Reload this Page >

Kino KL Studio Classics Spring Sale

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 04-21-17, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 582 Likes on 432 Posts

Kino's sales are becoming rather difficult to suss out sometimes. This one seems impossible to find if you're just clicking around their website. Thankfully someone linked to it on Twitter and I got a notification:

https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view...cs-spring-sale

Standard $11.98 sale price for many titles, but quite a few at $9.98 for a change:
Hurricane
3 Bad Men
Back Roads
Ambush Bay
American Dreamer
Beachhead
The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend
Caboblanco
Eleni
The File of the Golden Goose
Finder Keepers
Fort Massacre
Grandview USA
GORP
Loophole
Modesty Blaise
Phantom from 10,000 Leagues
The Purple Plain
The Revengers
Robbers Roose
Roland and Ratfink
Rosary Murders
Salaam Bombay
Scissors
Something Big
Table For Five
Tijuana Toads
Two For The See Saw
Ulee's Gold
The Unholy Four
The War Between Men & Women
Welcome To L.A.
Who Is Harry Kellerman . . .
Who?
Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?
Wolf Lake
Old 04-21-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Kino KL Studio Classics Spring Sale

Took the plunge and ordered about 7 of them. Thanks OP.
Old 04-21-17, 12:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Is there a threshold to get free shipping? --Peter
Old 04-21-17, 12:22 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by proglodite
is there a threshold to get free shipping? --peter
$50
Old 04-21-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Damn it, Brian T....had to get all of the $9.98 titles. Thank you for the post though, can't beat these prices although several in true Kino style, are substandard quality and probably the only chance to own it in what's offered as HD
Old 04-21-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks. Wish the free ship was a lower threshold.
Old 04-22-17, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
$50
And $100 for for Canada
Old 04-22-17, 03:07 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Also Kino loses the rights to "The Hurricane"(1937) on July 31, 2017. Stock is limited. This information is from an insider, Mr. Lime, from Kino and was posted on the Home Theater Forum website.

Sale ends May 7, 2017.

Note that when you put the blu ray of the "The Hurricane" in your cart it says "Temporarily Out of Stock" but they still allow you to order it. It was asked at the Forum if this meant it was out of stock for good since Kino is losing the rights. Mr Lime responded he is pretty sure they still have stock left. If you want it, you shouldn't wait.

Kino is based in New York City, so New Yorkers will be paying sales tax. Not sure about the rest of the country.

Last edited by Classic Films; 04-22-17 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-22-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Also Kino loses the rights to "The Hurricane"(1937) on July 31, 2017. Stock is limited. This information is from an insider, Mr. Lime, from Kino and was posted on the Home Theater Forum website.

Sale ends May 7, 2017.

Note that when you put the blu ray of the "The Hurricane" in your cart it says "Temporarily Out of Stock" but they still allow you to order it. It was asked at the Forum if this meant it was out of stock for good since Kino is losing the rights. Mr Lime responded he is pretty sure they still have stock left. If you want it, you shouldn't wait.

Kino is based in New York City, so New Yorkers will be paying sales tax. Not sure about the rest of the country.
Sigh........ that was one of the 2 I mostly wanted!
Old 04-22-17, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone seen both the Roan DVD & The Kino blu-ray of Lugosi's Invisible Ghost & if so could you comment on how much of an upgrade it is? (The Roan was quite good).
Old 04-28-17, 07:17 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I ordered over a week ago and while I got an e-mail stating a Fed Ex shipping label had been created and the expected ship date was 4/21 my package never shipped. I e-mailed them yesterday evening and they were quick to respond today. They sent a replacement order and I just got notice the replacement order shipped today. Sorry I had the problem but very responsive customer service.
Old 04-29-17, 09:40 AM
Banned

Man, there's a number of titles I've considered adding to my collection. For some reason, I just can't pull the trigger. But may add all or a couple of these before the sale ends:

Cuba
The Sicilian Clan
Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?
The Hurricane
The Skull
The Man Who Could Cheat Death
Papa's Delicate Condition
Where's Poppa?
Old 05-02-17, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Has anyone seen both the Roan DVD & The Kino blu-ray of Lugosi's Invisible Ghost & if so could you comment on how much of an upgrade it is? (The Roan was quite good).
I have both and recently watched them side-by-side. Most of the first 19 minutes of Kino's release look stunning...about as good any Blu-Ray film from 1941. The rest of the film might be Roan's source (or part of that lineage), but a fresh transfer where the worst blemish is usually just some light vertical scratches. It lacks the same detail and realistic facial tones, but is still respectable for a 75+ year-old poverty row film. The excellent footage resurfaces for about 3 minutes near the end, and it's depressing to think how much additional footage must have become unusable. Short of some additional digital cleanup, it likely will never look better. The only kudos for Roan is that they recreated the original Monogram title and end cards for the Astor source print, and included the trailer. Kino included several trailers but oddly not the one for Ghost.

