Reload this Page >

Marvel Returns to Original Numbering.....yet again

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 04-23-17, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Looks like Marvel is going back to the original numbering on their "legacy" again in the next few monts. I think they've done this at least twice in the past. I wonder how long it will last this time.

http://www.newsarama.com/34197-marve...ck-extras.html
Old 04-23-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts
Re: Marvel Returns to Original Numbering.....yet again

Ugh. So what milestone issue are they reverting this back for? Or is this just so they can continue FF numbering after being gone for so long.
Old 04-23-17, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

The first time they attempted this, their hearts were in the right places.

Anything after that was bullshit.
Old 04-24-17, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Ugh. So what milestone issue are they reverting this back for?
To make money again.
Old 04-24-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
To make money again.
I'm not sure how his makes money? Who jumps back on because of numbering, considering even completionists should be mad because their collection becomes unmanageable?
Old 04-24-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

considering even completionists should be mad because their collection becomes unmanageable?
That ship sailed two decades ago.

Back then, numbering made sense.

Then everything became a bunch of miniseries, one-shots, renumberings, re-namings, A+X, multiple versions of the same character, lines expanded and diluted, characters killed and replaced and resurrected...
Old 04-24-17, 12:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It was hilarious when Marvel did the "All New" thing 2 years ago and renumbered all the titles and they all have 3 digits on the covers.

I thought that none of them would ever hit issue 100. They would be renumbered again before that happens. Looks like I was right.
Old 04-24-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I think what's more important, to me, is Marvel's focus on returning to 'legacy' characters. If what Marvel is really saying is that after hundreds of issues the continuity is valuable then sign me up but I'm not convinced yet. It's not just issue numbering - they've been treating the characters like a revolving series of reboots, mini-series, or limited scope events far too long.

That is assuming Marvel hasn't already damaged themselves by morphing every character into some other background/gender/ethnicity/etc than was originally the case. Stuff like insisting Captain America is a nazi spy then turning around and celebrating that there were 700+ issues of traditional Cap seems lame. That Wolverine ~#500 might not even contain the original character of Wolverine at all but one of at least three alternate Wolverines hardly seems like Wolverine at all even if some of the derivative characters are kind of cool.

I disagree with Marvel's recent announcement that 'diversity' of characters doesn't improve sales. Marvel is missing is that you also need a core continuity for diverse characters to exist in - not an ever shifting sea of linewide shake-up events so fingers crossed we see more respect for continuity, whatever exists of it anymore.
Old 04-24-17, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The numeric meant something at one point, but now they've renumbered so may times that they'll be huge gaps of missing issue numbers when they bring back the original numeric system. I think they didn't even get the numbers correct when the renumbered Thor last time. I think at one point they brought back Journey into Mystery continuing with Thor's old numbers, but after that was cancelled and Thor came back they ignored JIM 's numbers and repeated those same numerous with the Thor title
Old 04-24-17, 01:37 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

When do they reveal the past 5-10 years of Marvel Comics actually occurred in a pocket universe created by Franklin Richards?
Old 04-24-17, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
When do they reveal the past 5-10 years of Marvel Comics actually occurred in a pocket universe created by Franklin Richards?
That might get me to check Marvel out again. Though I'm not sure Spider-Man or some of the others are ever fully recovering without a complete reboot. Too much has happened to the DNA of these characters over the past decade.
Old 04-24-17, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd love to see them find a way to reboot the X-men back to the Carey/Fraction/Brubaker era status quo and start again from there.
Old 04-24-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Jesus. Marvel just needs to let their characters and titles breathe for awhile. Like a year or two. I haven't read a Marvel comic in years, mostly because I wouldn't even know where to jump in, given their ever-lasting BIG! COSMIC! THIS! CHANGES! EVERYTHING! STATUS! QUO! DISRUPTION!! series, miniseries, crossovers, etc.
Old 04-24-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can't on one hand ask that continuity be strictly adhered to and then on the other hand want to throw away the past 5 years of stories. What people really want is a return to the continuity they liked, be it Claremont's Uncanny X-Men, married Spidey, whatever. And then you're always going to have someone displeased. It's the cost of business when you're letting hundreds of creators have their own interpretation of the characters and then expecting that all to gel in perpetuity.

What Marvel had been doing that I think worked was getting specific creators to work on different characters longish term, with nods to continuity but otherwise giving them some measure of free reign. Brubaker's Captain America is probably a far cry from the Simon/Kirby original, but it was entertaining and became definitive. Annihilation did this with the cosmic universe, taking relatively obscure characters and remaking them as the creators saw fit while giving nods to the past. Hickman on FF and then Avengers, Brubaker, Waid, and countless others on Daredevil. Heck even Bendis on New Avengers, where Luke Cage was completely remade into an A list Avenger.

But then Image comics and creator owned stuff came knocking, and why give your best ideas as a contractor when you can save it for something you fully own, and which won't be rewritten in five years? And the rotating artists and constant events to drum up flagging sales, then super late events that muck with the entire schedule. Constant reboots to chase sales for new number ones. Mandates from the parent company to neuter properties like FF and anything mutant. It wouldn't be so bad if they had some kind of strategy, like renumbering every year or something, but who the heck can keep track with the current environment?
Old 04-24-17, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I'm not sure how his makes money? Who jumps back on because of numbering, considering even completionists should be mad because their collection becomes unmanageable?
I was speaking of the bigger topic, Marvel Legacy aka DC Rebirth.

