Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Arrival (Villeneuve, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Arrival (Villeneuve, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
15.94%
31.88%
26.09%
10.14%
10.14%
1.45%
2.90%
1.45%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-16, 10:48 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Arrival" (Starring: Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, Michael Stuhlbarg, Forest Whitaker)

Release Date:
11/11/16

Rating:
PG-13 (for brief strong language throughout.)

Running Time:
116m. (1h. 56m.)

Budget:
$50 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
When mysterious spacecraft touch down across the globe, an elite team - led by expert linguist Louise Banks - are brought together to investigate. As mankind teeters on the verge of global war, Banks and the team race against time for answers - and to find them, she will take a chance that could threaten her life, and quite possibly humanity.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.5 (2,444 votes as of 11/07/16)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:58 Rotten:00 (100% as of 11/07/16)

Metacritic:
81 metascore ('Universal acclaim reviews' as of 11/07/16)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
Old 11-09-16, 03:26 AM

Re: Arrival (Villeneuve, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

DVD Talk Collector Series...http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/71486/arrival/
Old 11-09-16, 10:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Just saw it and loved it. I'm not quite ready for some spoilery discussion, though. Need to soak it in a bit more.
Old 11-10-16, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dan
Just saw it and loved it. I'm not quite ready for some spoilery discussion, though. Need to soak it in a bit more.
Probably seeing this tomorrow, you know in honor of the vets. Looking forward to it.
Old 11-11-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sxDVMUrNb_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-11-16, 03:08 PM

wow. simply awe struck by this one. i was speechless walking out. so many thoughts that i couldn't quite grasp at the time, even now hard to wrap my head around this one. such a cerebral movie, but don't let that dissuade you. it just makes you think and question and wonder in the greatest way. it was so good, so well done, so well acted, directed, scripted, shot, just really great and like something i haven't seen, either before, or in a very long time.

Old 11-11-16, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

I think this movie might be to sci-fi what The Witch was to horror. Some won't get it at all. But I do need to see it again. I think it might turn out to be the alien "invasion" movie I've been waiting for. Wow.
Old 11-11-16, 04:56 PM

I think this is far superior to The Witch. Great movie, don't get me wrong, but this was so raw and packed with emotion and most importantly grounded in reality. I mean it makes it like this is how it could happen. I really think this was a simple movie at its core, in that I mean, you can get multiple interpretations sure, but I think it is much simpler in that even joe movie who usually watches garbage will understand this one. I think this might do surprisingly well. Not Gravity well, but it might surprise. What are bo predictions?
Old 11-11-16, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like I'm way in the minority on this one. I went in completely blind and found the movie boring as hell. It's a very slow movie. I almost wanted to walk out after so many scenes of them trying to interpret language symbols. It just didn't connect for me on an emotional level which is surprising since I love thought provoking movies. Also a big fan of Sicario and the director. I picked up on similar reaction from the audience leaving the theater.

Interesting that one of the main musical themes was also used in the movie Disconnect which really was deeply emotional and hit on similar themes of communication breakdown.

Old 11-11-16, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too was also bored. I think I might have fallen asleep while watching this. Normally I'm a sucker for movies like this. Beautiful cinematography and music and good acting but dam was this slow, slow, slow. When I was walking out I heard of a lot of that movie sucked.
Old 11-11-16, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it'll have a good, not great, weekend. But, it wouldn't surprise me if it drops 55% next weekend.
Old 11-11-16, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw it for the first time at TIFF 2 months ago - loved it and have been thinking about it ever since. Saw it again tonight and it holds up very well on a rewatch - no tricks here, just a really well put together movie. I love the themes, the beauty of the movie and even though it is VERY deliberately paced, I just find it very immersive and fascinating.

It was a packed house and 4 people walked out with like 20 minutes to go and when it was all over I heard 2 large groups talking, most of the people were confused but there was a person in each group who thought they grasped the movie...I shit you not, both of these blowhards mentioned
Spoiler:
that Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner got divorced BEFORE the ships arrived and dealing with the aliens helped them get back together and decide to have ANOTHER baby... and that Louise could only see the future because the Aliens were projecting it into her mind, so when they left, she couldn't see the future anymore and only what they wanted her to see..... THE FUCK!? Not sure if these people were even awake during the movie...they missed the whole 'understanding their language changes your perception' thing AND didn't realize that the baby etc. is after the ships and Louise decides that the heartbreak is worth it for the time spent with Hannah... anyone else overhear anything ridiculous

This will be in my top 5 of the year for sure.
Old 11-11-16, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting and attention-grabbing, but

Spoiler:
it "borrowed" time-jumping from Slaughterhouse Five and flash-forwards from Lost.
Old 11-12-16, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

This was my most anticipated movie of the year since I love Denis Villaneueve and thought this would be fantastic. It just felt flat to me. And they never really learned the language they translated it. Felt a lot like a Christopher Nolan film to me with better direction. Still a good film, but not worthy of the reviews it is getting IMO. Thursday audience I saw it with, hated it.
Old 11-12-16, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I saw it for the first time at TIFF 2 months ago - loved it and have been thinking about it ever since. Saw it again tonight and it holds up very well on a rewatch - no tricks here, just a really well put together movie. I love the themes, the beauty of the movie and even though it is VERY deliberately paced, I just find it very immersive and fascinating.

