Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice (2024, D: Tim Burton) S: Keaton, Ryder, Ortega, O'Hara

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-10-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Apparently this is happening, and we're allowing it to happen.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/katz...ack-from-dead/
Old 09-11-11, 07:55 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Beetlejuice 2

God I hope its not the Beetlejuice Goes Hawiian idea revisited. I read that script online like a decade back and its not very good.
Old 09-11-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do. Not. Want.
Old 09-11-11, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always wondered what script for BGH was like. title alone sounded shitty.
Old 09-11-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

No Keaton = No sale! They better get him or just bag this project.
Old 09-11-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It doesn't even have the original writers, I never respect when they just hire someone to come on and write a sequel. Characters aren't just a free for all, especially Beetlejuice himself, came from very specific imaginations.
Old 09-11-11, 03:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Shia LaBeouf is in talks for the title role.
Old 09-11-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts

Just don't say the movie title 3 times and we should be fine
Old 09-11-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JTH182
Apparently this is happening, and we're allowing it to happen.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/katz...ack-from-dead/
This is the first I've heard of this. Don't worry, man. I'll stop this from happening.
Old 09-11-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I don't know about this. I never like the idea of doing a sequel to a movie when the original came so long ago. Hopefully Keaton is involved with this otherwise I'm not very interested. I could see him still being able to pull it off as he'd be in makeup anyways for the role. Don't really care if Burton has any involvement as most of his new stuff is shit anyways.
Old 09-11-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I always wondered what script for BGH was like. title alone sounded shitty.
Well it involved Beetlejuice going surfing so if that doesn't tell you what you need to know, nothing will.
Old 09-11-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

But Michael Keaton agreed to it back around 1990, so despite the premise sounding terrible, maybe it wasn't all bad.
Old 09-12-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
But Michael Keaton agreed to it back around 1990, so despite the premise sounding terrible, maybe it wasn't all bad.
Not true, Keaton was interested in a sequel but never agreed to anything and definitely not to the Hawaiian idea. I shot an interview with him a few years ago at Sundance where we asked him about it. Here's what he said (and incidentally, he's one of the coolest guys around)...

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:204445/cp~id%3D1579973%26vid%3D204445%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A204445" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed>
Old 09-12-11, 06:18 PM
Suspended

The plot for Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian was basically this: The Deets open a Club Med style resort but its built over like a Polynesian burial ground and the ghosts don't want them there. So they get Lydia to find Beetlejuice and hire him to get rid of the ghosts. I think briefly they have to stop her heart so she can go into the afterlife. She finds Beetlejuice but he agrees to do it if Lydia will marry him and have his spirit put in their child. I read it like five or six years ago it wasn't the best of ideas. Kind of a rehash like Hangover 2.
Old 10-28-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Writer/producer duo David Katzenberg and Seth Grahame-Smith have received the blessing of Tim Burton to follow up his 1988 comedy horror.

The pair have said they are unwilling to make the film without Keaton as the star.

"When Warner Bros came to us about it, we said the only way we'd do it [was] if we got Tim [Burton's] blessing and involvement, and we got that, and the star of the movie has to be Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice, and it's a true continuation 26 years later," Grahame-Smith told Entertainment Weekly.

"Not just throwing him in as a cameo going, 'Hey, it's me. I endorse this movie'. We're not there yet [with Keaton] because we don't have a film to present to him."

The pair were quick to repeat that they are planning a sequel and not a remake of the original film.
Old 10-28-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Here's a detailed summary the Hawaiian sequel. Boy would it have sucked.

In 1990, Tim Burton hired Jonathan Gems (Mars Attacks!) to write a sequel to the lovable freak-show that was 1988′s Beetlejuice. Burton ultimately chose to make Batman Returns, and thank God for that; Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian would likely have been a step backwards for Burton after the creative triumph of Edward Scissorhands. At times, the script is so bad, it reads like a parody of bad sequels.

Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian was to reunite most of the major players from the original film, with two crucial exceptions: Barbara and Adam Maitland, played respectively by Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin. The original film began with Barbara and Adam dying in a car accident and their deaths gave the original film a poignancy and weight that’s nowhere to be found in the sequel. The Maitlands were also relatable straight-arrows and since we can’t share in their exasperation over spending time with the annoying Deetz family, nor relate to their shock over any of the madcap supernatural events, Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian flat lines. It also doesn’t help that the film is a virtual re-write of the first movie with a Hawaiian setting and a bigger ending.

You might recall that at the end of the original film, the perverted demon Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton) is banished after the Maitland ghosts decide to share their house with the Deetz family, having grown fond of their young psychic daughter, Lydia (Winona Ryder). The sequel finds Beetlejuice back in the afterlife, shacked up with a sexy burn victim he isn’t attracted to and working in a supernatural supermarket. He’s still dejected and bitter over his failure at the end of the first film, and longs to be married to Lydia so that he can become mortal.

Meanwhile, the now college-aged Lydia is visiting a Hawaiian tropical island, Kanooka, where her eternally obnoxious parents are planning to open a fancy hotel, “The Deetz Paradise.” A group of local beatnicks are upset that the hotel will ruin the island’s environment but their complaints to Deetz fall on deaf ears. In addition to the beatnicks, a band of ancient Hawaiian ghosts are none to pleased about the hotel; they try to recruit Beetlejuice to frighten away Deetz and his developers, but he declines because his license to scare has been revoked.

Lydia begins to hang out with the beatnicks and quickly falls in love with one of them, a handsome surfer named Kimo. A local holy man, Mr. Maui, also teaches Lydia to use her psychic abilities to conjure tidal waves in the ocean, helping endear her to her surfer buddies.

Matters are complicated when the beatnicks kidnap Lydia’s dad in an effort to convince him to cancel the hotel’s opening. Kimo and his friends are arrested and Lydia has no choice but to call on Beetlejuice once more so that he can frighten the intruders off the island.

An extended effects sequence has Lydia visiting the afterlife to find Beetlejuice. There are some neat creatures along the way like the “Hipnoids” (headless ghosts who dress like pop-stars and suck spaghetti into their necks) but the sequence goes on forever and nothing that Lydia encounters there tops the monsters from famous “waiting room” scene in the first film.

Beetlejuice agrees to scare off the developers in exchange for his license, which Lydia is able to acquire. After the “Ghost with the Most” springs her friends from captivity, Lydia grants him three days to horse around on the beach before fulfilling his promise to spook the developers and tourists. Here, Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian finally differs a bit from the original film’s structure: Beetlejuice, his heart still set on marrying Lydia, creates a rift between her and Kimo, first leading the surfer astray by enticing him with another woman (she’s secretly a cactus… don’t ask) and then seducing Lydia by drugging her with a love potion. This stretch of the film gives Beetlejuice a chance to engage in the dirt-bag magic tricks that made the original film fun while allowing him to make use of the fresh scenery, playing volleyball, doing the limbo, etc. He even sets poor Otho, (the rotund interior designer from the first film) on fire to prevent him from banishing him back to the afterlife. Most important, Beeteljuice also uses magic to put Lydia in a bikini, so that’s one upsetting thing to come from this film not getting made.

Posing as an oil tycoon, Beetlejuice convinces the Deetzes to allow him to marry hypnotized-Lydia on the day of the hotel’s grand opening. Kimo figures out what Beetlejuice is up to and when he tries to stop the wedding, all hell breaks loose, with Beetlejuice transforming into the enormous creature “Juicifer,” and wreaking havoc on the island with the help of re-animated dinosaur skeletons and the Easter Island Heads, which pull themselves out of the ground and reveal themselves to be buried giants (the Easter Island Heads eventually found a home in Mars Attacks! where the Martians used them as over-sized bowling pins).

