Marvel Heroes Omega (PS4) [UPDATE: DEAD]

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-29-17, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

So Marvel Heroes Omega is now in closed beta for PS4

This is a port of the computer game called Marvel Heroes. It's a diablo like loot based, F2P game with a lot of micro transactions. The game is a little different on console, so some computer based guides may not work. Also not all the characters are ported over... some are coming, but I doubt we'll get any of the Fantastic Four. Luckily there are so many X-Men already in this game that they couldn't just ignore the license.

The closed beta is only on the PS4 for now but there will be an Xbox One closed beta in the near future.

The main way to get into closed beta is to buy a founders pack, but there are also various sites giving codes away. If you don't buy a founders pack you can still play every hero available for free up to level 10, but to progress beyond that you either have to spend money or farm Infinity shards from battles.

Your progress will be reset after the closed beta is over. You will retain the characters and items you bought in the founders packs you paid money for, but levels, loot, stuff bought with loot, etc will all be set back to 0.

There is two player local co op. Each player needs to have a PSN account (but not ps plus). Only the main player's account will be used, so you'll be leveling up only player ones characters.

The pricing is kind of insane:

59.99 for either an XMen pack or an Avengers pack with 6 heroes, costumes, 10 combo boosts and 20 bucks in Gs (premium in game currency)

39.99 for a Guardians pack with Star Lord, Rocket, costumes, 5 combo boosts and 10 bucks in Gs

19.99 for either a Spider-Man or Deadpool pack with 1 hero, costume, an XP boost and 5 bucks in Gs

16.99 for a similar war machine pack, only for ps plus members and only available through this pack

If you're insane and buy all the packs except for war machine (200 bucks!) you get exclusive access to Iron Fist and Spider-Man symbiote.

Also note that the computer version had a founders sale for all the available characters at launch for 200 bucks, which we probably won't be getting on the console side. But there probably will be character sales.

FAQ: https://forums.marvelheroes.com/disc...ga-console-q-a

Last edited by fujishig; 04-29-17 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-29-17, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Marvel Heroes Omega (PS4) [UPDATE: DEAD]

You'll see a lot of long time players of the computer version upset at the developer, Gazillion.

One of the reasons is that there is no portability between the computer version and the console version. So if you spend a gazillion bucks on the computer version to unlock all the characters you have to do it again on console. This is kind of understandable, since you want players to be on somewhat equal footing when the game starts, though the unlocked characters at least could have been ported over.

The other reason is that a year or so ago they drastically changed the game, simplifying the interface and, the assumption was, preparing it for a console port. There are improvements in the console port that were long asked for on the computer side and never implemented. So the feeling is that the computer guys are being abandoned for the console version. Be warned that this is always a danger in spending money on a game like this. You can spend hundreds if not thousands of bucks and have support be taken away, or the game shut down to make room for some new thing that's more profitable, or even the license to be taken away. Spend wisely.

Note that I've never played the game in either version, this is just what I gathered reading about the game. But I'm well versed in F2P mechanics from mobile games. Also note that a lot of computer only players will tell you that the game was worthwhile, which is why they spent the money and time on leveling their players.
Old 04-29-17, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Note that everyone who participates in the Closed Beta, whether they buy a Founder's Pack or not, will get Daredevil for free.
Old 04-29-17, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Only the main player's account will be used, so you'll be leveling up only player ones characters.
What does this mean? it doesn't save player 2's character?
Old 04-29-17, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69
What does this mean? it doesn't save player 2's character?
It means you're really only playing with player one's roster. If player 2 has an account none of his characters are being used in local co op. On one hand it's good that only one guy has to spend money or unlock characters.
Old 04-30-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I only played an hour or so, but I'm not impressed yet. If it wasn't for the Marvel license I don't think many people would give this game and second look. It's generic and repetitive and no challenge at all. Maybe some of these gripes change over time?
Old 04-30-17, 01:44 PM

Yeah it is repetitive and not very challenging. Still it looks pretty good and that license goes a long way in a game like this.
I could see myself getting pretty hooked on it. To the point that spending $60 for six Avengers characters, six extra costumes and $20 of in-game currency is beginning to sound a little tempting for me (if combined with a "Spend $100, Get $15 back" sort-of deal).

I just don't feel like putting much time into it right now since all progress is going to be wiped anyway (and I've already played it some so I can get my Daredevil character).

Also, here's a code for the Closed Beta in case anyone didn't get one :
Spoiler:
QBDQ-34NB-3PJ2
Old 04-30-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Thanks. I grabbed the Beta code.
Old 05-01-17, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

thanks for posting this, I hadn't read about the progress being reset before official launch. Seems fun, I'll play it for sure, but if its completely unreasonable to unlock characters with in-game currency, I'll punt quickly.
Old 05-01-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used to play the PC version, but stopped after the big update they made right before people started seeing code that indicated a console launch was happening.

