Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Speed Racer coming to Blu-ray from Funimation

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 07-26-15, 09:32 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 525 Likes on 462 Posts

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/...at-otakon-2015
Speed Racer, PSYCHO-PASS: The Movie, Ghost in the Shell: The Movie, Assassination Classroom 2, and More — Announced at Otakon 2015!
Posted by Lauren on 07/25/2015 at 4:20pm

Hold on tight, because we’ve got some MAJOR announcements just in from the FUNimation Industry Panel at Otakon 2015! First at the starting line:

Speed Racer

Coming Soon for the first time on Blu-ray! The definitive collection includes episodes never released in North America, as well as Mach GoGoGo! This release will be available in Japanese (w/ English subtitles) for the first time — stay tuned for more details!
Old 07-26-15, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts
re: Speed Racer coming to Blu-ray from Funimation

This takes me right back to Friday afternoons of my childhood.
Old 07-26-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

I'm assuming the episodes will be uncut, right?
Old 07-26-15, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I only have vague memories of Speed Racer since I haven't seen any episodes since early childhood. Does the show still hold entertainment value for adults today?
Old 07-26-15, 05:42 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'm assuming the episodes will be uncut, right?
It's still an unknown on how FUNimation will release this. Will it include both TV edit version and the uncut version? Or will just go for uncut version and re-dub the series? Since FUNimation is doing Blu-ray for this, I would think uncut version is in the cards.
Old 07-26-15, 08:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

I have those 5 DVD releases that were each in some novelty packaging like a tire or a steering wheel. As much as Speed Racer was the absolute joy of my childhood afternoons (along with Ultraman), I think the DVDs will be sufficient for me.
Old 07-26-15, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To see them uncut and in their original Japanese with the original dialogue contained in the subtitles would be a major thrill for me. These episodes were altered way too much for the American market. I suspect it will be like seeing a whole new series.
Old 07-27-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Complete series box set on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Racer-Co...ds=speed+racer

What episodes were never released in the US? I understand these all were dubbed and cut, but never have read that some episodes may not have been released.

Personally I hope they do the same thing for the original Yamato (Star Blazers) series. That really needs a cleanup. Never bought the DVD's due to the poor quality.
Old 07-27-15, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

The problem is the company that holds the Star Blazers/Yamato rights (Voyager) are insane, at least in terms of pricing.

I love classic anime, but I'm not sure I need Speed Racer on Blu-ray.
Old 07-28-15, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I have the Complete series box set on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Racer-Co...ds=speed+racer

What episodes were never released in the US? I understand these all were dubbed and cut, but never have read that some episodes may not have been released.

Personally I hope they do the same thing for the original Yamato (Star Blazers) series. That really needs a cleanup. Never bought the DVD's due to the poor quality.
Got the same set plus a couple of the sets with the fun toys. Not sure if I want to dip into the blu-ray, but if it is uncut with episodes not released (making it a new series) I may have to double/triple dip and watch it back to back.
Old 07-28-15, 06:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the first that I'm hearing about episodes not airing in the US. Everything I've ever read shows the same number of Japanese episodes as there are dubbed/cut US episodes.

Anybody have any other info on this?

Regardless, I doubt I'll get this. The animation is quaint and nostalgic, but definitely not screaming for high definition, IMHO. Plus, the english dubbing is so amusing and part of the charm for me. If the new set has the full english dubbed episodes included, lots of cool extras, and has a price point of $50 or less for the entire series I might bite. Otherwise, I doubt it.
Old 07-28-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
The problem is the company that holds the Star Blazers/Yamato rights (Voyager) are insane, at least in terms of pricing.

I would pay their prices, especially for BD, if the quality was there. But as of now, both the picture and audio quality suck.
Old 07-28-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

It almost has to have the original English episodes with the original dub; they make a distinction that it includes Mach GoGo! but call the set Speed Racer, after all.
Old 01-07-17, 04:26 PM
WTK

Speed Racer: Complete Series (Blu-ray) has been listed with select online retailers. Curious price point (and possible configuration) if 100% accurate. Is this a sub only release (license announcement promised Japanese with English subs)? Can it be dub only release? More questions than answers right now until it's listed from Funimation Shop and/or RightStuf.

