Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Cities Skylines (PC)

Old 08-15-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cities Skylines (PC)

New city builder from Paradox Interactive announced at Gamescom. Looks to be the game we all wanted from SC5 but was never delivered.

Offline play. Love the dig at Maxis. Looks really good, and this has become my most anticipated title at present.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lxfeBpagvQw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Screenshot gallery:

http://imgur.com/a/pJgsX

Looks really really good. Developed by team behind Cities in Motion, which was a decent but flawed game. Seems like they had to basically create a city building game to create CIM, so this title was a natural followup.
Old 08-15-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: Cities Skylines (PC)

I can foresee me wasting many hours of my life playing that game.
Old 02-19-15, 12:37 PM

So not much response in this thread originally, but the release date of March 10th is fast approaching. There was a lengthy developer stream on Twitch which showed the biggest city they've demoed. Here is the youtube capture of part 1:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bAnGa_vnWQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In short, it's looking amazing. Mod support is supported out of the box and users have already seen them on Steam, and the models look as awesome as you'd expect. There's going to be a lot of room to expand in this game very quickly.

Other gameplay so far has been limited to one hour segments which some streamers have been allowed to post on youtube. The only concern at this point is no one has really been allowed to dig in and take a city to completion from scratch. You may remember the Sim City developers pulled a similar stunt, giving 1 hour previews so the many many issues that plagued that game were never apparent to the press. Hopefully that isn't the case here.

In any case, I can't wait to play this game, it's pretty much the only thing I'm looking forward to in 2015 other than GTA:V.
Old 02-19-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I'll wait for reviews, but it's definitely on my wish list. Given the videos available, the city sizes can be pretty large, so that's already a huge advantage over the disaster that was SimCity. Hopefully the simulator itself is top notch.
Old 02-19-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

I love games like this... a tad off topic... are there any games like this for the iPad?
Old 02-20-15, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Only $22.xx at Green Man Gaming in the VIP section.

I watched a Twitch stream from the dev's, the game looks really good. Definitely better than the turd that is Sim City 2013 and Cities XXL.
Old 02-23-15, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V
I love games like this... a tad off topic... are there any games like this for the iPad?
I wish, shockingly not despite an arguably perfect control mechanism with touch screens.

Sim City Deluxe is out there, but is kind of a bare bones version of SC4. I don't know if EA removed it since they released their new Sim City Build It game, which is a microtransaction laden affair and is best avoided at all costs. Most other games in the genre are similar microtransaction crap.

The only game that falls somewhat in this genre with good mechanics is Transport Tycoon, but you don't get to do traditional RCI zoning in that game and it's just building transport networks and developing supply chains.

Embargo for footage and screens ends in 8 days, which is about a week before release. At that point we should have word as to whether the game succeeds at larger scales and if the simulation is good. The devs seem very confident.
Old 02-25-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The developers of Cities: Skyline had an AMA on Reddit today. Lots of good information.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...behind_cities/

Looks like there's a population max of 1 million, though you can still expand and keep building. No more people will move in, though. Kinda odd.

It also appears that they're going to continue to add stuff to the game post launch. I probably won't pick this up until the summer anyway, so by then there may be some content patches.
Old 02-25-15, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm almost positive that the population cap can be modded out, just like the number of plots you can build on.
Old 03-04-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Skyestorme put up a bunch of Let's Play videos...
https://www.youtube.com/user/SkyestormeGaming/videos

So hyped. Looks great. Basically everything I wanted SimCity 2013 to be.
Old 03-04-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched a couple videos by some guy named Quill. Definitely getting more interested in it. Seems to run pretty well too, though I didn't see any full blown cities.
Old 03-04-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Skyestorme's are great because he gives you little tips along the way. Some people might like the trial and error nature of these sorts of games though, but for me I really appreciated that stuff.
Old 03-04-15, 04:30 PM

Yeah, embargo was lifted today so there are a ton of gameplay videos out there. Some of the cities people are creating are just downright awesome, and with so many recorded hours most of my concerns have been assuaged. Can't wait for this, it's going to be a huge time sink, I can tell.
Old 03-04-15, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still can't believe that it only cost $21 (or $30 full price).
Old 03-10-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Released!

