Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

SeeSo - NBC's Comedy Streaming Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-16, 02:48 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
SeeSo - NBC's Comedy Streaming Service

NBC has a new streaming service called SeeSo. It specializes in NBC sitcoms & late night shows, British comedy classics, and original series. It's ad-free and HD for $3.99/month. It's currently available on Roku, Amazon FireTV, iOS, and Android.

Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers late night shows are available the next day. Looks like there's a full collection of SNL episodes (all 41 years). There's also 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, and The Office US.

British shows include The Office UK, Fawlty Towers, The IT Crowd, Might Boosh, Garth Marenghi's Dark Place, How Not To Live Your Life, the Young Ones, and more. There's also just about everything Monty Python has ever done. The full Flying Circus, the movies, stand-up shows, documentaries, etc.

I know a lot of this stuff's available on Hulu and Netflix. I wish they offered more classic NBC sitcoms. Stuff like NewsRadio, Mad About You, Night Court, Just Shoot Me, etc.

Anyone subscribe to this? How's the quality? Is it worth $4/month?
Old 03-05-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: SeeSo - NBC's Comedy Streaming Service

I'm curious about this service, too. Per some ads I've heard on podcasts I listen to, SeeSo has HD remastered versions of The Kids in the Hall and Monty Python's Flying Circus. Anyone know if they are OAR or are cropped like The Simpsons remasters are?

EDIT: To answer my own question, I went to their site just now and the episode thumbnails of those two shows each had black bars on the sides, so that's a relief.

Last edited by DJLinus; 03-05-16 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-05-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

99% sure they're at the wrong frame rate though. I've got the whole Monty Python series on DVD.

I'll try this out when I have time, I've already heard complaints that they don't update their content a lot, and why in the world did they pick that name?
Old 03-07-16, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I assume the MP TV show would've been shot at 25 FPS PAL?
Old 03-10-16, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

Looks like there's a full collection of SNL episodes (all 41 years).
I could actually see that being torture to binge watch cause the majority of the SNL content is based on very topical humor.Even the non political stuff a lot of the sketches are about people or incidents in the news during a certain time frame. Like if you weren't up on the music scene or celeb gossip circa March 2001 or Oct 1988 some of that stuff would seem hammy or just confusing.
Old 03-10-16, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
NBC has a new streaming service called SeeSo. It specializes in NBC sitcoms & late night shows, British comedy classics, and original series. It's ad-free and HD for $3.99/month. It's currently available on Roku, Amazon FireTV, iOS, and Android.

Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers late night shows are available the next day. Looks like there's a full collection of SNL episodes (all 41 years). There's also 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, and The Office US.

British shows include The Office UK, Fawlty Towers, The IT Crowd, Might Boosh, Garth Marenghi's Dark Place, How Not To Live Your Life, the Young Ones, and more. There's also just about everything Monty Python has ever done. The full Flying Circus, the movies, stand-up shows, documentaries, etc.

I know a lot of this stuff's available on Hulu and Netflix. I wish they offered more classic NBC sitcoms. Stuff like NewsRadio, Mad About You, Night Court, Just Shoot Me, etc.

Anyone subscribe to this? How's the quality? Is it worth $4/month?
The thing is that the U.S. shows look like they're owned by NBC/Universal while the classics are owned by Sony, Warner, etc. It's like how Chuck aired on NBC but was a Warner property.

Not that those titles couldn't have been licensed if they wanted (Sony obviously values Mad About You so much they licensed the DVD rights to Mill Creek), but that would cut their margins.
Old 08-09-17, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

A bunch of Seeso originals are going to VRV, including Hidden America, Harmontown and Hidden America.

http://decider.com/2017/08/08/exclusive-seeso-selling-four-original-series-to-otter-medias-vrv-streaming-service/
Old 08-09-17, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://deadline.com/2017/08/seeso-shut-down-1202145753/

Will officially shut down later this year

Looks like the 1st "niche" streaming service that couldn't survive. Really not that surprising.

Did anyone here actually subscribe to this service? I think the content is way too niche to have value for many subscribers.
Old 08-09-17, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I tried it out free for about a month, I liked it but didn't have enough time to watch it to make it worth paying for, plus the picture quality was sub-par. They had a survey after I cancelled and I let them know that, but said it was overall a good idea. I liked how you could have it play the live standup comedy specials continuously without anything being cut off or user interface butting in.

What WERE they thinking giving it that name though? I would've gone for something a bit more generic but descriptive, like The Comedy Channel.
Old 08-09-17, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://deadline.com/2017/08/seeso-shut-down-1202145753/

Will officially shut down later this year

Looks like the 1st "niche" streaming service that couldn't survive. Really not that surprising.

Did anyone here actually subscribe to this service? I think the content is way too niche to have value for many subscribers.
At $3.99 a month, it wasn't a bad deal. But I only signed up for a three month trial (and maybe a month when I forgot to cancel). I was thinking about signing up again to binge Bajillion Dollar Properties.