Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Matrix -- new film in development by WB / Zak Penn

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-14-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

http://deadline.com/2017/03/the-matr...os-1202043516/

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros is trying to see if there is more life in The Matrix beyond the three groundbreaking films written and directed by the Wachowskis. This is all in the exploratory phase and it’s unclear if the Wachowskis, then Andy and Larry but now Lily and Lana Wachowski, or the original cast will be involved, or producer Joel Silver. Right now, I hear the studio is likely to create a writers’ room of scribes to figure out the best possible way to relaunch the franchise.

Why would they do that and take on such a groundbreaking series? The trilogy grossed nearly $1.8 billion worldwide. The 1999 original featured some of the most audacious action ever seen onscreen during its time. That film grossed over $463 million worldwide. The sequel The Matrix Reloaded did even better and grossed $742 million globally for Warner Bros and Village Roadshow Pictures. The finale released later that year in 2003, paled in comparison, but still grossed $427.3 million.

Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne just reteamed in the John Wick sequel and there was a lot of good will there. Stay tuned. Studio isn’t commenting.

Yet another reboot/relaunch news item this evening.
Old 03-14-17, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
re: The Matrix 4 (D: Lana Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss

I still love the Matrix franchise.

I would go for a sequel instead of a remake.
Old 03-14-17, 09:14 PM

Received 4,512 Likes on 3,060 Posts

This has more detail:

More Matrix? Bet on it.

It’s still not clear what shape the project will take, but sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Warner Bros. is in the early stages of developing a relaunch of The Matrix, the iconic 1999 sci-fi movie that is considered one of the most original films in cinematic history, with Zak Penn in talks to write a treatment.

Sources say there is potential interest in Michael B. Jordan to star, but much must be done before the project is ready to go.

At this point, the Wachowski siblings, who wrote and directed the original and its two sequels, are not involved and the nature of their potential engagement with a new version has not been determined. Certainly, Warners would want the two filmmakers to give at minimum a blessing to the nascent project. The studio had no comment.

Joel Silver, who produced the original trilogy, is said to have approached Warners about the idea of mining The Matrix for a potential new film. However, Silver sold his interest in all his movies to the studio in 2012 for about $30 million, according to sources. Warners is said to be leery of including him in any meaningful role, as he not only has a reputation for budget-control issues, but apparently has a strained relationship with the Wachowskis. The siblings hold much more meaning for fans than the producer. Silvers reps did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Written and directed by the Wachowskis when they went by Andy and Larry, the original movie sees humanity living in a simulated reality, unaware that humans are in pods in which their bodies are being harvested for energy. A computer programmer named Neo (Keanu Reeves) slowly becomes aware of this suppressed existence, eventually becoming humanity’s one true hope (Neo = One) to overthrow the oppressors. The pic also starred Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss and Hugo Weaving.

The Matrix was released in a quiet period of the 1999 release calendar — March 31 — and Warner Bros. didn’t have outsized expectations for an action movie with obvious Manga and comic-book influences. But the story and ground-breaking special effects (including the slow-motion "bullet time" effect, which launched dozens of imitators in the years that followed) became the highest grossing R-rated film of 1999 in North America, and the fourth-highest grossing film of the year worldwide. It also won four Academy Awards.

Two sequels, Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, were not as well received, but Reeves’ deal for those films made him one of the richest actors in Hollywood.

While promoting John Wick: Chapter 2, Reeves said he would be open to returning for another installment of the franchise if the Wachowskis were involved. "They would have to write it and direct it. And then we’d see what the story is, but yeah, I dunno, that’d be weird, but why not?” he told Yahoo Movies. However, it is likely that Warners will look elsewhere to attract an A-list director and star.

While some at Warners consider the title among the studio’s sacrosanct properties, such as Casablanca, others see a need to redevelop it in an environment where studios are desperately looking for ways to monetize their libraries and branded IP is hard to come by.

The idea of adapting The Matrix as a television series was nixed in recent months. But Warner Bros. sees a model in what Disney and Lucasfilm have done with Star Wars, exploring the hidden corners of the universe with movies such as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story or the in-production young Han Solo film. Perhaps a young Morpheus movie could come out of the exploration, as an example.

Penn is a writer with deep roots in the geeky genres in which Matrix travels. He created the Syfy network’s super-powered show Alphas and has been involved in comic book movies ranging from the X-Men franchise to The Avengers.

