Reload this Page >

6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-19-17, 03:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge Discussion Thread March 2017

Dates: Sunset on February 28th to sunrise on April 1st.

We have only one overlapping Challenges this year, so plan those hours accordingly if you wish "double credit". What you watch from dusk on March 30th to dawn on April 1st could also count for the annual April B-Movie/Exploitation Challenge.

Rules: Sorta like all the other Challenges but as lenient as you can imagine. Everything counts as one: film, TV episode, short, trailer, DVD featurette, etc. Unofficial goal of hitting 100, but don't ignore real life to hit it. Everyone who shows up in either thread is an equal "winner". Anything listed on IMDB with a genre of action, adventure, crime, or mystery (or anything that even vaguely could be argued as should be listed as such) counts.

----->List Thread Link<-----

Checklist is still open for discussion, and will be in post #2 for easier editing and cut and pasting.

Prizes: Don't expect frills in the most boringly run Challenge of the year.

This is the discussion thread. Discuss.

Last edited by Trevor; 02-19-17 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 03:40 PM

Re: 6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

Watch items from at least 7 of the 13 decades of film history.
--- 1880 - (insert item title here)
--- 1890 -
--- 1900 -
--- 1910 -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Watch items on at least 3 different formats (DVD, BD, HD-DVD, VHS, TV, streaming, theatrical, LD, live, etc.)
--- Format 1 - (insert item title here)
--- Format 2 -
--- Format 3 -

Watch items originating from at least 3 different countries outside of your own.
--- Country 1 - (insert item title here)
--- Country 2 -
--- Country 3 -
n/a my country -

Watch items with at least 6 different ratings.
--- Pre Codes - (insert item title here)
--- Hays approved -
--- Hays unapproved -
--- G -
--- GP -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- M -
--- R -
--- X -
--- NC-17 -
--- Unrated Post-codes -
--- TV Y -
--- TV Y7 -
--- TV G -
--- TV PG -
--- TV 14 -
--- TV MA -

Watch an item from at least 7 of the following subgenres.
--- Film Noir - (insert item title here)
--- Mystery
--- Urban cop thriller
--- Modern Caper/heist
--- Depression-era crime (Dillinger, Bonnie & Clyde, etc.)
--- Globe-trotting adventure (Americans overseas)
--- Treasure hunt adventure
--- Swordplay
--- Jungle movie (including Tarzan)
--- Hong Kong crime
--- Japanese Yakuza
--- Italian Crime
--- Conspiracy thriller
--- Spy/Espionage
--- Serial Killer
--- Space
--- War
--- Robots
--- Vigilante

Watch an item by at least five of these directors.
--- Raoul Walsh - (insert item title here)
--- Howard Hawks
--- John Ford
--- Anthony Mann
--- Don Siegel
--- Robert Aldrich
--- Sam Fuller
--- John Sturges
--- Jean-Pierre Melville
--- Akira Kurosawa
--- Kinji Fukasaku
--- Chang Cheh
--- Sammo Hung
--- Takeshi Kitano
--- John Woo
--- Walter Hill
--- Quentin Tarantino
--- John McTiernan
--- James Cameron
--- John Frankenheimer
--- Siergo Leone
--- Wong Jing
--- Yuen Chor
--- Sam Peckinpah
--- Robert Rodriguez
--- Alfred Hitchcock

Watch an item from at least five of these stars.
--- Errol Flynn - (insert item title here)
--- John Wayne
--- Cynthia Rothrock
--- Claudia Cardinale
--- Humphrey Bogart
--- Burt Lancaster
--- Kirk Douglas
--- Steve McQueen
--- Charles Bronson
--- James Coburn
--- Toshiro Mifune
--- Clint Eastwood
--- Chuck Norris
--- Bruce Lee
--- Jackie Chan
--- Sammo Hung
--- Steven Seagal
--- Henry Silva
--- Jean-Claude Van Damme 
--- Jason Statham
--- Bruce Willis
--- Sonny Chiba
--- Arnold Schwarzenegger
--- Sylvester Stallone
--- Samuel Jackson
--- Milla Jovovich
--- Harrison Ford
--- Denzel Washington
--- Jet Li
--- Michelle Rodriguez
--- Pam Grier
--- Jimmy Wang Yu
--- Tom Cruise