The tourists are nearly killed by Beetlejuice and his army of monsters but Lydia, having snapped out of the love spell, comes to everyone’s rescue by summoning an enormous tidal wave that wipes the creatures off the island, along with her father’s hotel. Just before Beetlejuice can exact vengeance on Lydia and murder her with a dagger, Otho says the demon’s name three times and sends him back to the afterlife. Lydia and Kimo are happily reunited, the island is to become a nature reserve and Beetlejuice, after accidentally drinking his own love potion, falls for the neglected burn victim he lives with back home.

While the climactic sequence might have been an enjoyable special effects blow-out, it’s still probably best that Beetlejuice never became a franchise. If the relationship between Lydia and the Maitlands was the soul of the first film, the soul of this film is a flat love story between Lydia and her surfer beau. Also, whereas the character of Beetlejuice was used sparingly in the original, there’s too much of him this time around and he becomes a bit unbearable. So while I’d have liked to have heard Danny Elfman do an all-out Hawaiian Beetljuice score, I don’t think it would have justified this movie’s existence. Then again, if they’d made this movie, they could have called part three Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice Beetlejuice.
Old 10-28-11, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

God, that sounds terrible.
Old 10-28-11, 01:54 PM
Banned

wow....that does sound horrendous.
Old 10-28-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if that movie were made, i would have cheered for the Cowboys!
Old 10-28-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It sounds like a plot outline for the Beetlejuice animated show
Old 09-18-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

'Beetlejuice' sequel could be in the works
Published: 9/14 8:48 am

Winona Ryder has confirmed rumors that Tim Burton is looking into bringing his ghoulish creation Beetlejuice back to the big screen.

The 1988 comedy horror was a commercial hit when it was released, and speculation of a sequel has swirled ever since.

The film's stars Michael Keaton and Geena Davis have urged Burton to start work on a follow-up, and he revealed he would consider taking on the project if the script was good enough.

Now Ryder has hinted plans are being put in place by revealing she's set to meet up with her Edward Scissorhands collaborator to discuss the potential movie.

She tells reporters at the Toronto International Film Festival, "I heard (about the sequel) from journalists, that's how I found out, but I'm seeing Tim next week, and I will let you know.

"I'm trying to think about how that would work. Obviously I'm not (the focal point), it's got to be Michael (Keaton). So is it happening? It's being written, but is it happening? Tim hasn't confirmed it (officially) yet."
Old 09-18-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Translation: I don't work much anymore and I really want this to happen, so I'm going to meet with Tim and beg him.
Old 09-18-12, 11:47 PM
En vacance

Thanks for that vid BJacks. Michael Keaton should just play fuckin every role ever. Get him for Justice League back as Batman shit.
Old 03-13-13, 05:04 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Seth Grahame-Smith has given fans an update on Beetlejuice 2.

The Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter writer is currently working on a script for a follow-up to the 1988 movie, and has tweeted a photo of himself in Beetlejuice gear at his computer, along with the phrase: "It's showtime."

Original director Tim Burton recently stated that he and star Michael Keaton will return if the script is good enough.

Grahame-Smith reassured fans that the movie will "absolutely" be a sequel rather than a reboot or remake, and said that he hopes to create a story that Burton and Keaton will approve of.

He told SciFiNow: "I think that you'd have to be an idiot not to be nervous about taking on something so beloved by so many people, myself included.

"Which is the precise reason why we told Warner Bros we would absolutely not even think about doing it without Michael Keaton reprising his role and without Tim's involvement and we were lucky enough to get both men to agree in theory, provided the script was strong enough that they'd at least be open to it. So we're proceeding slowly, cautiously and carefully.

"What I will say is that we are not remaking or rebooting this movie, we are absolutely doing a 26 years later sequel, and more important than that, if we don't feel like it does the first movie justice then I think it's even better not to do it, so we'll see."

Old 03-13-13, 05:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If his script for Dark Shadows is any indication, this will suck. And Burton, no longer able to tell the difference, will sign on to do it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.