Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

NBA Playgrounds (XBox One, PS4, PC, Nintendo Switch)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-05-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/36DVC-LUCZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/...radition-alive

NBA Playgrounds is coming to consoles next month.

The game is a return to the arcade-style basketball games of yesterday, like NBA Street and NBA Jam. Officially licensed by the NBA, the game features players both active and retired, with Allen Iverson facing off against modern ballers Steph Curry and George Hill in the opening of the trailer

Every NBA team is featured in NBA Playgrounds, and the "roster of current and retired" players can be leveled-up. Keeping inline with its arcade-style roots, Playgrounds features "hundreds of over-the-top dunks and moves."

Playgrounds can be played solo, local-multiplayer, or "against the world" online.

Developed by Saber Interactive, CEO Matt Karch calls it accessible enough for anyone to pick up and play, but it still has "a lot of depth for hardcore pros who’ve mastered their game."

The return of high-flying, cartoonish arcade basketball hits Nintendo Switch, PC, PS4 and Xbox One next month as a digital-download for $20 USD.

Looks like this is successor to NBA Jam.

$20 isn't too bad. I might get this for the XBox One.
Old 04-05-17, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NBA Playgrounds (XBox One, PS4, PC, Nintendo Switch)

I'm down for some arcade basketball but it's hard to tell if that's going to hold up to NBA Jam or NBA Street. And who are Saber Interactive?

Let's see some reviews.

Don't forget the 360 remake of Jam is back-compatible, too.
Old 04-05-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Looks exactly like NBA Jam, just reskinned. No thanks, I'm good with NBA 2K17.
Old 04-05-17, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Nba street vol 2 is one of the best sports games ever made

This doesn't look that good, hate big heads
Old 05-09-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

This was released today. Has anyone played it yet? I want it, but I'm waiting on some reviews before I buy it.
Old 05-09-17, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
This was released today. Has anyone played it yet? I want it, but I'm waiting on some reviews before I buy it.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-switch-and-pc

Here's a review roundup. Mostly favorable calling it good.

For $20, I say go for it . It's not a huge investment for a 2 on 2 arcade game.
Old 05-10-17, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts

I want it on the Switch but it needs some patching, apparently, so might as well wait.
Old 05-10-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I want it on the Switch but it needs some patching, apparently, so might as well wait.
Patching for the Switch version only or is there some common issue?
Old 05-10-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Switch version launched without online multiplayer, though they say it should be patched in a couple of days. Also the portable mode resolution is pretty crappy and people are hoping they can patch it like other games have, but the developers haven't said anything about that. The HD rumble sucks and you can only turn it off at the system level. It also apparently has the mechanic where steals don't take up stamina, which was a problem on the PS4 beta but is not on the PS4 release.

They have some weird omissions too, like no Giannis. They should have the complete players association license so I wonder if that's just added content down the line or something. I will say this, the devs seem pretty active and eager to get the game where it should be, they were just up against a deadline since the NBA season is almost over and 2k looms.
Old 05-10-17, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The Switch version launched without online multiplayer, though they say it should be patched in a couple of days. Also the portable mode resolution is pretty crappy and people are hoping they can patch it like other games have, but the developers haven't said anything about that. The HD rumble sucks and you can only turn it off at the system level. It also apparently has the mechanic where steals don't take up stamina, which was a problem on the PS4 beta but is not on the PS4 release.

They have some weird omissions too, like no Giannis. They should have the complete players association license so I wonder if that's just added content down the line or something. I will say this, the devs seem pretty active and eager to get the game where it should be, they were just up against a deadline since the NBA season is almost over and 2k looms.
Hahah thanks for the info. Sounds like they rushed it to do a universal release
Old 05-10-17, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I should say that the roster omissions are on all platforms. Also some of the legends and their team associations are weird, like Webber on GS and Kemp on Cleveland, though I think they're working on that too.
Old 05-10-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

NBA Playgrounds Is Not The New NBA Jam

http://kotaku.com/nba-playgrounds-is...ium=Socialflow

The reviews I have been reading about this game haven't been good. I think i'm going to pass on this one.
Old 05-10-17, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

I bought it today. I think it's okay. It looks pretty good. I have a shit ton to unlock, that's for sure
Old 05-10-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The main complaint I've seen is the shooting mechanism, which seems more based on timing than the standard release at the top of your jump shot. Perhaps as a result, it's far easier to hit threes than it is to hit layups, which is ridiculous. Hopefully that can be fixed. But it's a 20 dollar game with a huge license, I'm not sure how realistic it was to expect the next fully featured Jam or Street. L
Old 05-10-17, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The ugly face that Iverson puts on when he's about to dunk the ball
Old 05-11-17, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 871 Likes on 642 Posts

I blind bought this on Switch last night. Some points on my short time with the game.

-You can't play as whoever you want. It's all based on decks of "cards" you open. The players you get are the players you can play as. So starting out, there is no way for me to pick the Celtics or any of their players, even in a quick match.

-It not a full arcade game like Jam. Your stamina does not last long at all. Using the juke stick twice will basically drain it from full. No always holding down Sprint in this one.

-The shooting is different. It displays it as your basic let go at the top scenario but it seems harder here. You have to time when you let go of dunks too. In the couple games I played, I missed more dunks than I made.

-I'm not a fan of the vibration the joycons have but in this game it is HORRIBLE. No way to turn it off in-game so I had to turn vibration off completely in the controller menu of the Switch.

-I really want to grab a few friends and give it a try. I have a feeling that 4 player matches would be a lot of fun.

As of now, I'd give it a par to slightly above par score. The limitation of who/what teams you can use is the biggest turn-off for me. I don't know how it's set up behind the scenes in the game but you could go many matches without ever seeing a player from your favorite team. The first deck of cards I got after winning a match had two duplicates from the packs you get at the beginning. When you get a dupe, they just give you 100xp towards your level progress.
Old 05-11-17, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this game is patched like they say it will be it could be a lot of fun. Like others have said, the shooting mechanic is asinine. I gave up trying to dunk and do layups since they are extremely difficult to pull off. I shouldn't need to release the shot button on a dunk to time it perfectly. I was getting destroyed until I decided to just bomb 3's the whole game. Also, the wait for inbounding the ball needs to be removed. It really takes away from the flow.
Old 05-12-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally bought this for the Switch. There's no online play yet but I can't imagine it would be fun just trading threes all day. The roster is so weird. I got my first Laker (no Clippers yet) and it was that long time Laker legend, Luol Deng. Also the best rebounder I've unlocked is none other than Paul Westphal, who inexplicably has a 9 for rebounding despite averaging less than 2 rebounds a game for his career.

I also don't understand the epic/legendary label. Are the stats better? I got an epic Kidd and Dominique, but my non epic Lowry seems to be awesome. That's the one thing about spamming threes... I don't really get how to actually play the game. Like what are the dribble moves, how do you do different dunks? My players can level up and unlock new moves but I have no idea what they are. And there's obviously no boxing out at all.

I don't mind the cards aspect, though I did get three duplicates in my fourth pack which seems insane. Gives you something to work towards at least.
Old 09-14-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Anyone know if Muggsy Bogues is in the Switch version of the game? I know he was added in an update but I have completed the Hornets and never got him. Didn't know if some players didn't get added in the switch patch or not.