Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's Beauty and the Beast (2017, D: Bill Condon) S: Emma Watson, Dan Stevens

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's Beauty and the Beast (2017, D: Bill Condon) S: Emma Watson, Dan Stevens

Old 06-04-14, 08:44 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

With the recent release of “Maleficent,” which grossed more than $170 million worldwide in its opening weekend, Disney is working fast on its next live-action fairy-tale adaptation.

Bill Condon is set to direct a live-action version of “Beauty and the Beast” for Disney.

Evan Spiliotopoulos is writing the script with Mandeville Films producing.

The studio’s 1991 animated feature version of “Beauty and the Beast” grossed more than $375 million worldwide, spawned a Broadway play and became one of the few animated pics to receive a best picture Oscar nomination.

Disney has been on a roll lately thanks to successful updates of literary classics like “Alice and Wonderland” and “The Wizard of Oz” and reinventions of its own stories into big box office hits. The Mouse House is also developing a live-action version of “The Jungle Book,” which has Jon Favreau directing, and its “Cinderella,” helmed by Kenneth Branagh, is set to bow next March.

Condon is best known for his hit feature adaptation of the musical “Dreamgirls,” and his experience in helming a film with strong musical elements will help this film, which could very easily go down that path. Condon also penned the script to the widely successful adaptation of musical “Chicago.”

He also delivered two of the best reviewed films in the “Twilight” series and most recently adapted the script to Fox’s “The Greatest Showman on Earth.” Condon is repped by WME, Anonymous Content and Alexander, Lawrence, Frumes & Labowitz.
Old 06-04-14, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts
Re: Disney's Beauty and the Beast (D: Bill Condon)

Meh.
Old 06-04-14, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

How about Miley Cyrus in an R-rated version of Snow White?
Old 06-05-14, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I'm waiting on Christophe Gans' version, with Vincent Cassell as The Beast.
Old 06-05-14, 01:08 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would love to see those successful adaptations of Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz. I saw some shitty, awful adaptations instead.
Old 06-05-14, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't like The Wizard of Oz?!
Old 06-05-14, 08:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

He's talking about the recent flicks mentioned in the article.
Old 06-05-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
He's talking about the recent flicks mentioned in the article.
To be fair,Supermallet confused the point by saying "adaptations" instead of "updates" as the article used. Realistically, they were live-action sequels or prequels to the existing properties.

I think both the live-action "Alice in Wonderland" and "The Great and Powerful Oz" were financially successful, if not critically. At least they had the sequel/prequel angle, while Maleficent at least had the angle of telling the tale from the villain's point of view.

Beauty and the Beast seems trickier in that regard, since the prospect of either a sequel or prequel seems unappealing, and there's not really a villain's point of view, at least not a compelling one. That pretty much leaves a straight-up remake of the original story, but live action.
Old 06-05-14, 09:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
How about Miley Cyrus in an R-rated version of Snow White?
I'd pick a Demi Lovato one anytime over her.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm waiting on Christophe Gans' version, with Vincent Cassell as The Beast.
I'm sorely tempted to get this from Amazon France. I thought the trailer was very good. At the very least visually impressive.
Old 06-05-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great, how much longer until we get a live-action version of The Lion King
Old 06-05-14, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Great, how much longer until we get a live-action version of The Lion King
Old 06-05-14, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

As tempting as this might be for Disney. There is no way they can capture what has made the animated version the classic that is today.
Old 06-05-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Rick Baker should do the Beast's make-up FX.
Old 06-05-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't that nice? Disney is throwing a bone to the female movie-goers.
Old 06-05-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think Rick Baker should do the Beast's make-up FX.
Just like he was suppose to do the make-up for The Wolfman.
Old 06-06-14, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Johnston remake? I thought he did do the makeup for that?
Old 06-06-14, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The Johnston remake? I thought he did do the makeup for that?
There was a lot of practical work that was planned for the transformation scenes. I was at the Comic-con panel that Rick Baker was the participant. He was lamenting that the studio wanted more CGI. You could tell he wasn't happy. He was fighting for more practical effects with the studio but, at that time, he knew he was losing the battle.
Old 06-06-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Just like he was suppose to do the make-up for The Wolfman.
He did do the FX work, though. Granted, not the transformation FX but the finished Wolfman suit was all Baker.
Old 06-06-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, sorry for not wording that correctly. It just would've been great to see the transformation he was planning with practicals. To see how the craft has advanced in the hands of a master-craftsman.

