TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shut Eye (Hulu) -- S: Jeffrey Donovan -- Series Thread -- Premieres 12/7/16

Old 12-06-16, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Shut Eye (Hulu) -- S: Jeffrey Donovan -- Series Thread -- Premieres 12/7/16

SPTV_ShutEye-650x963_FULL
free image hosting

Charlie Haverford (Jeffrey Donovan) is a scammer with a small chain of fortune-telling storefronts and contracts building tricks for a family that controls the business in the greater chunk of Los Angeles. A blow to the head from a client's angry boyfriend intersects with a hypnosis session while auditioning a new "clairvoyant," and suddenly, a man whose entire life has been based on fraud begins to see and feel some very real and fundamental truths. Charlie's wife Linda (KaDee Strickland) is sick and tired of their mediocre life and wants to break away from Fonso (Angus Sampson), the single father who runs the Marks family's psychic empire and controls the Haverford's future. Isabella Rossellini co-stars as Rita, the cunning, seductive and sadistic matriarch of the Marks clan.

10 episode 1st season

All episodes will be available as of 3:01am ET on Wednesday

Trailer:

This is a new Hulu original series.

Hulu original dramas don't seem to be really popular here. The Path and 11.22.63 got moderate attention. Chance with Hugh Laurie from House, which premiered less than 2 months ago has really gotten no attention at all. I guess most of you have really full DVRs and are barely staying caught up with regular TV. That sort of applies to me. I've only seen a few episodes of Chance, but will re-visit it when I get some time and get caught up.

I loved Donovan on Burn Notice and I like Kadee Strickland as well. Want to try this, but not sure when though.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-07-16 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-09-16, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Shut Eye (Hulu) -- S: Jeffrey Donovan -- Series Thread -- Premieres 12/7/16

Watched the pilot, it's psychic mafia with bit of a twist. Nicely shot, definitely a more serious take on the fake psychic genre, it kind of reminds me of The Riches.

I don't have much to watch now so I'll stick with it. As with Hulu's Casual, the cast is just thoroughly recognizable, had no idea Emmanuelle Chriqui, Angus Sampson, David Zayas were regulars. Also like Casual, some nice Strickland tits, and lesbian scenes.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-09-16 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-10-16, 12:52 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Hulu seems to be 1080p on most platforms for some of it's originals (and a few movies). 4k on the PS4 Pro and XBOX One S as well. Still 2.0 audio tho.
Old 03-20-17, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Renewed for a second season
Old 12-06-17, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Well pretty obvious that no one is watching in this forum.

But, FYI season 2 was posted today on Hulu. All 10 episodes.

Trailer:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9AOPSklSI-8" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This link has the plot summaries for all 10 episodes.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2017/10/sh...ser-promo.html

I haven't even started season 1 yet. I just have so much on my plate and streaming series like this have low priority. I'm already so behind on many Netflix originals.
Old 12-08-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I really wanted to like this. But I couldn't separate Jeffrey Donovan from Michael Weston in my mind. The new character is such a polar opposite that I instantly didn't like him. It's also hard to identify with a group of protagonists who are con artists. Or to feel angst against antagonists who want to punish con artists.
Old 12-23-17, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 5 episodes in, and I like it so far. The only thing is that I'm not too big on is the intro song, because it sounds like a rip-off of The Sopranos theme. That is just a mild distraction to me that doesn't really affect my watching. I like a lot of the characters, and I can foresee a lot of bad things happening to a lot of the cast.
Old 01-01-18, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, into Season 2, the theme song is changed, so my problem has been solved. I look forward to this chat I will have with myself every 10 days or so.