Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Good Fight (spinoff of The Good Wife) -- CBS All-Access -- Premieres 2/19/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Good Fight (spinoff of The Good Wife) -- CBS All-Access -- Premieres 2/19/17

Old 05-12-16, 04:51 PM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts

Sources say CBS is in final negotiations to set up a spinoff of “The Good Wife” focusing on Christine Baranski’s Diane Lockhart character that would air on CBS All Access.

Actress Cush Jumbo, who joined the “Good Wife” cast in the show’s seventh and final season, is also expected to star in the spinoff. Sources cautioned that the deal is still in negotiations for a straight-to-series order and may not come to fruition. “Good Wife” co-creators/exec producers Robert and Michelle King would likely co-write the project with another “Good Wife” alum and serve as showrunners on the series.

Word that CBS is serious talks for a spinoff surfaced less than a week after “Good Wife” wrapped its Emmy-winning run on May 8. The series closer generated much discussion about the fate of its central characters and the denouement between Baranski’s Lockhart and Julianna Margulies’ Alicia Florrick. Jumbo, a British actress known for her work on stage and in the U.K. series “Torchwood,” signed on at the start of the final season, playing a sharp, no-nonsense attorney who became a friend and confidant of Florrick.

If the project comes to fruition, it would be a significant piece of business for CBS on two fronts. It would extend the “Good Wife” aura that has been a source of prestige for the Eye, and it would mark the second high-profile original series to be developed for the CBS All Access SVOD service. CBS already has a new rendition of “Star Trek” set to beam up on All Access in January. A “Good Wife” spinoff with Baranski would be another marquee property to help drive subscriptions to the service, which sells for $6 a month. Sending the spinoff to All Access rather than the mothership network is a sign of CBS’ determination to invest in All Access as a distinct programming platform.

Discussions for Baranski’s “Good Wife” spinoff are believed to have in the works for some time. Throughout pilot season, Baranski was the first choice for many lead roles in dramas and comedies across multiple broadcast networks, though she turned down all the offers, even one particular project that was extremely high-profile. Her team likely had the spinoff in mind when nixing offers parts for the newly-available star.

In addition to the “Good Wife” spinoff, the Kings have an offbeat horror dramedy, “BrainDead,” set to bow on June 13. The series stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead as a young woman who gets a job on Capitol Hill only to discover that zombies are eating the brains of many in Congress.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-...ss-1201772883/
Old 05-12-16, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: ‘The Good Wife’ Spinoff to Star Christine Baranski, Cush Jumbo in Negotiations at

Cush Jumbo is very good looking, and that is her real name.
Old 05-12-16, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: ‘The Good Wife’ Spinoff to Star Christine Baranski, Cush Jumbo in Negotiations at

I would give the show a try, if it weren't on CBS All Access.
Old 05-13-16, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I would give the show a try, if it weren't on CBS All Access.
Hulu
Old 05-13-16, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved Baranski, but thought the Lucca character was one of the low points of the past season.

Would have preferred an Eli or Cary spin-off.
Old 05-18-16, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,540 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...source=twitter

Officially greenlit. Will air exclusively on CBS All-Access. Robert and Michelle King will write the Pilot, but won't be showrunners. Guess no one here will be watching?

dex14, can you tweak the thread title until the show gets an official name mentioning it's now on CBS All-Access?
Old 05-18-16, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvline.com/2016/05/18/the-goo...ess-time-jump/

Will premiere Spring 2017 and pick up 1 year after the events of The Good Wife.

I love the comments from TGW fans. Most are interested in watching, but nobody wants to pay for CBS All-Access. Pretty much everyone says they already pay enough for entertainment.
Old 09-17-16, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

re: The Good Fight (spinoff of The Good Wife) -- CBS All-Access -- Premieres 2/19/17

http://tvline.com/2016/09/17/the-goo...-returns-cast/

CBS’ Good Wife spinoff just got a lot more sarcastic.
TVLine has learned exclusively that Sarah Steele is set to reprise her role as Eli Gold’s hilariously sardonic daughter Marissa in the digital-only offshoot — and as a full-fledged series regular to boot. News of her casting comes just days after it was formally announced that Good Wife creators Robert and Michelle King will not only exec-produce the drama, but serve as showrunners as well.

As we reported, the spinoff — debuting in February 2017 on CBS, before moving exclusively to CBS All Access — will pick up one year after Diane KO’d Alicia in last May’s incendiary Good Wife series finale.
Old 10-31-16, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk God

re: The Good Fight (spinoff of The Good Wife) -- CBS All-Access -- Premieres 2/19/17

Spinoff will be called "The Good Fight"

http://deadline.com/2016/10/the-good...ns-1201845641/

The Kings will also be the showrunners now since Braindead got cancelled.

