Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-06-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Has there been any speculation on who's directing IX?

Because I'm 99% sure I know.
Old 07-06-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (5/26/17, W/D: Rian Johnson)

Originally Posted by islandclaws

I'll speculate Uwe Boll
Old 07-06-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

I heard rumors that Disney wanted Whedon. It would probably work, but I'm not a fan of the idea.
Old 07-06-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Rumor is that George Lucas will be at Comic Con to announce he's coming out of retirement to direct the final episode....

Or since you seem to know who it's going to be, how about letting the rest of us know?
Old 07-06-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is simply hearsay from a friend in the industry, but I've been told it's
Spoiler:
Colin Trevorrow
Old 07-06-15, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I'm fine w/ his direction so far he just needs to know when to not fuck w/ colors and actually know how to make characters we give a damn about aside from the leads. Jesus was there so much mediocrity in that last film of his, simple fixes could have made it so much better.
Old 07-06-15, 02:03 PM

He's already mingled in that circle, so it wouldn't surprise me. Colin was on standby to do prep work when Brad Bird was in talks for Episode VII... and he was rumored to have met with Lucas before Abrams was hired.
Old 07-06-15, 02:23 PM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Director speculation is a spoiler? I thought Johnson was in to direct IX... or J.J. was going to come back...
Old 07-06-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Director speculation is a spoiler? I thought Johnson was in to direct IX... or J.J. was going to come back...
Yeah, originally the story was that Johnson was going to do Episodes 8 and 9. Then earlier this year there was talk that Disney wanted JJ back for Episode 9. I don't know that any of that was ever official though.
Old 07-06-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is simply hearsay from a friend in the industry, but I've been told it's * SPOILER *
After the giant box office success of his last resurrected franchise, I wouldn't be surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised.
Old 07-06-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
After the giant box office success of his last resurrected franchise, I wouldn't be surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised.
It has all the makings of a prequel-esque film!
Old 07-06-15, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Kevin Smith.

He's already worked with Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher.
Old 07-07-15, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I thought J.J Abrams was rumoured to be directing IX?
Old 07-07-15, 06:04 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Kevin Smith.
As much as I am a fan of Kevin Smith's movies, I don't want him anywhere near a SW movie. I can't explain it, but he seems like the type of fan who would make the movie totally thinking about the audience 100% of the time, and it would come out like some bad fan-flic. He also seems like the type of guy who want to please the PT fans too (as he stated in the past how much he loved the PT movies despite the fact that we know he didn't feel that way) and would throw in some dumb PT tie-ins.

The one thing I respect about JJ so far is it sounds like he is making his type of movie and isn't trying to cater to every SW fanbase. As much as a majority of SW fans think that Empire is the best, JJ has said in many interviews that The Original is his favorite and I think he is trying to make this movie in the tone and spirit of it. He could have easily catered and try to make it just like Empire, but I think people may be suprised that TFA appeals to casual fans like the 1977 film, and not as Star Warsy as the other films. (Meaning the movie won't be loaded with SW mythology that tie into all of the other movies, and this movie will sort of standalone in some respects.)
Old 07-10-15, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Rumor has it Trevorrow will be announced as director of Episode IX during the Star Wars panel at Comic-Con this afternoon.

Originally Posted by coli
As much as I am a fan of Kevin Smith's movies, I don't want him anywhere near a SW movie. I can't explain it, but he seems like the type of fan who would make the movie totally thinking about the audience 100% of the time, and it would come out like some bad fan-flic.
I've never been a big Kevin Smith fan, but most everything he's directed in the last decade has been absolute garbage. No way he's being considered to helm anything Star Wars related. Plus, the guy can't keep his friggin' mouth shut. I know he was moved to tears after visiting the Episode VII set, but blabbing about it to anyone with a microphone as soon as he got back certainly didn't win him points with Lucasfilm -- even if he didn't go into major specifics.
Old 07-10-15, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Rumor has it Trevorrow will be announced as director of Episode IX during the Star Wars panel at Comic-Con this afternoon.