Complete at least seven of these categories.
--- a Bond film or spoof - (insert item title here)
--- MST3K or similar riff -
--- won an Academy Award -- any category -
--- won a Razzie -- any category -
--- silent film -
--- a crime or mystery item -
--- a film and it's sequel -
--- a film and it's remake (examples)
--- an item with a commentary or riff
--- a special feature -
--- something animated -
--- a trailer -
--- watch a sentai or tokusatsu item -
--- something with a major holiday theme -
--- a Criterion release -
--- (insert own category, be humorous) -

Last edited by Trevor; 02-27-17 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-19-17, 03:52 PM

Re: 6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

Sorry about the late start everyone. Actually planned to either give this one away this year or make some changes, but completely lost track of time. How is February so close to over already!
Old 02-19-17, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Sorry about the late start everyone. Actually planned to either give this one away this year or make some changes, but completely lost track of time. How is February so close to over already!
No worries, Trevor. Happens to everyone. I'm looking forward to this one, and have already got some purchases made for it.
Old 02-20-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know if I'll get to it next month, as I'm still in Season 2, Part 1, of The Transformers, but I upgraded my copy of Transformers The Movie to the 30th Anniversary Blu Ray, and it came Saturday, along with my copy of Godzilla The Complete Animated Series. I've heard good things about that show. I expect tomorrow I'll receive my copy of GI Joe: The Movie, and my replacement copy of Season 1.3.
Old 02-20-17, 01:19 PM

Godzilla: TAS wasn't bad for ~90s TV; I watched it all recently (last July?).

This year, I think I'll concentrate on mystery and dig out some of my classic film collections like Charlie Chan and The Thin Man.
Old 02-20-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Godzilla: TAS wasn't bad for ~90s TV; I watched it all recently (last July?).

This year, I think I'll concentrate on mystery and dig out some of my classic film collections like Charlie Chan and The Thin Man.
I don't have anything I want to focus on as of yet, so will probably wing it, but can't wait to start. Thinking of a pre challenge myself.
Old 02-20-17, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

Man, I have so many qualifying titles. I'm considering starting with Westerns just to get some knocked off the unopened piles. I already have enough War and Documentary material to completely fill the Historical one so there's no sense in holding a western for that month.
Old 02-23-17, 11:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, February is just flying by but I have been looking forward to this. I got the James Bond Blu-ray set for Christmas so I'll dig into that and a friend loaned me a Fast and Furious set. I haven't seen any of those yet. AND I have a bunch of mysteries and crime dramas, both films and TV. Yeah, I'm ready to go.
Old 02-23-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by omike
Yes, February is just flying by but I have been looking forward to this. I got the James Bond Blu-ray set for Christmas so I'll dig into that and a friend loaned me a Fast and Furious set. I haven't seen any of those yet. AND I have a bunch of mysteries and crime dramas, both films and TV. Yeah, I'm ready to go.
I bought the bundle of the entire Fast and Furious movies on Google Play a few months ago. Looking forward to watching some of them. I had only seen 1, 2, and 4, which I saw in the theater with some Army buddies one Saturday afternoon. I know Amazon Prime has quite a few of the James Bond movies too, and I am considering watching some of them.
Old 02-23-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

The last week or so of the Oscar challenge I try to divert my watching to comedies and dramas that don't qualify for the action challenge.
Old 02-23-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, I've just clinched that'll I'll be seeing all eight Harry Potter movies at the local drive-in during the Challenge and since I've only seen the first 3, I think, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 02-24-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Well, I've just clinched that'll I'll be seeing all eight Harry Potter movies at the local drive-in during the Challenge and since I've only seen the first 3, I think, I'm looking forward to it.
All in one session, I hope.
Old 02-24-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lately, Netflix has screwed up their shipping, and I get my DVDs at different times, but I got my first DVD of the Challenge in the mail today, UFC 167. It has been on my queue for a long time, and I figured this month was the perfect opportunity to knock it off my queue. I was supposed to get Mortal Kombat, but I don't know if it is because it said long wait or what, but I was only sent one disc. I would have thought they just would have sent me the next title in my queue though.
Old 02-24-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
All in one session, I hope.
Nope, spread over 6 days.
Old 02-24-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Three days and counting and I can't wait. Don't know what I'm going to start with though, as since it's one of my favorite genres, I have tons to choose from.
Old 02-24-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Nope, spread over 6 days.
Still fun
Old 02-25-17, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone know how Race To Witch Mountain is? I was sent a free mystery DVD from Disney Movie Rewards, and that was the movie I was sent. I've heard of it, but never actually seen it. I thought I'd watch it next month sometime.

