Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon sales tax discussion

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-13-12, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Just a heads up to any other PA residents, Amazon now charges sales tax in PA. I didn't even know it was being considered, but as of this past Saturday they started.
Old 09-13-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Blu-ray Discounts and Deals Thread #27

Originally Posted by joltman
Just a heads up to any other PA residents, Amazon now charges sales tax in PA. I didn't even know it was being considered, but as of this past Saturday they started.
Bummer. California starts charging tax in 2 days.
Old 09-13-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry if this is a repost, but Amazon will start charging tax in CA starting 9/15. This means that, depending on what you buy, you may have to pay a sales tax that could exceed 100% of the out of pocket purchase price.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug...kdown-20120831
Old 09-14-12, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arizona is now charging sales tax as well. No mention anywhere. Order I made today just showed it out of the blue.

So annoyed.
Old 09-14-12, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been that way in NY for a couple years. If it's an Amazon vendor many times it's not charged
Old 09-14-12, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by joltman
It's been in the Pittsburgh newspapers recently.

http://triblive.com/business/headlin...an-stanzel-com

http://triblive.com/state/pennsylvan...ylvania-states

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...you-pa-652283/

The benefit may be better service because more physical facilities will be built in taxing states.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-roots-652961/
Amazon started collecting taxes in Texas this summer, and in Pennsylvania on Sept. 1. New Jersey's turn will come next summer, and several other states over the next two years. The company seems to be surrendering on the tax issue mostly in those states where it sees strategic value in new warehouses. Company officials say they hoped to see a national sales tax law in place that will supersede state laws.
Old 09-14-12, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts

Damn. I hope Alabama hold out but I am sure it is coming soon. This will have to hurt Amazon in the long run.
Old 09-14-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Amazon is looking to cut down on delivery times to compensate for the tax issue, as well as expand their sales to further compete with B&Ms. I'm in NY and have dealt with tax for a while, and I still prefer amazon over going to stores.
Old 09-14-12, 10:39 AM

Tax for ca, I am out
Old 09-14-12, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Arizona is now charging sales tax as well. No mention anywhere. Order I made today just showed it out of the blue.

So annoyed.
I remember seeing various lists posted and never saw AZ on it. It doesn't surprise me as greedy govts are going to force them to pay sales tax in every state because the last thing politicians can or will do is control their spending and handouts (which I call bribes for votes).

For the people in states who just started charging sales tax, am I correct to assume that only new orders are affected but existing preorders remain without sales tax?

I'd love to see sales figures from Amazon how their sales drop in those states when the sales tax kicks in, but I doubt they publish them.
Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
Amazon is looking to cut down on delivery times to compensate for the tax issue, as well as expand their sales to further compete with B&Ms. I'm in NY and have dealt with tax for a while, and I still prefer amazon over going to stores.
Amazon sure needs to become more competitive. I can't think of a single instance of a single new release BD movie where Amazon had a lower price than anyone else. Amazon hasn't lead prices for longer than I can remember (even last year their BF prices were mostly a pricematch of BB, Target, and Walmart BF deals). Amazon's prices on BD preorders stay very high until usually Sunday or Monday at which point they often (but not always) match BB or Target's weekly ad prices. I'd love to see Amazon start leading rather than being a reluctant follower. Just think how shocked I'd be if Amazon ever priced something like Brave 3D at $24.99 or (delivered price, with or without coupon) to begin with instead of starting really high (I think at $44.99) and dropping prices only as other online retailers offered lower prices.
Old 09-14-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Been that way in NY for a couple years. If it's an Amazon vendor many times it's not charged
I was just reading an article this morning that it appears you might be able to avoid sales tax through 3rd party sellers.

Amazon buyers can use 3rd-party sellers to avoid tax
Old 09-14-12, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
I was just reading an article this morning that it appears you might be able to avoid sales tax through 3rd party sellers.

I know we probably have completely different laws and stuff, but you never pay taxes on Marketplace items on Amazon.ca too.
Old 09-14-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES

I noticed that when I bought the Mel Brooks set and added another BD. There was no tax on the other BD. Though the official Amazon MP seller (Warehouse Deals) does charge tax. I guess if the reseller is located in your state, they are supposed to charge tax.

