Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

All about threadcraps (please read)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

All about threadcraps (please read)

Old 02-22-05, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you please enforce these rules on the assholes who keep threadcrapping every one of my threads? I know it shouldnt have to be your job, but it would be very helpful if you could.

-El Mariachi

here is an example:

evidence

Last edited by Master Shake 05; 02-22-05 at 07:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 02-22-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Master Shake 05
can you please enforce these rules on the assholes who keep threadcrapping every one of my threads?
Er...if you're going to make a post regarding enforcement of forum rules, you probably shouldn't break one yourself (offensive name-calling) in the process. Take a long hard look at this post. You may want to take special notice of the following disallowed behavior:

ABSOLUTELY NO:
• Posting of personal attacks against another member, moderator or administrator in the forum
• Padding your post count with one line posts or other attempts at flooding the forum with posts.

DJ

Last edited by djtoell; 02-22-05 at 11:34 PM.
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 07-04-05, 10:01 PM

I joined DVDtalk 5 years ago and it just seems to me that there was more simple respect for people here back then. People just seem to be at each others throats about the smallest stuff now.

This forum is not solving the troubles of the world. This is a forum of people who have the love of DVD's and visual/audio entertainment in common. I personally appreciate the time and energy it takes to put this forum on the net. I can't even imagine "the cost" of putting this on. Although no one is perfect, I also believe the moderators to be a fair and hard-working bunch. Most work here with little or no thanks

I hate to post here any more just because of all the venom that is spewed back. In fact if this comment makes the board it will be against my better judgement.

If you read this and disagree, don't write me any nasty emails. Thanks
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 10-17-05, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Breezy_Pete1
I joined DVDtalk 5 years ago and it just seems to me that there was more simple respect for people here back then. People just seem to be at each others throats about the smallest stuff now.

This forum is not solving the troubles of the world. This is a forum of people who have the love of DVD's and visual/audio entertainment in common. I personally appreciate the time and energy it takes to put this forum on the net. I can't even imagine "the cost" of putting this on. Although no one is perfect, I also believe the moderators to be a fair and hard-working bunch. Most work here with little or no thanks

I hate to post here any more just because of all the venom that is spewed back. In fact if this comment makes the board it will be against my better judgement.

If you read this and disagree, don't write me any nasty emails. Thanks
I completely agree. I've been a member for almost 2 years and a lurker for a couple of years before that. I hardly ever post because there is a VERY high chance I'll get flamed. Case in point: I recently was looking for information on the Lilo & Stitch SE DVD. I did a search which provided links to long theads where I was unable to find my answer. I read the posting rules 'again' and then posted my question. A couple of people provided information and then someone made a post that suggested they had the information I was asking for, but they would not share it because I had not followed an "unwritten' forum rule. Now I would think if you wanted someone to improve their posts, helpful suggestions might help. Or, if these "unwritten" rules are so important, maybe instead of spending your time making un-helpful posts, you could better spend your time trying to get these "unwritten" rules actually written in the forum's rules thread. To me, to do otherwise is 'threadcrapping'.

Last edited by Smorri; 10-17-05 at 04:33 PM.
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 03-08-06, 02:45 AM
Cool New Member

Threadcrapping is really messy and it sucks when someone gives a totally different view, something like talking of the new merc on the DVD forum.
Old 04-12-06, 09:16 PM
Banned

"ABSOLUTELY NO:
• Posting of personal attacks against another member...."

I guess that doesn't apply to the articulate folks running this board. After all, GK says I "suck", when, in fact, I do not!
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 11-02-06, 08:59 PM

i dont really understand how it is a threadcrap to tell someone to save their money and avoid purchasing "...." whatever the really bad movie was.
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 11-02-06, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by iconoclasm
i dont really understand how it is a threadcrap to tell someone to save their money and avoid purchasing "...." whatever the really bad movie was.
That type of remarks and discussion goes in the Movie Talk forum. Usually the DVD Talk forum threads are for people that are interested in the film and are planning to purchase or rent the DVD.
Old 07-27-07, 06:57 AM

Can we please start considering any talk about Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD in the 'DVD Talk' forum a threadcrap?

Any "Can't wait for the Blu-Ray edition!", "This will rock on HD-DVD!" or "Has the HD version been announced yet?" posts should be deleted/moved and the poster warned/banned.

There is an 'HD Talk' forum here and anybody too stupid to use it shouldn't be posting on the board anyway.
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 07-27-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

^^^ Sure it's a little annoying but I think the rules are getting a little to tight around hear as it is & I don't own this site & I'm not a MOD or anything but I really don't want to see DVDTalk turn into the Home Theater Forum.
Old 07-27-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Temujen

There is an 'HD Talk' forum here and anybody too stupid to use it shouldn't be posting on the board anyway.
Uhmm... isn't that a personal attack?....

