Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

chaplin 11 disc set region B for $45

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 12-29-16, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like the complete set of Chaplin feature films - from the kid to King in New york in high def! 11 discs of Chaplin goodness. Never seen this in the US and for $45 it works out to about $4 a disk!

Again, this REGION B.. you need a region free player to get this.. but for those who do, this is a real bargain...

Much cheaper than Amazon.co.uk...

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-cha.../11160289.html
Old 12-30-16, 09:27 AM
Cool New Member

Re: chaplin 11 disc set region B for $45

Nice collection. Beware of Zavvi's shipping packing, however. They pack their steelbooks well in a box, but I received Napoleon in a thin bubble envelope and the packaging was crushed and a disc loose when it arrived in the US shipped from the UK.
Old 12-30-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Price might be appealing but for a reason - these aren't Criterion style restorations, several titles have been observed to be poor upres'es. Head over to the bluray.com forum for member comments on this title
Old 12-30-16, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I have that set and the feature films themselves aren't upscaled. The transfers are great. If anything is upscaled it could be some of the special features but for $45 that's a great deal.

I don't know where folks got the notion that they've been upscaled.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 12-30-16 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-30-16, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I have that set and the features themselves aren't upscaled. The transfers are great. If anything is upscaled it could be some of the special features but for $45 that's a great deal.

I don't know where folks got the notion that they've been upscaled.
Thanks for the update. Since there's no official review on bluray.com, member comments was the only feedback available.

EDIT: One member's comments on bluray.com forum:

Both Park Circus and AE use the MK2 masters, which generally equates to "old restorations", some of them being upscales, like The Kid or The Circus (which I'm still very eager to replace...). The Great Dictator is the only one on par with the Criterion (the Italian disc too; note: neither of them sport the recent 4k resto, methinks).
Also, they are often framed in 1.33 and not 1.37. City Lights is not in the 1.19 ratio.
In short, the way to go is Criterion.

Another member's comments:

.....the separate Chaplin Revue Blu-ray is missing many of the First National non-revue shorts! It's quite obvious they did this because of the "marketing push" of the 11-disc box set which has the rest of the non-revue shorts scattered around various discs. It's not the first time a company does this kind of FU to buyers, hopefully if people would start boycotting these companies/products, one day we'd see it stopping. They even didn't bother to include subtitles to the boxset, not even English, let alone other subs. Well, that makes it more easy not to buy any of the products this company makes.

If you want all First National shorts in one package, you'll have to buy the 2-DVD package from Mk2/Warner
Old 12-30-16, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Thanks for the update. Since there's no official review on bluray.com, member comments was the only feedback available.

EDIT: One member's comments on bluray.com forum:

Both Park Circus and AE use the MK2 masters, which generally equates to "old restorations", some of them being upscales, like The Kid or The Circus (which I'm still very eager to replace...). The Great Dictator is the only one on par with the Criterion (the Italian disc too; note: neither of them sport the recent 4k resto, methinks).
Also, they are often framed in 1.33 and not 1.37. City Lights is not in the 1.19 ratio.
In short, the way to go is Criterion.

Another member's comments:

.....the separate Chaplin Revue Blu-ray is missing many of the First National non-revue shorts! It's quite obvious they did this because of the "marketing push" of the 11-disc box set which has the rest of the non-revue shorts scattered around various discs. It's not the first time a company does this kind of FU to buyers, hopefully if people would start boycotting these companies/products, one day we'd see it stopping. They even didn't bother to include subtitles to the boxset, not even English, let alone other subs. Well, that makes it more easy not to buy any of the products this company makes.

If you want all First National shorts in one package, you'll have to buy the 2-DVD package from Mk2/Warner

I saw those comments and was like WTF are they talking about?

Also, the fact that it's been out for like 1.5 years already and there's only 2 forum member comments saying this makes me believe that they're full of crap or that they don't even own the set.
Old 12-30-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

I don't know, the caps at DVDBeaver look pretty upscaley to me. Whatever the reason, the Criterion is a pretty massive upgrade.
Old 12-30-16, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I saw those comments and was like WTF are they talking about?

Also, the fact that it's been out for like 1.5 years already and there's only 2 forum member comments saying this makes me believe that they're full of crap or that they don't even own the set.
so those comments ain't valid, you say ? are you saying the set's a go for purchase ?
Old 12-30-16, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I don't know, the caps at DVDBeaver look pretty upscaley to me. Whatever the reason, the Criterion is a pretty massive upgrade.
Night and day difference. And the AR is off as well, on the Artificial Eye content. Thanks
Old 12-30-16, 12:38 PM

hmm.. wish I read the beaver review first.

I still think - for the price - its a good bargain. Decent - not great - transfers at a bargain. To get all the criterion versions would easily be 4 to 6x the cost... my pockets aren't that big.

I'll let you know when the set comes in...
Old 12-30-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

To be fair, that Beaver review only applies to The Kid. The Circus is the other one that's mentioned as being an upscale. The caps seem to support that, but Criterion hasn't released it yet. All of the others films seem to be much closer in quality to the Criterions. For the money, it's probably a good deal and you can always upgrade The Kid separately if it bothers you too much.
Old 12-30-16, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
so those comments ain't valid, you say ? are you saying the set's a go for purchase ?
Hell yeah. Buy buy buy! $45 for an 11 disc set - it's a great deal.

Granted, I also have the editions from Park Circus, Criterion. I do not own the ones Flicker Alley out out due to cost.