Erica Tazel rounds out the cast, joining Christine Baranski, Cush Jumbo, Rose Leslie, Delroy Lindo, Sarah Steele, Paul Guilfoyle, and Bernadette Peters. The series will premiere in February with a special broadcast on the CBS Television Network, then move exclusively to CBS All Access. Executive Producer Brooke Kennedy is directing the premiere episode.

The Good Fight picks up one year after the events of the final broadcast episode of The Good Wife. In the new series, an enormous financial scam has destroyed the reputation of a young lawyer, Maia, while simultaneously wiping out her mentor Diane Lockhart’s savings. Forced out of Lockhart & Lee, they join Lucca Quinn at one of Chicago’s pre-eminent law firms.

The Good Wife creators/executive producers return as showrunners and exec producers of the new series. Phil Alden Robinson co-wrote and will executive produce the premiere episode with the Kings. Ridley Scott, David Zucker, Liz Glotzer, Brooke Kennedy and Alison Cross also serve as executive producers. The series is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Scott Free Productions and King Size Productions. The series will be distributed worldwide by CBS Studios International.
Old 12-18-16, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk God

1st promo:

Premieres February 19th

Can we get a thread title update?

Old 12-18-16, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Didnt realize Rose Leslie was in this. I may have to find a way to watch it.
Old 01-09-17, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Good Fight (spinoff of The Good Wife) -- CBS All-Access -- Premieres 2/19/17

1st full trailer:

Looks like Diane lost all her money in a ponzi scheme and that will be one of the stories.

They do make a quick unnamed reference to Alicia in the trailer.

I saw lots of comments on The Good Wife Facebook page with fans furious that this is a CBS All-Access exclusive. Just like those Star Trek fans.

I read that they will have cursing in this show. Christine Baranski supposedly drops an F bomb in the 1st episode, but the CBS version (the 1st episode will air there) it will be edited out.
Old 02-19-17, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Good Fight (spinoff of The Good Wife) -- CBS All-Access -- Premieres 2/19/17

Bump

So episode 1 premieres tonight on CBS at 8pm ET. 10 episode season.

The Unedited version will also be available on CBS All-Access tonight at the same time.

Future episodes will only be available on CBS All-Access. This will be posted weekly.

If you read both The Good Wife and The Good Fight Facebook pages as I mentioned above, there are some really disappointed and angry people complaining about this whole exclusive arraignment. Most say I pay enough for TV and streaming services and don't want to pay more to watch just 1 show. I would say at least 80% of the comments are complainers.

I guess I'll be the only one watching since I'm probably the only one here who subscribes to CBS All-Access.
Old 02-20-17, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

they have a free preview of all access I think i heard them say. Any idea if this will be available for a while? would love to catch as many episodes as possible during the free preview if it can be gotten toward the end of the run.
Old 02-20-17, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk God

That was a fantastic first episode. I watched the Uncut version on All-Access. There was at least 5-6 F bombs dropped.

after the 20 minute open when Diane said "Fuck" when she realizes she is broke.

I felt bad for her after she got ostracized for her involvement with Maya's Family and basically got black balled all across the city. She got lucky that Delroy Lindo's character saved her ass.

Glad they brought back Kurt McVay to at least tie up some loose ends with their relationship.

And David Lee was still a fucking dick like he was in The Good Wife.

at Lucca telling that guy to Fuck off for pestering Maya. That was great.

Looks like pretty much the entire creative team from The Good Wife is back on this series. Episode 2 is already available. I'll probably check it out tomorrow.

They did mention Alicia in passing and Diane looked at a picture of Will. But I read there are no plans for Alicia to appear on this series.
Old 02-20-17, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

I liked it, but not enough to get All-Access.

I'm sure they'll re-run it on CBS in a year or so.
Old 02-20-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk God

I liked how they added audio in post production of Donald Trump's inauguration day swearing in and Diane's reaction. I'm guessing The Good Fight producers were pretty sure he was going to win. I guess she was fed up to leave the country to go to France.
Old 02-20-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Baranski said on Colbert that they added that scene AFTER the election and had fake inauguration audio put on it.

