Battleborn (next-gen only from Gearbox)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-08-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Just announced:

Battleborn is a next-gen hero-shooter brought to you by the creators of the award-winning and best-selling Borderlands franchise. In Battleborn's distant future, the only hope for the last star in a dying universe is a new breed of warriors, who must put aside their differences to drive back an unstoppable menace. Choose from a myriad of powerful heroes and fight together alongside your friends in an intense co-operative campaign, or battle against them in fast-paced competitive multiplayer matches.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hXplu_x4ypU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

website for the game: http://battleborn.com/

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...814351318.aspx

Gearbox Software became a household name for gamers last generation with the hit Borderlands series. Borderlands was an experience gamers didn't even know they wanted, wrapping a fusion of first-person shooting and loot-grabbing RPG elements in a living comic book art style. Gearbox wants to change your perception of genres once again with Battleborn, a new IP being published by 2K Games for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.

Battleborn takes the minion smashing and fast leveling often associated with MOBAs and injects it into an intergalactic first-person battle arena. The game's dramatic story assembles a universe's worth of disparate heroes, from an immortal samurai to a minigun-wielding giant, all battling over the last star in the cosmos. The absurd premise blows open the doors for creativity, allowing the innovative minds at Gearbox to create a tremendous rogue's gallery of playable characters.

We visited Gearbox's studio in Plano, Texas to talk with the developers about Battleborn and play the first announced competitive match type for Game Informer's August cover story. We played hours of Incursion, an inventive 5 vs. 5 mode that combines fast-paced first-person gameplay with the strategic team-based elements of games like League of Legends and Dota 2. Rival battleborn hunt one another in lush jungles and arid deserts while robotic NPC minions wage an ongoing tug-of-war. Players start on a level playing field at the beginning of each match, progressing along a streamlined skill path up to level 20 filled with customizable abilities that unlock a variety of different play styles. Many of these gameplay elements will also bleed into Battleborn's five-player cooperative campaign, which Gearbox isn't saying much about yet.

Gearbox's unique universal apocalypse premise pulls together a ton of unlockable playable heroes that not only look wildly different, but control like they're from entirely different first-person games. The consummate space marine feels like he's been ripped from any modern shooter. A spry elven huntress leaps far above other players' heads and rains down volleys of deadly arrows, evoking memories of high fantasy heroes. Imagine an archetype you've always wanted to pit against another in a first-person shooter, and that's the dream Gearbox is bringing to life.

Battleborn is an exciting new IP, and there's a lot of cool stuff to talk about with this retail release, including the huge cast of characters, rivaling factions, and Gearbox's signature sense of humor. We discuss it all and more in our 12-page cover story, which is packed with gorgeous screenshots, hands-on impressions, and exclusive details straight from Gearbox. You can get a sample of our month of exclusive online Battleborn coverage by watching our coverage trailer below or on YouTube. You can also watch Battleborn's announcement trailer by clicking here.

Last edited by Deftones; 07-08-14 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-08-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Battleborn (next-gen only from Gearbox)

I'm surprised this wasn't announced at E3
Old 07-08-14, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess this is where non-PC gamers finally take the time to figure out what a MOBA is.
Old 03-16-16, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts

BATTLEBORN HAS GONE GOLD, BETA COMING SOON

Company president and CEO Randy Pitchford relayed the news via Twitter.

Randy PitchfordVerified account
@DuvalMagic
Exciting news: Battleborn retail is ready! Back in the day we would say "Gone Gold!" Team is stoked and hard at work on support, beta, etc.
In addition, a Battleborn beta is set for release sometime in the near future. Though Pitchford didn't specify whether or not it would be open to the public. This will be further accompanied by "details about post launch support very soon."

For those who don't know, Battleborn is a hero-based first shooter with similarities to Dota 2 and League of Legends. Particularly in the game's Incursion Mode.

BATTLEBORN SEASON PASS DETAILS ANNOUNCED

Battleborn will launch with 25 characters, with five new characters coming free for all platforms after the game is out. According to the announcement, the first of the free heroes will be Alani, "a member of the Eldrid faction who was raised as a healer, but forced to be a warrior, and is all that remains of her order after Rendain’s Jennerit Imperium stole the oceans from her world."

Other planned free updates will include new modes, maps, balance updates, and community features.

