Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

2016 Spring Simulcasts

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

2016 Spring Simulcasts

Old 03-31-16, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 Spring Simulcasts

THE ASTERISK WAR returns for its second season April 2, 2016! Watch the simulcast every Saturday only on Crunchyroll.
Watch on Crunchyroll http://www.crunchyroll.com/the-asterisk-war

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28pD4wkg5vM

Official website for more info - http://asteriskwar.com/

Last edited by chrisc31; 04-02-16 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-31-16, 11:25 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: 2016 Spring Simulcasts

I'm really looking forward to Flying Witch. I've been reading the manga for a while.

It should be a nice slow-paced, rural Japan slice-of-life show. It feels similar to Non Non Biyori and Encouragement of Climb.

TRAILER - https://youtu.be/f-aun7tETE4
Old 04-01-16, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'm really looking forward to Flying Witch.
I'll give that one a shot, along with Mayoiga, Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge, and Joker Game (which I hope is in the vein of Night Raid 1931). None of them are on Crunchyroll's calendar (yet).
Old 04-02-16, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Lost Village looks like it would be good. I just watched the first episode on Crunchyroll. http://www.crunchyroll.com/the-lost-village
Old 04-02-16, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

IDK... Mayoiga (The Lost Village) episode 1 was an utter borefest for me. If ep1 is any inkling as to what the rest of the show holds, I'm bailing early.
Old 04-04-16, 12:05 PM

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- was pretty interesting. I'll give it a couple more episodes before I make up my mind. But it has the potential to be a really good show.
Old 04-04-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just noticed God Eater 2nd season is now on Crunchyroll.
Old 04-07-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am going to watch Anne-Happy

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anne-happy

About the Show

A group of pitiable girls live their days with energy and cheer in this encouraging school comedy. All the students of Tennogofune Academy's Class 1-7 seem to be plagued by "bad karma," or misfortune. Hanakoizumi An the unlucky, Hibarigaoka Ruri of the tragic love stories, Kumegawa Botan with her perpetually poor health, Hagyuu Hibiki with her bad sense of direction, and Ekoda Ren with constant women troubles have just joined the class, and they're all doing their best to live their high school lives as happily as they can
Old 04-07-16, 05:43 PM

It's hard to judge shows based on the first episodes. But here's what I really liked so far:

My Hero Academia
Anne-Happy
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-
And you thought there is never a girl online?

I haven't made up my mind yet on these. I thought they were ok. I might give them a few more episodes:

Kumamiko -Girl Meets Bear
Joker Game
Bungo Stray Dogs
BAKUON!!

And I wasn't impressed with these. I probably won't watch any more:

Hundred
Pan de Peace

Also, I'm looking forward to watching these. But they haven't aired yet:

Flying Witch
Haifuri
Three Leaves, Three Colors
Old 04-07-16, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Just noticed God Eater 2nd season is now on Crunchyroll.
o.O There is only a single 13 episode series. Episode 9-13 got delayed last year and aired through March this year to finish the show.

---------------

Anyhow here's my take so far:
  • Endride - iffy episode 1... Possible Drop
  • Re:Zero - Seems like a mix between KonoSuba, Erased, and Grimgar just like people said. Definitely enjoyed ep 1. Good
  • Joker Game - Interesting ep 1, the mind game is decent. Good
  • Twin Star Exorcist - Story seems odd yet generic. Iffy first ep. Possible Drop
  • Bungou Stray Dogs - Wow was that terrible or what... Dropped
  • Kabaneri - Haven't watched yet
  • Big Order - Hasn't aired yet
  • Mayoiga - Bad ep 1 but still a lil intrigued so I'll check out ep 2. Possible Drop
  • Kiznaiver - It's Trigger so I'm not expecting much. It looks terrible, but synopsis is intriguing. Hasn't aired yet
  • Flying Witch - Hasn't aired yet

I have some hope that Kabaneri and Flying Witch will be great. Big Order I'm a little iffy on, but it is by the same author as The Future Diary (Mirai Nikki) which I really liked so I'm going to give it a chance. That OVA that came out last year though wasn't very good. Pretty much all of those that hadn't aired yet will have done so by this Sunday so I should be able to update my list by Monday or Tuesday depending on when I get the chance to catch up on the shows from the weekend as I'm usually too busy to watch stuff during that time.

Too many shows this season intrigued me but I by no means have the time or capacity to be able to sit down weekly to watch this many so I knew going in that a show would have to hit a certain interest level for me to keep going or I'd have to choose to drop it so I can find time to keep up with other shows and possibly watch at least one show in my back log (that hasn't ever gone away).

Endride is the only show above that is getting the Broadcast dub treatment, but I don't think I'm going to wait for it this go around. It'll be like another 5 weeks before that premieres and I'm unsure if I even want to invest in Endride to begin with.
Old 04-11-16, 07:32 PM

Also, I'm looking forward to watching these. But they haven't aired yet:

Flying Witch
Haifuri
Three Leaves, Three Colors
I enjoyed all 3 of these shows. I think my favorite was Three Leaves, Three Colors. I wasn't expecting much, and it turned out to be very charming.