It was a packed house and 4 people walked out with like 20 minutes to go and when it was all over I heard 2 large groups talking, most of the people were confused but there was a person in each group who thought they grasped the movie...I shit you not, both of these blowhards mentioned
Spoiler:
that Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner got divorced BEFORE the ships arrived and dealing with the aliens helped them get back together and decide to have ANOTHER baby... and that Louise could only see the future because the Aliens were projecting it into her mind, so when they left, she couldn't see the future anymore and only what they wanted her to see..... THE FUCK!? Not sure if these people were even awake during the movie...they missed the whole 'understanding their language changes your perception' thing AND didn't realize that the baby etc. is after the ships and Louise decides that the heartbreak is worth it for the time spent with Hannah... anyone else overhear anything ridiculous

I saw it at TIFF too. I read somewhere that the theatrical ending has been changed from the TIFF ending. Was that true?
Old 11-12-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Sorry guys...I gave this 3 stars because it was well made enough, but all this movie does is borrow ideas and concepts other sci-fi films...I don't think there's an original story point in this whole movie. Given all the people gushing over this thing, I can only come to the conclusion that (a) you are easy manipulated (boy, this film pushes the emotional buttons, but in obvious, annoying ways), (b) you don't see many older films and think this is all "fresh", or (c) both.

Not a horrible movie by any means, but certainly not worthy of all the adoration...it's just "okay." I have no desire to watch it a second time.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 11-12-16 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-12-16, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000

Spoiler:

LOL. not surprised. Those are the people that voted for Trump!

Enjoyed this movie a lot and didn't find it hard to follow at all. I felt it telegraphed some things too obviously.
Old 11-12-16, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Sorry guys...I gave this 3 stars because it was well made enough, but all this movie does is borrow ideas and concepts other sci-fi films...I don't think there's an original story point in this whole movie. Given all the people gushing over this thing, I can only come to the conclusion that (a) you are easy manipulated (boy, this film pushes the emotional buttons, but in obvious, annoying ways), (b) you don't see many older films and think this is all "fresh", or (c) both.

Not a horrible movie by any means, but certainly not worthy of all the adoration...it's just "okay." I have no desire to watch it a second time.
A more generous version of my reaction to GRAVITY a couple of years ago.
Old 11-12-16, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
A more generous version of my reaction to GRAVITY a couple of years ago.
I liked Gravity...well, at least enough to own it - but a lot of that love has to do with the 3D experience.

Arrival borrows a lot from Contact, but isn't nearly as good (and even has a worse ending than Contact's disappointing ending).
Old 11-12-16, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked Gravity...well, at least enough to own it - but a lot of that love has to do with the 3D experience.

Arrival borrows a lot from Contact, but isn't nearly as good (and even has a worse ending than Contact's disappointing ending).
Interesting. If you watch the YouTube review from What The Flick, they also state it borrows from Contact but is better than Contact.
Old 11-12-16, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inri222
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sxDVMUrNb_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Really good review. I agreed with all his points. I think I still like Contact and Close Encounters better than this film but I still liked it. Worth seeing in the theater.

Last edited by edstein; 11-13-16 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-12-16, 10:01 PM

Yeah not as good as Contact, but will have to see Encounters again to logically compare. I just know this movie was breath taking...
Old 11-12-16, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Yeah not as good as Contact, but will have to see Encounters again to logically compare. I just know this movie was breath taking...
Not even in the same ballpark as CE3K.

It IS better than the Charlie Sheen "Arrival."

Seriously though, the movie has a good director and a good lead actress - that's all it's got going for it though. It's got a "C" script. That probably explains the "twist" - which got more groans from my audiences than "ooohs." Then the movie's message has nothing really to do with the aliens at all, whose purpose turns out to just be a throw-away plot point and never really fully explained.
Old 11-13-16, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I remember liking CONTACT a lot.
Old 11-13-16, 08:52 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Not even in the same ballpark as CE3K.

It IS better than the Charlie Sheen "Arrival."

Seriously though, the movie has a good director and a good lead actress - that's all it's got going for it though. It's got a "C" script. That probably explains the "twist" - which got more groans from my audiences than "ooohs." Then the movie's message has nothing really to do with the aliens at all, whose purpose turns out to just be a throw-away plot point and never really fully explained.
The aliens said they came to bring humanity together and that in 3000 years they will need their help.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.