Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

2017 Edition: How many streaming services/devices do you have?

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio
View Poll Results: How many streaming services do you subscribe and pay for?
1-2
47.06%
3-4
35.29%
5-6
11.76%
7-8
0%
9-10 or more
5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-17, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

There is a lot of streaming TV/content services on the market.

Netflix, Amazon and Hulu are the main 3.

However, there is a bunch of niche content/premium services like Shudder, Filmstruck, SeeSo, Full-Moon, CBS All-Access, Hi-Yah, WWE, Various Professional Sports, Anime, HBO Now, Showtime Anytime, Starz, Britbox, Acorn TV, Comic Con HQ, and the new Boomerang cartoon service. The list goes on and on and more are coming.

How many services do you all subscribe to and pay for? And do you make the most of it? And are you completely tapped out right now from acquiring more because of limited time and money?

This question is for people who actually spend money and not borrow someone's log-on.

I have Netflix Amazon, Hulu and CBS All-Access. I also have Shudder because I enjoy horror movies.

If I were to attempt to subscribe anymore, it would be really pushing it with time and money. I feel like I barely have enough time for the ones I pay for. I have all the premium channels via Directv. So the premiums are already included with my Directv subscription.

Most people think that cable is too expensive, but when you think about it, acquiring all the content that interests you via a paid streaming service could end up being really expensive.

I'm interested in Hi-Yah through Amazon because I like Asian Cinema and martial arts movies, but I don't think I would use it enough. I used the free 7-day trial for Full Moon on Amazon, but ended up not continuing because I wouldn't watch it enough to make the $5/month worth it. But, the monthly cost isn't outrageously expensive.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-15-17 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-15-17, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: How many streaming services do you pay for? Are you tapped out from getting more

Netflix and Amazon. Had the WWE network when it started out, but that grew old quickly and I dumped it.
Old 03-15-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: How many streaming services do you pay for? Are you tapped out from getting more

Netflix and Amazon. Also I subscribe to HBO with DirecTV, so I have HBOGO if that counts.
Old 03-15-17, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only do Amazon Prime and Netflix. Do not have the time or money for anymore.
Old 03-15-17, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazon (through Prime) and Netflix.

I spend most of my time on VUDU with 850+ movies and shows though.

No reason for more (for me) at the moment or near future. Love keeping the bill low every month.
Old 03-15-17, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Amazon, Filmstruck, Hulu, Netflix. I won't be paying for any more. If I find one I like, I might drop Hulu for it.
Old 03-15-17, 09:52 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

I subscribe to the Big 3, although I don't really count Amazon since I get Prime for the free shipping. I also have HBO Go through my cable company, but I'm thinking of canceling until GoT comes back.

My main niche services are Crunchyroll & Funimation (anime) and Shudder (horror). I have annual memberships. And I watch those a lot, so I won't be giving them up anytime soon.

There's a few other services that I occasionally sign-up for a month of binge watching and then cancel. Those are WWE, Feeln, Full Moon, Fandor, Acorn and BritBox.

I also have a subscription to YouTubeRed. I got 4 months free, and it's about to run out. But I'm thinking of keeping it, even though it's $10/month. I watch a lot of YouTube videos. So to have it commercial-free might be worth the price.
Old 03-15-17, 09:56 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveO
I spend most of my time on VUDU with 850+ movies and shows though.
I could probably cancel all the streaming services and just live off my awesome Vudu library. It puts Netflix, Amazon and Hulu to shame.
Old 03-15-17, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon (I have been a Prime member for several years).

I got DirecTV Now this week.

I also have basic cable tv, because the internet was cheaper that way. No HD though, that why I rely on OTA for locals, and now DirecTV Now.

I also pay for Spotify.
Old 03-16-17, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Voted 1-2, Netflix and WWE, but then remembered I have MLBTV to watch the Red Sox out here. So 3.

I have cable with the premium channels, minus EPIX.

Been meaning to do Amazon/Hulu for a while now but have yet to get around to it. Amazon more so than Hulu.
Old 03-16-17, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Netflix, MLB.tv, NHL Gamecenter, Funimation, Amazon Prime member for years

I use my brothers Hulu, WWE.
Old 03-16-17, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 164 Posts

I rotate on and off of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, WWE Network, and HBOGo. Usually one or two at a time, sometimes none. With over 200 unwatched blu rays I'm trying to limit my streaming services until most of those are gone.
Old 03-16-17, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Hulu, Netflix, Prime and HBOGo. I've also got a free trial of SeeSo going at the moment, but probably won't pay for it (unless I forget to cancel).
Old 03-16-17, 07:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I could probably cancel all the streaming services and just live off my awesome Vudu library. It puts Netflix, Amazon and Hulu to shame.
That's probably true for me as well.

I guess I subscribe to three streaming services, but I only consider one to be paid.

I have Prime and enjoy the streaming content there as much as Netflix, but just consider it a free bonus as I'd be Prime for all the other benefits anyway.

I have HBOGo but only because my cable company has me grandfathered into some bizarre package where I'd pay more if I cancelled just the HBO part.

