Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon opening retail stores?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-03-16, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

http://gizmodo.com/amazon-will-open-...e-l-1756692355

Article first said they were going to open "hundreds of stores" soon, but then said that Amazon would not comment on it and were mad that they ran this story to begin with. I hope this happens though- they're said to be primarily bookstores but they could sell music and movies too which need all the retailers they can get these days. If they do this right it could be a replacement for Tower Records or at least Borders.
Old 02-03-16, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: Amazon opening retail stores?

I predicted this happening over a decade ago. You have to leverage your brand and strike when the iron is hot. It makes total sense now that Amazon has warehouses all over the country and most states already charge tax on Amazon.com purchases.

I would bet the stores will be closer in design and philosophy to Apple stores than anything like the current Barnes & Noble.

The good news is that Amazon will temporarily undercut other retailers as they drive traffic to the stores. The bad news is that this move could ultimately put the nail in the coffin for Amazon's remaining competition in several different markets. Barnes & Noble is already teetering on the verge of collapse.
Old 02-03-16, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I went past an Amazon warehouse outside Reno, I wished I could've gone inside to browse and buy stuff. Setting a store up in the front of that would be a no-brainer. The Barnes and Nobles around here seem to be doing OK at least for books, but they're the last stores I know of that still sell media at list price. Only time I've bought anything there is when they do the half-off Criterion sales.
Old 02-03-16, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

The store that opened in our area is said to have a pretty limited selection. Not a threat to B&N in its current state, but who knows if they might change the model for future stores.
Old 02-03-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sure zyzzle will hate this.
Old 02-03-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm sure zyzzle will hate this.
Yes, he'll complain every time he shops there.
Old 02-05-16, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

Actually, I can't think of too many reasons why Amazon might raise prices becasue of this move. They're already in bed with the state govts. (charging sales tax, after making sweet kickback deals with them). The states will welcome their retail presence. It may provide more competition among the remaining bricks and mortars, which might be good short term. Long term, Amazon will increase its monopoly after its retail presence has forced all other retail outlets (save, maybe Target and Walmart) to shutter their doors. So, that will be terrible, when in the year 2030, we may have as many Amazon stores as Walmarts right now, yes?
Old 02-06-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see this primarily as a way for them to save a ton on shipping costs.

With their warehouses popping up everywhere, their bigger trucks can make regular trips to drop off packages to these stores in the area they need to be delivered. Then, each of these stores could have an Amazon van (or several), and eventually those Amazon drones, and use them for the final mile delivery, thus making UPS, FedEx and USPS no longer needed.
Old 02-07-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be an easier way to trade in stuff. But that'd attract some shady people and give local pawn shops some competition.

I really wish the "five-day business week" was done away with and it was the norm for things to be shipped out on Sat/Sun.
Old 02-08-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

I find it hilarious that they're calling these stores "offline" shopping.
Old 02-14-16, 06:53 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

In 15 years the world will be owned by Amazon and Walmart and all their efforts will be spent trying to "acquire" each other.
Old 02-14-16, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

And every restaurant will be Taco Bell
Old 02-16-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

My sister visited the one in Seattle and said it was cool but weird that you pay digitally and you basically use your phone to see how much each item is and you use the phone to check out and pay or some shit. I'm paraphrasing, because I don't remember the details.
Old 02-16-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
I see this primarily as a way for them to save a ton on shipping costs.

With their warehouses popping up everywhere, their bigger trucks can make regular trips to drop off packages to these stores in the area they need to be delivered. Then, each of these stores could have an Amazon van (or several), and eventually those Amazon drones, and use them for the final mile delivery, thus making UPS, FedEx and USPS no longer needed.
Seems like a job that would need the capacity of another warehouse rather than a retail store. Either that or a ton of stores, which would seem to cancel out the savings from shipping.
Old 02-17-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Is the plan to only have retail stores attached to their warehouses?
Old 02-18-16, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
My sister visited the one in Seattle and said it was cool but weird that you pay digitally and you basically use your phone to see how much each item is and you use the phone to check out and pay or some shit. I'm paraphrasing, because I don't remember the details.
I can't see the appeal. If you have to go online to see prices and pay, you might as well just stay home and order the stuff right there. Meh.