View Single Post
Old 09-07-14, 10:12 PM   #60
nezumi

Re: The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

The 10th Annual
October Horror Movie Challenge

Join us... in viewing 1987's I Was a Teenage Zombie on Saturday, October 18 as part of the 31 Film Subset, followed by a discussion of the film the following day!

THE 31 FILM SUBSET
Spoiler:

--- 10/01: mightysparks - Stalled (2013)
--- 10/02: The Man with the Golden Doujinshi - The Carrier (1988)
--- 10/03: Darkgod - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
--- 10/04: PCBreakdown - Club Dread (2004)
--- 10/05: rbrown498 - Come Out and Play (2012)
--- 10/06: ntnon - The Comedy of Terrors (1963)
--- 10/07: Gobear - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)
--- 10/08: ororama - The Howling (1981)
--- 10/09: Trevor - A Bucket of Blood (1959)
--- 10/10: clckworang - The Vampire Lovers (1970)
--- 10/11: Chad - The Funhouse (1988)
--- 10/12: indiephantom - Buried Alive (1990)
--- 10/13: Mondo Kane - Mimic 3: Sentinel (2003)
--- 10/14: Bladz - Rabid (1977)
--- 10/15: tarfrimmer - The Host (2006)
--- 10/16: therja - Intruder (1989)
--- 10/17: DaveyJoe - The Brood (1979)
--- 10/18: nezumi - I Was a Teenage Zombie (1987)
--- 10/19: J. Farley - Jack's Back (1988)
--- 10/20: SethDLH - Vampire in Venice (aka "Prince of Night") (1988)
--- 10/21: Darth Maher - Christine (1983)
--- 10/22: shellebelle - The Uninvited (2009)
--- 10/23: cwileyy - The House On Haunted Hill (1959)
--- 10/24: coyoteblue - Bio-Zombie (1998)
--- 10/25: Dimension X - The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) / Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972)
--- 10/26: arw6040 - Oculus (2013)
--- 10/27: Undeadcow - The House That Dripped Blood (1971)
--- 10/28: shadokitty - Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)
--- 10/29: SterlingBen - Rats: Night of Terror (1984)
--- 10/30: Melmoth - Here Comes the Devil (2012)
--- 10/31: jacob_b - Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

10-08-2014: Added titles 1-9
10-14-2014: Added titles 10-17
10-21-2014: Added titles 18-27
10-29-2014: Added titles 19-38
11-01-2014: Added titles 39-45, reviews
11-03-2014: Added reviews
11-04-2014: Added reviews, minor edits
11-05-2014: Added reviews, minor edits
11-06-2014: Added reviews, minor edits

LAST YEAR: 36 films
THIS YEAR'S PERSONAL GOAL: 31+ films

THE LIST
All films are DVD format unless noted.
Bold indicates a first-time viewing.
* = Wildcard selection
  1. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
  2. Dementia 13 (1963)
  3. Bloody Pit of Horror (1965) - Mickey Hargitay plays a former muscleman actor who believes he's the reincarnation of an Inquisition executioner, and he proceeds to masochistically dispatch a troupe of models shooting pulp novel covers at his castle. Allegedly based on the works of the Marquis de Sade! Boy, this is one loopy movie. Definitely the most homoerotic movie I've seen all month. Filmed in "Psychovision!"

4. House (1977)
  5. House (1986) - From the 6th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nezumi View Post
    William Katt plays a horror novelist who moves into the house of a recently deceased aunt. Strange things begin happening, and he recruits his next door neighbor (George Wendt) to prove that he isn't going crazy. The film's a little unusual in that the haunted house isn't isolated from society. Katt's character actually has neighbors (one played by the sexy Mary Stavin) and police officers to deal with in addition to the ghouls and goblins. Most of the scares are played for laughs, with mixed results.
    Rewatching it after so many years, I feel pretty much the same about this film. The kid antics just don't play for me, but it's still mostly fun.