With that said, I shall return the conversation back to BatB.
Old 06-07-14, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So, is this going to be an adaption of the Broadway show, or something else? I might be interested if it's the stage show, but otherwise I don't think so - especially if it's some "modern, edgy" take.
Old 06-07-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

The Cocteau version was already a little creepy.
Old 06-09-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
To be fair,Supermallet confused the point by saying "adaptations" instead of "updates" as the article used. Realistically, they were live-action sequels or prequels to the existing properties.

I think both the live-action "Alice in Wonderland" and "The Great and Powerful Oz" were financially successful, if not critically. At least they had the sequel/prequel angle, while Maleficent at least had the angle of telling the tale from the villain's point of view.

Beauty and the Beast seems trickier in that regard, since the prospect of either a sequel or prequel seems unappealing, and there's not really a villain's point of view, at least not a compelling one. That pretty much leaves a straight-up remake of the original story, but live action.
This isn't going to be called "Gaston?"
Old 06-09-14, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
So, is this going to be an adaption of the Broadway show, or something else? I might be interested if it's the stage show, but otherwise I don't think so - especially if it's some "modern, edgy" take.
its disney, only so far they can go w "edgy"

They should get Hugh Jackman to play Gaston & sing the Gaston song from the animated movie
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VuJTqmpBnI0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-26-15, 10:57 AM

“Harry Potter” alum Emma Watson has closed a deal to star in Disney’s live-action musical “Beauty and the Beast,” TheWrap has learned.

Bill Condon (“The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn”) will direct from a script written by Stephen Chbosky, who directed Watson in “The Perks of Being a Wallflower.” Evan Spiliotopoulos wrote the previous draft of the screenplay.

David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman are producing under their Mandeville Films banner.

Watson is set to play Belle in “Beauty and the Beast,” which is the latest Disney classic to receive a live-action adaptation following “Maleficent,” “Cinderella” and Jon Favreau‘s upcoming take on “The Jungle Book.”

Watson had previously been attached to star in Guillermo del Toro’s “Beauty,” which the director was developing for Warner Bros. before exiting the project in June, when Disney hired Condon. When WB’s version hit a snag, Disney began to court Watson for its own adaptation with del Toro’s blessing, as the studio agreed that Watson would be perfect as Belle, according to a source.

Watson shared her excitement on Facebook as soon as TheWrap broke the news. “I’m finally able to tell you … that I will be playing Belle in Disney’s new live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’! It was such a big part of my growing up, it almost feels surreal that I’ll get to dance to ‘Be Our Guest’ and sing ‘Something There’. My six-year-old self is on the ceiling — heart bursting. Time to start some singing lessons. I can’t wait for you to see it. Emma xx.”

Disney’s 1991 animated feature “Beauty and the Beast” grossed more than $375 million worldwide and earned a rare Oscar nomination for Best Picture. The timeless tale also spawned a Broadway play.

Best known for playing Hermione Granger in the “Harry Potter” films, Watson has worked hard to establish herself as an actress outside of the blockbuster franchise. She recently starred in Darren Aronofsky’s “Noah” and Sofia Coppola’s “The Bling Ring,” and she also played herself in the hit comedy “This Is the End”

Watson next stars opposite Ethan Hawke in Alejandro Amenabar’s thriller “Regression.” She’s s represented by WME and Markham, Froggatt and Irwin.
http://www.thewrap.com/emma-watson-t...ast-exclusive/
Old 01-26-15, 11:05 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Disney's Beauty and the Beast (D: Bill Condon) S: Emma Watson

....Hrmmm. I like Watson..but am not impressed by Disney's live action takes on certain things they've done for the more recent.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.