On another note, while The Amazing Race won't start its new season before the Challenge ends, if anyone has Amazon Prime, previous seasons of the show are on Amazon Prime.
Old 02-26-17, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Does anyone know how Race To Witch Mountain is? I was sent a free mystery DVD from Disney Movie Rewards, and that was the movie I was sent. I've heard of it, but never actually seen it. I thought I'd watch it next month sometime..
It's alright. Not the greatest, but I thought it was watchable. I still have a soft spot for the originals though.
Old 02-26-17, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was watching a bowling show on my local MeTV affiliate tonight, and I saw a commercial. On March 1, our MeTV affiliate is becoming Heroes & Icons. I looked at the schedule for that channel, and it looks like it will be a great channel for this Challenge. We also get two fairly new channels that will be good, Grit, and the Justice Network.
Old 02-27-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Without even trying, I've watched some action and adventure TV this morning. Most likely because it is just because that is the kind of TV I normally watch anyways.
Old 02-27-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been watching Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery for a few days. I decided it was time to check out my BR upgrade of Deadwood, which qualifies, and I then decided I needed to finally break out The Fugitive "Most Wanted Edition" set I got a couple of years ago (yes, I have the corrected discs) and watch it.

The Fugitive is a first time viewing for me as during most of the years it originally aired I had a 8:30-9pm bedtime and it came on at 9pm. So far it's been interesting and pretty good. There are annoyances - but they mostly stem from early 60s production techniques.

I have a slate of things lined up and discovered several more over the weekend just looking for something to watch.

I wanted to get in a few more non-qualifying titles before diving in so I start checking some newer purchases. One is a copy of the "Fantastic Films of Ray Harryhausen" BR set (The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958) - The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973) - Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977) - Jason and the Argonauts (1963). Phooey!! All of them count! As I continue to look over what I've purchased recently I find almost all of them will count! Dang it!!! I have a recently purchased copy of the R2 release of Quatermass and the Pit I was considering... yep... qualifies... So I check the Mel Brooks BR set I've not finished watching as those should be OK. The next film up, To Be or Not to Be, is listed only as Comedy - it gets watched, but the last two, Spaceballs and Robin Hood: Men in Tights *do* qualify. OK... I hold off on those two. Every time I'd decide on a film to watch I'd find it qualifies! The amount of genre diversity in this challenge can be rather surprising. I wound up watching Champagne for Caesar (a comedy with Vincent Price, Ronald Coleman, and Art Linkletter - it was quite fun), my new BR of Caddyshack, and gave up looking, switching to more episodes of Deadwood. That's not necessarily bad, but I really wanted to hold off on qualifying titles until tomorrow night. I may give it another shot tonight but I spent a good half hour yesterday to "find" those 3 non-qualifying films.
Old 02-27-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beyond keeping up with The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow and jumping back into A Series of Unfortunate Events, not to mention Iron Fist starts mid-month I haven't been planning or buying to strenuously for the Challenge. Want to watch a couple of episodes of Have Gun Will Travel, since it's been sitting untouched for around six months; picked up blues of Royal Flash (1975), Haywire (2011), Universal Soldier: Regeneration (2009), Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (2012). Also plan on revisiting some titles I haven't watched in years, like Dr. Wai in "The Scriptures with No Words" (1996), Royal Tramp (1992), Royal Tramp 2 (1992). Was hoping to have Yonderland series 3 by now, but if I order it this week, I might get it before the Challenge ends. I'm also feelin' a hankerin' for an episode or two of Ellery Queen Mysteries. No lack of stuff to watch, though I need to be careful about watching anything I could use for the Drive-in/Exploitation Challenge.
Old 02-27-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was browsing Amazon this morning, and found a Pre Order for the Complete Series of Jayce And The Wheeled Warriors, for just over $11, due to come out March 14, so I grabbed it. My second Netflix DVD came today as well, Disc 1 of Doctor Who: The Beginning, William Hartnell Doctor, in the very first Doctor Who story arcs.
Old 02-27-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In my efforts to sort of avoid qualifying titles today I watched The Producers (1967). I still laugh at this one almost as much as when I first saw it in 1968.

I followed it with more episodes from The Fugitive. In one, someone *finally* recognizes Kimball before he leaves town.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.