A good start - watched the broadcast version that only had 1 censored f word - will have to track down the uncut one - this is airing in Canada on the W network, so I will watch week to week. A good start, different feel than The Good Wife but not in a bad way.
Old 02-26-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

An interesting question brought up by a TV fan regarding "The Good Fight" and eventually "Star Trek: Discovery"

This person thinks that these exclusive shows being only distributed on exclusive streaming services is setting a bad precedent for TV. I'm sure many feel this way as the costs for entertainment or already quite high.

http://www.tvinsider.com/128238/ask-...less-and-more/

Question: Mine is not a question so much as an opinion on the upcoming The Good Wife spinoff The Good Fight—not on the show itself, though I feel that it will be a very good show since so many people from The Good Wife are returning, but the fact that we will have to pay CBS extra money for the privilege of being able to view the show at all. Feel free to call me a Chicken Little, but I just want to quietly suggest that people should consider the ramifications of shows such as The Good Fight and the upcoming Star Trek: Discovery series becoming legitimate hits for CBS's All Access channel.

My biggest fear would be that if this endeavor becomes successful for CBS, how long will it be before ABC, NBC, Fox or even The CW decides to give this idea a whirl and withhold some key new series or, heaven forbid, move a successful current series to an All Access channel of their own. I for one feel that we already have more than enough streaming services with original programming of their own to pay for (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu) and certainly don't need the major networks to get in on this action as well. I hope that The Good Fight is indeed a great show, but I just can't bring myself to pay out more money just to watch one show. I believe that this is a very slippery slope that we are standing at the edge of, and I don't think I want to take that leap. I can't wish CBS good luck with this new business model of theirs—but I do hope that they'll release the box set at some point. - Terry

Matt Roush: As you’d expect, I got quite a bit of mail on this subject with similar concerns, though most were like Schatzi, who simply wrote: “I enjoyed the premiere of The Good Fight, and I am sad that I will not be able to see future episodes. I have no intention of subscribing to CBS All Access just to see that program. First they foist Bull on us, then tease us with The Good Fight. What are they thinking?”

Well, obviously they’re thinking and hoping these two original series will drive traffic to and increase brand awareness of their subscription/On Demand/archival service. The other major broadcast networks are aligned with Hulu for distribution of their current shows, and if they start producing premium material exclusively for subscribers, you might have actual cause for concern. I figure shows like The Good Fight and Star Trek: Discovery will still be the exception, but what rankles me as a critic is that CBS is putting its best efforts—no offense to its everyday formula programming, which is quite popular— behind a paywall, while settling for uninspired remakes (MacGyver, Training Day) over the air. On the other hand, for all of its acclaim, The Good Wife was never a breakout hit, and the spinoff might never have happened without this option of turning it into a premium series with more adult content. (We’ll have to wait to see what makes Discovery so special, besides its built-in cult appeal.) As one of my friends pointed out, you could opt to wait for the show to air all of its episodes, then subscribe and give it a look, or maybe if this backfires, CBS will put the episodes on air or online, though I wouldn’t count on it.
Old 02-26-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

My biggest fear would be that if this endeavor becomes successful for CBS...
It won't. Most of the people in the demographic for a show like this (my parents) don't even know about stuff like All Access, and after telling them, they couldn't give two shits. They're not paying extra (they already pay $100 a month for their standard cable package) for one show, even a handful of shows. People have more TV than they have time for, and few to none are going to pay extra for something that's not already included in the packages they pay good money for.

Not to mention, for the around the same price of Netflix, All Access has a tiny fraction of the exclusive programming. It's just a losing proposition for the company all around. They'll ditch it as soon as they crunch the numbers.
Old 03-15-17, 01:41 PM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts

Renewed http://tvline.com/2017/03/15/the-goo...bs-all-access/
Old 03-15-17, 01:59 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts

I loved The Good Wife, and I thought the first episode of The Good Fight was good. If it was on the regular CBS channel I would watch, but I'm not getting CBS All Access. Not even for Star Trek Discovery, and I've been a Trekkie my whole life. Fuck CBS's cash grab. I hope both shows fail.
Old 03-15-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I figure this won't be on any streaming service I already subscribe to, or my cable service, but I wonder if it'd be available as an a la carte purchase such as iTunes or Amazon. I guess not, if it's only one of the carrots they have for the CBS service.

I was a huge fan of TGW during the middle years, but it really tailed off, which doesn't help my interest in this show.
Old 03-20-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This show is pretty good. Worth watching if you can.
Old 08-25-17, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by davidh777
I figure this won't be on any streaming service I already subscribe to, or my cable service, but I wonder if it'd be available as an a la carte purchase such as iTunes or Amazon. I guess not, if it's only one of the carrots they have for the CBS service.

I was a huge fan of TGW during the middle years, but it really tailed off, which doesn't help my interest in this show.
Now an iTunes exclusive. Of course that's like one of the only services I DON'T use.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.