Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 03-12-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

In an interview with USA Today, James Cameron revealed that Fox is considering a theatrical rerelease of Avatar in the fall, possibly in an extended cut. This might affect the 3D Blu-ray release of the movie, although Cameron is still hoping for a fall street date. The Canadian filmmaker is highly enthusiastic about 3D, but he also warned the industry against the temptation to "put bad 3D in the marketplace." He is okay with converting 2D content to 3D but only "if it's done well" and preferably "driven by the artist." Indeed, he intends to convert Titanicto 3D for a theatrical rerelease in 2012. He also expects to start working soon on the Blu-ray release of The Abyss and True Lies.

Regarding 3D in general, Cameron said: "We've demonstrated that the 3D market is an extremely lucrative market and this is not a fad." Admittedly, the arrival of 3D TVs will change the situation once again, but he expected them to take a while to catch on because "there isn't enough content."

Cameron expects people will buy 3D TVs because of future-proofing. "If they're going to buy a 55- or 65-inch monitor they want to make a decision that they're going to feel good about three or four years from now. But right now we've got a content gap."

That lack of 3D content for the home can't be filled by movies, because "we can't make them fast enough. So it's going to have be filled by live production or near-live production." He revealed that live 3D television is relatively cheap; however, any visual effects work done in 3D gets "a significant uptick in the cost of production."

With theaters, the problem is the opposite: the industry is generating the content "but the screens weren't there." In his opinion, more 3D theater screens are needed because "now you're going to have film coming upon film coming upon film."

Cameron made a thinly-veiled jab at Warner Brothers for their 3D conversion of Clash of the Titans, thinking they could do in eight weeks what took several years for the Avatar team. "If people put bad 3D in the marketplace," Cameron quipped, "they're going to hold back or even threaten the emerging of 3D. People will be confused by differences in quality." The audience doesn't know if there is something wrong with the glasses, the TV or the production.

When asked if existing films should be converted to 3D, Cameron was in favor, but if it's done well. "I think it should be driven by the artist," he opined. If the director is no longer alive, the people that own the library have the right to do it, "particularly if they own the rights to all media." However, not all content can be converted to 3D economically. And "if you use some automated process or some cost-effective process for that type of programming its going to look like crap. It's like colorization looked like crap." At any rate, converted films can't look as good as if you shot it in 3D. "Think of it as sort of 2.8D," he illustrated. Regarding the time needed for a 3D conversion, Cameron guessed that six months to a year were needed "to do it right."

A 3D version of Titanic is in the cards for a release in spring of 2012, 100 years after the sailing of the ship.

As to the burning question of when Avatar is coming out on 3D Blu-ray, he said: "We're not officially announcing it right now but I'm hoping for fall." A new development is that the movie might be rereleased this fall, as there might be untapped demand for the movie in theaters because it lost many 3D screens when Alice in Wonderlandopened. He and the studio are talking about putting in additional footage. According to The Hollywood Reporter, there are about 10-12 minutes of extra scenes which were cut relatively late and should be ready to add to a possible extended cut: one scene has to do with Jake Sully's avatar proving himself to the Na'vi people; the other involves a native festival during which tribe member Tsu'tey gets drunk.

In other news, during the Samsung launch event, James Cameron was asked about his future plans. Cameron confirmed that, apart from the 3D Titanicproject, his other projects this year involved bringing The Abyssand True Liesto Blu-ray. That doesn't mean that both or any of those movies will be released during 2010, but at least work is going to begin on them this year.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4282
Old 03-12-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Nice. In for both the Abyss and True Lies on BD.
Old 03-12-10, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Cameron confirmed that, apart from the 3D Titanic project, his other projects this year involved bringing The Abyss and True Lies to Blu-ray. That doesn't mean that both or any of those movies will be released during 2010, but at least work is going to begin on them this year.
That's the most important info in that article to me.
Old 03-12-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Yup. True Lies and The Abyss are what have excited. I never much cared for Titanic (aside from the wonderful recreation of the titular ship) and I don't care for 3D conversion in post.
Old 03-12-10, 02:03 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really not that into 3D for home environments, but I did see Avatar in 3D, and I would be interested in any of those 3. (4 if you include Avatar)
Old 03-12-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Def in for Abyss & TL on Blu. I'd prob go see Avatar again if they did a re-release with more footage. I agree that they lost out on much more money by losing theaters to AIW. Not that I think they need any more, but the demand is obviously still there.
Old 03-12-10, 02:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Fuck, seriously? We want Titanic in 3D???

Happy about him actually acknowledging True Lies and Abyss.
Old 03-12-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Abyss has been one of my most wanted Blu-Rays since the beginning of Blu-Ray.
Old 03-12-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
At any rate, converted films can't look as good as if you shot it in 3D.
Hence, why I have no interest in any of this "makeshift created from 2D" crap...

