Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Stores closing down or going out business 2016

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 03-05-16, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

So it has been going on for awhile now.Online shopping,cheaper prices and in most cases easier to purchase online.
And while consumers are spending more.That is right,most of it is going to online retailers.

Now I read in Fortune mag that Staples is closing a whole bunch of stores. And there was Sears and Kohls and others that are shutting down stores. It sounds like something in the wind that doesn't look very good. Some of those stores are the main attractions to shopping centers. Are we heading into something that no one is talking about?

I was looking for A new bike.Ended up buying A very nice new one on Ebay
for about $700 savings compare to buying it at the local bike shop.Buying bicyle parts online from USA,Europe and even Asia now at much lower cost.

And with DVD/blu-ray the majority of new movies I buy are online.

So I'll add to the post latter what stores are coming and going in the two cities I shop the most at.I'll also update the list when I have more time this week.

US 2016 Store Closings - All Retail Chain Store Locations To Be Closed in 2016 and Beyond:

400 Office Depot / Office Max (by 2016)
223 Barnes & Noble (through 2023)

Sports Authority filed for bankruptcy

140 stores closing

https://consumerist.com/2016/03/03/h...t-are-closing/

Last edited by JoeySeven; 03-05-16 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-05-16, 07:04 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts
Re: Stores closing down or going out business 2016

a bunch of Kohl's are closing.
Old 03-05-16, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I've never had reason to go into a Kohl's. Barnes and Noble seems to be doing OK here, but they need more competitive pricing. A bike is something I'd want to try out before buying, something you can't do online.
Old 03-05-16, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
a bunch of Kohl's are closing.
Only 18 and they are opening outlet stores.
Old 03-10-16, 07:54 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

It's sad that B&M stores are closing but when I go to a store to buy something that they really should have but don't, or the hook or shelf space where the item I wanted to buy is empty, then I'll either go elsewhere or buy it online. Sucks to have to pay shipping but what choice would I have? Buy a product that doesn't exactly do what I wanted it to do or isn't what I went to the store for in the first place? No. What I hate is that most stores are filled with every product imagineable, except the one product I wanted to buy. B&M stores lose, online stores win.
Old 03-10-16, 08:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
Are we heading into something that no one is talking about?
Yes...old people who don't know how to use the Internet are dying off.
Old 03-10-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Office Max/Office Depot merged, so I wonder if they're just cutting some just to save or liquidate the space or combine inventories, etc.
Old 03-10-16, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Office Max/Office Depot merged, so I wonder if they're just cutting some just to save or liquidate the space or combine inventories, etc.
It always seemed like there was an Office Depot not far from an Office Max, so they're probably cutting down on redundancy.

It's sort of funny, most people didn't realize they were different chains. Similar names, similar logos. Shit, I would walk into one looking for something and I couldn't have told you which one I was in without looking.
Old 03-10-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

A lot of these stores aren't very good, or they filled a niche for a while that is now gone.

Men's Wearhouse parent is closing 250 stores, including 80-90 Jos. A. Bank stores.
Old 03-11-16, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I've never had reason to go into a Kohl's. Barnes and Noble seems to be doing OK here, but they need more competitive pricing. A bike is something I'd want to try out before buying, something you can't do online.
I went into A Kohl's once,thats all I remember.Not really a guy store I guess.

I just got back into riding more and was interested in buying another Giant Carbon fiber road bike.
I own a older TCR model,but it is just one size to big for me but my favorite bicycle.

For the bike I looked local first.But the model I was interested in looking at the Giant defy advanced the store in Albany did not stock that model,they said the their bigger store in Corvallis would have them.Guess what,no they don't.So I never got a good vibe at either bike shop.
I do like one bike shop in Corvallis.I bought my Trek hybrid their about 4 years ago and no problems.But they are kind of small and do not have many high cost bikes in stock.They just are not big sellers in these two towns.

I'll try Salem next,as they have many LBS shops.And I'm a member of Performance bike.Can buy online or at one of their many locations.
I ended up buying a new used Scott Sollace off Ebay and really good fit and rides great.No Guarantee,but I could buy two and in some cases 3 of Sollace bikes at the cost of one from the LBS.I also did read many reviews on endurance type bicycles.
I like what Performance has to offer and might buy my next bike their.

Also I believe like other big ticket items.Some consumers use the LBS to
test ride a bike only to buy elsewhere for cheaper.

Walgreens buys Rite Aid This happened last year.I believe walgreens
might have bought another drug store or tired.
Really do not see Walgreens last very long.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/27/inve...rite-aid-deal/

Originally Posted by davidh777
A lot of these stores aren't very good, or they filled a niche for a while that is now gone.

Men's Wearhouse parent is closing 250 stores, including 80-90 Jos. A. Bank stores.
yeah
Most of the stores that leave Albany,Or.Are the crappy stores you hear or read about.Sears,Kmart,Radio shack and toy R us all closed down in my town.And I could probably list the next few that are not going to last.

