Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Man Sues Date for Texting During Movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-17-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Not all heroes wear capes.

A man is suing a Round Rock woman for texting during a movie date at the Barton Creek Square theater, according to a petition filed in small claims court in Travis County.

Brandon Vezmar, 37, of Austin filed the claim Thursday against his date. He is asking for $17.31, which was the price of the movie ticket to a 3D showing of “Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2,” he told the American-Statesman Tuesday.

The 35-year-old woman, reached by phone Tuesday, said she didn’t know about the claim against her. She asked that her name not be used.

“Oh my God,” she said. “This is crazy.”

Vezmar, who has his own communications consulting company, said he met the woman online and went with her on their first date May 6 to the movie.

“It was kind of a first date from hell,” he said. About 15 minutes after the movie began, Vezmar said, his date started texting on her phone. “This is like one of my biggest pet peeves.”

In the petition, Vezmar said the woman “activated her phone at least 10-20 times in 15 minutes to read and send text messages.”

Vezmar said he asked her to stop but she refused. He said he told her that maybe she could go outside to text. She left the theater and never came back, Vezmar said.

She also left in her car, which they had driven to the theater, leaving Vezmar without a ride, he said. He said he texted her a few days later asking for the price of the ticket but she refused to pay it.

The woman said Tuesday she only texted on her phone in the theater two or three times.

“I had my phone low and I wasn’t bothering anybody,” she said. She was texting a friend, who was having a fight with her boyfriend, she said. “It wasn’t like constant texting.”

She said Vezmar had called her to ask her to pay him back for the movie ticket but she refused because “he took me out on a date.”

She said she also planned to file a protective order against Vezmar for contacting her little sister to get the money for the movie ticket.

According to the petition, the texting was a “direct violation” of the theater’s policy and that his date “adversely” affected Vezmar’s viewing experience and that of other patrons.

“While damages sought are modest, the principle is important as defendant’s behavior is a threat to civilized society,” the petition said.

“I’m not a bad woman,” the woman told the Statesman. “I just went out on a date.”
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...NqKuTtSTtX1JK/
Old 05-17-17, 08:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Man Sues Date for Texting During Movie

I knew it, a Round Rock woman. I grew up there with those insensitive, shady bitches.
Old 05-17-17, 08:54 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Looks like suing a woman for $17 could be the new negging.

But seriously... Dude contacted her sister to try to get $17 back? Look, I hate people texting in theatres as much as anyone (I'm of the "not even once" mindset), but this makes him sound like a total creep.
Old 05-17-17, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
...but this makes him sound like a total creep.
This. I hope this guy goes the rest of his life without getting laid. Good example of someone who should not be dating. But should be locked up in his sad one bedroom apartment, trolling Youtube, and posting on a nearly-defunct forum dedicated to a nearly-defunct media format.

So which one of you is Brandon Vezmar?
Old 05-17-17, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

I bet she said that just to make him look even more creepy. I would like that part to be investigated.. lol

As for the rest good for him, I know I wouldn't have gone his route if it had happen to me. Good for him nonetheless.
Old 05-17-17, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Bah, they're both idiots! She's an inconsiderate bitch and he's a weird creep.
Old 05-17-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Bah, they're both idiots! She's an inconsiderate bitch and he's a weird creep.
Yeah, I'll go along these lines....I've made the ole "Turn Your Phone off" comments (and get louder each time) in the middle of movies if they are directly in my line of sight, but that's about it. Unfortunately, I'm with a lovely woman I call wife that thinks I'll get shanked for speaking up. I rarely go to the theaters anymore. Crowd issues+horrible theater patrons+theater prices = I'll wait for disc/digital.
Old 05-17-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Pictures of the guy as well as some of his personal history as well as some screencaps of texting between the two here (if anyone is remotely curious):

http://heavy.com/news/2017/05/brando...alaxy-texting/
Old 05-17-17, 09:53 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
I bet she said that just to make him look even more creepy. I would like that part to be investigated.. lol
He admitted on Twitter that he blasted out messages to a bunch of people that share her last name, trying to get them to give him her address to file the claim. She confirmed that her sister was one of those people. He got no response so he used Spokeo to guess her address.

