Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Love (Netflix) -- S: Gillian Jacobs, Paul Rust, C: Apatow, Rust, Arfin

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-18-16, 07:55 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Created, written and executive produced by Judd Apatow, Paul Rust and Lesley Arfin, Love follows nice guy Gus (Rust) and brazen wild-child Mickey (Gillian Jacobs) as they navigate the exhilarations and humiliations of intimacy, commitment, love and other things they were hoping to avoid. Love is an unflinching, hilarious and excruciatingly honest take on modern relationships. Brent Forrester and Dean Holland also serve as executive producers of Love.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Gillian Jacobs as Mickey
· Paul Rust as Gus

CREW INFORMATION:
· Brent Forrester as EP
· Judd Apatow as CRTR/EP
· Lesley Arfin as CRTR/EP
· Paul Rust as CRTR/EP

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ym3LoSj9Xj8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
All first season episodes are released 2/19/16 3:01 AM EST

10 episodes in 2016 and 12 in 2017.
Old 02-18-16, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Love (Netflix) -- S: Gillian Jacobs, Paul Rust, C: Apatow

This got an solid review over on AV Club, scoring it an A- for season 1.
Old 02-18-16, 10:21 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there any Gillian Jacobs nudity in this? Will only watch if there is.
Old 02-18-16, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm just glad Netflix stopped blasting the trailer for this by default immediately after logging in. After a week of that I hate this show and I don't know anything about it
Old 02-19-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

My NF doesn't do that.
Old 02-19-16, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I didn't like first episode that much but I watched all the rest and really enjoyed the show.
Old 02-20-16, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Looks good.
Old 02-22-16, 07:10 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

I watched this over the weekend. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I didn't laugh very often, but I still continued to watch. The approach to showing the "in between" moments of a new relationship is interesting. Paul Rust really got on my nerves some times. The Australian roommate bugged me too. But Gillian Jacobs is terrific.

I would watch the second season when it comes out.
Old 02-22-16, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I found the show to be enjoyable and would watch a second season. I really have two issues. One, the show peaks with it's actual laugh out loud humor in the second episode. Two, the Gillian Jacobs character.....she's a neurotic mess and is very unlikable for about the first 3/4's of the season. Since most guys have dealt with that in some way, shape or form I have a feeling that's going to be an instant turn off for alot of viewers. And when you take that into account its hard to see why Paul Rust's character is so enamored with her. Other than those two things I had a fun time binge watching it.
Old 02-22-16, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watched the first 3 episodes over the weekend and I'm enjoying it a lot. Thumbs up so far.
Old 02-22-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched it, didn't love it... not even sure I liked it, but somehow I watched the whole thing. Gillian Jacob's character is just an awful person though, and definitely made it hard to watch at times.
Old 02-24-16, 01:45 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Just binge-watched it today. Great little show. Sure it's not flawless, and some of the characters make stupid decisions. I liked Mickey despite how completely flawed she is. And Gus isn't perfect either, but I thought the show flowed fairly naturally as far as showcasing the unfolding of a relationship. I'm looking forward to season 2.
Old 02-24-16, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

I thought it was ok.

The Mickey character is definitely a mess and is way too self-centred.
Gus annoyed me a lot. He's a nice enough guy, but he keeps saying stupid things. I get that he's a nerd and probably hasn't mastered social/people skills - but he seems much too clueless for someone who's not a moron.

I get that Mickey wanted to be with a regular guy, but she went too far the other way. It's not like there aren't any decent guys around who aren't nerds.

And Gus living with his hot ex-girlfriend for years, being in a relationship with Mickey and Heidi - just not believable. Never mind that he almost had a threesome with 2 decent chicks. Unless he's rich and famous - that's not happening.

