Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dream Theater: Great Northern Empire or Ravenskill Rebel Militia (double album?) 2016

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dream Theater: Great Northern Empire or Ravenskill Rebel Militia (double album?) 2016

Old 10-30-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

So Dream Theater updated their site wanting users to choose a mailing list between two images/titles.

So a possible double album or two separate studio albums? Who knows.

Album is rumored for early 2016. I've seen February mentioned but nothing concrete.

Horrible Photoshop work there though.
Old 10-30-15, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dream Theater: Great Northern Empire or Ravenskill Rebel Militia (double album?)

Terrible artwork. Surprising since they usually really do well in that area.

I would guess double album with each disc having those themes. Been a long while since their last double, hope it's solid beginning to end.
Old 10-30-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: Dream Theater: Great Northern Empire or Ravenskill Rebel Militia (double album?)

The last one was their best in years, so hopefully this one will be also.
Old 11-10-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

DREAM THEATER WILL DEBUT THEIR NEW ALBUM LIVE IN ITS ENTIRETY

Dream Theater has announced new tour dates for a momentous European run that's set to kick off on February 18th at the Palladium in London, England. The tour will see the prog-titans delivering a one-of-a-kind show in which they premier their entire forthcoming album live. The band's unique performance is already set to make stops at prestigious theaters around Europe - including Amsterdam's Carre Theater, Stockholm's Cirkus, Paris' Palais des Congres, Milan's Teatro Degli Arcimboldi, and Zurich's Kongresshaus, with additional dates to be announced soon.
Now that's a kick ass cover. Wonder what was up with the horrible photoshop shit above.
Old 12-22-15, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 01-20-16, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cast of characters, map and tracklisting here. 34 tracks! This thing looks to be epic.
Old 01-20-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Now that's a kick ass cover. Wonder what was up with the horrible photoshop shit above.
The official album cover I have seen looks even better:

Spoiler:
Old 01-20-16, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Cast of characters, map and tracklisting here. 34 tracks! This thing looks to be epic.
You know it's the future because everyone's using Y's instead of I's in their names! (Except for Gabriel and Evangeline - they're woefully behind the times )

And c'mon, Emperor Nafaryus? Why not call him Emperor Sofuckingevilus?
Old 01-20-16, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't even catch that.
Old 01-26-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody found any store exclusives or good deals for the CD version?
Old 01-26-16, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

This album sounds cheesetastic. Preordered.
Old 01-29-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow this album is boring, stupid, and flat out awful. What a dumb fucking idea. I wish they would replace Rudess with a second guitarst.
Old 01-29-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to wait until I get home to hear it since I ordered the CD. I'm going to give it a few listens before I pass judgement, but the recurring theme I'm reading is "too many ballads". That's not encouraging. It seems it very much will be like listening to the soundtrack of a broadway show.
Old 01-29-16, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mine's sitting at the Best Buy pickup counter.

I was hoping for something solid because I haven't been sold on a post Mike Portnoy Dream Theater yet. The last two albums had their moments but both would rank at the bottom of their catalog, IMO. Granted a bad DT album is still pretty good, just not up to par(I mean two Grammy noms is a helluva thing this far into their career). However, neither are go to albums when I want to hear some DT either.

I was very open to seeing what a post Portnoy controlling thumb DT would be like. I never had that Portnoy = DT mindset that a lot of fans had when they split, but so far it hasn't panned out yet.

on The Astonishing.
Old 01-29-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine's sitting at the Best Buy pickup counter.

I was hoping for something solid because I haven't been sold on a post Mike Portnoy Dream Theater yet. The last two albums had their moments but both would rank at the bottom of their catalog, IMO. Granted a bad DT album is still pretty good, just not up to par(I mean two Grammy noms is a helluva thing this far into their career). However, neither are go to albums when I want to hear some DT either.

I was very open to seeing what a post Portnoy controlling thumb DT would be like. I never had that Portnoy = DT mindset that a lot of fans had when they split, but so far it hasn't panned out yet.

on The Astonishing.
I would think the Grammy noms were a clear sign the band was doing something wrong.

I was also very excited to see where a Portnoy-less DT would go, but so far, it's been very disappointing. I can't get past the obvious Images and Words redo that is ADTOE, and the S/T just peters out after the first 4 tracks.

At this point I want Portnoy back, as long as all microphones are kept far away from him.
Old 02-01-16, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Only gotten through the first disc, but so far I like it. However it is very slow and mellow. Quite a departure. The instrumental work and Rudess have improved. No fucking ragtime... so far.

I know they were overdue for a concept album, but I also think they're long overdue for a kick ass metal album in the vein of Train of Thought or Systematic Chaos. I'm ready for one that just melts your face from beginning to end.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I would think the Grammy noms were a clear sign the band was doing something wrong.
I guess you could see it that way, but I think it's nice they've finally been recognized.
Old 02-03-16, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally checked this out. This album is brutal, and not in the good way.

I can't see myself ever listening to this one again.
Old 02-03-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

I had to open up my speakers and scrape the cheese out of them after the first disc. Doubt I ever listen to the second.
Old 02-03-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I had to open up my speakers and scrape the cheese out of them after the first disc. Doubt I ever listen to the second.
I had more LOL moments on the second disc for sure. The sound effects of people fighting and dying, some of the music, and the very last note of the album...

Spoiler:
has an ultra cheesy artificial harmonic just to put a cheesetastic exclamation point on the whole thing.
Old 02-03-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

I could never get into Dream Theater. Too damn many ballads.

If you like Progressive Metal then you should check out Symphony X. Great band.
Old 02-03-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Must be the music equivalent of being a homer, but I enjoyed it. Listened to it once through after downloading it and then ordered the CD. I rarely buy CD's anymore.

Maybe I just enjoy the work buy each of member of the band more than most. Most of it is certainly not their best work, but there were parts that really felt (to me) like most of their other material. Bu then again I've never minded their ballads given Labrie's vocals.

For me at least, it will be interesting to see if they follow up with the other things they said they would do with this material.
Old 02-03-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
For me at least, it will be interesting to see if they follow up with the other things they said they would do with this material.
Which would be, what?
Old 02-03-16, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Which would be, what?
In separate places I've read about concepts like a video game or a full length video (movie) that depicts the story told in the music. Don't remember where. The video game plan reminds me of what Queensryche did with Promised Land.
Old 02-13-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finally got through it. Listened to the first disc a couple times and it's just, I dunno, a downer. I don't think it's terrible, but it's not that great either. Just kinda 'there.' So that held me back from venturing into disc 2 this week. I finally popped it in yesterday and wow, now that's DT! Disc 2 is fantastic, musically. I have no idea what's going on with the story or lyrics though since disc 1 is such a snoozefest.
Old 02-15-16, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the best one can do with this is stay as far away from listening to the lyrics and story as possible. It's just flat out terrible. The sound effects peppered in of people fighting and dying - good lord.

I gave it a spin in the car at loud volume and found I liked some of the music but by about the 80 minute mark enough is enough. They could have still done a double CD and made it like 90 minutes and gotten the hilariously hacky and simplistic story across.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.