6. The Manster (1959)
  7. Trog (1970) - Google Play. A thawed troglodyte is found alive inside a cave in the English countryside, and an anthropologist (Joan Crawford) takes "Trog" under her wing. However, the town's bitchy busybody (Michael Gough!) won't be satisfied until his misgivings about Trog are proven right, so he sets the apeman loose to go apeshit on the unsuspecting townfolk. It's interesting to think about how many bridges Crawford had to have burned in order for this movie to be her swan song. To be fair, she remains the consummate professional and delivers her lines with a conviction that they do not deserve. It's also pretty clear that Trog's costume was probably supposed to be more elaborate, but the production ran out of money. From the neck up, it looks great. Below that line, it's a pasty white guy wearing fur underwear and booties.

8. Drive-In Massacre (1977) - Stop watching this movie about an unseen sword-wielding maniac killing lovers at a drive-in theater after the first kill. It's all downhill from there. The "shock" ending is especially lame when seen in the comfort of one's home.

9. Another Kind (2011) - Three friends go on a hike during the winter to test out some cold weather gear in preparation of a trip to the Himalayas, but things don't go as planned. In addition to the harsh elements, they must contend with a mysterious force in the woods. The film owes more than a little debt to The Blair Witch Project, but I thank director Jonathan Blitstein for showing restraint and not making a found footage movie from the premise. In fact, the movie might have turned out even better if he had ditched the spooky elements altogether and made the film a story of survival. The ridiculous ending will either have you rolling your eyes or howling with laughter. Laura Ramadei gives a well-rounded performance as one of the hikers.

10. Dire Wolf (A.K.A., "Dino Wolf") (2009) - Amazingly, the dire wolf actually was a prehistoric ancestor of the modern gray wolf that existed during the Pleistocene epoch. What is probably less likely to exist is a dire wolf-human hybrid, genetically engineered by the military for use on the battlefield. In spite of the preposterous premise (or perhaps due to the bonkers plot), B-movie veteran Fred Olen Ray manages to craft a surprisingly entertaining monster movie. The dire wolf looks halfway decent, and the gore is mercifully done with practical effects. However, the lack of nudity and profanity alerts viewers of the movie's destiny to become late night SyFy fodder. It's nice to see Gil Gerard (TV's "Buck Rogers") get some work.

11. Sparrow (2010) - So. Fucking. British. A group of young people go camping in the woods for some reason. I say "for some reason," because it seems that nobody can stand being in each other's company. It makes no sense that they would all agree to spend a weekend together. Anyway, there's a long-haired park ranger that's apparently been freely killing campers for years, because he caught his wife having sex with his coworker (Yep, that's the "legend" of Ranger Sparrow). Ineptly shot with repetitive kills. The pull-quote on the disc case from "Hacked in the Head Reviews" hails the film as, "... a short and sharp slasher flick that pays homage to the 1980s," which leads me to believe the reviewer is an enormous shill.

12. A Bucket of Blood (1959) - See my comments in the discussion thread.

13. Chopping Mall (1986) - I remain firmly convinced that this film about mall security robots running amok after a lightning strike began its life as an in-joke at Concorde Pictures. Hackmeister Jim Wynorski probably agreed to direct the film when it was promised that he would get to see female breasts. Still, I guess it's pretty fun to see Paul Bartel, Mary Woronov and Dick Miller all reprising their roles from Eating Raoul and A Bucket of Blood, respectively.

14. Witch's Night Out (1978) / The Elvira Show, "Pilot" (1993) / Z Nation, "Puppies and Kittens" (2014) - Broadcast television / Youtube / Google Play.
  15. The Uninvited (1944) - Broadcast television, part of Svengoolie.