I was going to cancel Netflix a few years ago but stuck with it since they kept me at the cheaper price for awhile and my wife liked it.

I just bought a year of Shudder for ~$35 but only for the free Roku Express.

I'd never pay for Hulu or any other service most likely, and will likely cancel all my current services at some point. As I get older I realize most TV sucks and I'm fine with my discs.
Old 03-16-17, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Technically, I pay for:

Hulu
WWE Network
Amazon Prime

I also sorta pay for HBO GO through my very meager cable subscription. I would willing to do one more perhaps, but it would need to be under $10 and be something totally unique kinda thing.

Truth be told though...if I wasn't married and by myself, I would just have WWE Network and my VUDU Library (and my library upstairs). I would have dropped my meager cable subscription (and keep it internet only) and Hulu a long time ago (those are both for the wife and her family when they visit). Prime would only stay by proxy of course and I do love me some Bosch.
Old 03-16-17, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. I refuse to add any further, I'm not going to play the same game that the cable companies did, forcing you to buy new tiers to get content that should already be available.
Old 03-16-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

I only pay for Netflix. I have a pretty good physical collection and two library systems that has free rentals of DVDs/Blu-rays. There's also free streaming via Vudu, Crackle and TubiTV.
Old 03-16-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I pay for Netflix and get Amazon with Prime. I like some of the Prime content but probably wouldn't pay for it by itself.

I pay for HBO during GOT season and MLB.tv.

I have a lot of stuff on VUDU, but almost all UV redemptions. Then I use Xbox credits for purchases/rentals there.
Old 03-16-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm at about $50/mo with the big 3 + HBO Now. I'll probably add CBS All Access in summer when Big Brother is on. The I supplement with Vudu for the occasional show I can't find on one of these services (i.e. Bates Motel current season).

I'm still well under the price I was paying for DirecTV and not missing any of the content I want.
Old 03-16-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Hulu Live is supposed to launch in the next few months and that is supposed to have some sort of cloud DVR that Directv Now and Sling don't have. I'm curious how that will do.

The current market with just content providers is quite over-saturated. I totally understand why most of you are only willing to pay for a couple at most. At $15/month, HBO Now, although it has quality content, is not cheap.

The Live TV streaming providers like Directv Now, Sling, YouTube and now Hulu Live is getting quite competitive. I can't see how all of these services can survive long-term. There's just not enough time, and disposable income for people to blow on so many services.

The streaming market is slowly turning into the online equivalent of cable with endless options and prices that could get quite expensive.

Fortunately I have a decent enough income where I can afford what I have, but I not every household can pay for TV let alone 3-4-5 different streaming services.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-16-17 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-16-17, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'm a little confused what you mean by this. Vudu I know is buying all your shows and movies a la carte. $5-6 movies and $20-30 for HD TV shows with occasional small discounts. I don't know how that's really advantageous with Netflix and Amazon having original shows and quite a few currently airing shows being posted only a few weeks to a few months after they air. Hell, CW shows are now available only 8 days after the season ends (if you don't follow it week to week)
Old 03-16-17, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm a little confused what you mean by this. Vudu I know is buying all your shows and movies a la carte. $5-6 movies and $20-30 for HD TV shows with occasional small discounts. I don't know how that's really advantageous with Netflix and Amazon having original shows and quite a few currently airing shows being posted only a few weeks to a few months after they air. Hell, CW shows are now available only 8 days after the season ends (if you don't follow it week to week)
Many of us have very large VUDU collections. I could probably watch nothing but my VUDU collection for months if I didn't care about keeping up with new shows.
Old 03-16-17, 05:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

You can get movies for about $2-4 each by buying codes, TV seasons a bit more. Between redeeming my own purchases, buying cheap codes, and the other 4 members of my UV family, I have about 900 movies and over 100 seasons of TV. The few current shows that I occasionally feel like watching I can usually find on the network's own website or somewhere.
Old 03-16-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Trevor
You can get movies for about $2-4 each by buying codes, TV seasons a bit more. Between redeeming my own purchases, buying cheap codes, and the other 4 members of my UV family, I have about 900 movies and over 100 seasons of TV. The few current shows that I occasionally feel like watching I can usually find on the network's own website or somewhere.

But we all know you're a serial hoarder and just like collecting content and never watch it. You'll be 160 before you ever complete watching all those Vudu movies and discs you have.

That's great that you have so much content, now will you ever not buy anything for a month or two and just watch what you have?

I was talking about the average person's usage of Vudu, not the DVD Talk, Blu-Ray.com message boarder who is familiar with buying and selling UV codes.

I'm very familiar with that. If I purchase a disc of a movie I like with a UV code, chances are I will sell it to offset some of the disc cost. I have no need for a duplicate digital copy.

The amount of Vudu/UV content that I actually have is very small. Occasionally I will use it to rent or buy a title on sale. If I can't sell a UV code that comes with a disc, then usually I'll just redeem it on Vudu just to have it.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-16-17 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-16-17, 05:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Netflix, Amazon & Hulu. Would do more if there was something worth it. A TCM app would be perfect. And every year I consider MLB. The in/out market games rules are BS so I usually don't.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.