Probably not a coincidence that John Slattery directed a couple episodes, and 4 actors from Mad Men had small roles in it.
Old 02-25-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5 episodes in and I really like it so far.
Old 02-26-16, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't know what to expect, but I'm enjoying it, although I can't really put my finger on why. Mickey and Gus annoy me.
Old 02-26-16, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Didn't know what to expect, but I'm enjoying it, although I can't really put my finger on why. Mickey and Gus annoy me.
Sometimes you can't explain why something is enjoyable. I don't like Lena Dunham at all, but I enjoyed the first season of Girls for some reason.
Old 02-26-16, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

This wasn't on my radar, but Judd aptow was in Conan and they played a clip. The part where she is looking for her cat and putting up fliers. Looks hilarious. I will check it out tonight.
Old 02-27-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

That date episode with Gus and Bertie went from awkward as hell to hilarious.

I was like that guy on set reminds me of Chris Rock. No wonder. It is his brother.

Last edited by Deftones; 02-27-16 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-27-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Although I don't like Gus and Mickey, I really like Bertie.

After watching the first 5 episodes, I was going to post how much Gus reminds me of Andy Dick's Matthew in Newsradio (possibly my favorite show ever, definitely top 5). Then in episode 6, who shows up but Andy Dick.

According to the Netflix ratings I see, this series only got 2 stars out of 5. It definitely should be more highly rated based on what I've seen.
Old 02-29-16, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm into episode 8 and not sure I'll finish. Gus gets more annoying the more I watch and there's a lot of things that happen that make me roll my eyes. It's not terrible, but maybe just not my thing.
Old 02-29-16, 02:38 AM

I bailed after episode 4 after not laughing a single time. I don't think I even cracked a smile. I didn't like Gus, and Mickey wasn't much better.
Old 02-29-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Completed the series. Overall, I'd recommend it, but mildly. Definitely not for everyone. I'll spoiler, just in case:

Spoiler:

I don't really believe that Mickey is an addict, at least the way she was written. It wasn't like she was jonesing for alcohol, drugs, sex, etc, it was more she did it out of boredom. She was self destructive for sure, but didn't really believe she had an addictive personality.

Also, when she finally has her (latest) cathartic moment about getting her life together, taking time away from men, etc, Gus kisses her and now she crumbles? So much for catching up with each other in a year. Of course, we don't know what happened after that kiss, but if it doesn't come back (I have no idea if it will), my assumption was they get back together, even though they both know that they are each is completely wrong for each other. But hey, it happens in real life anyway...

Edit: one quick google search tells me the show was originally picked up for two seasons, so it is coming back.

Old 02-29-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished it. It's not a show where you'll laugh out loud because the characters are walking parodies of people (like New Girl or Modern Family) but you'll end up smiling because these are characters that remind you of real people you know.

This movie was more Funny People and This is 40 then it was 40 Year Old Virgin and Pineapple Express .
Old 02-29-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
I'll spoiler, just in case:

Spoiler:

I don't really believe that Mickey is an addict, at least the way she was written. It wasn't like she was jonesing for alcohol, drugs, sex, etc, it was more she did it out of boredom. She was self destructive for sure, but didn't really believe she had an addictive personality.

Also, when she finally has her (latest) cathartic moment about getting her life together, taking time away from men, etc, Gus kisses her and now she crumbles? So much for catching up with each other in a year. Of course, we don't know what happened after that kiss, but if it doesn't come back (I have no idea if it will), my assumption was they get back together, even though they both know that they are each is completely wrong for each other. But hey, it happens in real life anyway...

Edit: one quick google search tells me the show was originally picked up for two seasons, so it is coming back.
Spoiler:
I agree about the addiction stuff. She didn't come across as an addict at all.

I also agree about the ending kiss - she knows she has to be alone for a while, but then they shoved a "happy ending" in our faces and all of a sudden she doesn't need to be alone? However, the one thing that can happen for Season 2 is that they decide to just be friends - this way she's alone (romantically), but they keep the two characters around for the continued story. Not sure what route they'll take.
Old 03-01-16, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Ah, so they continue the "will they.....? oh, just missed chance or someone gets cold feet" sort of mentality through the whole thing?

I'm only at episode 6 and I was already getting tired of how much blue balls this show had going on. Then even more annoying when Gus was getting all these other opportunities to meet/get to know other women while holding out for Mickey.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.