Penn is repped by UTA.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...er-bros-986292
Old 03-14-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

I say keep Lana and Lilly far away from this if WB is serious about a potential relaunch.
Old 03-14-17, 09:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

My god why???
Old 03-14-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Ahh, I loved the Matrix movies back in the day, but I don't know about this.
Old 03-14-17, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So if there is a black Neo, will there be a white Morpheus?
Old 03-14-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

I am in, I am in, I am in ...

... young Morpheus movie ...
I am out, I am out, I am out.

I firmly believe there is plenty of additional material to mine from this universe and I would gladly watch more ... But I am not going to buy in to shit like "The Adventures of Young Morpheus" or "Neo and Trinity's Children Strike Back". Mine the universe, please. But make sure the gene pool is deeper than a bowl of snot.
Old 03-14-17, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I never understood the need to retell the same tales in a badass world either. Keep The Matrix, follow new people.
Old 03-15-17, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

If it was ANIMATRIX 2, I'd be enthused.
Old 03-15-17, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

ehem. Fuck this.
Old 03-15-17, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

You will see this, I will see this... we will all go see this.
Old 03-15-17, 07:23 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go for a sequel instead of a remake.
Me too.
Old 03-15-17, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
ehem. Fuck this.
After being traumatised by the second & third Matrix films, I agree.
Old 03-15-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah I'm all in for a sequel only
Old 03-15-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Honestly I've never seen a Matrix film in full other than Revolutions (I was dragged along by friends). I have the first film on Blu-ray because I found a copy cheap and intended to finally watch it but never have gotten around to it.
Old 03-15-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I'm mildly interested. There's a lot that could be done with the setup, but I don't feel any burning desire to get back to it. I suppose it could be interesting to see how the first few people figured it all out, setting up Zion and whatnot. I see no reason to have "young Morpheus" or whatever, trying to make a direct linkage to the trilogy.
Old 03-15-17, 09:44 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Keanu said recently he'd be willing to do more if The Wachowski ex-brothers were involved. For the life of me I don't know why they won't do a sequel or two of this. A reboot will have nothing new to offer.
Old 03-15-17, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Honestly I've never seen a Matrix film in full other than Revolutions (I was dragged along by friends). I have the first film on Blu-ray because I found a copy cheap and intended to finally watch it but never have gotten around to it.
The first two are mostly solid action/adventure/sci-fi movies. Revolutions is just garbage.

The second movie could have been a great 90 minute movie, but it's a heavily, heavily padded flick.

The first movie has aged a little strangely, as the posturing is far more obvious and it comes off more like a leather fetish flick in many instances. It still tells a pretty solid story and the effects mostly hold up, I always had issues with the movies pacing but overall it's a solid movie still.
Old 03-15-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
No wonder, they had to be watched in order. Its like watching "Return of the Jedi" before "New Hope" and "Empire", the sense of misery, discovery and imminent confrontation is lost and you just have Teddy Bears fighting robots.

Your friends suck!
Old 03-15-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem with an idea like this is the studio is clearly thinking "Hey, remember how much people loved that first Matrix movie? Now that some time has passed, let's try to recapture that magic!"

But you can't. The Matrix was a phenomenon because it felt original and fresh, something no sequel/reboot/remake/etc can be. It simply can't. Period.

WB should be investing in more original ideas instead of trotting out a beaten horse and dressing it differently.
Old 03-15-17, 11:13 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

I'd be more against a reboot if parts 2 and 3 didn't suck shit. Bring it.
Old 03-15-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
No wonder, they had to be watched in order. Its like watching "Return of the Jedi" before "New Hope" and "Empire", the sense of misery, discovery and imminent confrontation is lost and you just have Teddy Bears fighting robots.

Your friends suck!
I knew that going in. I'm sure I just didn't have anything else to do and decided to tag along. I had seen parts of the other two films just not in full.
Old 03-15-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This just shows you how much confidence WB has in their so called DCEU.

That said, I don't think you can capture the same lightning-in-a-bottle that was the first movie nowadays.
Old 03-15-17, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I never understood the need to retell the same tales in a badass world either. Keep The Matrix, follow new people.
This. Did they not establish that Neo wasn't the One?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.