MSRP: $29.98?
Release date: May 30, 2017
UPC: 704400023880

- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0Y6K67
- https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N0Y6K67
- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/speed-ra...skuId=32506246

Last edited by WTK; 01-07-17 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Only took a year and a half to get something on the horizon for Speed Racer. Still waiting for Yamato/Star Blazers.
Old 01-10-17, 11:05 PM
WTK

Amazon has removed the BD listing. Amazon.ca and Best Buy still have their listings up for now.
Old 01-10-17, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

I'd be in for a reasonably priced BD set, even though I wouldn't watch them that often.
Old 01-11-17, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Digital Bits (if you believe them) is reporting they will be the full Japanese version with English subs. Possibly containing both version (US and JP) for every episode. We'll see. I would upgrade my DVD set for that.
Old 03-22-17, 10:55 PM
WTK

https://www.speedracergogogo.com.

https://www.speedracergogogo.com/about
READY SET,
GO! GO! GO!

Speed Racer dreams of becoming a professional racer. When meddling crooks keep him from the finish line, he finds a way to make it through.

ABOUT THE SERIES

Brought to the United States in 1967 under the name Speed Racer, the endearing classic originated in Japan with the title Mach GoGoGo. In 1997, Japan aired a new, 34-episode remake known as Mach GoGoGo: Restart.

Speed Racer 1967: 52-episodes, English audio.
Mach GoGoGo 1967: 52-episodes, Japanese audio with subtitles.
Mach GoGoGo: Restart 1997: 34-episodes, Japanese audio with subtitles.
https://www.speedracergogogo.com/exclusives
MEET THE VOICE OF TRIXIE!

Corinne Orr, voice of Trixie and Mom Racer, is the only living voice actor from the original Speed Racer. Now you can meet her in person! Learn all about her experience working on the show in the 60s alongside director and voice of Speed, Peter Fernandez.

April 26, 2017 at 6pm ET
Barnes & Noble Store #2255
97 Warren St. New York, NY 10007
Open to the public, free of charge.

https://www.speedracergogogo.com/wp-...ie-box-art.png

Cover art not final and is subject to change.

SPECIALTY COVER

This one-of-a-kind Blu-ray wrap is available exclusively at the Barnes & Noble hosting the event. Purchase yours and you can have it signed by Corinne Orr!
Old 04-17-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Speed Racer coming to Blu-ray from Funimation

So, is it going to have the original JPN dub or not?

Funimation site says it's the English dub.

https://www.funimation.com/shop/home...ies-blr-00171/
Old 04-17-17, 10:23 PM
WTK

Yes (see my previous post). We just don't have the release details yet.

Mach GoGoGo 1967: 52-episodes, Japanese audio with subtitles.
Mach GoGoGo: Restart 1997: 34-episodes, Japanese audio with subtitles.

There is also a planned complete Collector's Edition for end of the year release (no details what this includes).
Old 04-19-17, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the heads-up on the Corinne Orr appearance. I plan to go.
Old 04-27-17, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I went to see Corinne Orr speak last night, in conversation with Michael Sinterniklass (a prominent dubber/voice director). Not much of substance was said. She just recounted funny stories and kept saying, "It was so much fun." If you wanted to know about cultural differences between Japan and the U.S. or the art-and-craft nuts-and-bolts of voice dubbing then this wasn't the place for it. The only important point made about the difference between voice dubbing back then and now is that the actors all sat in a room and recorded it together in the Speed Racer days, whereas today every voice actor does their lines alone in a booth and the lines are cut together afterwards. Orr has done both and prefers to have the other actor in the room to react to. Sinterniklass pointed out that they still do it the old way in Japan. I tend to prefer it that way, too. This could be the reason English dubs today generally sound so stilted. The actors aren't in a room together, so there's no dynamic between them.

They did not have the Blu-rays or DVD sets available for sale at the story. You had to pre-order at the cash register and they would give you a package sleeve for Ms. Orr to sign and they'd send you the box set later. The price: $29.99. Yet it's $20.99 on the website, so I didn't pre-order and I didn't get her signature. I just don't like the idea of paying one-third more at the store than they charge on their website, even if I am getting a signature.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-27-17 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-30-17, 11:20 PM
WTK

Just as a reminder...the just released Speed Racer BD has no Japanese audio. Funimation didn't correct the back cover typo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r.../R89SLZKXR84MW

Old 05-31-17, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't call that a typo. I'd call it false advertising. How many of us pre-ordered this thinking we'd finally get the original Japanese versions? That's why I ordered it. And now we learn, after I received my copy, that it's only the English dub, which I already have on DVD. If Funimation wants to get back the good will of its customers, it better send free copies of the Japanese version--if and when it comes out--to all of us who pre-ordered the Blu-ray based on false expectations. I'm glad I saved money by pre-ordering through Amazon and not Barnes & Noble. If I'd paid the higher price I'd definitely return it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.