I saw Avatar in 3D because it was SHOT in 3D....it looked right that way since it was made with true 3D cameras....before the film, there was a "3D" trailer for Alice that just didn't look nearly as good....the 3D effect just looked very fake and unconvincing compared to what followed....
To me, converted to 3D films is like the cinematic equivalent of DVD upconversion....just like that pales in comparison to true high definition (since you can't truly create more resolution then what is already there), so does converted footage pale in comparison to that which was actually shot in 3D....

Just like why I have no interest in seeing any films in IMAX other than The Dark Knight that actually SHOT scenes in IMAX....
Old 03-12-10, 04:09 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Abyss has been one of my most wanted Blu-Rays since the beginning of Blu-Ray.
Same here. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-12-10, 09:09 PM

I guess we don't need to worry about an anamorphic Abyss standard DVD rerelease anymore...
Old 03-12-10, 11:37 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Titanic in 3D might be alright. Id rather see Aliens get the treatment though...despite being dated.
Old 03-13-10, 03:22 AM

An Avatar re-release would be great if it means they will finance the completion of the SFX of the 35+ minutes of cut content
Old 03-13-10, 06:27 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so what was cut wasn't finished? I saw some snapshots of scenes I had never seen. I thought he completed everything. Guess not.
Old 03-13-10, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
so what was cut wasn't finished? I saw some snapshots of scenes I had never seen. I thought he completed everything. Guess not.
Pretty much everything from the 2007 script that was cut was filmed and motion captured. However they would most likely not have had much CG work done on them as Cameron would have known from the start that he would have to fit the film in an IMAX timeframe (~165 minutes)

The few scenes that were cut and were finished were the opening intro on Earth, and a scene from the end of the film between Jake and Tsu'tey.

Last edited by Labor; 03-13-10 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-13-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterHowie
I guess we don't need to worry about an anamorphic Abyss standard DVD rerelease anymore...
I've been without this and TL for so long I'm not sure I even care anymore
Old 03-13-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Along with others, very excited about True Lies and The Abyss. Also interested in the extended Avatar. Yeah, I'm a JC fan.
Old 03-14-10, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

An Avatar re-release, and Titanic 3D? They might as well and go ahead and give Cameron his own vault at the bank. The public will eat those up.
Old 03-14-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

Hopefully some extras for True Lies will finally surface, since there was supposed to be a SE DVD but got cancelled after 9/11 happened.
Old 03-14-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterHowie
No, but I imagine they'll release one at the same time as the BD.

BTW, True Lies was released on D-VHS, some time around 2002. I guess Fox had done an HD transfer and felt they should use it for something other than TV.
Old 03-14-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Why the hell do we need Titanic in 3D?? It's a good movie but I'm sick of these movies that weren't shot for 3D being converted into 3D for no reason.
Old 03-15-10, 09:06 AM

I would be interested in Titanic in HD as long as they do a great job on the transfer(PQ & SQ). I'm in the minority here and don't care for 3D,it's a big gimmick IMO and not why I go see a movie. I thought the movie was great because it had a very good creative storyline,cinematography and the acting very good also. I felt the PQ & SQ transfer was done very well and hoping they do as good a job on BD.
Old 03-15-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
I would be interested in Titanic in HD as long as they do a great job on the transfer(PQ & SQ). I'm in the minority here and don't care for 3D,it's a big gimmick IMO and not why I go see a movie. I thought the movie was great because it had a very good creative storyline,cinematography and the acting very good also. I felt the PQ & SQ transfer was done very well and hoping they do as good a job on BD.
I completely agree with that statement. I would love to have it on HD, but the 3D aspect is absolutely retarded. Companies are going to start re-releasing movies in 3D now for what purpose? Oh, to make more money on gullible people who think it's something new and exciting when in reality it's not.
Old 03-16-10, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Hopefully some extras for True Lies will finally surface, since there was supposed to be a SE DVD but got cancelled after 9/11 happened.
I got sooo fucking desperate to just OWN it I got the DVD. Even w/ the pic quality...I still enjoy it. Damn fun film. Cameron knows how to pack a punch w/ Live-action action. You just feel it.
Old 03-16-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw Titanic once in the theater, and it's been one of my most special films ever since. If Cameron, who believes in 3-D only if done right, is truly impressed by the rendering test they've performed, I'm definitely interested, and will be in the theater once again in 2012.

Likewise, I saw Avatar only once in 3-D, and would love to have that experience again, so I would be completely in favor of it returning to the big screen in an extended cut.

Never seen The Abyss, nor have I ever cared to, but given that I'm a fan of most of Cameron's work, I am curious about it now. Don't expect to buy it, would just like to see it. And, like everyone else, I've been waiting on a new True Lies for ages, so I'm excited that work has begun.

Great things on the horizon.

--THX

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.