Oh please God, no. No.
Old 07-10-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Seems awfully green to be given this assignment. I was hoping for a JJ return myself.
Old 07-10-15, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thought Abrams would do IX. Interesting if Colin T does it instead.

BTW, in ESB, bounty hunters with Vader, when an officer says we don't need their scum, an alien bounty hunter hears and snarls at him, what was the name of that bounty hunter?
Old 07-10-15, 09:50 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
BTW, in ESB, bounty hunters with Vader, when an officer says we don't need their scum, an alien bounty hunter hears and snarls at him, what was the name of that bounty hunter?
Bossk

He was in the Clone Wars CG animated series as well.
Old 07-10-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

I liked Jurassic World a lot and think Trevorrow did a good job, but I don't think that one highly successful film translates to everything he touches turning to gold. I actually think that Kevin Smith would be an interesting choice but I don't see it happening. Maybe he'd get one of the spinoff films if anything.
Old 07-10-15, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Timber
Seems awfully green to be given this assignment.
The guy just directed a movie that had the biggest global opening off all time... and it was produced by Frank Marshall, who is married to Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. It just makes sense they'd want him for this.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Jurassic World was far from a great movie -- but I had no problem with it on a technical level. If the script for IX is solid, I feel he'd do a decent enough job.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 07-10-15, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I enjoyed Jurassic World a lot, but Star Wars is an entirely different monster altogether.

Then again, he'll have been preceded by (hopefully) 2 great movies so maybe it'll be a Richard Marquand situation like Jedi was.

I really think each director of these next 3 movies has a tough road ahead. JJ because everybody's basically counting on him to take away the sour taste of the prequels from our mouths and at the same time feed us something new.

If TFA is successful, Rian now has the awful task of matching Empire being it's the 2nd installment.

Whoever directs the third one will then have to compete with the fact that there hasn't been a really good closing movie in the previous 2 trilogies.

Disclaimer: I absolutely love Jedi. But I know the ewoks and the semi-rehashed Death Star space battle kills it for some people.
Old 07-10-15, 10:52 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

if they want to break the internet, they'd announce chris nolan
Old 07-10-15, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I think Trevorrow has been spotted with some Lucasfilm people at SDCC, so that's where the rumor got started. Could be true, could be nothing...personally, there's nothing he showed in JURASSIC WORLD that makes me go "Hey, this guy should do a STAR WARS movie" - but there was also nothing there that made me think he shouldn't do one.
Old 07-10-15, 11:57 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El

Then again, he'll have been preceded by (hopefully) 2 great movies so maybe it'll be a Richard Marquand situation like Jedi was.

I really think each director of these next 3 movies has a tough road ahead. JJ because everybody's basically counting on him to take away the sour taste of the prequels from our mouths and at the same time feed us something new.

Episode 7 will be tough simply because JJ has to introduce us to new characters and get us to care about them for 2 more movies while not ruining the older characters, so there is a delicate balance.

Episode 8 will probably be the easiest if Episode 7 is successful, because you can take the story wherever you want, you don't have to tie anything up, and you are essentially setting everything up for the last movie. The reason AOTC had a tough job was because people were not impressed with TPM, along with a new actor playing Anakin, it was essentially a do-over for Lucas with the fans.

Episode 9 will be the toughest, as the 3rd movie of any trilogy has to tie up ever loose end. Fans of TV shows and movie franchises expect a great ending that gives them closure, and usually their expectations aren't meant. You think of the Luke/Leia sibling revelation, or the Obiwan POV speech, etc, and any sloppy story telling can doom a whole trilogy when looked upon when it is all said and done. I even think of how Lucas handled Anakin turning to the darkside in ROTS, and it was ridiculous, it stained an already stained Prequel Trilogy even more.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.