Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

FYE, Second Spin store closings

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

FYE in Torrance, CA closing down in late January. Supposedly moving to new location in Fullerton. All DVDs/Blus/CDs/merchandise currently 30% off.

Second Spin in Sherman Oaks closing down in late January. All DVDs/Blus/CDs/merchandise currently 30% off.

Not sure if the other Second Spin or FYEs in CA are also closing down. Haven't had a chance to check. The FYE in Montebello just had a major remodelling, so I don't think they're closing anytime soon.
Old 12-08-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: FYE, Second Spin store closings

I've been to the Torrance one occasionally. I'm very sorry to hear it, but thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-15-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I was at my local FYE this weekend. No mention of it closing, and the staff knew nothing about it. Hopefully it is safe, as I enjoy browsing in there sometimes. And they always seem to have the limited editions well after anyone else. Probably because they charge list price for them.
Old 01-03-16, 05:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The trend is close any Transworld Entertainment (TWE) stores around the holiday season with the final day in January, usually at the end of a lease term. These stores are essentially at the mercy of their lease. Knowing when store leases are ending is a good indicator of how long a particular store will stay around. With the better overall economy, landlords are increasing lease rates or opting to go with more lucrative tenants, so TWE just closes the store, even if they could be pulling a profit under more favorable terms.

I know at least one TWE store that has closed with the promise of re-opening in a new location, the Santa Monica Second Spin, but that did not materialize.

I recall the Torrance in FYE being the only store that opened when all the other SoCal TWE stores were closing, which was odd back in 2007 or so (that store was down the street from another TWE store, the last "Wherehouse", which apparently closed last year.)

Closings are also hush hush, no existing store is told about and, if aware, will not really acknowledge the closing of another store.

TWE was great about closing under-performing stores during the recession, and coupled with the fact that no one was really increasing rent during the recession, managed to stay on and afloat when everyone else (e.g. Tower) was closing or limiting physical media retail space. TWE actually posted a profit at some point to everyone's surprise.

I know Amoeba is doing great and I think LA could sustain another destination physical media store like it. If TWE could, they should just consolidate everything into a single large store. Maybe take over the historic Tower records in Hollywood.
Old 01-14-16, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Our one and only FYE is closing this month on January 26th. I went in their yesterday and everything was 50% off list price. That made their prices seem even more ridiculous since I could buy everything in their store on Amazon for a better price even after their 50% discount. Who the hell would shop there?
Old 01-14-16, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Who the hell would shop there?
No one. It's the main reason why this relic of a retailer is going down. I'm surprised how long it has taken them. I don't understand at all why instead of evolving with technology and the way they do business, these retailers stay the course until their backs are against the wall.
Old 01-19-16, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Much like Blockbuster and the like, it's all about the execs don't want to take a pay cut. So they ride it out till the ship goes down. They know they've been riding the gravy train for years and most of them aren't smart enough to adapt, just want to take the money and run.
Old 01-20-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The final day for the Torrance, CA store is supposed to be Saturday. I went yesterday and all media is still the 40% off it's been since around/before Christmas, yet they've still sold maybe 60% or more of all that was there. Maybe the discount will drop again before the end, but I doubt it. I guess they're willing to keep more of the inventory as long as people are buying at 60% of msrp.

I picked up a few things, a couple of oop discs (The Dark Knight Trilogy: Ultimate Collector's Edition BD), and a couple that were lower than Amazon has ever had them (like Leverage S3 dvd for $9 w/slip), but it took far more time than it was worth to sort through everything.
Old 01-20-16, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

The closest FYE to where I live is in Fullerton, CA

I've gone there many times over the years to sell things and once upon a time they had decent sell back prices, but not so much anymore. I guess that shouldn't be surprising with too much product out there.

I also think the prices for their Used product is a little inflated. Some of the prices for the Used DVDs or BDs or almost the same as new product that can be bought from Amazon.

I wouldn't really miss FYE if in the future they were gone for good. The days of stores like this and their usefulness are pretty much a memory now.
Old 03-02-16, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Another FYE closed, in Bradenton, FL. Of course I found this out after I drove the 30 miles hoping to score some deals.
Old 03-05-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Does anyone know if the Second Spin in Costa Mesa is still going?
Old 03-05-16, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Traxan
Does anyone know if the Second Spin in Costa Mesa is still going?
Yelp says it's still open.
Old 04-17-21, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Drove by FYE in Fullerton, CA yesterday. Used to go there a lot to sell and occasionally buy used products.

Sadly I saw it was shut down. They closed back in January. Last time I went was in early November and there was no inclination that they were in trouble. But I was curious if they could survive long enough post pandemic. This is their Instagram post from January 24. It’s sad the traditional CD and DVD store is next to extinct now.

Old 04-17-21, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

I never really bought much from FYE but it's sad seeing another CD/DVD store go down.
Old 04-18-21, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

We lost ours a long time ago, they almost took over 2 Tower stores when those closed but backed out over lease terms. Before the main one here closed they had started pricing all regular CDs at $9.99 which was a good deal. Before that most stuff was list price which nobody is going to pay anymore. Wish they’d open up someplace here now since nobody else is.
Old 04-18-21, 09:02 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I ventured into an FYE last month after a long time of not going there and they are basically a mix of a DVD/CD store with Hot Topic. They sell tons of collectibles, POP figures and other trinkets but the problem still the same as they are overpriced in every aspect. I never understood how they never adjusted to selling at competitive prices online and in-store. Everything they sell is at retail or above, including their used media section. There's no reason for me to purchase something there when I can find it at least $10 cheaper online.
Old 04-19-21, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I just went to an amazing used CD store here in NOVA. Picked up at least 10 discs I had been looking for years for. Reasonably priced on everything. Going to try and dump some inventory on them before they disappear too.