Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Time after Time (ABC) -- HG Wells/Jack the Ripper Series -- From EP Kevin Williamson

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Time after Time (ABC) -- HG Wells/Jack the Ripper Series -- From EP Kevin Williamson

Old 05-12-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Ordered to Series today by ABC for next season

http://deadline.com/2016/05/time-aft...ma-1201754841/

Based on the novel by Karl Alexander and movie, Time After Time delivers a fantastical cat and mouse adventure through time when famed science fiction writer H.G. Wells is transported to modern day Manhattan in pursuit of Jack the Ripper. Once H.G. arrives in New York City, he finds a world he never thought possible and a young woman who captivates him. Williamson (The Vampire Diaries) is exec producer and writer.

The series stars Freddie Stroma as H.G. Wells, Revenge alum Josh Bowman as John Stevenson/Jack the Ripper, Genesis Rodriguez as Jane and Regina Taylor as Vanessa Anders. Time After Time is from Outerbanks Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. Television Williamson and Marcos Siega are executive producers. Siega directed the pilot. Williamson wrote the teleplay.

Here's the 1st teaser:

Expect a full trailer next week after ABC's upfronts.
Old 05-12-16, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: Time after Time (ABC) -- HG Wells/Jack the Ripper Series -- From EP Kevin William

Is this based on a book and/or the old movie? I've never seen it, but from what I know the premise sounds the same.
Old 05-12-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Time after Time (ABC) -- HG Wells/Jack the Ripper Series -- From EP Kevin William

Originally Posted by Superman07
Is this based on a book and/or the old movie? I've never seen it, but from what I know the premise sounds the same.

^^^See above. I posted the summary in post #1
Old 05-12-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Love the movie to death. Could make for an interesting series.
Old 05-12-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Seems like something I would be interested in. I'll check it out.
Old 05-12-16, 10:16 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Does this mean the movie will finally come out on Blu-Ray?
Old 05-12-16, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I love the concept, I don't love the network. ABC will strongly shape this to fit their mold. This would have been better on Fox or NBC.
Old 05-12-16, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I just don't see a Jack the Ripper story being interesting on ABC of all networks. They won't really go 'there'.

I enjoyed the Jack the Ripper movie that Johnny Depp was in quite a bit though.
Old 05-13-16, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Loved the movie. I'll probably check this out but I'm not going in with high expectations.
Old 05-13-16, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, I love the movie!

They should get Mary Steenburgen to do a cameo since she is on TV now (Last Man on Earth)).
Old 05-17-16, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

1st full trailer

Old 05-17-16, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

yeah this will disappear much like Forever did.
Old 05-17-16, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 228 Likes on 133 Posts

The original film was really good (if very, very 70s), but I don't see the point of a tv remake. Is it going to be another one of those "oh, he almost got him..." week after week things? I'll give it a shot, but I'm skeptical.
Old 05-18-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I'll watch this, but I don't know if there's enough material there for a series. I highly recommend the original movie, though. Malcolm McDowell & David Warner, how could you go wrong? I remember seeing it first run in the theater when I was 12 or 13. I've seen it several times since. Great chemistry between Steenbergen and McDowell, which I think continued offscreen.
Old 05-18-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe this can get us the Meyer film on BD ?
Old 02-16-17, 02:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Time After Time (ABC) March 5th Premiere - Based on the 1979 movie

Man, scraping bottom here. I love the movie, but no need for this.

Time After Time
Series Premiere MARCH 5 9|8c

Infamous killer Jack the Ripper has escaped through time to modern day Manhattan and it's up to famed science fiction writer H.G. Wells to catch him before it's too late. Get a first look now at ABC's thrilling new action-adventure series, Time After Time!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rp6KWn48ufc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-16-17, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Time After Time (ABC) March 5th Premiere - Based on the 1979 movie

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/634...illiamson.html
Old 03-05-17, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Time after Time (S1E01/02) -- 2 Hour Premiere -- "Pilot / I Will Catch You" -- 3/5/17

windows screen capture

SERIES PREMIERE

SUSPENSEFUL NEW DRAMA 'TIME AFTER TIME' DEUBTS WITH A SPECIAL TWO-HOUR PREMIERE, SUNDAY, MARCH 5, ON ABC

"Pilot" - Using the 1979 novel and movie as a launching point, "Time After Time" chronicles the adventures of a young H.G. Wells, as he travels through centuries, decades and days in the time machine he created. In the pursuit of the charismatic (yet secretly psychopathic) Dr. John Stevenson, better known as "Jack the Ripper," Wells arrives in modern day New York City, searching for Stevenson after the doctor escapes authorities in Wells' London home. But instead of the Utopia he imagined, Wells finds a world more aligned with Stevenson's temperament in a series charged with danger and adventure, and centered in thrills, satire, humor - and most of all, an epic love story, SUNDAY, MARCH 5 (9:00-10:00 p.m. EST), on the ABC Television Network.

