Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which new console generation had the least impressive leap in specs and abilities?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which new console generation had the least impressive leap in specs and abilities?
Second Generation (Atari 2600, Magnavox Odyssey2, Intellivison)
3.70%
Third Generation (Nintendo Entertainment System, Master System)
0%
Fourth Generation (Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo)
3.70%
Fifth Generation (Sega Saturn, PlayStation, Nintendo 64)
11.11%
Sixth Generation (PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox)
11.11%
Seventh Generation (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii)
3.70%
Eighth Generation (Wii U, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
66.67%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Which new console generation had the least impressive leap in specs and abilities?

Old 05-05-17, 05:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Which new video game console generation had the least impressive leap in terms of their specs and abilities, when compared to the prior generation of video game consoles?
Old 05-05-17, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
Re: Which new console generation had the least impressive leap in specs and abilities

In my opinion while the current generation is a step up it's not the leap from the previous generation that others were. The graphics are more realistic sure but for some reason they don't seem quite as impressive as the jump from say NES to SNES to N64 etc.
Old 05-05-17, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Re: Which new console generation had the least impressive leap in specs and abilities

What are we considering generations?

WiiU to Switch, for instance, is probably the smallest jump I've seen to a new system, and if you consider the Xbox One S and the PS4 Pro as a generation, that would be similar. Otherwise we'll have to wait and see but this incremental stuff doesn't seem like we'll get the kind of leaps and bounds we're used to.

Same for the DS to 3DS... there's a jump for sure, but not a drastic one.

I assume most consider stuff like Atari 2600 and 5200 to be in the same generation, which means the jump after that was to the NES/Master System, which was significant. Next we get Genesis/SNES/Turbographx, also significant, then the leap to 3d with PS1/Saturn/N64, the rather large jump to PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast/Gamecube, etc.
Old 05-05-17, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't count the incremental upgrades like the One S or PS4 Pro personally.
Old 05-05-17, 08:45 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
What are we considering generations?

WiiU to Switch, for instance, is probably the smallest jump I've seen to a new system, and if you consider the Xbox One S and the PS4 Pro as a generation, that would be similar. Otherwise we'll have to wait and see but this incremental stuff doesn't seem like we'll get the kind of leaps and bounds we're used to.

Same for the DS to 3DS... there's a jump for sure, but not a drastic one.

I assume most consider stuff like Atari 2600 and 5200 to be in the same generation, which means the jump after that was to the NES/Master System, which was significant. Next we get Genesis/SNES/Turbographx, also significant, then the leap to 3d with PS1/Saturn/N64, the rather large jump to PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast/Gamecube, etc.
I apologize about the confusion. When I say "new console generation" I mean only all-new consoles and not mid-generation updates. So in other words, consider the PlayStation 4 Pro and the upcoming Xbox One Scorpio a part of the current Eighth Generation of consoles along with the current PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Last edited by Sub-Zero; 05-05-17 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-05-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

So what about the Switch then?

I'll say that it took a long time for the current generation to impress me, though. I think nearly every other console generation had either something that was entirely new or at the very least had not obviously been seen in the previous generation, even for the launch titles (it may seem silly now but I was so impressed by the number of characters on screen in Dynasty Warriors 2). This generation started off with some graphical improvements, a bunch of ports, and a ton of digital only games that are basically mimicking the graphical style of games from two or three generations ago.
Old 05-05-17, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I agree that the Switch isn't a huge advancement over the Wii U Nintendo also doesn't really strive for better graphics and whatnot it doesn't seem like. They seem to know their niche and stick to it rather than trying to push the envelope graphically. I think they've advanced from the Wii U in terms of making a better console though. It's early in the Switch's life but it's already seeming like it'll be a better console in my opinion.
Old 05-05-17, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Whoever voted fourth generation is a lunatic.
Old 05-05-17, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I'll go with current gen. Graphically it wasn't as big a leap...or seemed as such. But the biggest thing is how both Sony & MS dropped the ball on carrying over OS features of last gen, almost so much so that current gen was/is a step backwards.

Originally Posted by fujishig
So what about the Switch then?
I dunno, it seems like a pretty big jump from the 3DS to the Switch. I'm still waiting on the successor to the WiiU. :P
Old 05-06-17, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

The current one.
Old 05-06-17, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'll go with current gen. Graphically it wasn't as big a leap...or seemed as such. But the biggest thing is how both Sony & MS dropped the ball on carrying over OS features of last gen, almost so much so that current gen was/is a step backwards.
Yup.
Old 05-06-17, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Easily the current one, both the PS4 and Xbox One were underwhelming spec wise on release. Which makes me glad there are mid-gen upgrades this time around to help make up for that.

And yeah, I consider the Switch as part of the same generation (which we had a thread about here).
Old 05-07-17, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I went with the current gen like most everyone else. I think we're approaching a point of diminishing returns.
Old 05-07-17, 07:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Would love for anybody who didn't vote for current gen to explain?
Old 05-07-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, not sure I get the 4th and 7th gen votes. SNES not a step up from the NES? The biggest question mark goes to the 7th Gen vote.

7th Gen added an [ever evolving]OS with a crap-ton of features. Universal online play. A digital marketplace. Achievements/trophies. Wi-fi. Wireless controllers standard. Oh and there was a little thing called HD that stepped up the graphics game across the board. And then there was the Wii... yeah, motion controls? I will give them the nod for a speaker in the controller. I do like that. Honestly I might put Gen 7 as the BIGGEST leap in gaming over a previous generation.
Old 05-07-17, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

I've been a gamer and lived through all these generations everyone but the current one seemed like a giant leap. The leap from playing Atari 2600 games to playing NES was insane as a kid.
Old 05-07-17, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's true. I'd put 7th right behind that one for most impressive.
Old 05-07-17, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why isn't the Switch with the current gen? Nintendo has two for the current gen. Sad that the Wii U wasn't hot like it could have been. Love me some Bayonetta 2. I honestly can't remember anything NON Nintendo created being worth anything else on it though. That's sad but whatever. Nintendo does Nintendo, whatever that means at the end.
Old 05-08-17, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Because it is about consoles, not handhelds...
Old 05-08-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
Because it is about consoles, not handhelds...
Still sticking with this argument, eh?
Old 05-08-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Still sticking with this argument, eh?
Yep, but let's not get into the fact that the Wii and Wii U are listed in the wrong generation...
Old 05-08-17, 02:53 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I'd agree that the current leap is pretty small. The biggest leap for me was SNES to 3DO which were launched only a couple years apart, but the upgrade was tremendous.
Old 05-08-17, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Current generation for sure. Which is crazy when you consider the amount of time between this generation and the last.
Old 05-09-17, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I actually find this generation to be more impressive than the Xbox 1.5/360 generation

Mostly because while last generation was playing catch up with PC, this gen gave us a feature that still doesn't really exist on the platform: Resume.

But then again a lot could just be from me liking more games this generation.
Old 05-09-17, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Wow, I was expecting the sixth generation to be a blowout - that is the generation that made me quit gaming.

Eighth? Really guys?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.