Originally Posted by Manzana
Amazon sure needs to become more competitive. I can't think of a single instance of a single new release BD movie where Amazon had a lower price than anyone else. Amazon hasn't lead prices for longer than I can remember (even last year their BF prices were mostly a pricematch of BB, Target, and Walmart BF deals). Amazon's prices on BD preorders stay very high until usually Sunday or Monday at which point they often (but not always) match BB or Target's weekly ad prices. I'd love to see Amazon start leading rather than being a reluctant follower. Just think how shocked I'd be if Amazon ever priced something like Brave 3D at $24.99 or (delivered price, with or without coupon) to begin with instead of starting really high (I think at $44.99) and dropping prices only as other online retailers offered lower prices.
Best post you've ever written. I agree 100%. I have also noticed that many BF sales that Amazon has that are not PM's are often lower through other retailers as the week progresses. For example Modern Family (I think) was around $18 at Amazon early BF week. As the week progressed other retailers, including B&N, DD and Foxconnect had better prices (I got mine for $10 after coupons at Foxconnect).

To be fair, there were a few deals that were exclusive to Amazon, but for the most part, they were PM's. (ex. Beauty and the Beast Criterion)
Old 09-14-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

For the people in states who just started charging sales tax, am I correct to assume that only new orders are affected but existing preorders remain without sales tax?
No, people have reported that pre-orders ship with tax if the tax has kicked in at that time.

I'd love to see sales figures from Amazon how their sales drop in those states when the sales tax kicks in, but I doubt they publish them.
I would only see that happening if they were using the numbers as political leverage, but I doubt any state seeking tax would cry for Amazon if they showed a drop.

I'm surprised you still shop Amazon at all considering how much you complain about them. It's a big company, and clearly they have their strategy and it works for them. I've always paid tax so I have to evaluate whether the convenience and Prime shipping make it worth it for me. Yes, lowest price is great, but it's only part of what I consider.
Old 09-14-12, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
re: Amazon sales tax discussion

Which really bites, since I'm moving to California next month and am addicted to PRIME shipping.

Sounds like the trick will be to look for items fullfilled by someone else, and shipped by amazon. Those will still be tax free.
Old 09-14-12, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree... but honestly Amazon started losing my business when Best Buy started offering free shipping. If I want a $7.99 movie Best Buy has on sale I will buy there, even if Amazon matches, because it ships free with no strings attached. Amazon of course has that $25 threshold...
Old 09-14-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
It's a big company, and clearly they have their strategy and it works for them.
That's right. Amazon doesn't need to "lead". They are the "big dog" and it's up to the little ones to fight to take away their power. Best Buy seems to be leading in new release pricing these days and it's all in an attempt to take away business from Amazon. And Amazon matches once they find out what BB prices will be. It's also why I've been buying more from Best Buy. I like what they've been doing and without them Amazon prices would be higher. Competition is good and I'm doing my part to make sure Amazon has some.
Old 09-14-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I noticed that when I bought the Mel Brooks set and added another BD. There was no tax on the other BD. Though the official Amazon MP seller (Warehouse Deals) does charge tax. I guess if the reseller is located in your state, they are supposed to charge tax.
Yeah, recently noticed on something I was interested in from 3rd party seller that it had sales tax because they were located in CA. I ended passing on the item because it was going to cost an extra $55 with sales tax and shipping. Most of the time it seems though through marketplace sellers there is no tax because they are out of state.
Old 09-14-12, 02:23 PM

No, people have reported that pre-orders ship with tax if the tax has kicked in at that time.
I'll have to see. The last pre-order I had shipped was August 28, a few days before they started collecting tax in PA. I still have one outstanding that I placed way back in May (Cinderella BD). The order still shows 0.00 for tax now, but they will probably add it when it ships in October.
Old 09-14-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It may be they're only charging tax where they have distribution centers.

