Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Are Currentl Production WAC Blu-ray's Burned or Pressed?

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 03-03-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

The site states Made On Demand; but that hasn't always been true. With so little research on burned br longevity; I'm very hesitant to go there; & as I don't yet have a blu-ray in my pc, I can't back up the film.
Old 03-03-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Are Currentl Production WAC Blu-ray's Burned or Pressed?

Thx!
Old 03-05-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They've done a great job confusing their brand and what MOD is or isn't or what WAC is or isn't. At first I was heart broken when the Bowery Boys were first announced as Warner Archives since I have no interest in burned discs. Then I found out the first run of each set was pressed and got them. I almost didn't get some of the recent blurays because I wasn't sure if they were burned or not. It'd be great if they could call the pressed releases something else.
Old 03-05-17, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agree 100%
Old 03-06-17, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

For burned discs isn't the wording that says DVD or Blu Ray just plain text instead of the logo used for pressed discs?
Old 03-06-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

More and more niche labels are putting their Blu-ray releases out as BD-R like The Film Detective. If you don't think a movie can move 1000 units, the economics work better for BD-R.
Old 03-06-17, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Dick Van Dyke Show Now in Living Color seems to have plain text for it's BDr per the picture on TV Shows on DVD

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dic...ng-Color/23055
Old 03-06-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are there any legitimate studies showing longevity & scratch resistance on brrs?

In the rare occasion I buy a dvdr or cdr I immediately back it up (for one thing the big co's tend to use garbage blank media). I don't have a blu ray in any of my pc's so right now that isn't an option.
Old 03-07-17, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have homemade CD-Rs from the late 90s that still work without any problems. Of course I was obsessed with buying the best media possible and doing everything possible to mimimize errors when burning them.

I wonder if BD-Rs ever became a widespread enough technology for all the production kinks to have been worked out. CDs and DVDs were likely burned in the hundreds of millions, so the tech was bulletproof. By the time BD-R came around, large data storage had already moved to the cloud.
Old 03-07-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

All of my old cdrs still work. The DVDRs are a crapshoot though. Some have failed and yet look brand new.
Old 03-07-17, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pizza
They've done a great job confusing their brand and what MOD is or isn't or what WAC is or isn't.
Ditto. I assume some companies (and some merchants?) call everything "MOD" because they can't be bothered to police their inventory. Better to cast the largest possible net.

I kept hoping the FTC would step in and force mandatory labeling and/or separate bar codes. I believe WB, Sony, and TCM were the only labels playing the is-it-pressed game, and in particular, visited Sony's web site on a few occasions, rolled my eyes and moved on. They would have gotten a couple purchases had I known that pressed media was actually available. Once it goes DVD-R (and at the same price), they lose any chance.

Back to the BD-R question, there are two different types of media, HTL and LTH, which concern whether disk reflectivity is modified from high to low or the other way around during the burn process. HTL is the original BD-R media and uses inert materials, while the LTH process uses organic dyes like all other previous burned media. A study by Archives of France showed that HTL media is the better choice, but that may still not be saying much. LTH media was initially cheaper...not so much anymore...but is still sold. Panasonic HTL media (with a MEIT02 media code) is considered the best around. See sites like https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...l-use.2310236/ for more info.
Old 03-07-17, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I have homemade CD-Rs from the late 90s that still work without any problems. Of course I was obsessed with buying the best media possible and doing everything possible to mimimize errors when burning them.

I wonder if BD-Rs ever became a widespread enough technology for all the production kinks to have been worked out. CDs and DVDs were likely burned in the hundreds of millions, so the tech was bulletproof. By the time BD-R came around, large data storage had already moved to the cloud.
As a test, I left a cd-r outside for a year in the snow, rain and mud. Brought in in, washed it off under faucet, played fine.

The secret with dvd-r is QUALITY media, QUALITY burning software, QUALITY burner, and QUALITY player. I've burned a few thousand dvd-rs going back to 2001 and never had one go bad. Any MOD I buy I back up because I don't know how it was made and don't trust it.
Only problem I ever had was a burner that didn't adjust to max capacity of the media. It was set to 16x, but the media was 8x. I would get successful burns but they would freeze during playback. I reset the burner to 8x and problem solved.

A very important factor with dvd-r is humidity. If you live in a humid area, and don't have A/C, there's a risk they will go bad. They cannot get wet, dye will run.
Old 03-07-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I never had problems with DVD-Rs, though my oldest ones only go back about eleven years.
Old 03-07-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

In the last 2 years, both cdr & dvdr quality has gone WAY down in my experience. The last decent ones left were TY until CMC bought them. My experiences with the CMC TY's has not been good.

I am very picky because before I knew better I had lots of store brand (Office Depot, etc) & brand name (Maxell, TDK, etc) blanks go bad quite quickly. Today I do a software disc quality scan on every disc I burn.
Old 03-07-17, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516

The secret with dvd-r is QUALITY media, QUALITY burning software, QUALITY burner, and QUALITY player.
Yep. My concern, is there aren't many (if any) quality blanks being made today. I stocked up big time on the JVC TY dvdr's right when the sale was happening.
Old 03-08-17, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Yep. My concern, is there aren't many (if any) quality blanks being made today. I stocked up big time on the JVC TY dvdr's right when the sale was happening.
You have to be philosophical about it.

1. If something is OOP. Don't copy and sell original if worried about the media.
2. If something is readily available, it's out there if media fails.
3. If something has never been released, you have nothing to lose by recording it.