"I Will Catch You" - Presented with the real possibility that Vanessa Anders is in fact Wells' great granddaughter, H.G. and Jane continue to search for Dr. John Stevenson, but when their final face-to-face meeting goes anything but planned, the doctor is back on the loose, on "Time After Time," SUNDAY, MARCH 5 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EST), on the ABC Television Network.

"Time After Time" stars Freddie Stroma as H.G. Wells, Josh Bowman as Dr. John Stevenson (Jack the Ripper), Genesis Rodriguez as Jane Walker, Nicole Ari Parker as Vanessa Anders, Will Chase as Griffin and Jennifer Ferrin as Brooke.

"Pilot" teleplay by Nicholas Meyer, story by Karl Alexander & Steve Hayes. "I Will Catch You" was written by Kevin Williamson. Marcos Siega is the director of "Pilot" and "I Will Catch You."

"Time After Time" is from Warner Bros Television. Kevin Williamson is executive producer. Marcos Siega is executive producer and a director.

13 episode 1st season

This is from Kevin Williamson, the creator of The Vampire Diaries and The Following.

Yes, it's another time travel series. This is loosely based on the movie and book.

Freddie Stroma, who plays HG Wells, was most recently on UnReal. Stromma is married to Johanna Braddy from Quantico. Josh Bowman, who plays Jack the Ripper, was most recently on Revenge.

Trailer:

Old 03-05-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: Time after Time (S1E01/02) -- 2 Hour Premiere -- "Pilot / I Will Catch You" -- 3/

I liked the movie enough that if they had cast this better I might have been interested.
Old 03-06-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Time after Time (S1E01/02) -- 2 Hour Premiere -- "Pilot / I Will Catch You" -- 3/

I thought it was pretty good. It was a breezy 2 hours, but it was really more of a fish out of water suspense story

The promo for future weeks did seem to hint of more time travel. I can see some not really liking Stroma and Bowman as HG and Jack the Ripper. They were obviously cast to appeal to female viewers. I did like Genesis Rodriguez as HG's sidekick and potential love interest.

I would like to know a little more about Vanessa and who the heck that guy was at the end. Will Chase's role as her husband seems like a pretty thankless part considering he had a major role in Nashville.

Unfortunately, ABC put this in an awful timeslot and it's probably going to get buried in the glut of Sunday shows.
Old 03-06-17, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually watched the movie this weekend (I own it) on a whim. I totally forgot about this coming to television, but I am watching it on Hulu. Has anyone watched this?
Old 03-07-17, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I liked the movie enough that if they had cast this better I might have been interested.
I couldn't agree more, this show is straight out of ABC's playbook. Two of the three lead stars aren't great fits. It's middle-of-the-road entertainment that I think was designed to replace the female-skewing Once Upon A Time when that show ends.

H.G. Wells comes off as the standard effeminate, non-threatening male lead that ABC loves so much. The female lead did very little for me. She feels like an actress that should be playing a secondary character instead of the romantic lead. If anyone should have been cast for that role, it should have been H.G. Wells' great-granddaughter.

Of course ABC would turn Jack the Ripper into a sexy, roguish character. They even tried throwing in a few lines possibly foreshadowing a shot at his redemption.
Old 03-07-17, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I thought it was pretty good. It was a breezy 2 hours, but it was really more of a fish out of water suspense story

The promo for future weeks did seem to hint of more time travel. I can see some not really liking Stroma and Bowman as HG and Jack the Ripper. They were obviously cast to appeal to female viewers. I did like Genesis Rodriguez as HG's sidekick and potential love interest.

I would like to know a little more about Vanessa and who the heck that guy was at the end. Will Chase's role as her husband seems like a pretty thankless part considering he had a major role in Nashville.

Unfortunately, ABC put this in an awful timeslot and it's probably going to get buried in the glut of Sunday shows.
Remember when ABC ruled Sundays with Desperate Housewives? This was pretty good but I could see Jack almost caught every episode being very repetitive. It premiered to the lowest ratings ever for a drama in season so I doubt it will be coming back.
Old 03-07-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomgirl
I actually watched the movie this weekend (I own it) on a whim. I totally forgot about this coming to television, but I am watching it on Hulu. Has anyone watched this?
I'm a big fan of the movie. I realize this isn't that, and I thought it was a pretty good adaptation overall. The lead actress was pretty bad, though, and there was no chemistry between her and HG Wells. It kind of lost my attention in the middle of hour two and I don't know if I can watch "Jack" slip out the back door every week at the last minute just before being captured. I'll probably give it another episode or two.
Old 03-07-17, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm
yeah this will disappear much like Forever did.
As Timeless will soon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.