The game was pretty fun, but with not a ton of endgame content.

It was still fun to play your favorite comic hero(if it is marvel) and smash enemies.

Of course after the update many people found their heroes being smashed by trash mobs and having nerfed movement in the game.

It just was a slower and weaker version of what the game used to be like.

They promised new gear which they said would fix many of the issues in the Big update.

Of course that was all pushed back as they worked on the console port instead.

So the PC players are sort of waiting around while the game is losing players at a huge rate on the PC version.

Some PC players do not like that you could have spent $100's to $1000's of dollars and you get nothing at all if you play it on console for all that money invested in the game. No credits. no free character or two.

With how they have abandoned PC players many are not sure if dumping money into the console version and rebuying the characters again is a good idea.

Also their license with Marvel is up in 2019 I believe and since they got it before Disney bought Marvel they may have problems getting a renewal so in less than 2 years the game may just disappear.

My suggestion would be to try the game on the PC first and not spend any money to see in general if you like it or not.

I know I would not drop any more money on the game at this point.
Old 05-01-17, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ma.../1100-6449646/

They are giving away beta codes at that link. I think I followed them on instagram, G+ and filled out their form, and got a code within 10 minutes.

The code worked fine on the PS store, but I haven't quite figured out where to go to actually download the beta.
Old 05-01-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Go under your purchase history on the PS4. I think it's one of the options in the library tab.
Old 05-02-17, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF? I have seven entries in that stupid Gamespot contest and still have not got a Beta code yet.
Old 05-02-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
WTF? I have seven entries in that stupid Gamespot contest and still have not got a Beta code yet.
I think I did 3 and got mine right away
Old 05-02-17, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Yeah, I think I got a code within 5 minutes this morning while I was still creating entries...
Old 05-02-17, 09:48 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I filled out the form but I did not get a beta code..if someone has a spare one I would love to have it..if I end up getting an extra code I will put it on here.
Old 05-25-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

I've put about 3-4 hours in and I'll see the story mode through to the end but it's about as bland an action-rpg as you can make. The X-Men Legends and Ultimate Alliance games were far more interesting than this.
Old 11-15-17, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Fuck so the game just launched for consoles in June and they announce today they're shutting it down? I'd be mighty pissed if I had sunk money into buying characters.
Old 11-15-17, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Fuck so the game just launched for consoles in June and they announce today they're shutting it down? I'd be mighty pissed if I had sunk money into buying characters.
Yikes, really? I'll read up on that. I apologize for creating the thread now...

Ah, the license was pulled/will run out. This did feel like a last ditch effort, since they took so long to actually get it out on consoles and finally pushed through. That does suck, though, I wonder how many players the console version had and how generous Sony will be with refunds.

On the bright side I'm really hoping this clears the way for a real Ultimate Alliance type of game to come out (though it'll probably still have a ton of F2P trappings since that's the new norm), especially because they've been a lot more generous in using X-men characters (except for that abomination of a Marvel vs. Capcom game, which is really Capcom vs. the cinematic universe)

edited to add: Seems like Sony isn't budging on refunds. It'll take an uproar to change that, but I'm doubtful there were even enough people who paid to generate one. It does suck that they put the bundles on sale just a few weeks ago to lure more suckers in.

Last edited by fujishig; 11-15-17 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-15-17, 05:48 PM

What? I just barely boug the Avengers in a recent sale and haven't even played them yet. Let me know what Sony's position is. That's bullshit. I mean if they shut it down years later, that is one thing, this is quite another.
Old 11-15-17, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just have this to go by:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelheroe...fk&sh=4beb20b2

I actually didn't spend any money (despite being tempted) so I haven't tried myself.
Old 11-16-17, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I assume the console gets shut down on 12/31 just like the PC. IF so you still have some time to play it until then.

I know on PC they dropped the price for everything to 50gs and are giving you 1000gs every day at login so you can buy anything you want for free.

I had hoped no one would have spent money on the game since I felt the console ports were just an attempt to get enough money to survive after they had already abandoned the PC game.

At least they are keeping the servers up for another month which gives people some time to play it before it goes away.
Old 11-16-17, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by gcribbs
I assume the console gets shut down on 12/31 just like the PC. IF so you still have some time to play it until then.

I know on PC they dropped the price for everything to 50gs and are giving you 1000gs every day at login so you can buy anything you want for free.

I had hoped no one would have spent money on the game since I felt the console ports were just an attempt to get enough money to survive after they had already abandoned the PC game.

At least they are keeping the servers up for another month which gives people some time to play it before it goes away.
Thankfully I never paid any real money for this game. I like this game for what it is and it sucks for people that paid real money to have it run for less than 6 months.
Old 11-23-17, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Marvel Heroes Developer Gazillion Reportedly Shut Down, Game to Close Early
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/...to-close-early

I guess I can delete this now.
Old 11-23-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Geez, happy thanksgiving to all those poor employees. That really sucks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.