a while, DC was replacing heroes left and right... Asian Atom, Black/Asian Firestorm, Hispanic Blue Beetle, Black Aqualad, and then most got reverted not because of (overt) racism, but because people or writers wanted the characters they grew up with. Then we got a gay Green Lantern, a black Superman, a black Huntress,Ma black Wally West and now a Chinese Superman.

I can only imagine Cyborg made the cut because:
-he has exposure via Teen Titans, a team which was gone in the comics anyway;
-he fills the technological dues ex machine role, as well as the Iron Man like role for cool movie scenes;
-power-wise, he's not woefully out of place because you can just make it up as you go along; Johns is a huge fan of Super Friends and he was on that show for a minute;
-Johns is a super huge fan of Hal Jordan so no Stewart in the initial lineup;
-Tony Isabella royalties.
Old 09-02-16, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I've always thought Cyborg got picked by the movie division and Johns because they saw him as black Iron Man.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.