Cause we've got one here in AZ. My friend works there. So it may be one of those "necessary evils".
Old 09-14-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
Sorry if this is a repost, but Amazon will start charging tax in CA starting 9/15. This means that, depending on what you buy, you may have to pay a sales tax that could exceed 100% of the out of pocket purchase price.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug...kdown-20120831
What items would those be?
Old 09-14-12, 06:23 PM

I'm surprised you still shop Amazon at all considering how much you complain about them. It's a big company, and clearly they have their strategy and it works for them. I've always paid tax so I have to evaluate whether the convenience and Prime shipping make it worth it for me. Yes, lowest price is great, but it's only part of what I consider.
Bummer about preorders getting dinged for tax when they ship when the original orders were placed without tax. Fortunately I don't have many preorders left. I shop wherever I find the best deals, and Amazon is usually not that place. Amazon has screwed me badly a few times (mainly by cancelling some large orders I thought were legitimate that they claimed were price mistakes way after the fact), and I sometimes get bummed out when they drop prices right after I buy something (since it's not easy to return stuff there and it's only 30 days), BUT. on a whole I have more positive experiences than negative ones, so Amazon is still a retailer I'll do business with if they have the best deals. Deep Discount is about the only BD/DVD dealer I'm boycotting completely. There are a handful of online electronics retailers I won't buy from, but I won't get into that.
Originally Posted by Easy
I agree... but honestly Amazon started losing my business when Best Buy started offering free shipping. If I want a $7.99 movie Best Buy has on sale I will buy there, even if Amazon matches, because it ships free with no strings attached. Amazon of course has that $25 threshold...
Originally Posted by jwstl
That's right. Amazon doesn't need to "lead". They are the "big dog" and it's up to the little ones to fight to take away their power. Best Buy seems to be leading in new release pricing these days and it's all in an attempt to take away business from Amazon. And Amazon matches once they find out what BB prices will be. It's also why I've been buying more from Best Buy. I like what they've been doing and without them Amazon prices would be higher. Competition is good and I'm doing my part to make sure Amazon has some.
And that $25 threshold for free shipping is the cruncher and BB's free shipping is why BB gets most of my business lately. I've said that BB has improved a lot in many ways, so I'm less angry at them, but I still know that if I try to get a coupon deal that isn't listed in their ad that I'm likely to get denied... so I go to Target for those things. There are usually workarounds. I've been happy to reward BB's good movie and game deals lately by buying there, especially when I don't have enough to hit $25 on Amazon. Having a 60 day local return policy at BB helps too in case the price drops. I hope BB succeeds in making Amazon's prices more competitive because Amazon rarely does it on their own. That's right that Amazon (the big dog) doesn't need to lead in prices and they choose not to.

Another funny thing is that my nearest BB store (where I normally had coupon trouble) mentioned to me that they were starting a "test program" where they would PM certain online retailers like Amazon. I asked them if they'd PM Nebraska Furniture Mart, BJs, or Gohastings and was told no. Apparently it's select online stores like Amazon and Newegg and big retailers. I have no idea if this is official policy at other stores or if I actually tried to do it whether they really would. As they say, talk is cheap. Fry's Electronics loves to claim they'll PM anyone, but they make the process so slow and painful (waiting for the manager to get off his break no matter what time I go) that I rarely do it. But in the deals dept. I'll give BB an A for effort lately... even if some of their deals and items in their game clearances are OOS before the sale begins.

Last edited by Manzana; 09-14-12 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-15-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
It may be they're only charging tax where they have distribution centers.

Cause we've got one here in AZ. My friend works there. So it may be one of those "necessary evils".
That used to be the way--only states where they had a physical presence. But other states came after them hard, starting in New York, I think.

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
given that this is a 'Amazon BD discounts and deals' thread, do you think we can ever get back to topic about a deal posting instead of this opining on whether you will shop Amazon or not ? Quite frankly, why should anyone give a damn as to who will buy on Amazon or not ? Its a statutory requirement that they collect sales tax from CA and so they will - the policy won't change. Whether this will change your policy towards shopping with them is not relevant to this thread - perhaps someone can create a new 'Will you shop on Amazon.com ?' thread and take all this discussion there.
Or a One and Only Amazon Tax thread. But I'm sure people would complain that they don't read that thread and didn't know their state had appeared in it.
Old 09-15-12, 10:25 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

i canceled some orders.

Illegally charging sales tax is BS. I'll just buy them from Target now with my 5% RedCard discount.
Old 09-15-12, 11:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: Amazon sales tax discussion

Curious at all the complaining. Legally, we've always been supposed to pay it even if Amazon doesn't collect it. Tax never plays a factor in my buying decisions.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.