Oh, and Tom Weaver's commentary is quite good, as is always the case.

Last edited by thetao; 05-02-17 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-02-17, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got a few items in this sale:

Something Big $9.99
The Scar $11.98
ZPG $11.98
The Captive City $9.98
Cuba $11.98
Finders Keepers $9.98
Framed $11.98
Cabo Blanco $6.98 (DVD)
The Bitch $6.98 (DVD)
The Stud $6.98 (DVD)
Phantom From 10,000 Leagues $9.98
The Skull $11.98
The Man Who Could Cheat Death $11.98
The Hurricane $9.98
Invisible Ghost $11.98
Sunset in the West (1950)
Old 05-03-17, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still on the fence on this one. My #5 would either be Chamber of Horrors or The Captive City (neither of which I've seen). Any opinions?
Old 05-04-17, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How long is it typically taking most of you to receive your orders? My order with their last sale took about three weeks to get to me.
Old 05-04-17, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jon2
How long is it typically taking most of you to receive your orders? My order with their last sale took about three weeks to get to me.
Placed an order 4/21. No word of anything yet
1. Called 5/1 - lady said it should have been shipped long time ago (her words) and then she says 'ok, there was 1 item that was backordered. we now have it, so it should ship today'. I ask if there's an email of shipment that will be sent, she says 'yes'. No email of shipment as the day ends
2. Called 5/2 - guy says he has no idea why order has not shipped although it was in approved status. he says he will get in touch with the warehouse and send me an email. none comes my way
3. Called today 5/3 - guy puts me on hold, calls warehouse, comes back on and says 'warehouse says my order was taken care of on 5/2' (his exact words). I ask what do you mean taken care of - are you telling me it was shipped ? Guy says once again 'yeah thats what I presume when they say it was taken care of'. I say 'well thats good to know, can I have a tracking number ?' guy puts me on hold again, comes back after a few mins and says warehouse will send me an email of shipment. I ask why he can't get the same when on the phone with them - he says once again 'warehouse says they will send you one and am sorry there's nothing else I can do'. I tell him 'this is the customer service number - where else will I go if I need help with status of a shipment of an order that's been 13 days since order placement ?' Complete silence from the other side.

I kid you not, this shitshow wasn't what I signed up for with my $275 order. I hung up in frustration and will call again tomorrow - guess why ? cos I STILL don't have a f'n tracking number or email !!!
Old 05-04-17, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still on the fence on this one. My #5 would either be Chamber of Horrors or The Captive City (neither of which I've seen). Any opinions?
Captive City is terrific! I don't own the Blu-Ray yet, but it runs on the digital broadcast sub-channels here often enough and I've seen it a couple times. It's a Robert Wise film. Even if the plot is a little pedestrian, the whole film was shot on location and I get a kick simply from his compositions. Nearly every shot is a little work of art.

I wonder if somebody involved with Invasion of the Body Snatchers a few years later didn't see this film and incorporate its framing device...?
Old 05-04-17, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jon2
Mine was placed April 24. The order summary still says "Now Processing", but Fedex and USPS tracking numbers are present. No activity on either, of course, but the Fedex one does claim that a label has been created, whatever that means.

Looks like I may be making a phone call of my own soon enough . . .
Old 05-04-17, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I ordered around 20 titles on 4/23 and have not heard anything since.
Old 05-04-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by thetao
Captive City is terrific! I don't own the Blu-Ray yet, but it runs on the digital broadcast sub-channels here often enough and I've seen it a couple times. It's a Robert Wise film. Even if the plot is a little pedestrian, the whole film was shot on location and I get a kick simply from his compositions. Nearly every shot is a little work of art.

I wonder if somebody involved with Invasion of the Body Snatchers a few years later didn't see this film and incorporate its framing device...?
Thanks for the great & helpful comparison. I am getting a bit nervous re: all the comments about SLOW shipping & bad cs. I've felt for a long time that Kino was a much better company before the merger with Lorber. QC on transfer quality has also gone way down hill.
Old 05-04-17, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Called them tonight and was told my order was indeed en route. Apparently the rep saw more detail when she clicked the FedEx tracking number than I do when I click it. Guess we'll see when I visit my mailbox next weekend.
Old 05-04-17, 10:19 PM

Finally, a tracking number - after 13 days !!!
Old 05-05-17, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone received their order yet?
Old 05-05-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone received their order yet?
Not yet, but I just checked my order's status in a link in my order confirmation email. It's marked as arrived at a local USPS station. Should be in my mailbox today or tomorrow. Monday at the latest. I hope.

Never did get an email confirming shipping.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.