Albany did get A Walmart about 5 years ago,about the same time Kmart left.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 07-04-18 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sports Authority closing all their stores. Dick's better be careful cause they are a mirror with the overpriced clothing and gear they sell. Academy isn't quite as bad but they might be on the watch list soon.
Old 05-20-16, 11:35 AM

Wish it was Dick's Sporting Goods that was going under- they tore down the Century dome theater in Pleasant Hill to build a store, so I hope they're at least losing money on that! Place has never looked the same from the freeway since.
Old 05-24-16, 08:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish Gamestop was on that list. I'll forever despise them for their retarded policy of opening brand new games to have display cases.
Old 05-24-16, 12:37 PM

Remember there was a mall store that sold games with the opened boxes on the shelves and the cartridges behind the counter. Bought one NES game there (at full price or close to it) and when they handed me the cartridge instead of a new sealed box, that was the last time I bought anything from them.
Old 05-24-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper187
I wish Gamestop was on that list. I'll forever despise them for their retarded policy of opening brand new games to have display cases.
I don't get this - unless they're giving you the open one with no discount.

I was in one of the Gamestop stores here last week (doing a return of a messed up online purchase for which the local store has gone above and beyond anything I'd have expected to get it right). While I was waiting I saw at least 3 people come up with those display cases and the guy opened a drawer, pulled out a *new* in package one, and rang them up. I've always heard bad things about Gamestop but have only had excellent experiences at the two stores here. My only complaint with them is they charge far too much for used product, which is why I typically don't purchased used from them.
Old 05-24-16, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I've never had anyone discount a new copy because it was opened. If you get to their last copy, they will pull a disc out of the drawer, put it in the case, tell you that it is "new" and charge you the new price, even though their employees are allowed to take those games home and play them.
Old 05-24-16, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

All Moviestops are being closed down.
Old 05-24-16, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I've never had anyone discount a new copy because it was opened. If you get to their last copy, they will pull a disc out of the drawer, put it in the case, tell you that it is "new" and charge you the new price, even though their employees are allowed to take those games home and play them.
Interesting. But they'd not do that with me. I'd either get at least a 10% discount for it being "open box" or leave it on the counter.
Old 05-25-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

One of the stores near me tried that with me once. I said "No. I want a new copy" and every game ive bought since has been sealed.
Old 05-25-16, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
Sports Authority closing all their stores. Dick's better be careful cause they are a mirror with the overpriced clothing and gear they sell. Academy isn't quite as bad but they might be on the watch list soon.
Just saw the email... bummer, since it's nice having sporting goods stores around. They're all pretty expensive to me though, whether it be Sports Authority, Dick's, or Sports Chalet.
Old 08-21-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will miss gohastings.com . The online shopping experience is getting tighter and physical media is old hat. Millennials get their media from streaming. I like physical media. I like to read print while checking out an item. I'm old lol. But one thing that online sales will never duplicate is full service clothing sales. I experienced the original shopping hub of Minneapolis when I was a kid. Daytons was the star of the show and their expertise of marketing started the Target store franchise. That was a fun time for purchasing merchandise. All our media was physical and the media stores were FUN.As we slowly move away from this sales concept I can be proud to say I was part of the online store boom and experienced the awesome deals. I will miss all this, it was fun and I will keep purchasing media somewhere else.
Old 12-05-18, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Subway to close 500 locations seems to have over built,and I do not care for their sandwiches.
I and many other go to the grocery store deli next door as they make a sandwich way better that cost the same.

Not in the link. But Performance Bicycle will close 40 stores as part of its bankruptcy.
Not surprised.I like bike,but Performance has really gone down hill,and the store I liked in Eugene closed last year.I do like their online sister company Bike Nashbar.

Chevy's tex mex is closing most or all it locations.The one in town just shut the doors one day.

https://clark.com/shopping-retail/ma...-closing-2018/
Old 12-05-18, 08:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
Subway to close 500 locations seems to have over built,and I do not care for their sandwiches.
I and many other go to the grocery store deli next door as they make a sandwich way better that cost the same.

Not in the link. But Performance Bicycle will close 40 stores as part of its bankruptcy.
Not surprised.I like bike,but Performance has really gone down hill,and the store I liked in Eugene closed last year.I do like their online sister company Bike Nashbar.

Chevy's tex mex is closing most or all it locations.The one in town just shut the doors one day.

https://clark.com/shopping-retail/ma...-closing-2018/
Subway was good at one time, maybe 12 or 15 years ago. Then their bacon started tasting like it wasn't even cooked. It was ridiculous. Too bad too. The sub buns used to be awesome. I don't understand how Jimmy John's stays in business either when the fuckers don't even offer american cheese. Fuck Provolone.
Old 12-05-18, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agree,I think that is true for lot of these franchise fast food joints.
Use to like Burger King,McD,etc back around the 80's.The local burger joints just taste so much better for about the same price.Ok mabe McD fries are still okay,but kind of pricey the last time I had some.

I use to go to subway maybe once or twice a year, many years ago.

When it came out they were using some kind of chemical used in yoga mats and shoe soles in their sandwiches breads back in 2014.I said thanks but no thanks,even though they removed the chemical after lots of protest.

Never been to Jimmy John's.And in my winter home town they just opened a new location this year and I doubt I''ll ever go.
Just too many good local deli's.Only problem for me is most close early and are closed on Sunday/Monday.And I'm always out late,but try to support the mom and pop restaurants when eating out.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 12-05-18 at 09:26 PM.