Or just an ironic mistake.....

Originally Posted by Temujen
Can we please start considering any talk about Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD in the 'DVD Talk' forum a threadcrap?

Any "Can't wait for the Blu-Ray edition!", "This will rock on HD-DVD!" or "Has the HD version been announced yet?" posts should be deleted/moved and the poster warned/banned.
I don't see the harm in some HD talk about titles in the DVD Talk section, especially if it has to do with whether or not an HD version is or is not being released.

If you can't handle some HD talk in the regular DVD Talk section, then maybe this forum isn't for you... may you need to find a more "restricting" forum.

Warning/Banning posters for it.... give me a break.

Last edited by Music; 07-27-07 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-27-07, 05:16 PM

Uhmm... isn't that a personal attack?....

Or just an ironic mistake.....
Look up the word 'personal' in a dictionary, please.

Sorry, but these "Look at me! Look at me! I have an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player and don't have to concern myself with such antiquated things as DVDs!" posts are getting out of hand.

I don't go to the HD Talk forum and do post after post about how they could just flush their money down the toilet because both formats will fail - so they should restrict their circle jerk to the appropriate forum.
Old 07-27-07, 06:25 PM
Uber Member

Well, the difference is that this is the main forum of this site (along with the DVD Bargains forum) so you have to expect comments relating to topics covered by subforms here.

For example, should the mods delete and warn everyone who makes a post about how a DVD cover looks like crap or looks really good to keep it in the DVD Covers forum?

If you see people posting things like "you're foolish to waste money buying this on low res standard DVD! Get it in HD/BR!," then that's probably a threadcrap that needs editing (assuming these kinds of comments are actually starting arguments). But someone saying "can't wait for this to come out in HD/BR," isn't very different from someone saying "I'll wait for the 2 disc SE warner will do for this in a year."

On top of that, DVDTalk as a site has to look forward. It is by no means certain that HD/BR are going to fail or be niche formats, so they will want to maintain a friendly and encouraging attitude to the formats at least until there's a more definite shift one way or another. Should either format really take off, they will probably get rid of the HD forum and just retitle this one to reflect the changing of the home video format guard.

Finally, calling a specific group of members idiots and referring to their posting style as a "circle jerk" is at least a borderline personal attack. The mods here aren't limited by dictionary definitions. They are more interested in maintaining a forum atmosphere that fosters discussion rather than inflammatory remarks that are likely to start new arguments and, therefore, create more work for the mods.
Old 07-19-08, 05:23 PM

Just so I know: when I write "Pasolini's film Salo is full of crap", is this an acceptable remark or threadcrapping?
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 09-26-09, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: All about threadcraps (please read)

I think that's a "review." It wouldn't belong in a thread about a DVD/Blu-ray release, but could maybe be posted in the Reviews forum.
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 08-02-11, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Easy
Dudikoff has a legitimate concern and I share it. I could name one forum where dvds and movies are discussed that currently indulges in capricious censorship. I hope dvdtalk will not go down that road.
Michael Dudikoff? the American Ninja?

oh wait....i'm threadcrapping.....
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 07-09-13, 03:10 AM

Good one but You need to be cautious in making the distinction between "threadcrap" and people's views. Few individuals may be logging onto the newsgroup in search of actual people's views,its not only a glowing advertisement for a specified movie. Most accurate film fans don't enjoy every film they see and ought to tell others of their dislike for what they had consider a "crappy" film or "crappy" director.Thanks!!
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 10-13-14, 04:40 PM

How about a little "threadcrap" from an oldie but a goody.
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 12-05-14, 05:15 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gamer
How about a little "threadcrap" from an oldie but a goody.
How's this?

Something smell. I don't think it's Frankie... well, might be Frankie.
Old 12-05-14, 05:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Static Cling
How's this?

Something smell. I don't think it's Frankie... well, might be Frankie.
Woah, I thought I felt a spark. Welcome back?
Old 12-05-14, 11:21 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just checking on a good price for the Guardians of the Galaxy Blu-Ray and was really, really bored working. Nice to see the place hasn't burned down.
Old 12-05-14, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Static!
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 02-15-15, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by MrVette99
Yes, it's simple in many cases, and not so in others, and your examples are fine for when it is.

Let me modify one for example of how I saw one of my replies get labeled a tread crap.

It should not be considered a thread crap if I post

That's not the greatest example but maybe it gets the point accross all the same. And BTW, that would be considered humor, and should not be taken as an attack, nor meant to be confrontational. Anyways, as I read all the verbage above there is plenty of confusion in what is being put forth as the "rule". Seems to me to be subject to interpretation by those with the biggest stick. Whatever ...

lol Your cool dude
Trevor (03-09-20)