In my opinion, that's full-on creepy shit to do for a $17 dispute.
Old 05-17-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait to see if he stars in the next Drafthouse PSA.
Old 05-17-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I don't agree with the stupid lawsuit, but that's what you get for taking a girl out on the first date to a fucking movie. What a way to build comfort sitting in a darkened theater not talking to each other. Wait, at least she had the comforts of her texting.
Old 05-17-17, 10:14 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

They both sound like shitty people to me. Fuck 'em both.
Old 05-17-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
They both sound like shitty people to me. Fuck 'em both.
Old 05-17-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Vezmar said he asked her to stop but she refused. He said he told her that maybe she could go outside to text. She left the theater and never came back, Vezmar said.

She also left in her car, which they had driven to the theater, leaving Vezmar without a ride
Wow, such a great impression having to the HER car on their first date. And he owns his own business?

They so deserve each other.
Old 05-17-17, 12:13 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I don't agree with the stupid lawsuit, but that's what you get for taking a girl out on the first date to a fucking movie. What a way to build comfort sitting in a darkened theater not talking to each other. Wait, at least she had the comforts of her texting.
My thoughts exactly, I couldn't have said it better. A movie for a first date? That's one of the worst first date ideas. Good luck getting to know your date, which is probably more or less what you want to do on a first date, no?
Old 05-17-17, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Pictures of the guy as well as some of his personal history as well as some screencaps of texting between the two here (if anyone is remotely curious):

http://heavy.com/news/2017/05/brando...alaxy-texting/
Oh my God. Reading that link makes me think we will end up like Idiocracy. People are so stupid.

Also, James Gunn keeping his finger on the pulse.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 05-17-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
My thoughts exactly, I couldn't have said it better. A movie for a first date? That's one of the worst first date ideas. Good luck getting to know your date, which is probably more or less what you want to do on a first date, no?
It seems like it worked out perfectly for him. He didn't have to get to the third or fourth date and find out she texted through movies.
Old 05-17-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Wow, such a great impression having to the HER car on their first date.
There is a good chance she picked him up because she didn't want him to know where she lived. Which if that was the case, good call on her part with the way this situation turned out.

If I was a woman going on first time dates, I wouldn't want them knowing where I lived either. With all the fucking creeps out there, who knows what you might run into.
Old 05-17-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

There are other options like getting picked up at a public place. Most women will want to know what kind of car you drive. I'm thinking she was planning on ditching him from the start.

Also shouldn't this be in Otter? It's more dating-related than movie-related. IMO, of course.
Old 05-17-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
There is a good chance she picked him up because she didn't want him to know where she lived. Which if that was the case, good call on her part with the way this situation turned out.

If I was a woman going on first time dates, I wouldn't want them knowing where I lived either. With all the fucking creeps out there, who knows what you might run into.
Which just goes to show you how false that feeling of security is, because he still managed to figure out where she lives. Bottom line is that anyone you truly need to worry about will most likely be able to track you down if they want to. During the course of a first date, you mention where you work, favorite restaurants, anything personal, and a diligent creep will be able to find you.
Old 05-17-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Well this dude will be going to the movies solo from here on out, so problem solved.
Old 05-17-17, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Best divorce ever.
Old 05-17-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow. They really rape you on the price for a 3d screening.
Old 05-17-17, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Wow. They really rape you on the price for a 3d screening.
He should be suing the movie theater and pressing charges.

So that's how it works? I'm a prick, pay me!
Old 05-17-17, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Alamo Drafthouse getting in on pub by offering guy cost of ticket to drop lawsuit: https://consumerist.com/2017/05/17/a...-during-movie/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.