16. The Funhouse (1981) - See my comments in the discussion thread.

17. Lifeforce (1985)
  18. The Last Man on Earth (1964) - Youtube.
  19. The Omega Man (1971)
  20. Infected (2012) - Poor Michael Madsen and Christy Carlson Romano appear in this subpar zombie/outbreak movie, but only William Forsythe seems to be making any effort. The absolute worst thing about this movie is the final ten-or-so minutes when the filmmakers decide to actually show something interesting. It only makes the previous eighty minutes feel even more of a bloated waste of time. There's also a scene where the characters clean a dead deer, and it looks awfully lifelike.

21. Last of the Living (2009) - Three lads run around town in a souped-up dragster, dimly aware that a zombie holocaust surrounds them in this Kiwi zom-com. Much of the humor feels like it was picked out of Judd Apatow's wastebasket. The introduction of a female character almost instantly spells death for the film, and they are all soon locked into a banal plot to deliver a potential cure to the zombie plague to a rumored safe zone blah, blah, blah. The snarky humor gets jettisoned for a downbeat ending in a classic case of "too little, too late." It's a pity that some good digital effects work was done in service of a movie like this.

22. Hide and Creep (2004) - A low-budget horror film made in 2004 that's actually shot on film? Be still my heart! The dead begin rising from their graves in a small Southern community. It might be the work of aliens, but plot really isn't the focus of this horror-comedy. It's clear that the filmmakers have a deep affection for the works of Kevin Smith, and Smith's influence can be seen throughout the film (one of the heroes is a video store clerk, painfully stage-y dialogue about Coca-Cola versus Pepsi, juvenile sexual humor, etc). I leave it up to you whether or not that's a selling point.

23. Mr. Sardonicus (1961) - Broadcast television.
  24. The Wolf Man (1941) - Broadcast television, part of Svengoolie.

25. I Was a Teenage Zombie (1987) - VHS. See my comments in the discussion thread.

26. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
  27. Madman (1982) - Google Play. It may not be considered a slasher "classic," but I do appreciate the film's economy. The filmmakers establish the killer Madman Marz' mythology in the opening and then get almost immediately to Marz' mayhem. I don't know that the movie's worth owning, but it's definitely worth a rental. Starring Gaylen Ross (Dawn of the Dead), acting under the name "Alexis Dubin!"

28. The Ridge (2005) - A bunch of assholes go to a mansion in the mountains where they are picked off one by one by the "Ridge Runner," a killer from some indeterminate period of time. I don't think I've ever seen a film disenfranchise its audience so quickly. Right from the very start, you're subjected to a scene between two characters getting into a pointless argument. It's pointless, because so much of the argument is being improvised by shitty actors (including writer/director and sad sack Brett Haley). Add amateurish camerawork, and guess what? You're watching a mumblecore movie, and it fucking sucks. Instead of fear, you actually feel relief when the completely uninteresting Ridge Runner finally does make his appearance, because it means that you won't have to listen to these privileged, bourgeois pieces of shit talk in circles for much longer. The worst movie I have seen all month and possibly all time. I almost ended the challenge early due to this movie.

29. Hobgoblins (1988) - Hulu, part of 13 Nights of Elvira. Do not watch this movie unless either MST3K or Elvira is lampooning it. Otherwise, this Gremlins knock-off is completely unbearable. You have been warned.

30. Ghoulies III: Ghoulies Go to College (1991)
  31. Night School (1981) - From the 8th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nezumi View Post
    A killer is running around Boston beheading students from a women's college that are taking an anthropology professor's night class. There are some good, suspenseful kills, but things quickly fall apart by the end. It's all capped off with one of the cheapest of "cheap scare" endings. The yummy Rachel Ward makes a memorable film debut. Director Ken Hughes was also responsible for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
    My appreciation for this film actually grew upon watching it again this year. Ken Hughes really knows how to ratchet up the tension in one particular diner sequence, it's almost masterful.

