Reload this Page >

TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-15-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Travis has some personal issues going on right now, so I volunteered to run the Challenge this year, as I hated to see it go by the wayside.

Ah, January. It's cold, there's very little new content in any entertainment field and most football fans have already figured out that their teams are going nowhere. Is there a better time to hibernate on the couch and gorge on TV shows?

Guidelines/Rules
This challenge begins at Dusk (your time) on Boxing Day, 26 December 2016, and concludes at Dawn (your time), 1 February 2016.
Eligible content is anything originally produced for television broadcast, including television series, mini-series, made-for-TV movies and specials (including, but not limited to, stand-up specials and music performances).
Also eligible are movies that are directly part of the continuity of eligible content. If you are uncertain, please ask in the discussion thread!
This is not a challenge pitting your final view count against anyone else's. You're fighting your own schedule and capacity for gorging on TV content. You are therefore welcome to count your viewing totals however you wish, as it will only matter to you.
Remember also that 1 January overlaps with the Holiday Challenge, so if you've got any Holiday-themed TV content you want to squeeze in, it counts for both challenges on that day.
* The emphasis of this challenge should be to explore the impact that the DVD format has had on how we view TV content, but you are not restricted to the DVD format. You may watch your content on VHS, Blu-ray, over-the-air broadcast, digital download, online streaming; whatever format suits you.

Don't forget to check out the TV Talk sub-forum, where you may very well find other fans of the shows you choose to watch during the challenge!

Sponsor: Hamilton Books

Prizes: Prize Pack 1: The Odyssey & Bewitched: Seasons 3 & 4
Prize Pack 2: Miami Vice Season 1 & The Abbott And Costello Show Complete Second Season
Prize Pack 3: Maude Season 1 & Murder, She Wrote First Season

Last edited by shadokitty; 01-16-17 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-15-16, 06:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 669 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

No Challenge will ever go by the wayside as long as one of us is alive shado.

Hugs to Travis, and thanks for starting this thread!
Old 12-16-16, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

I have plans to re-watch Scandal for this challenge. West Wing and Buffy/Angel are next on the viewing list but I'm not sure which I'll be in the mood for.
Old 12-16-16, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't have any set plans on what to watch yet, so I might wing it.

Also, I plan to make a 2017 Rank Em As You Watch Em thread in the TV Talk subforum. I'd like it stickied this year, so how do I go about requesting that?
Old 12-16-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

I never have firm plans. I usually just wing it with what strikes my fancy. Right now I'm watching my new R2 copy of The Brittas Empire.
Old 12-17-16, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a few things I'm thinking on focusing on, but my plans tend to change. I do want to watch a season or two of Bones as this is the last year of it. I keep on saying I am going to watch Enterprise. Maybe this year I'll actually get to it!
Old 12-17-16, 05:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 669 Likes on 448 Posts

Not sure what I'll concentrate on next month, some non-TV hobbies/projects are more my priority at the moment, but I'll at least do my monthly checklist.

Trevor's Personal Challenge Checklist
(a monthly checklist to help justify collections and subscriptions)

Amazon Prime -
Animation -
BD -
Comic Book -
Criterion -
Disney -
DVD -
Godzilla -
HBO -
Holiday -
Horror -
MST3K -
Netflix -
Roku -
Star Trek -
3D -
Vudu -
Old 12-19-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not linked here, as I posted it on my phone, but the List Thread is up.
Old 12-21-16, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by malazar
Always nervous about this challenge, but looking forward to it.
What about this challenge makes you nervous? Maybe I can help.
Old 12-22-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have prizes. Goldenwheels has agreed to let me play Elf to his Santa Claus. A big thanks to Goldenwheels and Hamilton Books.
Old 12-23-16, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got some money as an early Christmas present, so used it to get a gift card and bought some shows for next month. Ordered the complete series of Dogfights from Amazon, and on Amazon Instant Video, bought Seasons 5 and 6 of Ancient Aliens, since I'm currently revisiting the show, and am on Season 3 right now. I also bought Galapagos, Yellowstone, and Life In Cold Blood, from the BBC Earth collection. Looking forward to watching them.
Old 12-23-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I decided to warm up for this challenge by watching an episode of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and then putting in a disc from my box set of Season 1 of "Perry Mason." The 1st ep. on the latter disc was so good, I watched all four eps. on it. What a great show "Perry Mason" was. I've acquired so many box sets since my last participation in this challenge (2015) that I figured I had to participate this year to make some kind of dent. Among my acquisitions: "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." Season One, "Mission: Impossible" Season One, "Batman" Season One, "Gunsmoke" Season One, the Hopalong Cassidy TV collection; "Tombstone Territory" Season One; the complete "Star Trek" and "The Magnificent Seven" (1998). Plus assorted Power Rangers seasons. Not counting a few dozen unfinished series I've had on the shelf for years.