Marvel's sales are in the tank right now, so they are trying to go back to basics.
Old 04-24-17, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Jesus. Marvel just needs to let their characters and titles breathe for awhile. Like a year or two. I haven't read a Marvel comic in years, mostly because I wouldn't even know where to jump in, given their ever-lasting BIG! COSMIC! THIS! CHANGES! EVERYTHING! STATUS! QUO! DISRUPTION!! series, miniseries, crossovers, etc.
I wound up a few months behind leading up to / immediately after getting married and renovating my house. (Needless to say, it was a hectic few months.) I meant to get back into the swing of things once I could catch my breath, but being free of events, crossovers, reboots, and endless creative team changes felt like someone had unlocked a ball and chain I'd had locked to my foot for years on end. I know I could just read books that don't engage in that sort of B.S., and I do pick up TPBs and indie collections every once in a great while. It's been a little over two and a half years, and I'm surprised by how little I miss a hobby that had been part of my life for decades.
Old 04-24-17, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I wound up a few months behind leading up to / immediately after getting married and renovating my house. (Needless to say, it was a hectic few months.) I meant to get back into the swing of things once I could catch my breath, but being free of events, crossovers, reboots, and endless creative team changes felt like someone had unlocked a ball and chain I'd had locked to my foot for years on end. I know I could just read books that don't engage in that sort of B.S., and I do pick up TPBs and indie collections every once in a great while. It's been a little over two and a half years, and I'm surprised by how little I miss a hobby that had been part of my life for decades.
That's the trick, once you go cold turkey there's really little reason to go back to monthlies unless you just like throwing away money or are like me, and can't fully break the addiction.
Old 04-24-17, 08:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I thînk the trick is to jettison most Marvel books. Comics are only getting better and better, but most of it is outside the big two.
Old 04-24-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
I thînk the trick is to jettison most Marvel books. Comics are only getting better and better, but most of it is outside the big two.
Even outside of the big 2, though, most things read better in trade form.
Old 04-24-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
This is the main problem with Marvel and DC. Too many cosmic/galactic major storylines that affect nearly every character or title in their universe. Spider-man works better when his stories are more down to Earth. There is no real reason for him to be fighting for the fate of the galaxy or the universe; and it's the same with a lot of other characters. I mean can't they just do simple stories anymore that readers could connect with? I would love to see them do stories like the suicide issue of New Mutants #45. That was one simple, single issue storyline that people will fondly remember today.
Old 04-24-17, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I agree. Marvel and DC pretty much rehash their storylines now with just slight twists to what has been done before. It's highly unlikely they will come up with many, if any, new characters that become household names anymore. No writer or artists will give away their creations to the big two. The only new characters they will get will be alternate versions of pre-existing characters like the Miles Morales Spider-man, War Machine, etc.

Image on the other hand gets a lot of new material, and is more innovative and groundbreaking than Marvel or Dc will ever do again.
Old 04-25-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

I wouldn't mind if continuity was removed entirely and books just existed to tell great stories, period. Have characters cross over and exist in a similar universe, but if, say, Captain America was guest starring in Spider-Man, and it was the classic Steve Rogers Cap and not whatever Cap has mutated into lately, I would not mind whatsoever.
Old 04-25-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieguru
This is the main problem with Marvel and DC. Too many cosmic/galactic major storylines that affect nearly every character or title in their universe. Spider-man works better when his stories are more down to Earth. There is no real reason for him to be fighting for the fate of the galaxy or the universe; and it's the same with a lot of other characters. I mean can't they just do simple stories anymore that readers could connect with? I would love to see them do stories like the suicide issue of New Mutants #45. That was one simple, single issue storyline that people will fondly remember today.
They actually do have a decently diverse (superhero) lineup if you think about it. The problem is that nobody buys the books which aren't involved in the huge crossover of the month, so they get cancelled. I'm not saying that's the only problem but comic buyers are a factor as well.

If you create a grounded Spider-man book and take it out of continuity (like an untold tales of Spider-Man) it's just not going to sell the same, unless you have a lot of buzz and a list creators doing their best work.

It's like when DC You launched with all these very different comics and there was like a collective shrug.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-25-17 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-25-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I still love continuity but have no problem selectively obliterating certain runs contrary to the fundamental essence of a character. The problem is that Marvel decided about a decade ago that they would go forward with shocking changes to the status quo and claim it's all real in the main continuity, thus undermining the idea of continuity itself.

Most people believe they will have to retcon or reboot after this Hydra Captain America nonsense.
Old 04-25-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by BGPu
It was hilarious when Marvel did the "All New" thing 2 years ago and renumbered all the titles and they all have 3 digits on the covers.

I thought that none of them would ever hit issue 100. They would be renumbered again before that happens. Looks like I was right.
Interesting. I never noticed this. Now that I check, I see some titles do use the three digit numbering and some do not. As I mentioned in another thread on the forum, I assumed that the titles that dont use three digits (Starlord, Kingpin, etc) were mini series and not designed to be ongoing books.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.