There will also be paid add-on content in the form of five add-on packs. These will each cost $5 and include one new PvE Story Operation, along with new skins and taunts. If you want all of them, the Season Pass will cost $20, so you'll be saving $5 compared to buying them all individually.

The Season Pass will also be included in the Battleborn Digital Deluxe Edition, which is available for $75 and contains some extra cosmetic items. Battleborn will launch with a lot of cosmetic options, however optional extras will also be sold in-game.

articles taken from IGN.com
Old 03-16-16, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I guess this is where non-PC gamers finally take the time to figure out what a MOBA is.
And I guess this is where a former but now non-PC gamer says "thanks but no thanks". To each their own. Enjoy.
Old 03-16-16, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Man look at them Next-Gen GFX!
Old 03-16-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
Man look at them Next-Gen GFX!
Current-Gen! GFX

get it right fucker!
Old 03-16-16, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Current-Gen! GFX

get it right fucker!
I was going to make a comment on that, but the thread did start in 2014 so it's a toss up I guess? Actually no, it was still Current Gen then too.
Old 03-16-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah I wish these new games will stop doing last-gen enhanced Graphics bullshit... I know it's cost cutting/saving but.... I guess I'll have to wait for GEARS 4 to satisfy me.
Old 03-16-16, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Man that did NOT look good. I still don't know what a MOBA is as far as gameplay, but that looked confusing and dull. Sort of reminded me of that Ratchet and Clank game with a Tower Defense slant that I sorts hated on the PS3 (I forget the name of that one).
Old 03-17-16, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It reminds me mostly of the Savage series, which was like a Multiplayer FPS/Tower Defense/RTS game with Heroes. But I think this looks like a step backwards.

Old 03-17-16, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

the jury is still out on this though I hope they can make it good. Cannot complain about the lack of characters but we'll see what they do with it between now and release....

In the mean time I'm more intrigued with Paragon....that does look great!
Old 03-17-16, 08:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'll check this out if it's free like other big-name MOBAs.
Old 03-17-16, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'll check this out if it's free like other big-name MOBAs.
It is not. It's a full price game, and (unofficially) the very last one with a $10 RZ Certificate with preorder at Best Buy
Old 03-17-16, 08:43 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am only looking at what this game offers as a coop campaign.. and something tells me not much.
Old 04-07-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Battleborne Beta DL was up last night on PS4.....starts today thru 04/17 I think.
Old 04-25-16, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Save $5 on Battleborn Season Pass when you buy the game

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/offer/16...at748302045841
Old 05-03-16, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts

Got the game but it seem that trying to log in can be a pain. Try to log three or four times til I was able to get in. Can't be play offline at all, Gearbox need to get a fixed on this. Sadly I'm regretted that I purchased it.
Old 05-03-16, 05:22 PM

I watched some on Twitch and it looked like a chaotic mess. Simplistic, repetitive, boring. I might rent it, but I won't be buying this one at launch.
Old 05-03-16, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

This looks so generic I keep getting this one confused with Overwatch

It looks like Overwatch will be the more fun game.
Old 05-03-16, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Looks like Battleboring to me.
Old 05-03-16, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I played a little of the beta a few months back and was not impressed.
Old 05-04-16, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Much like I posted in the Overwatch thread I think this game will tank. Has the gaming industry completely lost their mind? If a game is completely MP focused it won't work. Titanfall? Or that one game back on the 360, Brink, everybody remembers how great that was right?

Last edited by Barth; 05-04-16 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-04-16, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
Much like I posted in the Overwatch thread I think this game will tank. Has the gaming industry completely lost their mind? If a game is completely MP focused it won't work. Titanfall? Or that one game back on the 360, Brink, everybody remembers how great that was right?
The most popular games in the world right now are MOBAs like League of Legends and DOTA2, which are multiplayer only (seriously, look up how much money Riot Games makes). Not to mention MMO's like Destiny and Division were big hits, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike, and going all the way back to games like Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament. Multiplayer is just fine.

That's not really a comment about Battleborn itself, which i'll abstain from directly, but there's been a few people acting like multiplayer only games are destined to fail when it's most definitely not the case.

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-04-16 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-05-16, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Multiplayer only on console games always seems like a failed experiment, despite it being quite the opposite on PC.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.