Old 12-23-16, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I need this one to run *all year* to make a dent in my unopened TVonDVD piles. The last time I did a rough "how long will it take to watch it all" it would have been ~5 years watching a minimum of 4 hours per day. I've added at least another year or two to the total since that time.
Old 12-23-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^I need this one to run *all year* to make a dent in my unopened TVonDVD piles. The last time I did a rough "how long will it take to watch it all" it would have been ~5 years watching a minimum of 4 hours per day. I've added at least another year or two to the total since that time.
On one hand, I'd like to add my total up. On the other hand, I'm very afraid of the answer.
Old 12-23-16, 09:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
need this one to run *all year* to make a dent in my unopened TVonDVD piles. The last time I did a rough "how long will it take to watch it all" it would have been ~5 years watching a minimum of 4 hours per day. I've added at least another year or two to the total since that time.
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
On one hand, I'd like to add my total up. On the other hand, I'm very afraid of the answer.
Same boat, it would take several years to get through everything I have. The actual amount of time would be too intimidating so I don't think I want to know.

With that in mind... I usually use the challenge to watch some "complete series", but so far they've been shows with only one or two seasons. This year I'm going to try and knock out a few shows with longer runs.
Old 12-24-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm starting to warm up for this Challenge myself. Not watching anything in particular, but I've bought watch a lot of TV lately. Just watched a hunting show now that I used for the Holiday Challenge, since it was about a deer hunt during the holiday season.
Old 12-24-16, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm actually going into this challenge with a cleared DVR. Gonna jump right onto my unwatched dvd stacks. Hoping to make a pretty solid dent in them when it is all said and done.
Old 12-25-16, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A thought occurred to me this morning. Besides kaiju TV series, like Ultraman, Godzilla movies are also eligible, due to there being a Godzilla cartoon in the 70s.
Old 12-25-16, 10:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I have nothing stashed on my DVR this year either which just seems odd to me, but I was good about knocking that stuff out in recent months. The only plan I have for the moment is to watch my Twin Peaks blu-ray set. Outside of that, I will either try to come up with a plan or just randomly pick stuff from my DVD/Blu-ray or streaming backlogs.
Old 12-26-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure what I'm going to start with tonight, as there is so much to choose from, but I'm really looking forward to tonight for the start of the Challenge.
Old 12-26-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'm not sure what I'm going to start with tonight, as there is so much to choose from, but I'm really looking forward to tonight for the start of the Challenge.
Wow, time flies, doesn't it? Was just here to see when it started and now it's today! I probably won't get a good start until after the new year as I'm house sitting for my sister and other than what I catch live, I don't really have anything with me. It'll be good to have a small break before I start though.

I do have a ton of unwatched DVDs plus a ton on my DVR. Hopefully I'll be able to clean at least some unwatched shows off both piles.
Old 12-26-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been watching my recently acquired BR Star Trek: TNG set and am part way through S6 (I think - kind of lost track and have just been putting in the next disc when I've watched all the eps on one). I'll probably continue with that until I've finished it before moving on.

I also have a newly acquired R2 set of Dad's Army and since I typically keep a couple of hour and half-hour series "in progress" for variety I'm thinking of putting that one into rotation. I really enjoyed the R1 "Best Of" I purchased sometime last year and have been looking forward to revisiting the series.

I'm hoping I don't get into "decision lock" this year - you know... where you spend a hour deciding what to watch next when you finish a series. I'm hoping to decide while I'm still watching a series to regain that formerly lost viewing time.
Old 12-26-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I kicked off my Challenge with an episode of The Gamekeepers Of Mossy Oak, on the Pursuit Channel. I was in the mood for an outdoor show, and was entertained by a turkey hunt, and a segment on training hunting dogs to retrieve.
Old 12-26-16, 10:57 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I watched the complete season of The Shannara Chronicles. Started it this afternoon and just finished it. Not sure what I'll tackle tomorrow. Tarfrimmer and I are going to try and get thru Robin Hood, and Legend of the Seeker. I'm also going to try to get through The Strain.
Old 12-27-16, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was in the mood for a fishing show when I woke up this morning, so figured, what better channel than the World Fishing Network. I found an episode of.Big Coast Sportfishing that featured Chinook salmon fishing in the Nootka Sound. I don't know where exactly that is, except it is probably on Canada's Pacific Coast, but wherever it is, they were catching big salmon, and even a couple halibut.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.