32. Blood Widow (2014) - Google Play. You know, I'm willing to forgive a slasher film's transgressions as long as the killer has an interesting hook. Blood Widow's killer is that rare femaie masked murderer, and she has a kinky bondage-inspired costume. The filmmakers attempt to explain why she's dressed the way she's dressed, but they don't really explain what a "blood widow" is. What does that even mean? Anyway, a young couple moves in next door to the condemned boarding school (which looks incredibly sound for a condemned structure) that our killer calls home. When the couple's friends break into the Widow's home and later throw a chiptune-fueled kegger, B.W. rolls out the murder wagon. The kills are, thankfully, decent and frequent. However, the film is poorly lit (especially in the beginning). Remember, young filmmakers, there's a fine distinction between moody, atmospheric lighting and unintelligible footage. There really isn't an ending to the film so much as it just ends. Even with these glaring flaws, I had a decent enough of a time watching the film and would probably rent a sequel if one ever gets made.

33. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948) - Broadcast television, part of Svengoolie.
  34. Hell's Highway (2002) - Can a film's obvious failings be mitigated by an overabundance of gore? Sleazemeister Jeff Leroy appears to be posing that very question with this film, and I'm afraid that the answer is a resounding "No." Still, I will admit that it is one of the more regrettably memorable movies that I watched for this challenge. The "twist" at the end is completely gratuitous (and yet in line with the tone of the film). Ron Jeremy appears in what's basically a credited cameo.

35. The Cellar Door (2007) - You know that old adage about how children should be seen and not heard? Sometimes it also applies to serial killers. After a strong start, the filmmakers ruin everything by giving lines to the serial killer who has stalked and imprisoned a young woman in his basement. All you need is Joe Mantegna, and you would have an episode of Criminal Minds on your hands. The quote on the disc case is pulled from a DVD Talk review(!) and it reads, "... if you're into Jigsaw and Leatherface's antics, The Cellar Door is worth checking out..." Clearly, the reviewer has no idea what s/he is talking about.

36. The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
  37. Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
  38. The Munsters' Revenge (1981) - Fred Gwynne, Yvonne deCarlo and Al Lewis reprise their respective roles as Herman, Lily and Grandpa Munster for this cheap made-for-television movie. In true Munsters tradition, Marilyn is played by yet another actress (Jo McDonnell). Butch Patrick, who had aged out of the role of Eddie, is replaced by K.C. Martel. Also joining the cast is Uncle Phantom of the Opera, who quickly wears out his welcome. He has one gag which is repeated ad nauseam and makes sitting through the rest of the film a chore. Sid Caesar and the hoary borscht belt humor don't help.

39. Ernest Scared Stupid (1991)
  40. Elfie Hopkins: Cannibal Hunter (2012) - Google Play. Jaime Winstone (daughter of Ray) plays the title character, a woman who looks like the world's most haggard teenager. She's coping with the death of her mother by smoking weed with her best mate and "investigating cases," which involves them snooping around the private lives of the residents of their sleepy hunting village. Then a new family moves in next door, and their eccentricities are too enticing for Elfie to overlook. For a horror-comedy, the film's light on the laughs. Also, Elfie is too inaccessible a character. She's so damaged that all her dialogue and mannerisms are cribbed from detective movies and television programs. The psychotic family is almost likable by comparison. When your audience is rooting for the bad guys, you've taken a wrong turn somewhere.

41. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown / Best of the Worst, "The Item, The Crawlers, and Blood Lock"* - Broadcast television / Youtube.
  42. The Crow (1994)
  43. The Return of the Vampire (1944) - Broadcast television.
  44. The Simpsons, "Treehouse of Horror XXV" / Brooklyn Nine-Nine, "Halloween II" / The Andy Griffith Show, "The Haunted House" / Yo Gabba Gabba!, "Halloween" - Broadcast television / Broadcast television / DVD / DVD.
  45. The Legend of Sorrow Creek (2007)

That's all for this year! See you next October!

Last edited by nezumi; 11-06-14 at 10:56 PM.