Not that this should be a problem for anyone, but this game requires a 64-bit OS.
Old 03-10-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This game is so good so far. I love the aesthetics and the interface. Everything seems very polished. Can't believe this was made by a 9 person team.
Old 03-10-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is my understanding that the game does not run in exclusive full screen, only a borderless window, at least for DirectX 11. Hopefully that'll be sorted out soon as I plan on getting a G-SYNC monitor and that feature only works in full screen games.
Old 03-10-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Reviews look excellent! 89 so far collectively on Metacritic.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cities-skylines
Old 03-13-15, 08:35 AM

This game is so good it's sick. I've been playing it every spare moment I have, which is only 4-5 hours or so. I've barely scratched the surface of what's possible. I just started zoning districts and messing with policies. Haven't really focused on industry specialization or public transport yet, although I badly need a rail network in my city - which is really more like four cities at the moment, because the maps are so fucking big. Even the base tile you get seems about twice as large or more as what was offered in Sim City. And you get nine of those, or 25 with the mod that's already out.

And yeah, modding. Awesome. There's already tons of content coming out and it's only week 1. This game is going to have real legs. It's just so fun to build and watch your city grow and develop. The tons of road options make building the road networks so much more engaging and interesting than any other title in this genre. I love building interchanges.

Can't wait to really dig in this weekend and build something awesome. I've been playing with the everything unlocked mod turned on because I find the unlock progression kind of silly. You don't unlock agriculture until 8,000 cims, for example, which is strange since you'd think that is the most basic form of industry.

I also love how the cims are actually simulated. They have actual houses and jobs and lives and families that live and die. Not like SC where sims would travel to the nearest job and nearest house.
Old 03-13-15, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cities: Skylines breaks Paradox' day-one sales records
City-building sim Cities: Skylines has become Paradox' most successful game launch, selling 250,000 copies in its first 24 hours. The number—tallied from day one sales and pre-orders—has made CEO Fredrik Wester quite happy.
http://www.pcgamer.com/cities-skylin...sales-records/

Well deserved. While it isn't quite as content heavy as a big AAA title, the framework itself seems fantastic, as is the modding ability. This is going to be a game that will have a very, very long life. They do really need to fix traffic though, as it has some major issues, but it's kind of turned into a meta-game where I need to design my roads based on how stupid some of the logic is.
Old 03-16-15, 12:59 PM

Broke 500k sales. Amazing, surprised there isn't more discussion here. Then again - maybe, like me, everyone is too busy playing. I can't remember the last time a game consumed me so completely. I played almost all weekend, despite the beautiful weather, and barely fit in my errands and a (half-assed) workout. I feel like a kid again. I start playing and next thing I know four hours have passed like minutes.

I did encounter some issues over the weekend due to mods. Apparently if you have too many parks it can tank your demand for commercial zones, which tanks your industry and basically breaks RCI. I was confused and built an INSANE amount of office parks to slowly grow residential, because industry was the only thing in demand - turns out that's just because industry zone businesses were constantly shutting down and being replaced since they had no commercial zone customers. All those farmland mods I'd been using to create the prettiest country side, which are effectively parks, were causing the issue. I only discovered this last night and after deleting a hundred or so "parks" my city rebounded and started to grow like mad again.

The scale of the game is absolutely insane. Even with just the standard 9 tiles it feels almost overwhelming how big you city gets.
Old 03-16-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I used http://terrain.party/ to import a real world height map so I could build an accurate map of my town.
It became an exercise in tedium...
Old 03-19-15, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

If you are a VIP greenmangaming person (basically you just have to register with them) you can get this for $22 with no tax.

This is my first city builder game, and I'm finding it pretty confusing. I run out of money within the first 10 minutes of the game. Still not sure I'm connecting water/sewage right ... seems weird it won't let me cross water and sewage pipes. Surely they could be a foot or 2 lower than the other?
Old 03-19-15, 05:27 PM

Water and sewage use the same pipes. You don't need to separate them. It would probably be easier for you if you just enabled the unlock everything and possibly unlimited money mods to experiment and see how everything works. The unlock progression is kind of arbitrary, honestly.
Old 03-19-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Water and sewage use the same pipes. You don't need to separate them. It would probably be easier for you if you just enabled the unlock everything and possibly unlimited money mods to experiment and see how everything works. The unlock progression is kind of arbitrary, honestly.
ah, that makes sense, thanks!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.