Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy no longer putting price tags on slipcovers?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 05-15-15, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I've griped about this many, many times since it started- when DVDs and later Blu-Rays started coming in slipcovers without any shrinkwrap on them, Best Buy and other stores continued to put their price tags right on the unsealed covers. As I am an obsessive collector and never buy used discs, this has greatly reduced my disc buying in stores. If you leave the price tag on then it covers up part of the cover and looks like you'd bought it used, and if you peel it off, the cover often gets damaged as a result. (Any promotional stickers advertising disc features or Ultraviolet put there by the studio I consider part of the package and leave those on as they are.)

I'd pretty much stopped even going into Best Buy because they always put their tags on slipcovers, and even though I complained to them about it several times they didn't change anything. On a whim I went in yesterday though and it looks like they might have actually listened for once- they had a ton of copies of "50 Shades of Grey" in both Blu-Ray and DVD, and NONE had any Best Buy tags on them. Noticed a few other recent titles that also had no Best Buy tags. While their selection still sucks, I might at least actually go there when they've got something on sale rather than order it online or wait for Target to match the price.
Old 05-15-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Best Buy no longer putting price tags on slipcovers?

The last one I remember buying from there still had a BB tag on it, and what's worse is it doesn't even have the price on it, just a useless white tag that won't come off cleanly.
Old 05-15-15, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

That is the one nice thing about Target, they don't put price stickers on their media.
Old 05-15-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but Target has their own method of fucking up slipcovers, they stuff them into those plastic security cases.
Old 05-15-15, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I no longer buy a lot of media, but I don't think I cared much about stickers on cases and slipcovers in some time mid-way through DVD collecting thanks to Goo Gone. I used to care about peeling them off carefully, but lately I don't care so much and stopped paying attention in store.

That said, the security cases are worse then stickers to me
Old 05-15-15, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

From my Star Wars action figure collecting days, I learned that using a hair dryer and slowing peeling off the sticker does a good job.

Not sure if that translates to DVDs and BDs though. I don't see why not, it's the same concept.
Old 05-15-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually tried that for the first time the other day and all I got was a warped slipcover (with a sticker still on it).
Old 05-15-15, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I just bought Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts (which came out this week) and it had one of those shitty BB stickers on it. No damage taking it off tho.
Old 05-16-15, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen this a couple of times recently at Wal-Mart (such as with Musketeers S2), but think that they just overlooked them. Can't recall seeing it at BB, but I agree that I don't care for the practice.
Old 05-20-15, 08:31 PM

Went by a Best Buy outside my usual area yesterday and all copies of American Sniper had the stupid stickers on them. The Blu-Rays of 50 Shades did too, but not the DVDs. Maybe they're at least making an effort to phase them out. STILL don't know why the studios continue to package their stuff like that, especially with the insides of their packaging looking pathetic lately.
Old 05-20-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Pick slip.

Old 07-03-15, 04:07 PM

Went in yesterday to get something that came out recently and all copies had their stickers on them so I didn't get it. Oh well.
Old 07-03-15, 05:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the slip covers right in the shredder when I get home. I don't see any need for them so sticker or not they go
Old 07-26-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Nooooooooo!
Old 08-05-15, 03:08 AM

Must've been a fluke when I first posted this, as I went in today for the "Insurgent" exclusive and everything was pretty much back to normal. The regular "Insurgent" with lenticular slipcover actually looked neater than the Steelbook I went in for, but since it was unsealed and had a Best Buy tag on it I got the Steelbook which was fully sealed. I swear this particular Best Buy just gets worse every time I go in, which isn't even very often anymore. Only plus was I actually didn't get approached by a DirecTV salesperson; instead I got some guy selling solar power which is something I'd be more likely to actually have someday. They should hire me to push stuff that people REALLY need on customers
Old 08-06-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I never had a problem peeling stickers off discs from Best Buy. As long as you peel slowly, pretty much every sticker comes off a slip cover. Any residue comes off with a tiny amount of goo gone.
Old 08-06-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I employ the hair dryer method for getting rid of those annoying stickers.
Old 08-07-15, 04:06 AM

Point is, if I'm buying a new, unused item and paying the respective price for it, I shouldn't have to do that. A few times they've had unbeatable prices on some titles, so I bought them IF I could peel off the sticker in the store without damaging the cover. If they came off partially and/or left any residue on the cover, I still didn't buy them. Yes, I'm picky but this practice just doesn't make any sense, and I don't see why they'd keep doing it if it costs them even one sale.
Old 11-13-15, 11:28 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Gotta give Best Buy a HUGE for the sticker they put on the slipcover for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Had a hell of a time getting that fucker off there, only to be left with a scored slipcover when I was finished. Got the damned sticker off though...

Should've come here for the blow dryer idea, although I still would've had to get the gummy shit off there.

Don't see why they can't use stickers like Walmart, theirs comes off easily.

Fuckers.
Old 11-13-15, 04:08 PM

See? That's why I don't buy slipcovered discs with store stickers on them at all. Funny how Best Buy's media sales have declined and they've reduced their store stock of it, but can't seem to get the hint of WHY they're selling less. I did order the 3D "Pixels" Blu-Ray from them this week and it came with no sticker on it- I'd ordered a disc a few years ago and it had a Best Buy price sticker covered up by some generic sticker, but luckily those came off with no trouble.
Old 11-13-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Funny how Best Buy's media sales have declined and they've reduced their store stock of it, but can't seem to get the hint of WHY they're selling less.
I don't think they would ever make the leap that it's a price sticker on a piece of disposable cardboard.
Old 11-13-15, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I don't think they would ever make the leap that it's a price sticker on a piece of disposable cardboard.
Old 11-14-15, 02:41 AM

Disposable? You could say the same thing about most of the people who WORK at Best Buy! If I wanted to dispose of my slipcovers, obviously I wouldn't care what condition they came in, but I consider them part of the package and keep them. As I've said before, I hate un-shrinkwrapped slipcovers more than the most adamant hater of snapper DVD cases back in the day!
Old 11-14-15, 05:45 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
If more people emailed Best Buy and bitched about it like I did, maybe they'd get the hint. And to alot of people, the slipcover is not disposable, it's part of the package deal.

Last edited by kd5; 11-14-15 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-14-15, 09:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
If more people emailed Best Buy and bitched about it like I did, maybe they'd get the hint. And to alot of people, the slipcover is not disposable, it's part of the package deal.
I think you're grossly overestimating the number of people on the planet who think twice about slipcovers, let alone keep them, let alone care about sticker residue.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.