I also really liked Flying Witch. Although I read the manga, so I knew I'd like it going in. The mandrake was hilarious.

I'm not totally sold on Haifuri yet. It seems like a Girls und Panzer wannabe. But I wasn't impressed with the characters or action. I'll give it a few more episodes.
Old 04-25-16, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think there's not much anime for me to watch in this Spring Simulcasts. So far, I'm watching three anime - Flying Witch, Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World, and Assassination Class (via Hulu).

I found Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World interesting at first two episodes, but after that - it's just meh and it's not as interesting as the first two episodes. But I'll keep watching - hoping it'll improve.
Old 04-25-16, 05:01 PM

I think there's not much anime for me to watch in this Spring Simulcasts. So far, I'm watching three anime - Flying Witch, Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World, and Assassination Class (via Hulu).
Have you checked out Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress? Somehow it wound up on Amazon Prime instead of the normal anime streaming sites. Most reviews are comparing it to Attack On Titan. I haven't watched it yet, but I plan to.

You should also check out My Hero Academia. My favorite series of the season. I love the manga, and the show's even better.
Old 04-25-16, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have you checked out Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress? Somehow it wound up on Amazon Prime instead of the normal anime streaming sites. Most reviews are comparing it to Attack On Titan. I haven't watched it yet, but I plan to.
Because ALL Noitama anime will be streamed on Amazon Prime exclusively from now on.

As for comparing it to AoT: because it's an anime-original series which borrows the foundation of AoT for it's own story and made by the same animation studio, under the same director, with the same script writer, and the same music composer. So pretty much 100% the same people responsible for AoT anime. Basically it was their answer to the lack of AoT Season 2 due to not having enough source material yet.
Old 04-25-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the suggestion, however, I don't subscribe Amazon Prime. Look like I have to add another subscription to my list...

Thank god, many shows that showed on Funimation are also on Hulu - that I don't have to subscribe Funimation.
Old 04-25-16, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the suggestion, however, I don't subscribe Amazon Prime. Look like I have to add another subscription to my list...

Thank god, many shows that showed on Funimation are also on Hulu - that I don't have to subscribe Funimation.
You technically don't 'have' to subscribe to FUNimation or Crunchyroll. You could just wait a week and watch it in SD since they allow that, but FUNimation doesn't do that with their Broadcast Dubs. You have to have a subscription for them.
Old 04-28-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I've been enjoying My Hero Academia's story, though everything that has happened so far has been predictable. I think I should like it more but I am not a huge fan of its manga-inspired animation or designs.
Old 05-02-16, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last night, I dove in Netflix for first time in a while and noticed a new anime series by Netflix called Ajin Demi Human.

Look like same people that made Knights of Sidonia anime.

The show seems intrigued...
Old 05-02-16, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

And you thought there is never a girl online? has too long of a name but is a really cute, humorous show.
Old 05-02-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last night, I dove in Netflix for first time in a while and noticed a new anime series by Netflix called Ajin Demi Human.

Look like same people that made Knights of Sidonia anime.

The show seems intrigued...
There is a trilogy movie series, two ovas, and a second season coming as well.
Old 05-02-16, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, wow. So, watching the series first is correct course of viewing, correct?
Old 05-22-16, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know i'm late but I started watching Hundred. Ill keep watching it but I think their are at least a dozen animes just like it. At least so far I like it more then Infinite Stratos.

Last edited by chrisc31; 05-22-16 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-22-16, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by chrisc31
I know i'm late but I started watching Hundred. Ill keep watching it but I think their are at least a dozen animes just like it. At least so far I like it more then Infinite Stratos.
I gave it 3-4 episodes, but eventually dropped it. It's just so generic. Every season there's 2-3 series just like it. Absolute Duo, World Break, Asterisk War, Blade Dance, Unlimited Fafnir, Dragonar Academy, etc.
Old 05-22-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I gave it 3-4 episodes, but eventually dropped it. It's just so generic. Every season there's 2-3 series just like it. Absolute Duo, World Break, Asterisk War, Blade Dance, Unlimited Fafnir, Dragonar Academy, etc.
I missed Blade Dance of the Elementalers Thanks for the heads up, I watched two episodes and already like it as much as Absolute Duo. Its like The Familiar of Zero, just much better.
Old 05-22-16, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, wow. So, watching the series first is correct course of viewing, correct?
Sorry missed seeing your post.

Movie 1 came out before the series, but it seems like episodes 1-6 of the series was identical. I didn't notice any changes. Movie 2 is coming out soon, but it's expected to just be the second half of the series. While Movie 3 will likely be all new content that may be featured in a season 2 of the series if/when there is one. Either way, if you watch the series, there isn't any reason to watch movie 1. We don't know if Movie 2 will be slightly different or not yet.