Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Cure for Wellness (2017, d: Verbinski, s: DeHaan, Goth, Isaacs)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-04-17, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

This comes out on Feb 17th. Rated R. Runtime is 2hr 26m. I remember reading a little about it a while back but haven't seen or heard anything about it since.

Synopsis: An ambitious young executive is sent to retrieve his company's CEO from an idyllic but mysterious "wellness center" at a remote location in the Swiss Alps but soon suspects that the spa's miraculous treatments are not what they seem.

I'm always down for Verbinski movies, the content may waver but they're always relatively cool visually.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-04-17 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-04-17, 05:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: A Cure for Wellness (2017, d: Verbinski, s: DeHaan, Goth, Isaacs)

I remember seeing this trailer a while back and thought it was interesting. I dunno why, but it really reminds me of Shutter Island. I'll check it out.
Old 02-04-17, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I remember seeing this trailer a while back and thought it was interesting. I dunno why, but it really reminds me of Shutter Island. I'll check it out.
It reminds me a lot of Shutter Island as well, now with parasites. Isaacs has really upped his "insane brilliant doctor" role quota as of late.
Old 02-06-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

The fact that this is a studio movie based entirely on original material means I will probably see it. These are rare nowadays.
Old 02-09-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

This is not doing well so far with the critics, and I still don't know how I feel after watching the trailer, but I kinda still want to see it.
Old 02-09-17, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

I want to see it. It's a meaty 2.5 hour movie. Always expected from Gore Verbinski. My take on his movies - he throws pacing to the side and expects us to sit there and watch. I think that's a turn off to a lot of casual moviegoers. Hollywood has so much focus on keeping the pace brisk. But Gore Verbinski wants to give you the full unedited story.

I'd like to make comparisons to other filmmakers that successfully do this. But I don't think he's made a film yet that can sit next to those greats. Though I do think he's capable of it.

I never played Bioshock. But I got that feeling from some of the visuals. Are these scrapped and recycled visions from that project? That's the feeling I got from many of those shots.
Old 02-09-17, 02:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I haven't seen a movie of his that I haven't liked. And hell, I really enjoyed The Mexican. I thought that was a funny movie and actually enjoyed the story. Too bad most didn't.
Old 02-09-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Mexican is really good. I think people are turned off by its pacing. It requires you to sit there and watch the whole thing. I think it is the same reason people have a hard time watching old movies. That was mid-to-late 90's when everything started getting really fast paced. Now they edit everything as though the audience has ADD.

(Ugh. Talking like this makes me feel like and old man.)
Old 02-10-17, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't help but wonder if this is :A)Verbinski trying to prove that a big budget R rated horror movie can work and help get his "Bioshock" movie greenlit . B) Allegedly some of the Bioshock sets were built before the movie was shelved and this production is finally using some of them . C) Both A&B, or D) This movie more or less IS the Bioshock movie with the script re-worked to make it more of a traditional horror movie. Given the track record Hollywood has with video game adaptations that bare little resemblance to the source material , that wouldn't surprise me. Verbinski is a solid director, but he's not exactly what I would call an artist , more of a hired gun they trust with lots of money.

It's weird. I want this movie to be a hit because I know it will give big budget horror movies with the R rating a chance. However, I really don't want Verbinksi in charge of Bioshock if it happens. My dream production would have Guillermo del Toro or Tim Burton directing with a script adaptation by Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy , also acting as producers.
Old 02-10-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
The Mexican is really good. I think people are turned off by its pacing. It requires you to sit there and watch the whole thing. I think it is the same reason people have a hard time watching old movies. That was mid-to-late 90's when everything started getting really fast paced. Now they edit everything as though the audience has ADD.

(Ugh. Talking like this makes me feel like and old man.)
Naw...it was just a bad poorly paced movie.
Old 02-17-17, 01:33 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Bump for opening.

40% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_cure_for_wellness
Old 02-17-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Naw...it was just a bad poorly paced movie.
But by your measurement that makes all old movies poorly paced. They're so boring!
Old 02-17-17, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is 2.5 hours long, and virtually every critic agrees that is far too long for this type of movie.
Old 02-18-17, 10:43 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

But by your measurement that makes all old movies poorly paced. They're so boring!
How is him having the opinion that one movie is poorly paced a blanket statement on all old movies?
Old 02-18-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

My friend gave it the benefit of the doubt:

I would like to propose something. Many will argue how A Cure for Wellness has few tricks up its sleeves that audiences have not seen before. What if director Gore Verbinski knows that as well? Fitting in the same league as gorgeously designed, but narratively challenged films such as Shutter Island and Crimson Peak, A Cure for Wellness plays like a film where the destination is perhaps clear, but the journey is so cinematically interesting. Like those other films, it may be overlong and overstuffed, but the fact that a major studio funded such an odd project feels like a triumph for film in general. It doesn’t hurt to note just how disturbing some of the visuals are, which does play well to the genre fans looking for strange jolts.

http://whysoblu.com/cure-wellness-bi...-movie-review/
Old 02-19-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Not what I meant and I am pretty sure you know that. The Mexican in particular yes falls into that category. Not all older movies. Old to me is movies in the 1970's one of the best decades for movies period.
Old 02-19-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Saw this last night. I wouldn't say the film is downright awful but it never lives up to it's potential.

Within the script (which is painfully predictable and a bit sloppy), there were small flashes of something a bit more interesting. The film never really let's itself get completely nutty and it suffers because of it. In that 2.5 hours, I kept hoping the film would drown itself a little more in the Genre tropes that exist in other films similar to it.

To it's credit, the film is shot beautifully and has fantastic set pieces.
Old 02-20-17, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

From Box Office Guru:

Rounding out the top 10 was the debut of A Cure for Wellness which imploded taking in only $4.2M, according to estimates, from 2,704 theaters for a per screen average of only $1,553. Critics and audiences alike both disliked the film, with critics giving it only 38% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and audiences giving it a 'C+' CinemaScore. This was a complete misfire.
Old 02-23-17, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have to see this on the big screen before it gets yanked. I understand it's style over substance and I am ok with that.
Old 02-24-17, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just came back from this and it was style over substance. The production design and cinematography were phenomenal. I'm glad I got to see it on the big screen.

I'll definitely be getting the Blu-ray. On side-note - I read that this film is what spawned out of Gore Verbinski's aborted Bioshock film along with some of sets and props. I don't know if that' true or not, but I read it.
Old 02-24-17, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just came back from this and it was style over substance. The production design and cinematography were phenomenal. I'm glad I got to see it on the big screen.

I'll definitely be getting the Blu-ray. On side-note - I read that this film is what spawned out of Gore Verbinski's aborted Bioshock film along with some of sets and props. I don't know if that' true or not, but I read it.
I posted that a few notches up from here, but I have no proof, just speculation.
Old 02-24-17, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I have to see this on the big screen before it gets yanked. I understand it's style over substance and I am ok with that.
It's close to getting there. I know the theater that I saw it at opening weekend, now has it down to 2 (late) screenings.
Old 02-24-17, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by asianxcore
It's close to getting there. I know the theater that I saw it at opening weekend, now has it down to 2 (late) screenings.
Yeah, I saw it in one of the smaller screens. 11:25am. The next shows are at 7:45 and last one at 11 something in the PM.
Old 06-10-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought this started out well (minus some groan inducing dialog from his bosses) before disappearing up its own ass. But it is one of the best looking movies I've seen in a while, just beautiful locales and scenes left and right.

Considering what he squeezed out of the $40m price tag, I do wish Verbinski was given a shot at BioShock with a $100m budget, it would have undoubtedly looked spectacular.
Old 06-12-17, 10:34 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I thought this was pretty solid and involving until it hit the 2 hour mark...then it kept going, and the ending was atrocious.

3.25/5

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.